Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:23:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lawlor again  (Read 5417 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Lawlor again
« Reply #30 on October 18, 2017, 09:20:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Some big names here......

https://youtu.be/ksY9Pll3gDM

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 18, 2017, 09:26:32 pm by Jonathan »
Last night's mistake really isn't worth dwelling on. That momentary lapse can happen to anyone. If he was bad enough for that kind of error to be a normal part of his game then he wouldn't even be able to get on a Sunday league bench, let alone anything else. That one can just be forgotten and move on.

There are areas of his game that can improve - command of the penalty box and starting position for shots from distance. But as others have rightly said he is only a young goalkeeper and he does have undoubted potential.

Clearly he put last night's error behind him very quickly and saved us late on. All credit to him for that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 18, 2017, 09:32:03 pm by silent majority »
I doubt anybody could have felt as bad as he did last night, a painful lesson he won't forget.

But I've seen much higher profile keepers make serious blunders, Gary Sprake anyone? And I happened to be in Croatia for that England game in 2006 and because of the tension and atmosphere that night it just added to the experience. Not something I would wish to repeat in a hurry.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 18, 2017, 09:46:02 pm by Paul Simpson »
We're lucky to have him at Donny. He's a class act and can only get better ! We all make mistakes don't we? He's made a very positive impact to our club imo ⚽️😀👍

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 18, 2017, 10:01:03 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I doubt anybody could have felt as bad as he did last night, a painful lesson he won't forget.

But I've seen much higher profile keepers make serious blunders, Gary Sprake anyone? And I happened to be in Croatia for that England game in 2006 and because of the tension and atmosphere that night it just added to the experience. Not something I would wish to repeat in a hurry.

Gary Sprake was well known for howlers but he no doubt made a decent living from footy mind you it was Leeds he played for so it was worth it to laugh at them

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 18, 2017, 10:04:09 pm by MachoMadness »
People say our fans are negative, however I'd like to point out that after our keeper made one of the worst mistakes it's possible to make we have numerous threads on here largely praising the guy for his performances since joining us.

Granted, some of that probably has to do with us winning, but still nice to see.

It isn't a patch on Andy Warrington's swing-and-a-miss vs Wednesday anyway, although the elaborate star jump motion made that one.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 18, 2017, 10:24:40 pm by POD »
Looking at the incident here, why does Lawlor even attempt to play the ball to Baudry, when he is marked and only has the option to play the ball back for the keeper still to kick upfield.  Sometimes, the keeper has to think to himself, the best option is just to kick it upfield in the first place for a 50/50 and see what happens.

Joe Hart appears to have  the same dilemma when playing for England, when he seems to always look to play out from the back.  On Saturday he just booted the ball upfield for West Ham against Burnley and it resulted in a 'route one' goal.  Not pretty, but effective... And no risk of an own goal.

aussyroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 19, 2017, 04:18:46 am by aussyroy »
To Paul Simpson.
some, or most of your comments are pathetic.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 19, 2017, 06:37:47 am by DRNaith »
I remember the below, said in jest but shows that keepers need a thick skin.

"We watched the 50 greatest Premier League Goals on the team bus - and Sully must have been in 49 of them!"

Doncaster's Richie Wellens on Rovers keeper Neil Sullivan.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 19, 2017, 07:44:53 am by Metalmicky »
Is Lawlor Latin for liability? ;)

I believe that a rough translation from Latin for the word 'liability' is in fact................................................ Taylor-Sinclair 

*In truth the correct translation of ''liability' in Latin is 'Rusticis' - which I found quite amusing also........

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 19, 2017, 07:46:26 am by drfchound »
Looking at the incident here, why does Lawlor even attempt to play the ball to Baudry, when he is marked and only has the option to play the ball back for the keeper still to kick upfield.  Sometimes, the keeper has to think to himself, the best option is just to kick it upfield in the first place for a 50/50 and see what happens.

Joe Hart appears to have  the same dilemma when playing for England, when he seems to always look to play out from the back.  On Saturday he just booted the ball upfield for West Ham against Burnley and it resulted in a 'route one' goal.  Not pretty, but effective... And no risk of an own goal.

It could just be possible that the keepers you mention are instructed to play the way they do !!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 19, 2017, 07:54:59 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It could just be possible that the keepers you mention are instructed to play the way they do !!

They certainly are and we use it as a tactic.  It's fair to say Lawlor's long kicks aren't the best (a bit like Neil Sullivan) but building through the defence is a clear tactic.

A point to note though that even the best keepers we've had make errors.  I remember being at Cardiff for example heading for a draw 90th minute and Neil Sullivan let one in through his hands - it happens.  Indeed we beat Leicester at the Keepmoat through a shocker from Schmeichel and he won the Premier league 2 years after that.....

What I did like was his attitude and that's a lot of the difference between Lawlor and Etheridge.  Lawlor got straight up had a drink and carried on playing making probably the best save he's made here late on.  That showed character from him.  Etheridge and to some extent Marosi would be more in their shells.

Lawlor at his age has a lot of ability and will likely only get better.  He'll become a huge player for us.  He's not perfect but he has all the attributes to be very good.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 19, 2017, 09:52:02 am by RoversAlias »
I think Lawlor has a really good, strong kick on him to be fair it's just he's instructed often to aim for the touchline player and they're the ones he often skews out of play. Watch how good the height and distance are on ones he sends straight up the middle.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 19, 2017, 10:06:00 am by ravenrover »
the classic Gary Sprake v Liverpool

TinyPortal © 2005-2012