Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:21:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ron Walker  (Read 5553 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Ron Walker
« on November 16, 2017, 08:24:35 am by The Red Baron »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Ron Walker
« Reply #1 on November 16, 2017, 08:28:49 am by idler »
He played regularly in my first couple of seasons watching Rovers.
I remember him ending up in goal in the League Cup game against Chelsea. I think it was 2-7 at the end, good job Jimmy Greaves didn't play.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 16, 2017, 02:29:06 pm by podrover73 »
From the Wiki page about him

Ronald "Ron" "Ronnie" Walker (born 4 February 1932) was an English footballer who played as an outside left for Doncaster Rovers and Bath City.

Contents

1 Playing career
        1.1 Doncaster Rovers
        1.2 Bath City
    2 Later life
    3 References

Playing career
Doncaster Rovers

He made his debut first team appearance in the Division 2 game at Lincoln City on 30 August 1952 in front of a crowd of 20,775[1] and scored his first goal in his next match at Huddersfield on 9 September in a 3−1 defeat. In his first season, he played either outside left or inside left, scoring 4 times in his 21 games.[2]

The following season was similar, though for the 1954−55 season competition for places was tough with him playing 8 games, and without scoring.[2] Next season was marginally better with the same appearances but scoring 3 times, including the first time he had scored in a club win as he and Alick Jeffrey put goals past West Ham United in a 2−1 victory at Belle Vue.[2]

Walker featured more in the 1956−57 season with 9 goals in 30 games, leaving him as 3rd top scorer at the club.[2] Doncaster were relegated the next season but Walker ended up as top scorer with 9 goals and played in every League and FA Cup game.[2] A second successive relegation came for Doncaster, and with it Walker was again top scorer at the club, sharing this with Jimmy Fletcher. Now in Division 4, Walker played in all but 2 league and FA Cup games, scoring his very first FA Cup goal in the round 1 replay win at Gainsborough Trinity.[2]

In the 1960−61 season, his last at Doncaster, he played in 25 league and cup games including the first season of the Football League Cup in which he scored a brace in a 3−1 win against Stoke City.[2]
Bath City

Walker then moved to Bath City[2] where he was part of the side that drew 1−1 with Bolton Wanderers in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in January 1964. He played till the end of the 1966−67 season after which he became player-manager of Bath's reserve side for one year.[3]
Later life

He remained in Bath, working at Stothert & Pitts engineering works, continued to play local football for some years.[4]

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 16, 2017, 02:40:22 pm by The Red Baron »
Thanks Pod. That's saved me some time.

I have made the club aware of Ron's passing.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 16, 2017, 04:42:56 pm by roversam »
I remember him ending up in goal in the League Cup game against Chelsea. I think it was 2-7 at the end, good job Jimmy Greaves didn't play.
it was even worse idler, it was 7-0 to chelsea 😢

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 16, 2017, 05:54:14 pm by CGJ »
Remember Ron well. Regularly watched him in his Reserve days, out on the left wing and very much noted for being one footed.
Also recall two other Walkers, Geoff and Jimmy around the same era.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 16, 2017, 06:00:39 pm by sheffield exile1 »

You might be thinking of the Spurs 7-2 away in the league cup mid 70's?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 16, 2017, 08:02:55 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I was only a kid when I saw him but what a player he was.
I remember him more as an old inside left than a winger.
Probably once of the best midfield players I've seen at the club.

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 16, 2017, 08:30:51 pm by the dons »
Ron Walker (peg leg) was a old fashioned left winger of the highest calibre

of the late 50s early 60s.I can never remember him playing anywhere but

on the left wing. He like Johnny Mooney always looked older than the rest

of the team, but they were both very good WINGERS. :scarf: :bscarf:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 16, 2017, 10:52:36 pm by idler »
Cheers Sam, I was there that night and had the programme but can't remember what happened to it.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 03, 2017, 09:32:46 pm by RedRover45 »
Cheers Sam, I was there that night and had the programme but can't remember what happened to it.

The going rate for that programme is about £40 if you find it 😉

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 04, 2017, 08:06:59 am by idler »
That's not bad. It was about £100 a few years ago.
I do have the one from the earlier FA cup game against Chelsea. That has Jimmmy Greaves autograph on the front although I don't think that he actually played that afternoon either.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 04, 2017, 02:03:40 pm by craigdrfc »
From what I have seen the general value of programmes have fallen in recent years. There are always a few key items that people will pay a lot for but anything older than 1930s can be picked up quite cheaply now.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 04, 2017, 02:14:49 pm by idler »
eBay has knocked prices down. At one time it was either dealers or programme fairs.
I've two suitcases full in the loft that I will probably get rid of in the next couple of years. I might keep the old supporters club handbooks, I have just about every one since the war. I have some other Rovers memorabilia as well but can't see my son or grandsons wanting to keep them.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 04, 2017, 03:06:06 pm by graingrover »
I too only remember 'peg leg' Walker ( because he only used his left foot on the ball)  ever playing on the  left wing . In that team with a forward line that read  JohnnyMooney ,Bert  Tindill , Eddie McMorran , Alick Jeffrey and Ron Walker ;goals could come from all areas and angles with crosses galore from the two wingers . 

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 04, 2017, 04:21:21 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Did he play "for" Sunderland in his youth or "in" Sunderland, or neither? Anyone know of his early history?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 04, 2017, 04:31:52 pm by The Red Baron »
He was on Sunderland's books as an amateur. Basically he was a youth teamer with them. He never played for their first team.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 04, 2017, 04:48:17 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
He was on Sunderland's books as an amateur. Basically he was a youth teamer with them. He never played for their first team.

Thanks, that's what I thought but someone questioned it. Is there any evidence of it?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 04, 2017, 04:51:29 pm by The Red Baron »
In the Barry Hugman book it says he signed for us after being with Sunderland as an amateur. It was also mentioned in the Rovers handbook.

http://hugmansfootballers.com/search/do_search/60?search_text=Walker
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:05:57 pm by The Red Baron »

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 21, 2017, 11:32:30 pm by RedRover45 »
eBay has knocked prices down. At one time it was either dealers or programme fairs.
I've two suitcases full in the loft that I will probably get rid of in the next couple of years. I might keep the old supporters club handbooks, I have just about every one since the war. I have some other Rovers memorabilia as well but can't see my son or grandsons wanting to keep them.

You have a pm mate

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 22, 2017, 02:05:58 pm by idler »
i

You have a pm mate
Thanks, reply sent, Dave

TinyPortal © 2005-2012