Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:56:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the two cup games Rochdale and Scunthorpe  (Read 7600 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the two cup games Rochdale and Scunthorpe
« on November 26, 2017, 09:35:35 am by selby »
  Two cup games with different teams being fielded a distinct possibility,and with a different level of importance to a lot of supporters,one a competition where the inclusion of top teams demean the competition,and one where the top teams find a chore and do demean the competition themselves,not taking it seriously until the later rounds.
  Back to us,to me both games are important because if we go out of both realistically,apart from survival in division one thats season over,and momentum on and off the field probably stalled for a couple of months.
  And importantly,the prize money from both competitions could come in handy in January with regard to bringing in a couple of players.
  None of the games will be easy,the level of importance to Scunthorpe may be lower than ours considering their league position,but with a big pay day a possibility I doubt it,but I would like them to rest Bishop please,although I enjoy watching him play.
Rochdale on the other hand may see it as a chance  for glory,and play a strong team on Tuesday,against what  I expect us to field a much changed young side.
  So,  What would your line up be Tuesday?
         Have you fallen out with both competitions ?
         Does the F.A.cup still get you excited ?
          Is playing on a Sunday upseting your weekend plans to go to the Game?
        Do these two games have any bearing on Fergies future plans at the club,and the pressure  he is under from some sections of our supporters ?
  If we win on Tuesday,will you take more interest in the future rounds? 
  Lets have some good banter guys,a lot to discuss.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the two cup games Rochdale and Scunthorpe
« Reply #1 on November 26, 2017, 10:11:21 am by The Red Baron »
I don't like the format of the Checkatrade but I do appreciate it gives opportunities to our youngsters.

I am very hacked off with the FA Cup game being on Sunday, although neither club had any say in it. However I will be there.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 26, 2017, 10:15:28 am by IDM »
We should pick sides capable of winning, and go balls out to win both.  Cup runs are great, and the extra games allow for other players to get a chance.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 26, 2017, 10:18:34 am by Bezza »
will the crowd against Scunny be affected by the BBC putting it on a sunday, and if so would we get compensated?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 26, 2017, 10:23:27 am by IDM »
We might get some money for the amount of highlights but who decides the fixture dates, the BBC or the FA??

And no, I doubt the attendance would be affected too much.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 26, 2017, 10:35:04 am by Bezza »
don`t know what Premier league games are on next Sunday, but i would think it will affect the crowd.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 26, 2017, 10:55:31 am by The Red Baron »
We might get some money for the amount of highlights but who decides the fixture dates, the BBC or the FA??

And no, I doubt the attendance would be affected too much.

There's a set fee for games moved to Sunday for highlights. Nothing like as much for a live game though.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 26, 2017, 11:39:20 am by mrfrostsdad »
The importance of the Scunthorpe cup game has been well covered in an earlier thread (when the draw was made)
Personally, I would sooner us get knocked out of both these cups if it made us able to concentrate on the league. As I posted in the previous thread, let's say we beat SKitsonhorpre then get Man Utd away in the third round. What will that do to our form? We saw what happened when we drew Aresenal away in the league cup

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 26, 2017, 12:16:09 pm by idler »
Man Unt. away would be early January leaving us with a nice lump sum to invest in loan signings. Especially if we beat them in a replay.😉

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 26, 2017, 12:20:36 pm by anne honemous »
I don't mind progressing in either, but neither are a priority.

At Rochdale we should probably field a similar side to what we've done already in that competition. Likewise for the Scunthorpe game, with a side similar to what played at Ebbsfleet, even though we're underdogs.

If any of the kids do well at Rochdale, they deserve a squad place at least for Scunny IMO.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 26, 2017, 01:32:03 pm by IDM »
I would rather help engender a winning mentality..  Go for it in both games and hopefully run that form into the league..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 26, 2017, 01:43:19 pm by selby »
M.F.D. would you make it part of the call for a management change if we do lose both games,I agree with IDM try and win both cup games.
  There could be a lot of money at stake,the chance to fund a couple of new players hopefully on full time contracts to the club and not loanees.
  It will not be easy but is doable,without affecting our league form,and could inspire us to better form all round.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 26, 2017, 03:57:41 pm by mrfrostsdad »
M.F.D. would you make it part of the call for a management change if we do lose both games,I agree with IDM try and win both cup games.
  There could be a lot of money at stake,the chance to fund a couple of new players hopefully on full time contracts to the club and not loanees.
  It will not be easy but is doable,without affecting our league form,and could inspire us to better form all round.

No I wouldn't.
Personally, I would make as many changes as the competition allows for the Rochdale game. Play the kids because it really doesn't matter.

For the Scunthorpe game, I wouldn't play Copps or Marquis. Give them both a rest for games that really matter. I'd bring in Marosi, Ben Khemis and Allcock, because in the bigger scheme of things it doesn't matter that much if we get knocked out.
The league is the only thing that matters

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 26, 2017, 04:08:31 pm by bobbymax »
The Rochdale team will be the usual mixture of youth and fringe players. No reason not to play our strongest available XI v the Scunny Bunnies as we have a six-day break until the next match.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 26, 2017, 04:36:26 pm by phil old leake »
Idler I have to disagree with your text.  It’s not IFwe beat them ITS WHEN
If nothing else Rochdale should get A Beestin a start

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 26, 2017, 04:38:18 pm by selby »
  Sorry M.F.D.I dont think many of our supporters would agree with you, and it looks narrow minded and lacking in ambition and confidence to me.
   I can accept losing (well I try To) but I expect my club to try and win every game they play,give their best,and the management to have the attitude that they want to win every game.
   I agree that  we should mix the team a little for the Rochdale tie, and expect us to do so,but that does not mean picking a team that cannot compete at the level required to win the tie.
  If we then go on to lose and have given it a go,then so what,but if you go with the idea it does not matter, you short change the few fans who go to the game,and they do not deserve that.
  The only thing that matters to me is the  respect  my club has
 from other teams supporters, something that was brought home to me in the Richardson era when supporters of this club won admiration and respect for fighting for what was right in spite of provocation.
  The minute we become  billy big b*llocks at our level we will lose that, and become just another club on the make.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 26, 2017, 04:57:19 pm by Campsall rover »
How anyone can say the FA Cup doesn't matter astounds me.
It is still the greatest Cup competition in the world.
A Cup run gives everyone a lift up, brings media coverage to the Club and puts the town firmly on the map.
Also if we got one of the top teams away from home the club can make 3,4 or even £500.000 from one match.
If all of the above doesn't matter then I quite frankly despair. :facepalm:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 26, 2017, 09:26:38 pm by drfchound »
When I was a very young lad we drew Bristol City at home in the FACup third round.

They had John Atteyo who was their big star centre forward in their team, he had been an England player.

I had been a Rovers fan for all of two seasons at the time but the fixture captured the imagination of lots of boys in my school and we all went to see the match, which we drew 2-2 by the way.
Many of the boys who went that day are still Rovers fans.

Imagine if that was to happen again this season if we drew a big club in round three.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 26, 2017, 11:17:26 pm by idler »
Fred Taylor, a product of our youth team scored a cracking second goal to put us 2-1 up.
We conceded late goals even in those days and then lost the replay.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 27, 2017, 09:27:55 am by Donnywolf »
As an aside - v Rochdale tomorrow - how is it settled if a Draw at 90 minutes ?

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 27, 2017, 09:33:57 am by mrfrostsdad »
How anyone can say the FA Cup doesn't matter astounds me.
It is still the greatest Cup competition in the world.
A Cup run gives everyone a lift up, brings media coverage to the Club and puts the town firmly on the map.
Also if we got one of the top teams away from home the club can make 3,4 or even £500.000 from one match.
If all of the above doesn't matter then I quite frankly despair. :facepalm:

You only have to look at the crowds for FA Cup matches to see how much it matters to most fans/clubs.
I would like us to win both cup games and every league game to the end of the season, but it's not going to happen.
My point is, the league is much more important than any cup competition. I would much sooner us have beaten Scunny in the league and lose to them in the cup than the other way round

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 27, 2017, 09:40:42 am by IDM »
There are 26 more league games to go - plenty of opportunities to concentrate on the league methinks..

Different matter if there were only a handful of games left and promotion or relegation was a distinct possibility..

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 27, 2017, 10:44:11 am by The Red Baron »

Straight to penalties. I think extra time only applies in the Final and possibly the semis.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 27, 2017, 11:51:24 am by Dutch Uncle »
When I was a very young lad we drew Bristol City at home in the FACup third round.

They had John Atteyo who was their big star centre forward in their team, he had been an England player.

I had been a Rovers fan for all of two seasons at the time but the fixture captured the imagination of lots of boys in my school and we all went to see the match, which we drew 2-2 by the way.
Many of the boys who went that day are still Rovers fans.

Imagine if that was to happen again this season if we drew a big club in round three.

I was at that match as well (18000+ were there), and as I recall Bristol City scored in the first and last minute, and we dominated most of the time between. The replay meant that Alick's third game back after 7 years out was at Ashton gate where he had broken his leg so badly. By the way, Bristol City were beaten 6-1 at Sunderland in the next round.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 28, 2017, 08:55:29 am by selby »
  Scunthorpe look to have sold about 750 tickets for the cup tie up to yesterday,I was hoping for a few more but with the rest of the week to go its not bad  I suppose.
    Lets hope that Gary Alexander gets the manager of the month award,and the usual dip occurs.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 28, 2017, 01:29:31 pm by steve@dcfd »
Scunthorpe do not play this week so their first team will be ready for Sunday. Rochdale who won their group don’t play while Monday night.

We must make sure our first team players are ready for Sunday. Therefore Marquis should be not used tonight. Houghton is not playing tonight and is at Chelsea rehab, feeling his knee.

I know that DF wants use more of his experienced players tonight.
Therefore Baudry, Alcock, Toffolo, Blair, Kongolo, Ben Khemis, Mandeville and Beestin. 
Are Walker, Fielding and Jones available?
Is Longbottom fit ?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 28, 2017, 01:36:47 pm by drfchound »
Scunthorpe do not play this week so their first team will be ready for Sunday. Rochdale who won their group don’t play while Monday night.

We must make sure our first team players are ready for Sunday. Therefore Marquis should be not used tonight. Houghton is not playing tonight and is at Chelsea rehab, feeling his knee.

I know that DF wants use more of his experienced players tonight.
Therefore Baudry, Alcock, Toffolo, Blair, Kongolo, Ben Khemis, Mandeville and Beestin. 
Are Walker, Fielding and Jones available?
Is Longbottom fit ?

I don't know why Steve, but whenever i see one of your posts i think of an EPC report. :scarf:

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 28, 2017, 01:41:57 pm by DMnumber4 »

Straight to penalties. I think extra time only applies in the Final and possibly the semis.

You mean the winner doesn't get two points for drawing and winning a shoot-out? Ridiculous!

All this "concentrate on the league" cobblers is just that, cobblers! Are teams not concentrating on the league for 46 games over a nine month period?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 28, 2017, 01:46:39 pm by wing commander »
  I quite fancy us tonight,so I've had a little Barney Rubble on us win and Khemis to score...But what people are saying is right,this doesn't matter...

I disagree with the Scunny game though..That does matter..Somebody mentioned a away day at Old Trafford..In the fa cup that's big money and wouldn't just fund a couple of loan signing but put us a different level for next season we cant sniff at anything that helps financially..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 28, 2017, 02:00:15 pm by selby »
Steve,Marosi should play if fit and Garrett will not suffer from another run out at his age,if only for part of the game.
  Dont forget that so many of the team have to be involved in the previous league fixture,but I would like to see Fielding involved if possible.
  Decent prize money on offer tonight as well,which I would think Rochdale will be eyeing just as much as ourselves.
  It will not hurt Beestin to have another run out for at least part of the game,the same as Garrett,the more they get used to first team football the better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012