Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:21:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the two cup games Rochdale and Scunthorpe  (Read 7591 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the two cup games Rochdale and Scunthorpe
« Reply #30 on November 28, 2017, 02:31:37 pm by Dutch Uncle »
How about:

Marosi
Alcock, Baudry, Garrett, Toffolo
Mason
Blair, Whiteman, Kongolo
Beestin, Mandeville

Bench:
Jones/Lawlor, Amos, Fielding, Ben Khemis, Fletcher, James, Marquis

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 28, 2017, 02:55:10 pm by Bezza »
like the look of your team for this game Dutch.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 28, 2017, 02:56:57 pm by Guernsey Exile »
I think Beestin deserves a go in both games

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 28, 2017, 04:16:23 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Like the look of that, Dutch. Maybe Ben Khemis in for Kongolo? Suppose we'll see in a few hours won't we.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on November 28, 2017, 05:00:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think it would be extremely risky to play both Garrett and Toffolo in the team, rather one in and one on the bench.

I also think Ben Khemis will play, maybe alongside Beestin and the two just behind Mandeville.

Marosi

Alcock
Baudry
Toffolo

Mason
Whiteman
James
Kongolo

Beestin
Ben Khemis

Mandeville

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 28, 2017, 08:08:01 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Like the look of that, Dutch. Maybe Ben Khemis in for Kongolo? Suppose we'll see in a few hours won't we.

Excellent call Monkcaster!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 29, 2017, 12:27:28 am by selby »
  Well two things stood out tonight,Mandeville was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch,and that Whiteman and Mason are not midfield generals.
  We set off like a house on fire,and could have been two up in the first ten minutes,their defenders clearing two off the line with the goalkeeper beaten,and the keeper making two good saves.
 Then gradually we lost control in midfield, our passing and service to the front men being very poor,and only Mandeville being able to trouble the Rochdale back four,and being given very little support by anyone around him.He really was on a different level to anyone else.
   Ben Khemis did OK but is easily knocked off stride,and was part of a very poor midfield who created nothing for the front runners,the main danger being Mandeville running with the ball and his close control.Blair did well early doors down the right and was unlucky not to score.
   I cant comment on their penalty as  it was not clear what happened.After that Rochdale had most of the game,but created no clear cut chances,I cannot remember Marosi making a save,although they had a couple of scrambles in front of goal that got cleared.
  Mandeville created and took a good goal with Ben Khemis,and we missed a chance to win the game on a break,when Blair and Beestin were two on one on the half way line ,and managed to pass it to their defender.
  The penalty shoot out resulted in nine unstoppable penalties and Rowes telegraphed one to the keepers right as usual and we were out.The only kick I think he had after coming on as a substitute 2mins from the end for Whiteman, who looked in a bad way with a leg injury.
  Unlucky in the first 15 minutes,our goalkeeper did not make a save of note all the game,yet still we do not have the guile to win the game.
  The same weaknesses surfaced again,without Coppinger, Houghton and Rowe in midfield the other players are too weak and are in no way creative enough,or tough enough for this division. McCollough could be the answer, but we also need another who is a spoiler with a bit of class,and a right wing/ full back who can defend.
   It is hard to asses Beestin who did nothing,but he did nothing with nothing coming from midfield,only Mandeville putting anything like a decent ball that he could work with for him to have  a chance.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 29, 2017, 08:21:37 am by steve@dcfd »
Selby didn’t go last night but our midfield has been poor all season. You say that Mason and Whiteman are not midfield generals no there not otherwise they would be playing in our midfield regularly. Mason has played there maybe three times this season.
You talk about Coppinger and Rowe they have been luxury players this season. They get picked because we do not have any choice, doesn’t mean they have been good. For me Rowe has been the biggest disappointment so far. Coppinger again has all the flicks and tricks but where are the goals and creating chances.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 29, 2017, 09:23:21 am by wing commander »
  I quite fancy us tonight,so I've had a little Barney Rubble on us win and Khemis to score...But what people are saying is right,this doesn't matter...

I disagree with the Scunny game though..That does matter..Somebody mentioned a away day at Old Trafford..In the fa cup that's big money and wouldn't just fund a couple of loan signing but put us a different level for next season we cant sniff at anything that helps financially..

I would have thought after a expensive divorce I would have learned by now that when I fancied something the best course of action is to run the other way..!!!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 29, 2017, 09:32:23 am by drfchound »
  I quite fancy us tonight,so I've had a little Barney Rubble on us win and Khemis to score...But what people are saying is right,this doesn't matter...

I disagree with the Scunny game though..That does matter..Somebody mentioned a away day at Old Trafford..In the fa cup that's big money and wouldn't just fund a couple of loan signing but put us a different level for next season we cant sniff at anything that helps financially..

I would have thought after a expensive divorce I would have learned by now that when I fancied something the best course of action is to run the other way..!!!!

Ah but you still had the excitement and the pleasure of the gamble.   :thumbsup:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 29, 2017, 09:51:00 am by selby »
  That goal of Mandevilles was class finishing, run into space,good first touch taking the ball away from the defender,draw the goalkeeper,pass it calmly into the net.I hope the others were watching ,instead of the usual stab four yards in front and then a scramble,and a shot blocked.
  We may not see it again,now we are out of this cup.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on November 29, 2017, 01:56:22 pm by selby »
On to the Scunthorpe game, a game that will test our home form,and I expect a stronger side to be turned out than last night.
  The way Whiteman went off the field I will be surprised if we see him again soon,so a place probably up for grabs. He started behind Copps who was shoved up with Marquis in the first half.
  I would bring in Mandeville,but expect the clamour to be for Beestin,the sitting player in mid field could be a problem if Houghton is not fit,in that case I would play Baudry in that position.
  This game is very important if we are to extend some interest to after Christmas in a cup competition,or just play out the season in the bottom half of the league 1.Knowing us we will do an Exeter again and blow a fortune away in the next round.
  At least we will have the  pleasure of watching Bishop go about the field exhibiting the type of experienced mid field destroyer we could do with,getting the ball and giving it ten yards to someone who can play.
   Whats your take on this game?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 29, 2017, 02:03:53 pm by drfchound »
I really dislike Bishop selby but i would love him to be our player.
If only we had one like him eh.

On the P v O thread i have gone for a Rovers win, mainly because that is what i want rather than what i truly expect.

Even if we pick our strongest available eleven i somehow doubt that we will be good enough to beat Scunny on the day when i consider our recent form.

It would be great to get to R3 and get a proper glamour tie.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 29, 2017, 03:30:49 pm by Campsall rover »
I know it might sound daft to suggest it, but it may just be a good time to play Scunthorpe.
They are on the back of 6 consecutive wins in the league,
So 1) Due a defeat & 2) They will now be seriously looking at promotion and just might take their eye off the ball on Sunday.
Or maybe I am grasping at straws and just looking for the positives.
We will see, but one thing is for sure if we play with the same passion as we did in the 2nd half on Saturday against MK Dons and we do it for 90 + mins then we will win. The key is 90+ mins as we are yet to produce it this season.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 29, 2017, 04:05:02 pm by The Red Baron »
Alfie May posted something on Instagram to the effect that he's raring to go for Sunday. I think he could well be on the bench.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the two cup games Rochdale and SKitsonhorp
« Reply #45 on November 29, 2017, 04:08:59 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes I agree I would play Baudry in Houghton's position if he is not fit.
If he is I would try Baudry at right back as I personally do ot think Mason or Alcock are good enough at this level and Blair is not a full back and clearly does not enjoy playing as a wing back either.
You could see that at Wigan ( he was looking at DF for some help )
None forthcoming I may add and I felt desperately sorry for him as he was at times made to look silly 2 on 1 situations time after time.
If you play Blair then it has to be a right midfielder where he can attack and not have to do as much defending. Problem is centre midfield is too weak to play a four across the middle hence the diamond we have to play.
My Team for Sunday:

Lawler

Baudry.          Wright.                Butler.              Garrett

Houghton

Blair                                   Rowe
                                       Coppinger

Mandeville.              Marquis

Subs: Marosi, Alcock, Mason, Toffolo, Kongolo, Ben Kemis, Beestin.

Yes it is an attacking formation but with what we have available and assuming Whiteman is not fit, then I would go with that line up.

Any thoughts ?                                   

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 29, 2017, 04:10:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Garrett is left back. I don't know why he move to the right when I sent the post.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 29, 2017, 04:40:54 pm by selby »
According to the Scunny forum it looks like they are going to bring a 1500 plus crowd so there should be a good cup atmosphere for this game.
   I hope our home crowd respond to the cheap ticket offer and attend in good numbers, and the team give us something to shout about. We have not had a good cup run for too long now.Its time to pull our finger out and have a good go.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on November 29, 2017, 05:00:35 pm by graingrover »
I too watched last night and have little to add  to Selby's good report . The first 10 minutes promised so much with free movement then they all seemed to get their notebooks out and check where they should be standing because  from then on they were never adventurous . Mandy must have felt as isolated as Marquis usually is . A word of mention for Butler who upon entering the field as sub ,marshalled the back line and we improved . A mention for Toffolo too last night .. Ugh !

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on November 30, 2017, 06:51:11 pm by IDM »
According to the Scunny forum it looks like they are going to bring a 1500 plus crowd so there should be a good cup atmosphere for this game.
   I hope our home crowd respond to the cheap ticket offer and attend in good numbers, and the team give us something to shout about. We have not had a good cup run for too long now.Its time to pull our finger out and have a good go.

Just bought mine online, and looking at the availability in each block I estimate there are over 6000 seats left.  Given the extended away end and segregation probably allows for around 4500 seats, this means I reckon we have sold 4000-4500??

With a couple of days to go I reckon that will mean an attendance of about 6500, not too bad?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on November 30, 2017, 08:21:31 pm by selby »
  The weather as it is will not be helping,but with a clear slightly warmer day forcast for Sunday,there may be a few sales on the walk up,if you can buy on the day that is.
   I have not heard any news on Houghtons fitness for Sunday,hopefully he will play as I think he will be crucial to us in mid field, in the home game earlier in the season Scunthorpe attacked down our right flank at every opportunity where we were over run.Bishop nullified Coppinger and their back four dished it out physically,and I am expecting much the same.
  If we match that side of their game and can settle down to play we have a chance.Since the game at Scunthorpe when they brushed us aside,they have dished it out to us,including to the youngsters in the Cheka Trade game this season. It will not be a game for shrinking violets. Thankfully we seem able to handle that side of the game much better now.
  They are very strong down the middle in defence, and are good on the counter attack, it could be a great match to watch if we are up for it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 02, 2017, 04:18:45 pm by selby »
  Scunthorpe have sold 1626 tickets for the game and with pay on the day may touch 2000,a great effort.I dont know how many we have sold, but it should be a decent atmosphere.
  Both teams are expecting a hard contested game,lets hope it is.and the outcome is a win for The Rovers.
  I hope you enjoy it guys.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 02, 2017, 09:37:43 pm by selby »
I hope to fulfill an ambition tomorrow and see Matt Gilks( the goalkeeper that always seemed to thwart us for Blackpool) and Bishop have a poor game against us.
  Gilks always seems to be in the way even when he Knows nothing about it, I have seen him hit in the face,on his shoulder,and make terrific saves against us.And Bishop,well is just Bishop,putting a foot in,barging into people and looking sinned against,and generally being a thorn in our side,and then suddenly put a great ball through.
  As I said I want them to have a poor game against us for a change please,or better still get the trots and dont play. Now that would be us being lucky for a change.

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 02, 2017, 09:50:58 pm by legendslounger »
got a good felling for tomorrow...  :scarf:

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 02, 2017, 11:55:33 pm by since-1969 »

“For the Scunthorpe game, I wouldn't play Copps or Marquis. Give them both a rest for games that really matter. I'd bring in Marosi, Ben Khemis and Allcock, because in the bigger scheme of things it doesn't matter that much if we get knocked out.
The league is the only thing that matters”
[/quote]

WTF planet are you from? You get through to the next round against a big club and our January window is looking for a perminant quality player instead of another young never played wannabe on loan !
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:05:46 am by since-1969 »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 03, 2017, 12:07:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Anyone who thinks th FA cup doesn't matter seriously must be from a different planet.
Of course it matters as I said on a previous post we could draw one of the big guns away and make 3, 4 or even £500.000
from one match.
Budget for January transfer window and or close season next year increases. That will help strengthen the squad so is beneficial for our bread and butter league fixtures which some on here seem to think  is all that matters.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on December 03, 2017, 04:10:01 pm by hoolahoop »
Well we won the one that really mattered......I will take that haha

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on December 03, 2017, 04:40:06 pm by Filo »
I hope to fulfill an ambition tomorrow and see Matt Gilks( the goalkeeper that always seemed to thwart us for Blackpool) and Bishop have a poor game against us.
  Gilks always seems to be in the way even when he Knows nothing about it, I have seen him hit in the face,on his shoulder,and make terrific saves against us.And Bishop,well is just Bishop,putting a foot in,barging into people and looking sinned against,and generally being a thorn in our side,and then suddenly put a great ball through.
  As I said I want them to have a poor game against us for a change please,or better still get the trots and dont play. Now that would be us being lucky for a change.

Ambition fulfilled?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on December 03, 2017, 05:39:01 pm by selby »
  Thank you Gilks, you got the ball rolling for us with that mistake, and here I was praising you. And Bishop I enjoyed watching you meet your match today, and you should have walked for that tackle on Coppinger.
  To our team including the subs, well played everyone, that’s what you get for everyone playing well, stood up to the physical battle, and were the better football team.
  More of that please in the weeks to come, and we will be OK.  Tommy Rowe my M.O.M. but I expect that other people would pick others as everyone played well.
  A special mention to Lawlor, a magnificent save in the second half, and looked a lot more comfortable with crosses, like the rest of the team played very well.
  Now for the excitement of the 3rd round draw, not that often we could say that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 03, 2017, 10:52:23 pm by selby »
  We have now won £45000 in prize money plus any fee from the T.V. as a featured side today.A win in the 3rd round is worth £67000,not to be sniffed at plus any T.V. money.
 We have done OK in the cups this year,makes a pleasant change to being out of everything in early November,it just shows what avoiding Oldham in the draw can do,and it has been warmer.
 That bridge we talked about crossing a couple of weeks ago,and how teams set off to bully us with the physical stuff has well and truly been crossed.This young side have learnt how to look after themselves now  and  will be a handful for most teams from now on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012