Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:06:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Today  (Read 4566 times)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Today
« on December 03, 2017, 04:28:59 pm by Retdon1 »
I thought we were excellent today. Both with the ball and without it. Rowe was awesome, showing the standard he should be producing more often. I thought marquis and Blair were very good too. Hopefully we can carry this level of performance onto oxford next Saturday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on December 03, 2017, 04:30:50 pm by Superspy »
Yup, we deserved exactly what we got today and it all came from hard work. I wish we worked that hard every week...absolutely brilliant to watch. The intention was clear from the first 10 minutes and apart from the first quarter of an hour in the second half we carried it through. I think the 2nd goal knocked the stuffing out of Scunny...but a win and a clean sheet was fully deserved as far as I'm concerned.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 03, 2017, 04:31:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I agree it was a very good performance.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 03, 2017, 04:52:05 pm by RoversAlias »
Totally agree, and have to say Rowe, Marquis and Blair were our three best players today.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 03, 2017, 04:55:26 pm by Filo »
We can't knock anyone on that performance, everyone put a shift in, Marquis was outstanding in my opinion

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 03, 2017, 04:57:55 pm by Campsall rover »
That was a proper performance today for 95 mins.
The bench mark has now been set. The test is to see if that level of performance can be continued consistently.
If we do then the sky is the limit.  :clapping:  :woohoo:  :thumbsup:

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 03, 2017, 05:02:58 pm by since-1969 »
We can't knock anyone on that performance, everyone put a shift in, Marquis was outstanding in my opinion
yes f*** he was ....Humbug !
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:41:54 pm by since-1969 »

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 03, 2017, 05:06:17 pm by acko »
Excellent win 3/0 is probably above our expectations so that  is more sweeter,pity about the gate tho are the lower league teams treating the fa cup like the big boys

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 03, 2017, 05:09:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Marquis was my man of the match. Great display without all the falling over as in previous games.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 03, 2017, 05:14:20 pm by goalkick »
Cracking game played as a team,never let them get going,marquis put in brill performance,more of this please,shame many of season ticket holders missing. :scarf:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 03, 2017, 05:15:47 pm by mushRTID »
I thought we stood up to their physical game much better than the league game.

They were a dirty but we handled it well and battered them.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 03, 2017, 05:16:03 pm by bobbymax »
Scunny were poor, we were at it from the off and will not have an easier win all season. Hardly a moment's worry to be honest.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 03, 2017, 05:25:33 pm by roversontheup »
Great game to watch. I thought everything was superb today. I was a tad nervous at the beginning of the second half as we were under the cosh. Really missed Matty Blair who I thought was magnificent in the first half. The second goal was against the run of play at that time and knocked Scunthorpe.
I thought everyone was great today but special mention for me for Rowe and Blair.
Great to walk away from the ground with such a wide grin on my face.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 03, 2017, 05:31:09 pm by ravenrover »
Scunny were poor, we were at it from the off and will not have an easier win all season. Hardly a moment's worry to be honest.
apart from the shot across goal just wide, the save by Lawlor with his feet and the one cleared off the line, yep hardly a moments worry

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 03, 2017, 05:34:40 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very happy with the win. Scunthorpe weren't really at it but at 1-0, we can never take anything for granted.

Plenty of chances and three taken eventually but you wonder if we were ruthless how good we'd be.

On the negatives, Tyler Garrett looked out of his depth. We're still a bit shot shy, wanting to walk the ball in.

On the positives, Whiteman was consistently good throughout the game along with Wright and Butler. Marquis was better than of late as was Rowe who'll get the headlines. Beestin had another good game giving Scunny something else to think about and taking some pressure off Marquis.

Another full 90 mins from Copps who kept up a good standard for the rest to follow.

Onwards to the next round!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 03, 2017, 05:45:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
If Blair had played the full game, he would have walked MotM but his injury curtailed that, what a shame. More like it from Rowe and Marquis worked his socks off. Beestin ok but not ready for the full 90 mins yet - needs a bit more work, but lots of promise. Even Kongolo got better as the 2nd half wore on. I would say that is the best I've seen Whiteman play since the start of the season.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 03, 2017, 05:49:46 pm by graingrover »
A big shout of praise for the whole squad today for a comprehensive win and a good performance (without JH too). It was particularly pleasing to see our last substitution was one attacker for another .

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 03, 2017, 06:05:27 pm by LincsRover »
If we play like that for the rest of the season with the passion, the desire & hunger, then we could rise up the league like a helium balloon and could even make the play offs. Unfortuntately I don't think we can or will as this was a cup game and local derby rolled into one. It's now down to fergie to find the switch to turn on this sort of performance every week - I know scunny weren't great but they've won their last 6 games, so, as I read on another thread, this really sets the benchmark and shows what we can achieve when we want it enough!

:clapping:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 03, 2017, 06:08:56 pm by IDM »
We were excellent today, still could have taken more shots, but we didn't let Scunthorpe bully us..

A great win..

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 03, 2017, 06:21:12 pm by adamtherover »

Apart from the two goal line clearances with lawler beaten  you are correct, nothing to worry about.  That said it was a great team performance from the reds.   

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 03, 2017, 06:34:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Great result and performance. Hope it goes to show that putting players in right place and adjusting formation can help bring best out of everyone - in this case, giving Marquis some support and also releasing Tommy Rowe.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 03, 2017, 06:44:44 pm by southwestexile »
Thought Mandy's finish was class. The type of chance our players can be guilty of fluffing

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 03, 2017, 06:54:59 pm by Pancho Regan »
scunny weren't great but they've won their last 6 games, so, as I read on another thread, this really sets the benchmark and shows what we can achieve when we want it enough!

:clapping:

Couldn’t make it today as I had family duties but I’m really chuffed for you lot who went and saw a comprehensive win against the local rivals.
And remember as LincsRover said, Scunny had won their last 6 games on the trot. So a brilliant win all round.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 03, 2017, 06:59:54 pm by balbyrover »
Brilliant result really against a bang in form Scunthorpe side.
They had chances granted and were probably the better side for large parts of the second half but we were fantastic all round. A real complete performance.

Special mention to Rowe and Marquis who I thought were exceptional.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 03, 2017, 08:16:15 pm by The Red Baron »
I was really pleased with today's game. It's always nice to beat the SKitsons but the best thing was the energy and tempo we played with today. Such a contrast to some of the pedestrian stuff we have produced this season. If we play like that every week we'll be fine.

Tommy Rowe was at it today, Marquis gave an outstanding display of centre forward play and Ben Whiteman had his best game for us. The only real weak link was Garratt, but Toffolo improved things when he came on.

I hope Matty Blair isn't out for too long. His pace gave us another dimension, although apart from a couple of shaky moments Rodney did well and had a hand in the second goal.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 03, 2017, 09:09:09 pm by steve@dcfd »
Thought Mandy's finish was class. The type of chance our players can be guilty of fluffing

Quite right but he has to put more into his game to improve especially at this level.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 03, 2017, 09:17:46 pm by dknward2 »
Glad to see goals from midfield and from the bench plus everyone seems to be getting involved with the goals plenty of pass and move and closing down

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 03, 2017, 09:21:28 pm by dickos1 »
Very good performance today, they've won their last 6 games I think

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 03, 2017, 09:22:36 pm by drfchound »
Our best 45 minutes of the season in the first half.
Marquis should have got the stadium MoM award for his effort alone.
Three good finishes for the goals but aided by comedy defending.
Goalie taking far too long to clear for the first, Rowe getting through three players for the second and a ridiculous throw in and poor control leading to the third.
Our supporters would have imploded if our players had done those things.
There are signs that things are improving at last and glad to see us with a back four set up once again which is our strongest way of playing.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 03, 2017, 10:42:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
The third goal was started by the pressing of Marquis on their defender. Full marks to him for that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012