Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:12:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John Marquis  (Read 2867 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
John Marquis
« on December 03, 2017, 05:31:30 pm by Branton Rover »
Was back to his belligerent best today without a doubt, he ran the channels, held the ball up when needed and was back to his wind up best - echoing his early form as a Rovers player when he joined us.

Surely now Fergie will play with 2 up as JM is a different player when he has support rather than trying to cover every blade of grass on his own. Young Alfie was a good in a supporting role but it was Marquis himself who should take the plaudits for a job well done.  Here’s hoping we have options soon to support Marquis - May - Mandeville & hopefully Kwomya will all be available and these options could transform us in the second half of season

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: John Marquis
« Reply #1 on December 03, 2017, 05:46:18 pm by Alan Southstand »
Tireless!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 03, 2017, 05:46:40 pm by mushRTID »
Outstanding today.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 03, 2017, 05:53:40 pm by LincsRover »
Agreed, I've been one of Marquis biggest critics as I didn't think he'd been putting in maximum effort and had been poor recently but today he was a colossus! Won most headers against a defender at least a foot taller than him, win every second ball and ran himself ragged. If having Alfie up front with him has helped then let's see more.

Great performance today, from the whole team - apart from about 15 mins at start of second half we absolutely dominated a team who had won their last 6 - let's hope this gives us the boost to climb the league table now!

:clapping:

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 03, 2017, 06:07:15 pm by bpoolrover »
It showed today pass forwards when possible and not backwards and we're a completely different team

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 03, 2017, 06:27:09 pm by goalkick »
First class performance jm.needs someone alongside him to get the best out of him.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 03, 2017, 06:35:19 pm by glosterred »
A better performance from him today but still at times throwing himself to the ground.

COYR

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 03, 2017, 06:39:03 pm by Donny Dub »
I’m very pleased Marquis played  so well and I liked to hear that he was belligerent.  That aspect of his game has been missing this season.  I particularly enjoy the arrogance of his goal celebrations, it’s a shame he couldn’t display that today as well.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 03, 2017, 06:58:41 pm by RoversAlias »
When he plays well we always have a chance of scoring goals, and so it showed today. Work rate was phenomenal and he was involved in a lot of our good play.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 03, 2017, 07:33:01 pm by dknward2 »
Glad to here he was back to his last season self. I was critical of him these past few weeks but someone or something has maybe knocked some sense into him, maybe seeing young Alfie coming on and doing well shows he may not be first in line if he doesn't shape up

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 03, 2017, 07:36:02 pm by Superspy »
He also had a couple of shooting opportunities today where he had a go...something he hasn't been doing often enough lately. Absolutely ran his balls off today.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 03, 2017, 08:20:11 pm by The Red Baron »
I think the last two games have proved that JM isn't the sort of striker who can plough a lone furrow. He's looked a better player when he's had a partner. I thought he was excellent today. Hard to choose between him, Rowe and Whiteman for MoM.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 03, 2017, 08:29:09 pm by adamtherover »
Glad to here he was back to his last season self. I was critical of him these past few weeks but someone or something has maybe knocked some sense into him, maybe seeing young Alfie coming on and doing well shows he may not be first in line if he doesn't shape up
i don't think we should run before we can walk, beeston has done well,  but to suggest he would get in ahead of john is a tad over optimistic..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 03, 2017, 08:58:33 pm by roversdude »
Great play by JM today

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 03, 2017, 09:06:17 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes he had work up front back in to midfield because Copps couldn’t.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 03, 2017, 09:06:58 pm by drfchound »
Marquis was MoM by a mile today.
He was a thorn in the side of the Scunny defence all afternoon and they were doing their best to clatter him late on.
Playing Beestin just behind him has helped but today we got more players in the box than in recent games which also made a difference.
The one outstanding image I have from JM today is a 50 yard sprint late in the game when he chased a ball played by their keeper to the right back.
Outstanding effort at that stage in the match.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 03, 2017, 11:46:14 pm by RoversAlias »
My dad said the exact same thing about that dogged run late in the game, Hound. Wouldn't be surprised if we were sat near one another again today!

Another good example was Beestin, his last act before being subbed was to chase a ball all the way across the attacking third and actually beat two Scunny players to it who looked much better placed, then win a throw-in. When the forwards put in this kind of tenacious effort then it runs through the whole team and we are a lot better overall for it.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 04, 2017, 09:19:05 am by DMnumber4 »
that dogged run late in the game, Hound.

:thumbsup:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 04, 2017, 10:57:31 am by drfchound »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 04, 2017, 12:32:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He seemed to be more level headed this time out. Wasn't waving his arms in remonstration all the time and just got on with a very good performance.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012