Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Liam Mandeville  (Read 8993 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Liam Mandeville
« on December 03, 2017, 11:18:41 pm by selby »
   Two well taken goals in a game and a bit, he found room for himself in the box for both goals, and gave the goalkeeper no chance,one with his right foot today, and one with his left foot on Tuesday. He should be starting for me,he is the most talented striker we have got on the books by a mile,and complements the all action Marquis the best, and controls the ball in an instant when under pressure, allowing him to get away from defenders in the box.
  Memories of smash em and grab em at Bristol Rovers,The nick names of Warboys and his partner when they scored for fun.
  But they can only thrive if they are given the service,and now we have started to man up in midfield it is starting to show.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Liam Mandeville
« Reply #1 on December 03, 2017, 11:26:26 pm by Alickismyhero »
He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

Mandy Mandy

he's one of our own.

Couldn't agree more Selby

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 03, 2017, 11:49:33 pm by selby »
  Bannister was the other half of smash em and grab em with Warboys, a great player in his day.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 04, 2017, 06:53:51 am by Alan Southstand »
Not for me, Selby, not yet. He still has much work to do. Whilst I'm with you he is talented, he has flaws in his game still. In the league we're in you must have a bit of steel about you and the stamina to see out 90 minutes when you have been kicked from pillar to post throughout the game.

For me, his aerial ability is just not there - at all - and his physicality needs lots of work, I.e. He needs to bulk up a bit. Take yesterday's well taken goal for example; the chances are that if he'd started the game, he wouldn't have been anywhere near that through ball and, if he had, he'd have been forced off it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the lad and he has many positives, but he still has a few basic flaws that need working on and he will be an automatic starter. The other question seems to be his mental strength, as DF has alluded to recently.

Alfie May has leap frogged him, for now, in the pecking order. Our needs in the team are for workrate first and then display your talents. This league is an unforgiving one.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 04, 2017, 08:27:47 am by selby »
  Alan,I totally disagree,and highlighting heading ability is it some kind of joke,I have seen Mandeville score a cracker at Exeter last season at the far post,Alfie is $ inches too short,and has missed at least 6 chances on a plate this season having to take a touch, Bradford and a sitter at home in a game being the worst.
  One has a touch of class,one is a runner,Runners are impact players off the bench,I love Alfie to bits,Effort,tenacity,everything crowds love to see,but he is not as good as Mandeville.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 04, 2017, 08:45:07 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
  Alan,I totally disagree,and highlighting heading ability is it some kind of joke,I have seen Mandeville score a cracker at Exeter last season at the far post,Alfie is $ inches too short,and has missed at least 6 chances on a plate this season having to take a touch, Bradford and a sitter at home in a game being the worst.
  One has a touch of class,one is a runner,Runners are impact players off the bench,I love Alfie to bits,Effort,tenacity,everything crowds love to see,but he is not as good as Mandeville.

Different players, both useful in different situations.

Liam just needs to work that little bit harder, but not massively so.  He could be wasting energy by chasing everything, something May has had to learn and noticeably has.

Mandeville for me should be in the team next weekend, he's done more than enough to earn another shot and a consistent run at it, not just 1/2 games.  Worth remembering he more than any has to adjust to league 1.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 04, 2017, 11:11:52 am by drfchound »
That would probably mean leaving Beestin out.
Would you do that ?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 04, 2017, 11:31:55 am by since-1969 »
Yes ... Beestin is not strong enough but when he is , he’ll be brilliant.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 04, 2017, 11:38:13 am by wing commander »
 Mandy is scoring at the minute..So would you start him over Beestin?? Interesting dilemma..Beestin seems to be playing well but it's all about the onion bag this game..Tough one

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 04, 2017, 11:40:36 am by drfchound »
Yes ... Beestin is not strong enough but when he is , he’ll be brilliant.

TBF to Beestin, he was excellent against MKD in that second half and was very good in the first half against Scunny.
He did fade away in the second half though and in my opinion, Mandeville is very similar in that he rarely lasts 90 minutes at first team level.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 04, 2017, 12:28:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Both have a good touch and link play up well. Beestin is bigger in frame and perhaps has a slight advantage over Mandeville in the physical department whereas Liam is a better goal scorer.

I would like to see them both get stronger and better conditioned as we have some talent there.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 04, 2017, 12:57:12 pm by wing commander »
Both have a good touch and link play up well. Beestin is bigger in frame and perhaps has a slight advantage over Mandeville in the physical department whereas Liam is a better goal scorer.

I would like to see them both get stronger and better conditioned as we have some talent there.

That's great in a massive club were you can afford things like that but for us not so..If you are going to have 2 young lads on pro contracts going for the same position you need them to offer different things and different options..Reality is we will probably bring a striker in for January which means him,May and Marquis will be fighting for two spots..Mandeville and Beestin are going to be on the outside looking in..So 1 of them is unlikely to even make a matchday squad and there progress will Stall...

So for me 1 of them has to go out on loan to get 1st team football at a lower level..Probably Beestin..

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 04, 2017, 01:35:33 pm by bpoolrover »
The problem with Liam when he was given a chance at start of season he was awful just didn't seem fit, plus point is he seems to be looking sharper now

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 04, 2017, 02:03:43 pm by bobjimwilly »
He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

Mandy Mandy

he's one of our own.

Isn't Liam from Lincoln?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 04, 2017, 03:08:21 pm by graingrover »
He has the same playing style , gait and balance as Steve McManaman had .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 04, 2017, 03:14:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Worth noting. In the past 13 months, Mandeville has made 19 starts and 14 (mostly brief) sub appearances in all competitions.

He's scored 12 goals in that time. And he's still not 21 for another 3 months.

I think we've every right to be quite excited about the lad's potential. And that's before you take into account his turn of skill on the ball.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 04, 2017, 03:27:38 pm by Copps is Magic »
Agreed, he's got great skill and potential, and already developing a nice little scoring record. We seem to be transfixed in this country on physical attributes at the expense of technical ability. And if strikers don't score one every game, they're 'shite'.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 04, 2017, 04:42:14 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
    That's great in a massive club were you can afford things like that but for us not so..If you are going to have 2 young lads on pro contracts going for the same position you need them to offer different things and different options..Reality is we will probably bring a striker in for January which means him,May and Marquis will be fighting for two spots..Mandeville and Beestin are going to be on the outside looking in..So 1 of them is unlikely to even make a matchday squad and there progress will Stall...

So for me 1 of them has to go out on loan to get 1st team football at a lower level..Probably Beestin..

I think between May, Mandy, and Beestin we have players who can do the job, develop and be subbed as and when. Williams adds to this, when fit again. I can't see the need to strengthen up front right now. Midfield, or defence would be wiser, and with someone of real quality, better than what we have, with a mind to keeping him next season and beyond.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 04, 2017, 05:09:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Williams is out until about April, isn't he?

We only have two out-and-out strikers: Marquis and May. Beestin is an attacking midfielder and Mandeville is clearly better suited to a #10 role but he can probably count as a third striker. I think we do need to strengthen up front.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 04, 2017, 08:09:49 pm by Alickismyhero »
He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

Mandy Mandy

he's one of our own.

Isn't Liam from Lincoln?

I thought Mandy  came through the youth section of the club but even if he never I have adopted him....

he's one of our own

I hope this kid makes it big at Donny but he needs the verbal support to get the best out of him.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 04, 2017, 08:17:25 pm by besty »
Any further news on Kiwomya yet ?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 04, 2017, 08:25:49 pm by Campsall rover »
Have to agree with Selby, technically Mandeville is one of the best players in our squad and is a very good finisher. He has to start next week for me.
Both May and Beestin are at the moment impact players to bring on off the bench.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 04, 2017, 08:32:31 pm by Scooter »
He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

Mandy Mandy

he's one of our own.

Isn't Liam from Lincoln?

I think he is from Middlesbrough (or that way on)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 04, 2017, 08:42:41 pm by Campsall rover »
He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

Mandy Mandy

he's one of our own.

Isn't Liam from Lincoln?

I think he is from Middlesbrough (or that way on)
Born in Lincoln. But he has come through our youth system. Played in the same age group teams as the McKay brothers.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 04, 2017, 09:37:46 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He was scouted quite late playing Sunday league wasn't He?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 04, 2017, 10:57:13 pm by Alickismyhero »

That's it then...................

"He's one of our own"

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 05, 2017, 09:33:27 am by bobjimwilly »

That's it then...................

"He's one of our own"

:thumbsup:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 05, 2017, 09:44:15 am by Donnywolf »
He's one of our own,

he's one of our own,

Mandy Mandy

he's one of our own.

Isn't Liam from Lincoln?

Says Lincoln in the "blurb" and the fact that he has the same b-day as me (just a year or two later)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 05, 2017, 09:44:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
I love how we ways argue why we can't sing that about one of our players.

Husband - Came from Leeds youth not from Donny

Butler - Came through Scunny youth but Donny lad.

Middleton - Came through Donny youth and from Donny. Ahh, the perfect player. Lets start singing it immediately... Oh wait.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 05, 2017, 10:18:03 am by IDM »
Who cares.. let's just support the lads on the pitch, wherever they are from??

TinyPortal © 2005-2012