Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:56:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Liam Mandeville  (Read 8992 times)

acko

• Forum Member
Re: Liam Mandeville
« Reply #30 on December 05, 2017, 10:25:20 am by acko »
I  posted at start of season that i thought Manderville would be a big asset to rovers,weather in the team or our next big transfer to better things.He seemed to have lost his way in the first part of season but now beginning to show a bit more so i will stand by what i said.i also said that May would benifit from having his first pre-season at a proffesional club and it showed until injury curtailed his progress

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 05, 2017, 10:44:42 am by Alickismyhero »
I would love our supporters to chant "He's one of our own" and then witness what it does for his confidence. We all want him to reach his full potential at Donny.

I think I am right in saying that Harry Kane started off at Arsenal very young but the Spurs fans have adopted him as "One of their own because he came through their youth section to the first team/England team.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 05, 2017, 10:51:06 am by bobjimwilly »
I love how we ways argue why we can't sing that about one of our players.

No-one's arguing about anything (hence my thunbs up)? Was pointing out he was born in Lincoln, but as others have rightly pointed out he came up through our youth system.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 07, 2017, 07:37:52 pm by ZiggerZagger »
His mother was visiting relatives in Lincoln when she went into labour. So technically he's one of our own  :woohoo:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 10, 2017, 12:05:18 am by selby »
 Alan Southstand, if  Fergie keeps ignoring Mandeville and plays Alfie and Beestin,and they do not improve their goals to games ratio we are in danger of going down,and Fergie losing his job mate.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 10, 2017, 09:36:17 pm by ravenrover »
He has the same playing style , gait and balance as Steve McManaman had .
and no-where near the ability, sorry can't get carried away with this love fest for Liam

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 10, 2017, 11:25:44 pm by dickos1 »
Husband came through our youth team he was released by Leeds at about 14-15.
And Middleton I believe is from Hull

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 10, 2017, 11:57:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He has the same playing style , gait and balance as Steve McManaman had .
and no-where near the ability, sorry can't get carried away with this love fest for Liam

Maybe it's down to him having a better scoring record than any 20 year old that's come up through our ranks since Kitch and Bren?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 11, 2017, 07:33:23 am by RedJ »
Husband came through our youth team he was released by Leeds at about 14-15.
And Middleton I believe is from Hull

He's from Doncaster. But he was in their youth system, yes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 11, 2017, 09:46:02 am by selby »
Billy,you cannot convince people who dislike players because of their gait when running, or their facial expressions which makes them look tired.
  It makes them overlook the most precious gift a player can have, awareness of space and time in the penalty area, and ballance and the gift of being able to take a chance early.
  We have not had many players with this ability in the many years I have watched The Rovers, I think this kid has got it, and I prefer it to running.
   It reminds me of Clark explaining the difference between his time at Newcastle and Fulham. At Newcastle he had Mickey Quinn drinking a bottle of Brown Ale at training, at Fulham he had Tigana with diet sheets and modern training methods,the talk sport commentators jumped on him laughing and said what a difference you must have found at Fulham, he answered yes we didnt have a Mickey Quinn to score 20 plus goals a season.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 13, 2017, 03:43:35 pm by ravenrover »
nothing to do with gait or facial expressions, the lads got very little pace poor stamina gets knocked off yhe ball easily and wins very few headers. Can't deny is ability with the ball at his feet but he just doesn't do enough for me to warrant a place in the 1st 11 it's all down to opinions is it not?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 13, 2017, 04:29:23 pm by acko »
Pace is not everything.Teddy sherringham had none but had a great career.Footballers should use what they do have and if the current playing side doesnt play to that i suggest they move on.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 13, 2017, 05:08:25 pm by selby »
  So 4 goals in his last 5 1st team appearances is not doing enough for you is it Raven.
   Would you like to enlighten me as to who you think is doing enough as a striker then.
   By the way they are not all full game appearances, and I would take a bet he carries the ball at his feet quicker than any of our strikers with only Marquis coming near.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 13, 2017, 06:56:20 pm by Draytonian III »
As I've posted before there is a difference between a goal scorer, a striker and a forward, Liam Manderville is a forward .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on December 13, 2017, 07:18:28 pm by ravenrover »
  So 4 goals in his last 5 1st team appearances is not doing enough for you is it Raven.
   Would you like to enlighten me as to who you think is doing enough as a striker then.
   By the way they are not all full game appearances, and I would take a bet he carries the ball at his feet quicker than any of our strikers with only Marquis coming near.
None of our strikers are as I think most people would agree Marquis is working hard with no end product, Alfie is still work in progress others are injured. What are the games you are counting as his last 5? As I said it's all about opinions

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on December 13, 2017, 07:38:11 pm by selby »
  Raven,
            Portsmouth scored  Played as lone striker
            Walsall subbed
            Scunthorpe  E. F. L. cup  Scored 
            Rochdale E.F.L. cup   scored
            Scunthorpe F.A.cup  scored played last 20 minutes
    If you want to be picky he also scored two penalties in the two penalty shoot outs that I have not counted and are not in the official results.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on December 13, 2017, 08:07:07 pm by selby »
  I might add Raven that against Walsall he was subbed on 56 minutes with the score at 0-0.
   Him and Baudry were subbed by Rodney and Copps, 10 mins later we were 2- 0 down and lost 3-0.
  He has not had a start in a league fixture since.
  To repeat what B.S.T. has said, he has the best scoring record of any 20yr old since Peter Kitchen,lets hope we do not lose him, we may be going the right way to do so.
   Some of the crowds attitude to him remind me of the people that did not rate Brian Dean. Some people have a knack of recognising good strikers.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on December 13, 2017, 08:48:34 pm by ravenrover »
Ah I had a feeling that the 2 checkatrade would be counted. Yes you are completely correct some people do have a knack of recognising good strikers some don't mmm we'll see

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on December 13, 2017, 09:10:04 pm by selby »
  First team fixtures Raven, the same as the League Cup,take the two Alfie scored in that and it leaves him with 6 goals in 33 matches. Some admittedly not starts, but poor by comparison, and you can only score in the games you play in.
You could also turn it to say that scoring while surrounded by a lot of youngsters, against two experienced teams fielded by Scunthorpe and Rochdale is even more commendable.
  They were two cracking goals as well.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 13, 2017, 10:37:52 pm by drfchound »
The goal that Mandy put away was only a tap in, but the ball was slightly behind him and he had to adjust his body to get his foot around the ball.
It was a proper strikers finish.
The one he scored against Scunny in the FA Cup was another classic strikers finish, the type that our other forwards have been missing.

Mandy IS a natural finisher but I also believe that he has struggled in other areas of his game so far this season.

The conundrum is, can we afford to be carrying him to a certain extent in the hope that the scoring opportunities fall to him.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 14, 2017, 05:55:45 pm by ravenrover »
  First team fixtures Raven, the same as the League Cup,take the two Alfie scored in that and it leaves him with 6 goals in 33 matches. Some admittedly not starts, but poor by comparison, and you can only score in the games you play in.
You could also turn it to say that scoring while surrounded by a lot of youngsters, against two experienced teams fielded by Scunthorpe and Rochdale is even more commendable.
  They were two cracking goals as well.
Unlike some I go to the checkatrade home games I thought Khemis goal against Sunderland was better but set up by Liam. The only person who can change my opinion is Liam himself

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 14, 2017, 09:17:52 pm by selby »
  Fair comment Raven,I hope he does.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 15, 2017, 01:33:44 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
have we all forgotten how he single handedly came off the bench on November 12th 2016 against useless Exeter who hadn't won at homwe for years and were next to the bottom (there amazing run was just about to begin) remember the commentary when he came on a sub and had a right go at sulking Marquis according to radio Sheffield scored one made 2 "just like that"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37881326

Liam Mandeville came off the bench in the second half to to score one goal and create two for John Marquis as Doncaster Rovers fought back to beat Exeter City.

calvin lewin as I've said many time couldn't get a start for the blades

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 15, 2017, 02:03:49 pm by selby »
C.L.H. thats what gets me, our best period last season was when Marquis and Mandeville were paired together. Both scored goals and complemented each other well. When we hit the buffers at the end of the season and so many of our players,Grant,Mason,Alcock were playing poorly week after week and the goals dried up,Mandeville along with Lund and Middleton was completely ignored.
   They could not have possibly done any worse than those three in the last six matches last season, and Marquis was never as potent as with Mandeville.
  It seems to me that things have not changed for Mandeville this season, some players seem to be able to produce very little for quite long periods, while others only get a run of a couple of indifferent games before being replaced, while the real problems lie in a different part of the field altogether, and the quality of the service strikers get from midfield.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012