Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:24:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Michael McIndoe goals  (Read 5923 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Michael McIndoe goals
« on December 04, 2017, 08:40:05 pm by The Red Baron »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUGJtlskC4Q

Some real crackers here, included a good selection of Rovers ones.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Muttley

• VSC Member
Re: Michael McIndoe goals
« Reply #1 on December 04, 2017, 08:51:52 pm by Muttley »
The one v Bristol Rovers (at 1 min 43s) is one of my all time favourite Rovers goals

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 04, 2017, 09:09:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Definitely a top 5 Rovers player on my list.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 04, 2017, 09:20:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye. He might be a first rate bell end, but I think he’s my favourite Rovers player since Snod.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 04, 2017, 09:38:00 pm by CJK »
Some cracking strikes there from a cracking player with the best left foot I’ve seen in the flesh.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 04, 2017, 09:43:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'll have to take your word for that, I've only ever seen it with a boot and sock on.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 04, 2017, 09:56:36 pm by drfchound »
Because of how he left us there is a bad taste, however he was a superb player and really should be considered as a Rovers legend.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 04, 2017, 10:27:53 pm by since-1969 »
Just like Jim Beresford should be considered a reputable former Rovers Director , I don’t think so .

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 04, 2017, 10:49:18 pm by MachoMadness »
Undoubtedly one of the best and most influential players we've ever had. Just a shame he was such a d**khead off the pitch. That goal against Bristol Rovers is still one of the most brilliant bits of skill I've seen from a Rovers player. Let's not forget him taking the game by the scruff of the neck away at Mansfield, either. Him and Blundell were unplayable that day.

Unusually for a flair player, he always turned up when it counted, apart from when the CPS asked him to.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 04, 2017, 10:57:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I never met the guy, MachoMadness. Was he really a d**khead?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 04, 2017, 11:17:55 pm by RedJ »
Because of how he left us there is a bad taste, however he was a superb player and really should be considered as a Rovers legend.

No. Cult hero, for sure. Legend, not quite.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 04, 2017, 11:40:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, he gave the impression of being a bit arrogant and a bit of a big time Charlie but he had the ability to back it up. He definitely raised the bar in terms of the standard of football.

Whatever people might say of McIndoe the man, the player was a cut above. His workrate was phenomenal.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2017, 12:18:36 am by RoversAlias »

It's a semantics argument but for me, he's neither.  Didn't do enough to be considered a "legend" in my eyes and "cult hero" tends to refer to someone who the fans really took to heart in their time here. McIndoe was never quite that for me, and the manner of his departure left a bad taste as Hound said.

People like Rob Jones and maybe Jamie Paterson are fit for the cult hero status at DRFC for me. McIndoe is one of the best players I've seen in a Rovers shirt but I'd not stretch to call him a legend.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 05, 2017, 12:37:57 am by anne honemous »
He was symbolic of our team in that era - someone who'd try hard each week and have bucket loads of potential, yet ultimately have a limit to how far he realistically can go at the same time as well.

Legend? Cult hero? I wouldn't throw words any particular words to describe him, but it'd be foolish for anyone to deny the impact he had in his three years with us and his departure, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of it, came at the right time for both parties.

It's easy to forget that a certain James Coppinger, really came out of the shadows following McIndoe's move elsewhere, when just a few months earlier it looked like he might be the one heading out of the door instead (to Rotherham on loan, if I recall correctly).

I'm sure McIndoe would get a warm reception if he was ever invited back to a game, but once word spread about his whereabouts for that day, he'd probably get a reception of a different kind from the lynch mob of ex pros waiting outside the stadium for him after the game.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 05, 2017, 08:19:16 am by drfchound »
He didnt get a good reception when he came to play against us last time.
He was booed every time he got the ball.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 05, 2017, 08:54:51 am by Donny Exile in York »
The number of young Rovers fans with McIndoe on the back during the mid noughties might give an indication as to his popularity at that time. Love him or loathe him in terms of personality, on the pitch he was one of the most successful signings in my 30 years watching Rovers at that time. Maybe his end made him an anti hero don't know but he was certainly a massive success in his time with us. Left league two opposition players chasing shadows in his first year.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 05, 2017, 09:19:48 am by wing commander »
  He's been saying on twitter that looking back he wishes he could have stopped longer at Rovers as he loved his time here but had to go because of his relationship with Dave Penney...Cant remember that one,can anyone remember what they fell out about??

TheDonnyPop

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 05, 2017, 10:17:20 am by TheDonnyPop »
Rose tinted specs guys.
Whilst a great player on his day, was extremely frustrating watching him jump out of tackles everytime someone went near him.

One of the most nesh players I've seen

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 05, 2017, 10:33:21 am by acko »
Met macca at a retford branch supporters do he had the most good looking girl on his arm,Iasked him could i have photo please to which he agreed the problem was he wanted to be on it.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 05, 2017, 10:35:11 am by CJK »
Aye I’d be more than a bit aware of what’s around me with people trying to break my legs every time they got relatively close to me. I actually thought he was pretty good at anticipating what was coming and riding the challenges that came his way, which is illustrated in a couple of those goals on the clip.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 05, 2017, 11:13:21 am by BillyStubbsTears »
McIndoe was a pointer to the way that modern football has developed.

Go back and watch videos of us from 2003/04. Watch how many times players hoicked balls 50-70 yards, miles up in the air. The Mansfield match is a classic for that.

Then watch McIndoe. Watch how rarely he wasted possession. He was the first Rovers player I’d ever seen combine forward drive (always his first instinct) with careful decision-making. He seemed to never get his final ball wrong - even if it was just a 10 years pass inside, he’d always find his man and never with the “I’m under pressure so im going to unload and give you a hospital pass” decision. Every time the ball came to him, you knew that we’d be moving towards the danger area. And the noise in the ground rose by 10dB the moment he got the ball.

Nowhere close to Coppinger’s skill level. But consistently more direct and dangerous in what he produced.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 05, 2017, 11:56:42 am by idler »
He must have been a nightmare to play against. The pace of him and Greg Blundell breaking and knowing that McIndoe was capable of going all the way and finishing on his own.
We were so dangerous when defending in our own box to suddenly break and as BST says it wasn't just a big lump upfield. It was a joy to watch, and Simon Marples marauding down the right. Great days and great memories.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 05, 2017, 12:09:03 pm by anne honemous »
Didn't we get a six-figure sum for Blundell when we sold him to Chester.

It's a shame that his replacement, a freebie from Newcastle by the name of Lewis Guy, turned out to be one of the biggest wasters that would have two good months (August and April) in an entire season.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 05, 2017, 12:18:40 pm by Dutch Uncle »

It's a semantics argument but for me, he's neither.  Didn't do enough to be considered a "legend" in my eyes and "cult hero" tends to refer to someone who the fans really took to heart in their time here. McIndoe was never quite that for me, and the manner of his departure left a bad taste as Hound said.

People like Rob Jones and maybe Jamie Paterson are fit for the cult hero status at DRFC for me. McIndoe is one of the best players I've seen in a Rovers shirt but I'd not stretch to call him a legend.

Agree with that RA. Much loved cult heroes for me include the likes of Charlie Williams, Alick Jeffrey, Laurie Sheffield, Albert Broadbent, Alan Little, Alan Warboys, Colin Douglas, Ian & Glyn Snodin, Gary Brabin, Tim Ryan, Greg Blundell, James Coppinger..............

Some of those were also football geniuses or legends - Jeffrey, Ian Snodin, Coppinger for example

Don't quite see MM on either list

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 05, 2017, 12:21:23 pm by Dutch Uncle »

It's a shame that his replacement, a freebie from Newcastle by the name of Lewis Guy, turned out to be one of the biggest wasters that would have two good months (August and April) in an entire season.

Difficult to say, but I always equated the money reaped for Blundell as being spent on Heffernan, and for that reason I saw Heffs more as Blundells replacement. I agree Guy was potentially more a similar type of player to Blundell than Heffs ever was.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 05, 2017, 12:30:03 pm by anne honemous »

Difficult to say, but I always equated the money reaped for Blundell as being spent on Heffernan, and for that reason I saw Heffs more as Blundells replacement. I agree Guy was potentially more a similar type of player to Blundell than Heffs ever was.

The money was certainly spent on Heffernan for an 'attacking' replacement and I think it was a similar sort of transfer fee going from memory.

Player-wise, the most like for like player to Blundell was definitely Lewis Guy.

In that summer transfer window in 2005, we actually splashed out on quite a few players. I believe that Heffernan, McGuire (from Aberdeen), Thornton, Budtz and Steve Roberts all required a transfer fee.

Then there was the trialists done good such as Sean McDaid and Uros Predic, who were a damn sight better than the trialists from the previous year (Guy Ipoua and Nic Priet).

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 05, 2017, 01:13:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Say what you want about Guy but he made a lasting contribution to our return to the Championship and I don't think Blundell would have ever bagged any goals at that level.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 05, 2017, 01:20:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Blundell would run through a brick wall. Guy would find something to trip up over one a perfectly combed lawn. They were both quick but that’s about where the comparison ends. 

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 05, 2017, 01:40:12 pm by NickDRFC »
Guy's career with us went downhill pretty quickly but I think a lot of people have short memories - he and Heffs formed a decent partnership for a time and he had several good games in the Championship for us. For one reason or another he completely lost the plot by the end of his time but he wasn't always so bad.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 05, 2017, 01:46:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No. He wasn’t always bad.

But he was always a cheat.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012