Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Michael McIndoe goals  (Read 5896 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Michael McIndoe goals
« Reply #30 on December 05, 2017, 01:49:45 pm by IDM »
Lewis Guy had bags of raw pace and potential, yet failed to deliver the end product often enough.

Shame he would also go down easier than a 5 dollar hooker in the Vietnam war...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 05, 2017, 01:56:28 pm by RoversAlias »
I agree with Nick, and to my original point, Guy scored a couple of really important goals for us in the Championship and they were goals that no one else in our squad at the time could score. He was nowhere near as good as he should have been but he made a contribution at least.

It's alright saying he was always a cheat because he went to ground easily BST, but I'm afraid two of our best current players do it just as much - Marquis and especially Rowe are notorious for trying to buy fouls off the refs by flopping to the floor.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 05, 2017, 03:08:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RA.

I agree with your comments on Rowe. He frequently infuriates me. I have more sympathy for Marquis because he puts his body on the line most matches and gets lumps kicked out of him. Guy rarely did that. His first policy was to look for the dive before he got hit.

It was a shame because the lad had lots of talent. I could watch his pass to Hefernan for the second goal against Villa in the League Cup all night. Although I'd never really appreciated until seeing the video in the OP that Hefernan's pass to McIndoe for the first goal against Arsenal was even better. Great days.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 05, 2017, 03:41:41 pm by anne honemous »
Another of my abiding memories of Lewis Guy is when he was played through into a one-on-one in an away game at Northampton.

From where he received the ball there was still plenty to do and there was a collective sort of murmuring groans of 'Oh no, not Guy' as he raced towards goal - half of us expecting him to miss, half expecting him to go down, and one or two with memories of Guy Ipoua in the same situation at Luton a couple of years earlier.

The biggest surprise was that, for once, Guy actually scored - and it was a pretty good finish as well, IIRC.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 05, 2017, 07:03:46 pm by boro_rover »
I think comparisons between Guy and Blundell are not miles off in style of play. Both relied on pace and both couldn’t finish. The difference being Blundell would keep running through them and shooting. But Guy preferred to fall over instead of pass or shoot in possession.

Back to Macca - definitely deserved cult hero status for me. He is a symbol of the rebirth of the club for me. I picked up following the Rovers from my dad and for the first ten years of my supporting career people laughed at someone from Scarborough supporting such a shit team. He was fundemental in our big cup run and promotional season that made us a team to be reckoned with. I was gutted when he left. 

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 05, 2017, 07:12:15 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Thing is with Macca, cult hero or legend, I can't think of another play in the last 40yrs, that got the fans as excited when he picked up the ball and just ran at defenders. When he flew past the Pop Side in full flow the fans where on their tip toes screaming.
Players have come, players have gone, yet none of them have come close to the Macca effect.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 05, 2017, 08:00:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Zigger Zagger.

If you’re going back that far, I’d say Glynn had a similar effect. You expected something to happen when he got the ball and drive forward.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 05, 2017, 09:13:05 pm by ZiggerZagger »
BST

Have to agree on that. If fact we were only saying a few weeks ago how Andrews reminded us older ones of Glynn. Can defend and attack using his head. Loved Timothy to bits, played with his heart on his sleeve, but not same as Glynn.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 05, 2017, 09:44:49 pm by RoversAlias »
RA.

I agree with your comments on Rowe. He frequently infuriates me. I have more sympathy for Marquis because he puts his body on the line most matches and gets lumps kicked out of him. Guy rarely did that. His first policy was to look for the dive before he got hit.

It was a shame because the lad had lots of talent. I could watch his pass to Hefernan for the second goal against Villa in the League Cup all night. Although I'd never really appreciated until seeing the video in the OP that Hefernan's pass to McIndoe for the first goal against Arsenal was even better. Great days.

Aye agree with all of that BST, good summation.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 05, 2017, 10:27:25 pm by Silkscarf »
It's such a shame that he turned out to be a total knob as a person. Because I'm struggling to think of a player who got the crowd excited so much when he got the ball in the 41 years I've been going. Who else is there? Was Glynn really that kind of player? I don't recall it if he was. I remember Kieron Brady being a similar type but he only lasted about 3 games on loan. Ian Miller I loved but he was a different kind of player. Who else had that 'wow' factor?

He seemed to be a model professional too while with us. Never injured, always wanted the ball, always looked fit and full of energy. Not sure what he was like in the dressing room or with Penney etc but from what I saw he always seemed like a player I was proud represented us/me. How wrong I was it turned out, but you can't argue with his talent. For that goal against the Arse I was on the Cowshed end - I still can't believe how it squeezes in every time I see it.

For me he's only short of legend status by his off-field antics.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 06, 2017, 01:06:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
He must have been a nightmare to play against. The pace of him and Greg Blundell breaking and knowing that McIndoe was capable of going all the way and finishing on his own.
We were so dangerous when defending in our own box to suddenly break and as BST says it wasn't just a big lump upfield. It was a joy to watch, and Simon Marples marauding down the right. Great days and great memories.

Funnily enough, I’ve occasionally woken up in a cold sweat, from a nightmare where I’m a Div 3 centre half in Autumn 2003, I’ve got the ball at my feet on the edge of the box. And I look up to see McIndoe, Blundell and Green converging on me. With Chucky faces. And my legs stop working.

So aye. I suspect he WAS a nightmare to play against.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on December 06, 2017, 01:10:58 am by anne honemous »
He must have been a nightmare to play against. The pace of him and Greg Blundell breaking and knowing that McIndoe was capable of going all the way and finishing on his own.
We were so dangerous when defending in our own box to suddenly break and as BST says it wasn't just a big lump upfield. It was a joy to watch, and Simon Marples marauding down the right. Great days and great memories.

Funnily enough, I’ve occasionally woken up in a cold sweat, from a nightmare where I’m a Div 3 centre half in Autumn 2003, I’ve got the ball at my feet on the edge of the box. And I look up to see McIndoe, Blundell and Green converging on me. With Chucky faces. And my legs stop working.

That's before the part of your nightmare where Big Leo has his hands, arms and legs wrapped around you at a set piece, desperately wanting to get a touch of the ball.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 06, 2017, 01:17:44 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It's such a shame that he turned out to be a total knob as a person. Because I'm struggling to think of a player who got the crowd excited so much when he got the ball in the 41 years I've been going. Who else is there? Was Glynn really that kind of player? I don't recall it if he was. I remember Kieron Brady being a similar type but he only lasted about 3 games on loan. Ian Miller I loved but he was a different kind of player. Who else had that 'wow' factor?

He seemed to be a model professional too while with us. Never injured, always wanted the ball, always looked fit and full of energy. Not sure what he was like in the dressing room or with Penney etc but from what I saw he always seemed like a player I was proud represented us/me. How wrong I was it turned out, but you can't argue with his talent. For that goal against the Arse I was on the Cowshed end - I still can't believe how it squeezes in every time I see it.

For me he's only short of legend status by his off-field antics.

My memory says that Glynn had that wow factor. But it’s a long time back.

Thing about McIndoe was that he was driven. Every single time he got the ball, you knew he was going to drive forwards. None of this Tiki-Taka ballacks. Straight at the heart of the opposition. And then the same on the next attack. And the next one. I’ve never seen a player for us who was so relentless.

Maybe that’s a flip side of his drink and drugs and high rolling. Obsessive relentlessness.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 06, 2017, 01:18:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »

That's before the part of your nightmare where Big Leo has his hands, arms and legs wrapped around you at a set piece, desperately wanting to get a touch of the ball.

No. Never had that one.

Do you want to talk about stuff from your childhood?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 06, 2017, 07:42:53 am by drfchound »
Well chaps, reading through the majority of those posts Macca could well be creeping up to legend status (as a player).

Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 06, 2017, 08:37:25 am by Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover »
Will always be a legend in my eyes, he’s my all time favourite rovers player by a long shot, every time he got the ball at his feet it made the hairs on the back of your neck rise because you didn’t know what he would do next with it, Mansfield away was one of the best Rovers games I’ve ever witnessed, like people have mentioned previously.. Macca & Gregg absolutely tore Mansfield apart. Hope the wife has bought me his autobiography for Christmas like I asked haha 😂

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on December 06, 2017, 10:39:35 am by NickDRFC »
BST - I agree that he must have had that obsessive personality. I remember the club doctor at the time that he had never seen a player so obsessed by getting their body fat %age down. No doubt he worked his nuts off for the side as well as being obviously, and significantly, more talented than the rest of them.

Although I think the term legend is thrown about far too loosely these days, for me a legend is someone who makes a massive impact. Macca was our best player in the first season with his goals, assists, skill and drive inspiring an unexpected title win, and I'm pretty sure he was the division's player of the year. He excelled in the (almost) two seasons he had in League One and was brilliant in the cup run. I know he left under a cloud, and has hardly done himself any favours since, but in just under 3 seasons I could count on one hand the number of games where he was found wanting for either ability or effort.

Definite Rovers legend in my eyes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on December 06, 2017, 10:49:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I can still remember the buzz when we signed him. Home and our kid were in New York, in an Internet cafe in Times Square when the news came out. In a second, I’d gone from “Going to be tough surviving next season” to “we could be contenders here.”  He made that much difference to that squad. And he was a perfect fit. We had players in Green, Blundell, Leo, Ryan, Ravenhill, Sarge who could physically overwhelm opponents. Imagine trying to match them then seeing McIndoe coming bombing down the wing at you.

No wonder we steamrollered so many sides.

Looking back at it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a side so dominant in their division as we were in that period between mid-Sept and Xmas 2003.

P16 W14 D1 L1 GF34 GA12
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:55:11 am by BillyStubbsTears »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 06, 2017, 11:19:49 am by NickDRFC »
I can still remember the buzz when we signed him. Home and our kid were in New York, in an Internet cafe in Times Square when the news came out. In a second, I’d gone from “Going to be tough surviving next season” to “we could be contenders here.”  He made that much difference to that squad. And he was a perfect fit. We had players in Green, Blundell, Leo, Ryan, Ravenhill, Sarge who could physically overwhelm opponents. Imagine trying to match them then seeing McIndoe coming bombing down the wing at you.

Looking back at it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a side so dominant in their division as we were in that period between mid-Sept and Xmas 2003.

P16 W14 D1 L1 GF34 GA12

I remember finding out as well - was coming back from a family holiday and glanced at a paper in the airport. Tiny article about 6 pages from the back saying we'd signed McIndoe for a fee in the region of £50k. I was convinced it was a typo and we'd signed some Yeovil reserve winger, memories of him terrorising us in that 4-0 home defeat still fresh in my mind!

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 06, 2017, 01:00:50 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »

P16 W14 D1 L1 GF34 GA12

I remember finding out as well - was coming back from a family holiday and glanced at a paper in the airport. Tiny article about 6 pages from the back saying we'd signed McIndoe for a fee in the region of £50k. I was convinced it was a typo and we'd signed some Yeovil reserve winger, memories of him terrorising us in that 4-0 home defeat still fresh in my mind!

It was before Social Media and I was only 13 at the time so didnt really have the internet/social circle I have now. I remember turning up to a pre-season friendly excited to see Leo Fortune-West. Out comes McIndoe and a table, I couldnt believe it!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 06, 2017, 06:04:59 pm by roversdude »
Away at Yeovil was an amazing game and buzz, think Ricky Ravenhill got the winner but Macca ran his socks off
BTW still think him leaving was the making of Copps

glosterred

• VSC Member

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 07, 2017, 07:03:33 pm by RoversAlias »
I saw that he tweeted announcing that and tagged all the papers in it...and Pop Stand. Then when Glen questioned their inclusion he put:

"Go back to Issue77 published 8 Aug 2015 pg30-31 and reread what was written about me? As an ex-rover who gave his all for your club and loved playing there - are you now going to publish a factual article? Maybe you should read my book #Wildling and take some content from that!"

Talk about chip on his shoulder! And can't resist attempting to shill his book, again. To Glen & James's credit they replied with honest, fair replies and invited him to tell his own side of the story in a future issue. It's clear who the class act(s) is in this one...

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 07, 2017, 07:46:50 pm by Rovers91 »
What a player he was, shame we don't have anyone that takes a penalty like him as well.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 07, 2017, 07:51:37 pm by Silkscarf »
Worth a punt?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012