Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:33:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Bremner  (Read 6012 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Billy Bremner
« Reply #30 on December 07, 2017, 05:32:51 pm by The Red Baron »
Billy Bremner's appearances for DRFC. All League games.

29/3/1980. Home v AFC Bournemouth. Won 1-0. Played full game.
15/11/1980. Home v Port Vale. Won 2-0. Sub.
4/4/1981. Away v Wimbledon. Lost 0-1. Played full game.
10/4/1981. Home v Stockport County. Won 2-1. Sub.
27/2/1982. Home v Newport County. Lost 0-2. Sub.

Well blow me. I'd have sworn I saw him play against Hull City. I've got a really strong memory that it was floodlit, that he came on as a sub, and we lost. So maybe it was the Port Vale or Newport County match? Newport would make sense as their kit is similar to Hull's

I saw them all apart from Stockport. In the Newport game he really struggled after he came on and didn't play again after that.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 07, 2017, 05:40:03 pm by 1879Rovers »
I think it was against port vale when he came on and he just took the mickey with little flicks. I thought he came on against Penrith as well but I was obviously mistaken. Probably the frost bite that day that affected my memory.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 07, 2017, 05:49:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think Bremner played for Hull city against Rovers at Belle Vue.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:52:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 07, 2017, 05:53:53 pm by Campsall rover »
The one I remember most is Wimbledon at Plough Lane.
I took the wife and kids to London for the weekend.
On the wat to the match we got caught up in all the boat race traffic that was on the same day.
I think Rovers had a player sent off and for the life of me I can't remember who it was.
Does anyone know who it was?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 07, 2017, 06:12:38 pm by Draytonian III »
I remember the Port Vale game he played along side Ian Snodin, Ian did all the running and winning the majority of the tackles then just passed the ball to Billy who kept finding Daral Pugh and I think Shaun Flanagan on the wings with near perfect passes.
The old and the new.
Brilliant to watch.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 07, 2017, 08:40:59 pm by Donnyjim »
Billy Bremner's appearances for DRFC. All League games.

29/3/1980. Home v AFC Bournemouth. Won 1-0. Played full game.
15/11/1980. Home v Port Vale. Won 2-0. Sub.
4/4/1981. Away v Wimbledon. Lost 0-1. Played full game.
10/4/1981. Home v Stockport County. Won 2-1. Sub.
27/2/1982. Home v Newport County. Lost 0-2. Sub.

That first game against Bournemouth there was my first ever at Belle Vue. I think it was the grand national that day and Ben Nevis won. I think they had newspaper programmes that year I may be wrong. 9k in Belle Vue that day.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 07, 2017, 09:30:32 pm by IDM »
Wasn’t that the next season when we beat Bournemouth to clinch promotion..

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 07, 2017, 10:27:24 pm by Donnyjim »
Wasn’t that the next season when we beat Bournemouth to clinch promotion..

no, all correct apart from the attendance. 2300, just a slight difference 😣

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on December 07, 2017, 11:40:34 pm by sheffield exile1 »
On the wat to the match we got caught up in all the boat race traffic that was on the same day.
I think Rovers had a player sent off and for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

If its the one I was at Nimmo came on as sub and decked someone if my memory serves me right?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 08, 2017, 08:04:06 am by Campsall rover »
Yes you might be right about Nimmo.
Wimbledon were a very physical team in those days and a few of our players were not happy about some of the " tackles" being dished out and retaliated.
It may have been Nimmo who completely lost it.
I remember Alan Cork playing up front for them, and Willie Boyd was in goal for us.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 08, 2017, 09:15:48 am by silent majority »
I can't remember the game or the details, but I do recall him being on the pitch at Belle Vue and thinking how white his hair was and how 'round' he'd become. Quite a difference from his days with Leeds and being splashed all over YTV.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 08, 2017, 12:24:15 pm by Donnyjim »
these were the days of the white kit with red sleeves. my first Donny strip.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on December 08, 2017, 04:05:08 pm by The Red Baron »

If its the one I was at Nimmo came on as sub and decked someone if my memory serves me right?

Ian Nimmo was sent off in this game. I was also there (my first visit to Plough Lane) and although I remember we lost and that Billy played I have no memory of the sending off.

I remember going there the following season (they went up with us) and we won 1-0.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 08, 2017, 06:09:00 pm by sheffield exile1 »

Ian Nimmo was sent off in this game. I was also there (my first visit to Plough Lane) and although I remember we lost and that Billy played I have no memory of the sending off.

I remember going there the following season (they went up with us) and we won 1-0.

I remember some of us getting off the tube at Wimbledon stop and asking the landlord of the pub we were in outside at 2.40 where the ground was and being told we were at least a mile away in other words nowhere near. Cue many years ago, big sprint (now distant memory) just to get in for KO. Best memory was in Chelsea Drug Store on Kings Road after for a heavy rock session before last train back up to Donny, eeh days out eh?

DubaiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 09, 2017, 11:13:54 am by DubaiRover »
Two of us thought it would be a great idea to hitch hike to Swansea for a night match (regular occurrence in those days). As you can imagine, after the match the idea of hitch hiking home wasn't so appealing so we waited by the team coach and I told Billy of our predicament. He gave us a good bollocking, told us to get on the coach, behave and he didn't want to know we were there. Had quite a lot of piss take from the players but we were home in time for work the following morning. Cheers for that Billy.
He also sent a Scotland international cap to be placed on the coffin of a friend (Johnny Andrews) who tragically died in an accident during his spell as manager.

That sort of gesture would of got him knighted in this day and age, but thankfully he did it for the right reason, what a fantastic man he was.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012