Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:18:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Why oh why....  (Read 4000 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Why oh why....
« on December 09, 2017, 05:51:15 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Can't we 'see a game out'?!!

Rochdale away. 1-0 up, they equalise in the 92nd minute & 'nick' all 3 points in the 94th minute. 3 points lost in time added on.

Shrewsbury home. 1-1 they score the winner in the 94th minute. 1 point 'dropped' in time added on.

Rotherham home. 1-0 up, they equalise in the 96th minute. 2 points lost in time added on.

Another 96th minute goal conceded today costing us yet another point lost in time added on.

I don't have to do the maths for you but those points 'lost' would have seen us sat 'comfortably' 9th in the table.

It's about game management. Today it happened to be Alfie May having a shot on goal in the 95th minute instead of 'looking after the ball', one minute later & Oxford attack & score, the ref blows his whistle after we restart the game, "Ta for that" 'say' Oxford. We'd better start learning how to do it, better late than never because otherwise we're going to spend the rest of the season looking over our shoulders.....if we're lucky!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
Re: Why oh why....
« Reply #1 on December 09, 2017, 06:01:02 pm by donnievic »
Hardly blame Alfie may it was a header that went over the bar so not sure how much he could look after the ball there

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 09, 2017, 06:04:31 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Maybe it's because the players just aren't good enough??

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 09, 2017, 06:12:43 pm by Akinfenwa »
We are rotten away from home. Since the win at Plymouth in September the only goal we've scored was against 10 man Bury.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 09, 2017, 06:13:35 pm by vaya »

So presumably when we don't concede in the ĺast five minutes, they are good enough then.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 09, 2017, 07:04:49 pm by since-1969 »
I Can’t disagree with that . We are a good League 2 side and it shows .

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 09, 2017, 07:13:20 pm by mjg »
Fed up of it . They got the concentration level of a gold fish 🙄

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 09, 2017, 07:19:48 pm by mrfrostsdad »

So presumably when we don't concede in the ĺast five minutes, they are good enough then.

We have to be good for the whole 90 minutes, or 97, 98 minutes or whatever it is, and quite clearly we're not. Our league position shows that

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 09, 2017, 07:20:11 pm by Cramby10 »
Can't we 'see a game out'?!!

Rochdale away. 1-0 up, they equalise in the 92nd minute & 'nick' all 3 points in the 94th minute. 3 points lost in time added on.

Shrewsbury home. 1-1 they score the winner in the 94th minute. 1 point 'dropped' in time added on.

Rotherham home. 1-0 up, they equalise in the 96th minute. 2 points lost in time added on.

Another 96th minute goal conceded today costing us yet another point lost in time added on.

I don't have to do the maths for you but those points 'lost' would have seen us sat 'comfortably' 9th in the table.

It's about game management. Today it happened to be Alfie May having a shot on goal in the 95th minute instead of 'looking after the ball', one minute later & Oxford attack & score, the ref blows his whistle after we restart the game, "Ta for that" 'say' Oxford. We'd better start learning how to do it, better late than never because otherwise we're going to spend the rest of the season looking over our shoulders.....if we're lucky!
You rightly list the late goals conceded, but you can also add the early goals conceded in either half and the numerous times we have conceded immediately after scoring into the same bracket!
To me this says we are very mentally weak. With concentration being a massive issue. At first it was a little annoying and possibly unlucky. But when it happens so often i put it down to being totally unprofessional.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 09, 2017, 07:24:17 pm by vaya »

We have to be good for the whole 90 minutes, or 97, 98 minutes or whatever it is, and quite clearly we're not. Our league position shows that

So what you're saying is, even in the games we've won, we haven't been good enough.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 09, 2017, 07:24:58 pm by BigH »
The thing that puzzles me is that conceding late goals and points in games that mattered was a feature of the second half of DF's first season. Points that would have kept us up. 

DF and this team need to learn fast.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 09, 2017, 07:45:07 pm by the vicar »
Lot better team with Baudry in it than without him, first half we closed them down a treat half way through the second half we stopped doing it and then gave there player to much room to get his shot away, but it would of been totally different if the one that hit the post witch personally I thought it went over the line if I had gon in I think we would of won by a couple

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 09, 2017, 08:07:51 pm by Peebles Rover »
I think, unfortunately, this might be the answer.  It's probably no co-incidence that the good sides tend to score more than the average number of late goals.  Look at the Man U side when they were in their pomp - how many late goals did they score.  We start to do a number of things wrong in the last few minutes, back off, aimless kicking of the ball, mental panics, etc, etc - because we're not a top league one side yet

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 09, 2017, 09:27:33 pm by selby »
  That Alfie May header was a clear chance in the six yard box again,the goal was another bad pass  straight to one of the Oxford players 6 yds from him by Mason again,same players making the same mistakes week after week.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 09, 2017, 09:40:44 pm by Avsuptem »
Whereas I understand everybody's frustration I just do not support the view that we are crap at seeing out games. In my view it is mostly down to the cruelty of the footballing Gods, bad luck, DRFC's deadly curse or whatever you like to call it. I do agree that we deserve 9 more points than we have this season. We can only hope and prey that the pendulum of luck swings back in our favour sometime soon, the laws of probability say that is should.

I nearly through my laptop at the telly when the goal went in.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 09, 2017, 09:45:17 pm by The Red Baron »
  That Alfie May header was a clear chance in the six yard box again,the goal was another bad pass  straight to one of the Oxford players 6 yds from him by Mason again,same players making the same mistakes week after week.

I quite like Mason but I thought he was a weak link today. A right back is a real priority for me in January. Toffolo did ok, and although I'd like someone quicker there I wouldn't be against keeping him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 09, 2017, 09:47:33 pm by RedJ »
It was a bit out of nowhere the shot, though it seemed to me it was allowed to happen because of people backing off again.

Mason was dreadful in the first half, could barely string a pass together.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 09, 2017, 10:16:20 pm by selby »
 Donnievic, yes you can blame Alfie, if that had been Marquise or any other Striker it would have been classed as missing a sitter from six yards, which it was, and it is not the first one Alfie has missed from that range this season,but he runs(not very fast) and we all love him for effort.
  It was very similar to an effort at Exeter by Mandeville last season,he scored.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 09, 2017, 10:19:53 pm by RedJ »
It wasn't really a sitter though was it?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 09, 2017, 10:36:01 pm by selby »
  He was on the corner of the six yard box, and he did not have to jump, it went well over the bar, I expect better, at least hit the target, it was a poor effort at a very good chance to me.
  Something we excel at, missing chances.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 09, 2017, 10:42:18 pm by Bessie Red »
It was a bit out of nowhere the shot, though it seemed to me it was allowed to happen because of people backing off again.

Whiteman didnt close the scorer down & allowed him to set himself for the shot.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 09, 2017, 11:08:54 pm by RedJ »

Whiteman didnt close the scorer down & allowed him to set himself for the shot.

I thought so, just wasn't sure who it was that stood off.

Lawlor had plenty of time to get himself behind it though. His starting position was dreadful but it was from quite a distance. Etheridge was crucified for similar at Accrington.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 10, 2017, 12:09:07 am by selby »
Whiteman was blowing out of his backside ten minutes from the end and should have been substituted,and Houghton tired visibly as well.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 10, 2017, 11:46:51 am by mrfrostsdad »
Whereas I understand everybody's frustration I just do not support the view that we are crap at seeing out games. In my view it is mostly down to the cruelty of the footballing Gods, bad luck, DRFC's deadly curse or whatever you like to call it. I do agree that we deserve 9 more points than we have this season. We can only hope and prey that the pendulum of luck swings back in our favour sometime soon, the laws of probability say that is should.

I nearly through my laptop at the telly when the goal went in.

Oh dear. I really do think that's probably the biggest load of nonsense I've read on here for a long time. In my opinion obviously

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 10, 2017, 12:55:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Laziness. Simple as. Whiteman should be hanging his head in shame along with Lawlor with the pathetic effort to save that shot.

Players, fans alike, the game isn't over until it's over! Relaxing mentally when you reach the 90 minute mark is foolish. And boy, have we been made to look fools this season. How much hurt does it take for the penny to drop?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 10, 2017, 05:01:43 pm by donnievic »
Donnievic, yes you can blame Alfie, if that had been Marquise or any other Striker it would have been classed as missing a sitter from six yards, which it was, and it is not the first one Alfie has missed from that range this season,but he runs(not very fast) and we all love him for effort.
  It was very similar to an effort at Exeter by Mandeville last season,he scored.
hardly a sitter though and I was referring to the opening post saying may should look after the ball more but like I said not sure what he could do apart from score it was t like he surrounded by defenders and should of taken the ball to the corner to waste time

TinyPortal © 2005-2012