Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:46:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Fleetwood game  (Read 5407 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Fleetwood game
« on February 14, 2018, 10:39:52 am by selby »
   A  lot of what I agree with has been mentioned on another thread headed Fleetwood so something of a double thread.
   Unfortunately most of the questions will be about our manager, and his constant changing of formation and more worrying, personnel every game.
  My fear that we would go to three at the back as soon as one of our centre halfs returned to fitness came to fruition with another defeat, and without Coppinger and Rowe in midfield handed over the midfield at Walsall to Chambers and his mates.
     Well here goes.
     What formation would you pick?
      Which players would you play in that formation
     What is you score prediction?
     How will our recent form affect the attendence?
     In your opinion is Fergie getting the best out of this group of players? 
      In your opinion, have we ever, and can we play three at the back with our present players?
      Lots to discuss, over to you.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Fleetwood game
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2018, 10:43:32 am by Filo »
Simple, MUST WIN!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2018, 10:55:33 am by selby »
A simple enough answer Filo, and very true, but how would you go about achieving a result?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2018, 10:57:28 am by Cantley Rover »
Start the game with a back four.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 14, 2018, 11:04:11 am by selby »
  Cantley, that's a very sensible start.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 14, 2018, 11:06:02 am by Cantley Rover »
  Cantley, that's a very sensible start.

The stubborn bugger wont do it though.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 14, 2018, 11:09:48 am by Bentley Bullet »
Up the tempo and stop playing like slugs on valium.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 14, 2018, 11:16:18 am by Filo »
A simple enough answer Filo, and very true, but how would you go about achieving a result?

I'd address the full back positions first, do something radical and play a left back in the left back position (Garrett), same with the Right back position (Mason), can't comment on the two CB's I've not seen them play. Midfield, Luke comes in for Houghton, Copps right of a Diamond, Rowe left, and Whiteman at the tip behind Marquis and Kiwomya

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 14, 2018, 11:20:47 am by Cramby10 »

I'd address the full back positions first, do something radical and play a left back in the left back position (Garrett), same with the Right back position (Mason), can't comment on the two CB's I've not seen them play. Midfield, Luke comes in for Houghton, Copps right of a Diamond, Rowe left, and Whiteman at the tip behind Marquis and Kiwomya
good call. Sounds like a far too sensible line up for our regime at the moment though.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 14, 2018, 11:22:25 am by Cantley Rover »

We signed Mason as a midfield player. yet another one who Ferguson wants to play out of position.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 14, 2018, 11:22:45 am by Campsall rover »
With two full backs playing at full back ie Mason and Garrett.
Am I not right in suggesting during our excellent December we played with those two.
What has Garrett done wrong, yes he is no Danny Andrew but he is a left back. TOMMY ROWE IS NOT.
I AM GOING TO BLOW A GASKET at this rate. There is steam coming out of my head, the number of times I am saying the same thing.
For crying out loud FERGIE do the job you are paid to do or GO.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 14, 2018, 11:24:29 am by Filo »
With two full backs playing at full back ie Mason and Garrett.
Am I not right in suggesting during our excellent December we played with those two.
What has Garrett done wrong, yes he is no Danny Andrew but he is a left back. TOMMY ROWE IS NOT.
I AM GOING TO BLOW A GASKET at this rate. There is steam coming out of my head, the number of times I am saying the same thing.
For crying out loud FERGIE do the job you are paid to do or GO.

Garrett got ripped a new arsehole by the quick skill lad at Scunny, has n't had a look in since then

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 14, 2018, 11:32:12 am by The Red Baron »

I like that team. Even better if Baudry can come in at CB. Houghton has been poor lately and needs a spell on the bench. Whiteman was as bad but should at least be given a chance behind the strikers. I'd be inclined to start with Kiwomya if he can give us an hour. He doesn't seem to have got very involved when I've seen him come on.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 14, 2018, 11:37:20 am by Filo »

I like that team. Even better if Baudry can come in at CB. Houghton has been poor lately and needs a spell on the bench. Whiteman was as bad but should at least be given a chance behind the strikers. I'd be inclined to start with Kiwomya if he can give us an hour. He doesn't seem to have got very involved when I've seen him come on.

At least that line up gives you players that are comfortable in those positions, I'd also instruct the front three of the diamond to interchange positions

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 14, 2018, 11:42:00 am by dickos1 »

We signed Mason as a midfield player. yet another one who Ferguson wants to play out of position.

We signed him as a centre half I'm sure,
He made his debut there at Accrington

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 14, 2018, 11:47:49 am by Campsall rover »

Hey do you know Filo we might just might score a goal or even two goals before we concede one (or 2 or 3 ) with that starting line up. Too simple for DF that one I’m afraid as it would mean putting round pegs in round holes something he only does on very rare occasions. It worked in December so he has decided to abandon it. BRILLIANT. Sorry my patience has gone completely. INCOMPETENCE is the word I would use now.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 14, 2018, 11:49:45 am by GazLaz »

We signed him as a centre half I'm sure,
He made his debut there at Accrington

I thought he was centre half before he came to us. I don’t get all this square pegs in round holes talk. We played Blair and Rowe at wing back, we’ve all seen them both play very well in that position before. Fair enough we’ve played a right footer at left back at times out of necessity but I don’t think it’s been happening all the time. Players have been doing the basics badly at times, that’s where the issues have come from.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 14, 2018, 12:12:37 pm by RedJ »
I think he was meant to be a holding midfielder originally.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 14, 2018, 12:56:38 pm by selby »
  Houghton has been over run lately because of Whitemans bad form, and the sloppy play by him and blair giving the ball away in mid field.
  McCollough is our best midfield player, and with Houghton would form a formidable screen in front of a back four, Garrett played at Portsmouth anght ghtd did OK. so the right back position is up for grabs. Mason has been OK, and I could go along with that, but as I said before Walsall, I would give Baudry a go.  The other four  further forward would include Coppinger, Rowe,Marquis, and one other.
    If Kiwomya  is fit to start, we have to see what he has got some time, and better in a home game.
 4 2 3 1  with Kiwomya playing just behind Marquis, and Rowe and Coppinger a free hand to get in the mix.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 14, 2018, 01:20:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
It's weird that some people suggest we need to speed our game up, for me it's the complete opposite we need to slow it down and have some composure.

Against Walsall, McCullough was getting the ball and pinging it instantly in every direction but to a player. We have this enduring tendency at the moment to play some sideways passes across the defense then a lob a hopeless ball forward. Blair gets the ball and instantly runs towards their goal with no other conviction than he plans to run. Kongolo gets the ball and instantly runs in any direction with no other conviction than he plans to run. Whiteman and Houghton are trying to outdo each other in the 'I'm a holding midfielder and look at me play an instant miracle ball' game.

The first 20 minutes against Walsall I was honestly getting neck ache watching the ball be pinged back and forth between the two teams. It was frantic and the complete antithesis of quality football. Getting f**king Rowe and Copps on the ball, draw some players in, create some room and have some composure in what we're doing - and some confidence on the ball.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 14, 2018, 02:01:51 pm by RoversAlias »
I would shift to a back 4 for this game as we need Rowe further forward. It'd be a flat midfield too but I doubt Fergie will play that, 4-4-1-1 if I was in charge.

Lawlor
Mason - Baudry - Anderson - Garratt
Blair - Whiteman - Houghton - Rowe
Coppinger
Marquis

To be honest though that maybe doesn't get the best out of our midfield. I don't know, I'm not a football manager but the defence needs sorting now. I'm assuming Beestin will be rested as he looked shattered by the end of the Charlton game and wasn't apparently very involved last night.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 14, 2018, 02:21:07 pm by bobbymax »
I would shift to a back 4 for this game as we need Rowe further forward. It'd be a flat midfield too but I doubt Fergie will play that, 4-4-1-1 if I was in charge.

Lawlor
Coppinger
Marquis

To be honest though that maybe doesn't get the best out of our midfield. I don't know, I'm not a football manager but the defence needs sorting now. I'm assuming Beestin will be rested as he looked shattered by the end of the Charlton game and wasn't apparently very involved last night.
Replace Houghton or Whiteman with McCullough and I'd go with that as a starting point if Baudry is fit enough.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 14, 2018, 02:32:19 pm by Campsall rover »

Lawlor
Coppinger
Marquis

Replace Houghton or Whiteman with McCullough and I'd go with that as a starting point if Baudry is fit enough.
Agreed McCullough in midfield instead of Whiteman as he looks out of sorts at the moment.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 14, 2018, 05:38:28 pm by drfchound »

Are you available if Ferguson gets sacked?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 14, 2018, 11:10:36 pm by Filo »

As a follow on to this, as I've said elsewhere, I'd have the front three of the diamond interchange positions, if Rowe goes to the tip, Copps goes left side and Whitman drops in right side. If Copps goes to the tip Whiteman again drops in right side, this way you got the opposition defenders distracted with the constant switching of positions. I'd also get encourage the full backs to get higher up when they can, knowing that Luke is there to cover them when they do. I believe that team and formation has goals in it

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2018, 09:58:34 am by DearneValleyRover »

Lawlor
Coppinger
Marquis

Agreed McCullough in midfield instead of Whiteman as he looks out of sorts at the moment.

I would go with that accept as well as McCullough for Whiteman, I would put Copps for Blair and Kiwomya on, a proper 4-4-2 leaving no space for their full backs to get in behind and allowing Marquis to be where he should be, in the middle not on the wings.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2018, 09:59:54 am by drfchound »
Most people are wanting us to play as a 4-4-2.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2018, 10:05:18 am by DearneValleyRover »

It's solid, we have the players who can play very well in that formation, It would utilise Coppinger and Rowe's skills far more and keep Marquis in the middle where he has more chance of scoring. It may not be inspiring and adventurous but it's solid and would see us get points which we need desperately, the sooner we get to 50 points the better. Once that landmark is achieved he can bugger about with the formation to his hearts content for me.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2018, 10:18:17 am by Campsall rover »
Bring back Dave Penney hound he will play 4-4-2 never played any other way and it didn’t work too badly did it.
Strange isn’t it nearly all clubs play a flat back 4 in this country. Did the most succesful manager this country has EVER seen, someone’s dad i’ve heard, play 3 centre backs. I think we all know the answer to that one. Why does our manager think he can do it with this squad. He did it at Peterborough and they conceded around 80 goals that season. The saving grace was they scored well over 100 goals.
Entertaining stuff!!!
Not going to work this season at DRFC because we won’t score 50

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2018, 11:04:57 am by i_ateallthepies »
Given Fergie's propensity for stubbornness and never listening to the blindingly obvious I think the trick here for us is to suggest formations and positions that will have no chance of success, doing our best to cover every conceivable nonsense permutation.  Leaving unsaid only those options that stand a real chance of working.  That way we paint him into a corner and he is left with no option other than to put out a sensible formation with players in their best positions.

I'll kick it off...

GK... Coppinger

RCB Rowe                CCB May              LCB Beestin

DM Blair

RWB Anderson                CM Boyle              LWB Marquis

Garrett               Mason

Marosi

TinyPortal © 2005-2012