Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:10:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hall of Fame  (Read 7321 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Hall of Fame
« on February 15, 2018, 11:39:11 am by RoversAlias »
Six Rovers legends will be inducted to the Hall of Fame at the Fleetwood game on Saturday.

Harry Gregg
Brian Deane
Ian Snodin
Adam Lockwood
Syd Bycroft
Alan Warboys

All very worthy of the distinction and it'll be great to see them all back at the Rovers I'm sure.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on February 15, 2018, 12:04:58 pm by the vicar »
Ian Miller should be in there and also should Poncho Reagan
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:06:50 pm by the vicar »

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 15, 2018, 12:13:36 pm by wing commander »
Alan Warboys now he was a player,One of my childhood favourites..

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 15, 2018, 12:28:14 pm by The Red Baron »
Six Rovers legends will be inducted to the Hall of Fame at the Fleetwood game on Saturday.

Harry Gregg
Brian Deane
Ian Snodin
Adam Lockwood
Syd Bycroft
Alan Warboys

All very worthy of the distinction and it'll be great to see them all back at the Rovers I'm sure.

You'll have a job to see Syd!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 15, 2018, 12:31:37 pm by Filo »

Harry Gregg
Brian Deane
Ian Snodin
Adam Lockwood
Syd Bycroft
Alan Warboys

Don’t think you’ll be seeing Syd Bycroft

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 15, 2018, 12:34:11 pm by Highland Rover »
 Who makes the decisions about inductees ?
 Sorry , but I don't see Adam Lockwood as a legend , gave good service to the club I must admit but there must be many other players worth consideration

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2018, 01:14:38 pm by GazLaz »
Before my time but was Brian Deane a legend for us? Good player elsewhere but from what I’ve heard he didn’t pull any trees up at Belle Vue.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 15, 2018, 01:22:04 pm by IDM »
Brian Deane broke into the first team as a gangly youth, think bambi on ice.

He started the next season stronger, fitter, and looked a real threat.  Then we sold him!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 15, 2018, 01:29:40 pm by Filo »

He started the next season stronger, fitter, and looked a real threat.  Then we sold him!

Practically gave him to Sheff Utd and they made millions on him

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2018, 01:58:01 pm by RoversAlias »
Red Baron, Filo - pedantic! I'm sure a family member will represent him. I'm merely bringing it to the forum's attention since everyone seems too caught up in arguing about Fergie and the players this week. This is something positive and something to look forward to on Saturday.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2018, 02:13:04 pm by silent majority »
Who makes the decisions about inductees ?
 Sorry , but I don't see Adam Lockwood as a legend , gave good service to the club I must admit but there must be many other players worth consideration

The person who has responsibility heads up the Commercial team but of course everybody will have input. Deciding who is worthy and who isn't is one for debate, where do you draw the line? We are taking about a Hall of Fame and not a Hall of Legends.

Adam Lockwood played over 150 games for the club and Brian Deane didn't play anywhere near that number. However BD went on to represent his country and therefore is worthy of inclusion for that very reason.

I agree with RA, all worthy inductees.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 15, 2018, 02:31:59 pm by Filo »

Sold to Sheff Utd for £25k

Sheff Utd sold him to Leeds for £2.9M,

We had no sell on clause 😤

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2018, 02:45:22 pm by the vicar »
Although he was good Brian Dean only played 66 games and 12 goals for us so i dont think that is legendary for me

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 15, 2018, 02:49:12 pm by 1879Rovers »
Alan Warboys now he was a player,One of my childhood favourites..

And mine. Superb striker who became a top defender. His injury in 81 really messed up our chances of back to back promotions. I think it was in the Huddersfield game at home, we lost 2-1, and we were never the same team again that season having been right up there in the early part of the season. I remember a succession of 1-0 wins.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2018, 02:50:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Deane’s inclusion is a bit of a stretch. He became a top class player after he left is but he was hardly hall of fame material when he was with us. I’d prefer to see players who had been real heroes playing for us.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2018, 02:53:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I was working with Blades fans at the time. Remember saying that we’d got the best deal getting £45k for Deane and spending £30k on Paul Dobson.

Shows what I know about strikers. Dobson scored a couple of dozen more goals in his career in Div 4. Deane scores 200 goals in his career, went for £8m in transfer fees, played in the Premier League and for Benfica and got an England cap.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2018, 02:57:31 pm by NickDRFC »
Deane’s inclusion is a bit of a stretch. He became a top class player after he left is but he was hardly hall of fame material when he was with us. I’d prefer to see players who had been real heroes playing for us.

Agreed, it is after all a Rovers Hall of Fame rather than a football Hall of Fame. I'm sure the thinking of it is that he's a relatively big name, rather than he did anything to really warrant it.

By the way, does anyone have a full list of all the Hall of Fame inductees? I can't say I've heard much about it, vaguely remember Duggie or someone like that being inducted but I'm sure that was a while back...

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2018, 03:23:29 pm by MachoMadness »
Great idea this, and can see the reasoning behind all the inductees. Anyone know if it'll be a yearly thing or will it just be whenever we want? Most yearly hall of fames suffer from the same thing, which is eventually running out of worthy names and having to induct a few also-rans. A hall of fame where we eventually have to induct Guy Ipoua and Mark Sale would be a sight to see.

Also will it be extended to include off-pitch people? Would be nice to see Paul Mayfield, Andy Liney, Eric Randerson etc and of course JR get some recognition. Among many others of course.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2018, 03:34:03 pm by Danmckay456 »
Adam Lockwood your having a laugh , bang average we’ve had numerous centre backs by far better than him , Graeme Lee was more consistent defender

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2018, 03:41:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Great idea this, and can see the reasoning behind all the inductees. Anyone know if it'll be a yearly thing or will it just be whenever we want? Most yearly hall of fames suffer from the same thing, which is eventually running out of worthy names and having to induct a few also-rans. A hall of fame where we eventually have to induct Guy Ipoua and Mark Sale would be a sight to see.

Also will it be extended to include off-pitch people? Would be nice to see Paul Mayfield, Andy Liney, Eric Randerson etc and of course JR get some recognition. Among many others of course.

It does seem to be as-and-when, several other players have been inducted usually in one-offs at intermittent times in the season. Colin Douglas definitely went in not too long ago, and there are a few others but the specific names have slipped my mind at the moment. Don't know if it's recorded on the website somewhere or not.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2018, 03:48:23 pm by Donnywolf »

Maybe in for scoring first ever Premiership goal ? Though not for us of course !

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2018, 03:50:57 pm by mushRTID »
Adam Lockwood?

A good solid pro for us who never let us down. But if we’re including him in a “Hall of fame” then I’m sorry but it kind of devalues it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2018, 04:01:06 pm by Filo »

It does seem to be as-and-when, several other players have been inducted usually in one-offs at intermittent times in the season. Colin Douglas definitely went in not too long ago, and there are a few others but the specific names have slipped my mind at the moment. Don't know if it's recorded on the website somewhere or not.

Alick Jeffrey, Glyn Snodin, Peter Kitchen, Andy Warrington, Charlie Williams, Brian Makepeice?

Are names I seem to remember of the top of my head

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2018, 04:19:03 pm by dickos1 »
There's always going to be people complaining about things like this, Especially on here. There's be no list which everyone would agree on

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 15, 2018, 04:22:18 pm by the vicar »
I don't see anyone complaining just discussing things for a change lol

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 15, 2018, 04:26:39 pm by mushRTID »
There's always going to be people complaining about things like this, Especially on here. There's be no list which everyone would agree on

Agree with vicar why are you over exaggerating?

It’s a discussion.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 15, 2018, 04:42:21 pm by The Red Baron »

I'd like to see some posthumous inclusions. Tom Keetley, Fred Emery, Len Graham and Bert Tindill for starters. I'll work on it and put it to the club. Maybe they can be included next season.

EDIT - and before BRR pulls me up, add Walter Langton to that list!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:51:19 pm by The Red Baron »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 15, 2018, 04:44:10 pm by dickos1 »

It’s a discussion.

It is,
I'm just saying there's never going to be a list what everyone agrees on.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 15, 2018, 04:45:18 pm by esdailles left foot »
It's what he does. Cos remember it's all about him.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 15, 2018, 04:46:26 pm by esdailles left foot »

It’s a discussion.

It is,
I'm just saying there's never going to be a list what everyone agrees on.

No you we're having a dig at certain posters as usual

TinyPortal © 2005-2012