Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:02:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hall of Fame  (Read 7315 times)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Hall of Fame
« Reply #30 on February 15, 2018, 04:52:21 pm by Wild Rover »
Surely Laurie Sheffield should be on the list, as should Terry Curran, Paul Raven and many others no doubt. As vicar says no list will ever satisfy majority.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 15, 2018, 04:52:48 pm by The Red Baron »
Deane’s inclusion is a bit of a stretch. He became a top class player after he left is but he was hardly hall of fame material when he was with us. I’d prefer to see players who had been real heroes playing for us.

Agreed, it is after all a Rovers Hall of Fame rather than a football Hall of Fame. I'm sure the thinking of it is that he's a relatively big name, rather than he did anything to really warrant it.

By the way, does anyone have a full list of all the Hall of Fame inductees? I can't say I've heard much about it, vaguely remember Duggie or someone like that being inducted but I'm sure that was a while back...

I've got the list. Will dig it out and post on here.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 15, 2018, 04:53:48 pm by The Red Baron »
Surely Laurie Sheffield should be on the list, as should Terry Curran, Paul Raven and many others no doubt. As vicar says no list will ever satisfy majority.

Off the top of my head I think Laurie is on it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 15, 2018, 05:09:48 pm by NickDRFC »
Deane’s inclusion is a bit of a stretch. He became a top class player after he left is but he was hardly hall of fame material when he was with us. I’d prefer to see players who had been real heroes playing for us.

Agreed, it is after all a Rovers Hall of Fame rather than a football Hall of Fame. I'm sure the thinking of it is that he's a relatively big name, rather than he did anything to really warrant it.

By the way, does anyone have a full list of all the Hall of Fame inductees? I can't say I've heard much about it, vaguely remember Duggie or someone like that being inducted but I'm sure that was a while back...

I've got the list. Will dig it out and post on here.

Thanks. I tried googling it but no joy - even if there is something physical at the Keepmoat (I don't think there is but there may be), it wouldn't be hard to keep a list of the names and their career stats at the Rovers online. Shouldn't be up to one of the fans to track!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 15, 2018, 05:24:50 pm by The Red Baron »
The club asked me to check the appearance stats for the players concerned. Over the summer we'll be looking at sorting out the records for the club.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 15, 2018, 05:25:41 pm by ian1980 »
I’m sure there is a Hall of Fame board up on the wall as you enter the hospitality lounge

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 15, 2018, 05:34:23 pm by dickos1 »
There's always going to be people complaining about things like this, Especially on here. There's be no list which everyone would agree on

Agree with vicar why are you over exaggerating?

It’s a discussion.

It is,
I'm just saying there's never going to be a list what everyone agrees on.

No you we're having a dig at certain posters as usual

Thanks for trying to tell me what I'm doing, but as per usual you're talking out your backside.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 15, 2018, 09:28:20 pm by Danmckay456 »
Get nic priet in;-)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 15, 2018, 09:43:48 pm by roversdude »
I thought we had better cash the cheque for Brian Deane quickly before blunts figured things out. Little did I know

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 16, 2018, 01:37:57 pm by IDM »
Alan Warboys now he was a player,One of my childhood favourites..

And mine. Superb striker who became a top defender. His injury in 81 really messed up our chances of back to back promotions. I think it was in the Huddersfield game at home, we lost 2-1, and we were never the same team again that season having been right up there in the early part of the season. I remember a succession of 1-0 wins.

If I remember rightly, that 1-2 vs Huddersfield was on a friday evening, and it was very foggy?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 16, 2018, 03:49:30 pm by The Red Baron »
Including those to be inducted tomorrow:

Syd Bycroft
James Coppinger
Brian Deane
Colin Douglas
Harry Gregg
Alick Jeffrey
Peter Kitchen
Adam Lockwood
J. J. Price
Tim Ryan
Laurie Sheffield
Glynn Snodin
Ian Snodin
Andy Warrington
Charlie Williams

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 16, 2018, 08:27:46 pm by BigH »
Big Bren anyone? Dennis Peacock was a bit of a legend. Steve Lister, Billy Russell?

What they'd make of football nowadays...

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 17, 2018, 03:23:55 am by 1879Rovers »
Alan Warboys now he was a player,One of my childhood favourites..

And mine. Superb striker who became a top defender. His injury in 81 really messed up our chances of back to back promotions. I think it was in the Huddersfield game at home, we lost 2-1, and we were never the same team again that season having been right up there in the early part of the season. I remember a succession of 1-0 wins.

If I remember rightly, that 1-2 vs Huddersfield was on a friday evening, and it was very foggy?

You are correct. I was in the cowsheds and you could hardly see the Rossington End.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 17, 2018, 09:35:11 am by Highland Rover »
Looking at the current list , there's only Syd Bycroft pre-WW2 ....... Tom Keetley surely has to be included

What about nominating teams rather than individuals , 1946-47 record breaking side for example ,
Wembley play off side etc ?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 17, 2018, 10:31:41 am by Filo »
Surely our founding father should be in there, Albert Jenkins

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 17, 2018, 07:30:54 pm by roversdude »
Still struggling with the concept of this when we induct Brian Deane and Adam Lockwood

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 17, 2018, 07:35:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Made me laugh Gregg mentioning how good our pitch was and saying how much better it was compared to the sandpits at his local team then were there 50 years later filling in pot holes with sand.

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 17, 2018, 07:37:58 pm by legendslounger »
great effort by the club, enjoyed a chat with one or two later.  :) :)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 17, 2018, 07:47:51 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I love the Hall of Fame idea. It’s gives me a chance to wear my rose tinted glasses and tell the kids how much better players were ‘back in my day’!!

Re Brian Deane, I used to chat with him quite often in the old social club bar at belle vue. He’d often be in there after a game with Andy Rhodes. He was a really, really nice kid who was unfortunate enough to be playing in a really poor team. I’d have loved him to have been a couple of years older and let Bremmner nurture him instead of Cusack.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 17, 2018, 07:54:01 pm by pib »
Lockwood was a good steady player for us. Played a lot of games over a long spell, was a fairly big part of our most successful team in 50 odd years making most of his appearances in the Championship, and most significantly lifted the play-off trophy at Wembley.

Not a bad record at all. Not the most outstanding player to pull on the shirt but you can't argue with what the club achieved when he was part of it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 17, 2018, 08:17:20 pm by roversdude »
Nothing against either BD or Locky although not sure about being a legend though
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:26:47 pm by roversdude »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 17, 2018, 09:21:21 pm by Filo »
Warboys looked like he was struggling with his legs

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 17, 2018, 09:50:38 pm by RedJ »
Should ask Copps for some tips considering how long his legs have supposedly been gone...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 17, 2018, 11:03:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Lockwood was a good steady player for us. Played a lot of games over a long spell, was a fairly big part of our most successful team in 50 odd years making most of his appearances in the Championship, and most significantly lifted the play-off trophy at Wembley.

Not a bad record at all. Not the most outstanding player to pull on the shirt but you can't argue with what the club achieved when he was part of it.

All true and don't forget he was club captain for most of this time too. Tells you all about his character and importance in the squad when he lifted the L1 Play Off trophy at Wembley along with Stock despite missing most of the season with injury.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 18, 2018, 09:48:08 am by phil old leake »
I agree with the possible induction of off the field candidates.   Would John Ryan fall into that category

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 18, 2018, 09:55:58 am by adamtherover »
We were debating the merits of how you join such a list at HT. Is it fan reactions to a player,  i.e. jj price, or performances on the pitch. Say billy sharp?   Probs both deserved for different reasons...

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 18, 2018, 10:08:53 am by sheffield exile1 »
Are any of the famous 50's team who had a sustained period in Division 2 (The championship in new money) in there?  Brian Makepiece comes to mind as one i think is. Peter Doherty and a couple of others were Irish internationals I believe. And yes, Windy Miller (5-1 Newport, one man show) and Pancho Reagan definitely my boyhood heroes under Big Lawrie....Ironically I remember the 1-0 win at Millmoor 1970? when Pancho took Jim Furnell out, robust tackles allowed in those days...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 18, 2018, 10:16:01 am by selby »
  It is one of those subjects everyone has a different opinion about.
  Lets just accept it for what it is, something the club is trying to do to recognise some of the players that have given us supporters pleasure watching them over the years.
  As sure as I am that every player inducted deserve to be, there will be many just as deserving will miss out, it does not mean that we as supporters think any less of them.
  After all they have all been our heroes at some time.  Good bad or indifferent I cannot think of any that can be accused of not trying their best for us, and that is all we can ask of them.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 18, 2018, 11:19:32 am by Bollinger »
Warboys looked like he was struggling with his legs

He might be but when I had the chance to speak to him a few years ago he was struggling, as he had done for years, with his back. At the time he was driving a van for a living which no doubt made things worse.

He was dumbfounded as to why the club had never asked him to do any coaching over the years. A pity. His footballing brain was immense. Watching him in that 80/81 season was a joy and a privilege. He couldn't outrun anybody but he could out-think them and outmanoeuvre them. It was a masterclass in the art of the No.9.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 18, 2018, 11:49:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Alan Warboys is in my top 5 all time Rovers heroes. He and Alan Little were the rocks that the 1980/81 side was built around. The mesters who made it possible for the younger players to achieve.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012