Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:19:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bottom 3  (Read 5921 times)

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Bottom 3
« Reply #30 on February 18, 2018, 02:32:07 pm by Cantley Rover »
I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that when we refer to a back 4 we mean 2 full backs with two centre halfs. Not 2 wingers/midfield players filling in as full backs.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 18, 2018, 03:38:46 pm by Campsall rover »
I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that when we refer to a back 4 we mean 2 full backs with two centre halfs. Not 2 wingers/midfield players filling in as full backs.
Correct from where I am coming from. That’s as yesterday line up, although Mason was picked on the wrong side, left and not right back. As it happened he was outstanding.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 18, 2018, 03:56:50 pm by dickos1 »
That's the point though if we'd lost everyone would be saying why did he play mason left back!
I think we just need to praise the players for playing better than they have been doing.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 18, 2018, 04:09:10 pm by RedJ »
Mason didn't get exposed at left back because they were w**k.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 18, 2018, 04:34:56 pm by Campsall rover »
That helped of course. If you had been at Walsall even you Dickos would have confined the 3/5 wing back system to the bin for the rest of the season. The players looked negged out in the warm up, never mind the game itself.
One point I want to make is I am NOT anti that system totally but we DO NOT have the personnel in our squad to play it.
If we had for example a Jimmy O’connor (in his prime of course) and Danny Andrew with TWO of the three centre backs with loads of pace and we had a Brian Stock and Richie Wellens type quality in the middle of the park then it would work.
Hence premier league clubs play it quite a bit because of the Quality Players at their disposal.
We do not have that luxury, hence we need to stick to basics. KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
If he does that, looking at the table we could finish as high as 8th this season.
Onwards and Upwards.  :thumbsup:

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 18, 2018, 05:15:54 pm by Cantley Rover »
That's the point though if we'd lost everyone would be saying why did he play mason left back!
I think we just need to praise the players for playing better than they have been doing.

No it isn't the point. The point is we played a proper defensive back four. We didn't play 2 centre halfs and a full back trying to cover each other at the back with 2 wingers/midfield players having to cover the full back positions.
In other words we had players playing in the positions they are best at. Thats why we played a lot better yesterday. Players knew what they were doing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:18:47 pm by Cantley Rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 18, 2018, 05:19:30 pm by Campsall rover »

No it isn't the point. The point is we played a proper defensive back four. We didn't play 2 centre halfs and a full back trying to cover each other at the back with 2 wingers/midfield players having to cover the full back positions.
In other words we had players playing in the positions they are best at. Thats why we played a lot better yesterday. Players knew what they were doing.
Correct

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 18, 2018, 05:29:54 pm by drfchound »

Correct

Agreed, no reason why Mason shouldn’t have played LB either, he has played there often enough.
In fact he played LB in loads of games last season, probably the easiest promotion we have ever had.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting we only won because we played as a 4-4-2.
More likely it was because the players we had available were more comfortable in that system.
Also the two new CB’s have had time to become accustomed to playing with their new colleagues whereas in the previous home game they were still relatively new to each other.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:02:48 pm by drfchound »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 18, 2018, 06:12:59 pm by dickos1 »
That helped of course. If you had been at Walsall even you Dickos would have confined the 3/5 wing back system to the bin for the rest of the season. The players looked negged out in the warm up, never mind the game itself.
One point I want to make is I am NOT anti that system totally but we DO NOT have the personnel in our squad to play it.
If we had for example a Jimmy O’connor (in his prime of course) and Danny Andrew with TWO of the three centre backs with loads of pace and we had a Brian Stock and Richie Wellens type quality in the middle of the park then it would work.
Hence premier league clubs play it quite a bit because of the Quality Players at their disposal.
We do not have that luxury, hence we need to stick to basics. KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
If he does that, looking at the table we could finish as high as 8th this season.
Onwards and Upwards.  :thumbsup:

Even me?
I'm not a massive fan of 3-5-2 if you'd read my post the other day I said we should go 4-4-2 for the Fleetwood game.
But some people are acting like if we play 4-4-2 we will win every week.
And as other have said on here 3-5-2 does work in certain games. And has done and will continue to.
You don't start arguments with these other people when they say the same things as I do, just seem to jump in my posts and then accuse me of causing an arguement.
Fergie has said many times his preferred formation is the diamond, but there's been games not too long ago where we were losing and we changed to 3 at the back and got something from the game.
If you think simply playing 4-4-2 every week will automatically turn us into world beaters than you're daft

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 18, 2018, 06:15:33 pm by dickos1 »

Correct

Agreed, no reason why Mason shouldn’t have played LB either, he has played there often enough.
In fact he played LB in loads of games last season, probably the easiest promotion we have ever had.
More likely it was because the players we had available were more comfortable in that system.
Also the two new CB’s have had time to become accustomed to playing with their new colleagues whereas in the previous home game they were still relatively new to each other.

He has played there lots of times and when we've lost people have been complaining.
Stating why is he playing mason there when we have a left back on the bench,
When we win he's a round peg in a round hole, when we lose fergie has lost the plot playing him out of position
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:19:38 pm by dickos1 »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 18, 2018, 07:37:57 pm by Campsall rover »

Correct

He has played there lots of times and when we've lost people have been complaining.
Stating why is he playing mason there when we have a left back on the bench,
When we win he's a round peg in a round hole, when we lose fergie has lost the plot playing him out of position
Who has said we will win every game if we play 4-4-2 ???
Mason isn’t a left back but is on occasions capable. Depends who is up against him doesn’t it.
There are times Fergie playing him there has made him look stupid and he isn’t. I think he will become a very competent solid Right Back. He should play there every week. Shunting him around the pitch is doing him no favours. What has Garrett done wrong that’s the question. He can only improve also if he plays consistently at left back as he did in December. 4 wins & 1 draw. Need I say more.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 18, 2018, 07:53:25 pm by jonnydog »
On that showing, mark Fleetwood down for that last spot

... is he Micks brother??

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 18, 2018, 08:02:03 pm by dickos1 »
Back on topic,
I don't think any of the bottom 3 are going to get 50 points!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012