Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:57:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Our biggest rival?

Rotherham
62 (47.3%)
Scunthorpe
34 (26%)
Barnsley
29 (22.1%)
Other (Specify)
6 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Voting closed: February 22, 2018, 08:18:52 pm

Author Topic: Who's our biggest rival?  (Read 7841 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Who's our biggest rival?
« on February 17, 2018, 08:18:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »
With the Rotherham game next week. Lets see who people feel the biggest rival is...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Who's our biggest rival?
« Reply #1 on February 17, 2018, 08:26:21 pm by the vicar »
Our self we only need to fear our selves
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:32:46 pm by the vicar »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 17, 2018, 08:31:36 pm by Campsall rover »
Barnsley for me but only by a very short head from Rotherham.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 17, 2018, 08:32:50 pm by donnievic »
Rotherham scunny then York/Lincoln/Mansfield/Grimsby since I have been supporting then then Barnsley and sheff clubs when in same div

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 17, 2018, 08:43:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Rotherham scunny then York/Lincoln/Mansfield/Grimsby since I have been supporting then then Barnsley and sheff clubs when in same div
It would seem people are not picking Barnsley because they are in a different league.
The question should have read. ‘Who are our biggest rivals based on all the local clubs being in the same division.’  The poll would I am sure be a very close call between Rotherham and Barnsley with Scunthorpe 3rd. As we are not in the same division as Barnsley the poll is distorted as they are not rivals this season.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 17, 2018, 08:52:26 pm by donnievic »
Only really ever been rivals of Barnsley since we started playing against them in last 10 yearsor so before then they were just another local side but not really a rival

darren61

« Reply #6 on February 17, 2018, 08:58:36 pm by darren61 »
Always York or Lincoln

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 17, 2018, 09:04:23 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
All depends on which side of town you're from. But I think we can all agree the Holy Trinity is made up of SCUNNY, Rovrum and Barnsley.  ;)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 17, 2018, 09:52:03 pm by Campsall rover »
Only really ever been rivals of Barnsley since we started playing against them in last 10 yearsor so before then they were just another local side but not really a rival
Yes but we played against Barnsley in the 50’s 60’s 70’s on a regular basis for any one in their 50’s & 60’s + I would suggest Barnsley are the biggest rivals.
We have played Barnsley much more than Rotherham in the last 14 years so would be bigger rivals for the younger supporters. Thoughts anyone.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 17, 2018, 10:13:48 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Reckon it's an age/era thing.
 I was brought up on a diet of Barnsley, Barnsley and Barnsley so my choice is easy.
Scunthorpe is local to me but it just doesn't quite have the same feel.
Rotherham, who are they?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 17, 2018, 10:49:53 pm by idler »
Yes but we played against Barnsley in the 50’s 60’s 70’s on a regular basis for any one in their 50’s & 60’s + I would suggest Barnsley are the biggest rivals.
We have played Barnsley much more than Rotherham in the last 14 years so would be bigger rivals for the younger supporters. Thoughts anyone.
I agree Campsall, Barnsley shade it over Rotherham for me. We restarted our rivalry with Barnsley about 1964 whereas apart from the Sheffield County Cup league games against Rotherham didn't resume until about 1969.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2018, 12:06:26 am by Campsall rover »
All depends on which side of town you're from. But I think we can all agree the Holy Trinity is made up of SCUNNY, Rovrum and Barnsley.  ;)
But if you live in Haxey you are in Lincolnshire so you are a lot nearer Scunthorpe.
Doncaster is in S.Yorkshire so Barnsley and Rotherham are natural rivals.
Ask Scunthorpe fans and they will say Lincoln and Grimsby are bigger rivals to them than us.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 18, 2018, 12:18:01 am by dickos1 »
Yep, and hull

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 18, 2018, 12:26:29 am by Campsall rover »
In mileage terms. Town centre to town centre.
Rotherham 14 miles
Barnsley 16 miles
Scunthorpe 27 miles.
York City 40 miles
Lincoln City 42 miles
Bradford City 42 miles
Huddersfield 47 miles

IMO it is simply no contest is it. Choice of Rotherham or Barnsley
Other than Scunthorpe we have played them more often and Scunthorpe is not in Yorkshire and is twice the distance.

As we are have been in a lower leagues to both Sheffield clubs and Leeds apart from a few seasons I am discounting them as major rivals.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 18, 2018, 12:32:01 am by Campsall rover »
Hull 50 miles, past rivals but not in the same bracket as the top 3 on the list. I really enjoyed our visits to Hull City. Great atmosphere.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2018, 12:34:13 am by Padge_DRFC »
Barnsley and Rotherham wouldn’t say we were there’s. they’d say the 2 Sheffield clubs but neither of them care about them.
Sad thing is we live in a much bigger, better town and more populated town, but Barnsley and Rotherham have more fans and been more successful than us over the last 20 odd years I’ve been watching Rovers

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 18, 2018, 12:52:34 am by Bentley Bullet »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again because it is inarguably true. Both our closest rivals, Rotherham and Barnsley, are towns that have got absolutely nothing going for them in comparison other than bragging rights over their football team. That is why they consider themselves too good to be our rivals, even when they are not.

Watching their local footy team is like friggin in the rigging....... There is f**k all else to do.

Sad, but true.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 18, 2018, 12:53:45 am by Campsall rover »
Barnsley and Rotherham wouldn’t say we were there’s. they’d say the 2 Sheffield clubs but neither of them care about them.
Sad thing is we live in a much bigger, better town and more populated town, but Barnsley and Rotherham have more fans and been more successful than us over the last 20 odd years I’ve been watching Rovers
Rotherham have not been more successful Padge in the last 15 seasons. We have. FACT
They were in the 80’s and 90’s but other than that they have not.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 18, 2018, 01:11:27 am by RoversAlias »
It's Rotherham for me, always believed that and I've barely seen us play them having been a supporter for only two decades.

KiwiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 18, 2018, 08:41:07 am by KiwiRover »
My era was the late 80's through 90's. I can only remember  a handful of games against Rotherham, but there is no question in my heart or mind that they are our rivals.

Scunthorpe after that.

Then Leeds for me, but that's a fairly recent thing.

Got nothing against Barnsley really.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 18, 2018, 08:59:47 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Rotherham no doubt. Horrible club, populated by web toed, 12 fingered inbreds living in a cesspit of a town. I take huge delight from beating them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 18, 2018, 09:20:29 am by Campsall rover »
Rotherham no doubt. Horrible club, populated by web toed, 12 fingered inbreds living in a cesspit of a town. I take huge delight from beating them.
Those sort of comments quite frankly are not called for. How can we complain about Rotherham fans giving us verbal ...... if some of ours are as bad.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 18, 2018, 09:50:33 am by Donny Exile in York »
Me and a mate were thinking probably back in the early 90s after suffering so many derby defeats to Rotherscum about how football songs or the like generate and we were thinking how apt To be a Pilgrim is to Plymouth then decided to tweak it as follows....

Who would true valour see,
Let him come hither,
One here will constant be,
Come wind, come weather.
There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent
To win at Rotherham....

I have only ever seen us win at Rotherham once in 1985. I hope I am able to sing this in a drunkern haze somewhere next Saturday. This is the true 'Cusack' derby.. there is no other like it for us Donny fans!

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 18, 2018, 10:21:09 am by Donny Exile in York »
And it's a shame we didn't get to play then a few times when they were on their uppers in their temporary Sheffield home..

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 18, 2018, 12:48:46 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Sorry Campsall, it’s only a bit of fun isn’t it? Remember that? Anyway, I’ll be sure to run anything I post by you first in future. I wouldn’t want to suffer the wrath of your pomposity again.

Those sort of comments quite frankly are not called for. How can we complain about Rotherham fans giving us verbal ...... if some of ours are as bad.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 18, 2018, 01:43:17 pm by Campsall rover »
Sorry Campsall, it’s only a bit of fun isn’t it? Remember that? Anyway, I’ll be sure to run anything I post by you first in future. I wouldn’t want to suffer the wrath of your pomposity again.

I am not being pompous. I am just saying it’s no good moaning about insults being made about Doncaster Rovers or the town by a tiny minority, if you return it with the same about them.
All your doing is coming down to the same level as them. Ignore them, lets do our talking on the field of play and then we can hear a deafening silence from down the A630/M18

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 18, 2018, 01:43:35 pm by glosterred »
Our biggest rival has got to be the team we play next, so Rotherscum next Saturday and then Bury the week after.

COYR

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 18, 2018, 01:55:01 pm by The Beast »
For me at Edenthorpe it's Scunny geographically. I don't really hate, Scunny Rotherham or Barnsley particularly.
Hate Leeds with a passion, can't abide Mansfield and always makes me smile when Wendys lose!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 18, 2018, 03:14:12 pm by RedJ »
Our biggest rival has got to be the team we play next, so Rotherscum next Saturday and then Bury the week after.

COYR

What a load of shite this is. We don't have a rivalry with every team we play. By that logic, Arsenal were at one point our biggest rivals.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 18, 2018, 03:37:41 pm by glosterred »

COYR

What a load of shite this is. We don't have a rivalry with every team we play. By that logic, Arsenal were at one point our biggest rivals.
[/quote
#

You can only play one team at a time, therefore the game you are playing next has to be the biggest rivalry, next week its Rotherscum followed by Bury. What the other local team are doing or who the other local teams are playing doesn't matter one jot if the Rovers are not playing them, therefore my logic is that the team you play next is your biggest rivalry because there is nothing the Rovers can do to influence those game

COYR

Not shite at all, if the thread title was who was our biggest local rival then it would be the likes of Rotherham or Barnsley but its not so our biggest rivals has to be the next team we play.

COYR

TinyPortal © 2005-2012