Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rivalry with Rotherham  (Read 1802 times)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
Rivalry with Rotherham
« on February 18, 2018, 12:35:46 am by JonWallsend »
I've done a bit of research into our respective recent derby game histories, in light of some of their fan's comments on Radio Sheffield that it means more to us than them, their big club mentality and we are not really considered rivals as its more about Sheffield Wednesday for the Millers and also with a nod towards the thread about who do you consider our biggest rival.

Worth prefacing it with in my opinion this is the game that matters most, having grown up in Rotherham, and were I to base my findings over more years, the results would be very different

However, I have used our Conference promotion as a starting point.

Since we returned to the league 15 seasons ago we have competed in 43 South Yorkshire derbies in comparison with Rotherham's 21. We have played the two Sheffield teams (The ones they perceive as their natural rivals) 20 times in comparison to their 12. Thus if anyone should be up for the novelty factor of a derby game, it's them not us.

The most played out fixture in that time has been Sheffield United and Barnsley at 20 with us v Barnsley in second having played each other 18 times ( All league fixtures, no cup games inc)

In this time period, we have been in the same league for 3 seasons, (the present one included)in a higher division for 7 seasons and a lower one for 5 seasons. Both teams have had 5 Championship campaigns

In terms of attendances, 9 years out of the 14 completed seasons we have had a higher average league attendance.  Infact, just short of 600,000 more spectators have watched our home games in comparison, which is a substantial figure given our relatively equal fan bases, although this is understandable given they played at Attercliffe running track for 4 years and spent 6 seasons in the basement in comparison to our 2 seasons.
 What it does suggest is that big games and crowds are not such a rarity for Doncaster and certainly not a factor that will intimidate us or have us all with sleepless nights, in anticipation of the big occasion.

All that said, if you are a Miller and don't think this is a big game. I can only conclude you are under 10 and think you have always been above us, under 20 and don't really get the concept of a South Yorkshire derby or just in general don't understand the significance of two teams from similar sized industrial towns, that share a geographical boundary, locking horns for the first time ever at your new ground.

And if you don't get that...you don't really get football.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Rivalry with Rotherham
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2018, 12:46:23 am by Campsall rover »
Well that just goes to prove what a small minded set of numpties SOME of their supporters are.
I have always maintained we are a bigger club than them.
Let’s see who will be the more successful in the next 10 years as well.
I can give you that answer now and it isn’t Rotherham.
Great summary that. Good stuff.
Talking about stuff I hope we give them one great stuffing next Saturday.
I will love it if we win, love it.  :clapping:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2018, 01:09:05 am by RoversAlias »
These Rotherham fans must be deluded. We are primary rivals, and if they think Wednesday are bigger rivals I feel sorry for them. All clubs can only have one true arch rival and we all know Wednesday's isn't Rotherham bloody United, it's Sheffield.

They celebrated that equaliser at the Keepmoat like they'd just won the Champions League, so we'll see how irrelevant we are when we go there next week.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2018, 01:19:31 am by Campsall rover »
These Rotherham fans must be deluded. We are primary rivals, and if they think Wednesday are bigger rivals I feel sorry for them. All clubs can only have one true arch rival and we all know Wednesday's isn't Rotherham bloody United, it's Sheffield.

They celebrated that equaliser at the Keepmoat like they'd just won the Champions League, so we'll see how irrelevant we are when we go there next week.
It’s only a few numpties on Radio Sheffield and on social media. Most of there supporters know full well we are along with Barnsley their biggest rivals. Anybody who thinks the Sheffield clubs are their biggest rivals are quite frankly deluded. :facepalm:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2018, 08:48:23 am by RedJ »
Bit weird how they sold out a 4300 away end for a game against a team they didn't give a f**k about, eh?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2018, 08:59:55 am by Campsall rover »
Bit weird how they sold out a 4300 away end for a game against a team they didn't give a f**k about, eh?
Yes Red J I agree a bit strange.
But as I just said it’s only a few numpties on the radio and social media. We don’t here from many do we the ones that know full well these two fixtures are the biggest for each club this season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2018, 09:06:36 am by IDM »
It's always nice to get one over our local rivals, but it's the same 3 points on offer as we won yesterday..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012