Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:20:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Would anyone like to take a guess  (Read 4259 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Would anyone like to take a guess
« Reply #30 on February 18, 2018, 04:00:25 pm by GazLaz »
It’s generally around 60mins.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 18, 2018, 04:15:40 pm by ian1980 »
65mins

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 18, 2018, 04:22:01 pm by Prez »
I think its low, gonna go 50 min 33 secs.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 18, 2018, 04:39:31 pm by Jimmydee »
68.59    That’s the nearest that I can get to a 69 :rolleyes:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 18, 2018, 05:18:05 pm by drfchound »
66 minutes 18 seconds.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 18, 2018, 05:42:47 pm by essexrover »
48 mins 44 secs.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 18, 2018, 05:54:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Come on then NNK!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 18, 2018, 05:57:24 pm by Campsall rover »
Come on then NNK!
[/quote
Put us out of our misery. The suspense is well !!!

darren61

« Reply #38 on February 18, 2018, 06:13:42 pm by darren61 »
51mins 21sec

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 18, 2018, 06:20:43 pm by DRNaith »
63 mins 23 secs

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 18, 2018, 06:46:22 pm by Not Now Kato »
A few close ones, but Draytonian was closest.

1st half we saw 23 minutes 9 seconds of actual play.  2nd half we saw 23 minutes and 26 seconds - (timings include play in extra time both halves).

So in total, 46 minutes and 35 seconds - just over half a game.  I agree with Wolfie, time for off the field timekeeping.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 18, 2018, 06:55:12 pm by Copps is Magic »
I think the game was a bad example to take. Two lower league teams (one very bad, the other average at best) lumping it left, right and centre. I presume you've included throw-ins and goal kicks in your out of play time? It gets ambiguous there doesn't it because although the ball is not 'in-play' players are still moving strategically. I generally agree though, the time taken for throw-ins is a complete piss-take at times.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 18, 2018, 07:16:09 pm by rich1471 »
Most game the ball is only in play no more than 55 minutes , it's just when you are watching you pay very little attention to how long the ball is out of play

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 18, 2018, 07:25:37 pm by Campsall rover »
A few close ones, but Draytonian was closest.

1st half we saw 23 minutes 9 seconds of actual play.  2nd half we saw 23 minutes and 26 seconds - (timings include play in extra time both halves).

So in total, 46 minutes and 35 seconds - just over half a game.  I agree with Wolfie, time for off the field timekeeping.
That surprised me. Shocking.  Clock needed as in Rugby. We are being cheated.
Ridiculous needs sorting.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 18, 2018, 10:18:18 pm by selby »
   People would only complain about being late for tea, not being able to pick the wife up from the shops before they close, and missing the pub on midweek games.
  And what time would we get home from cup games with extra time and penalties, and away games.
  And believe you me, the Walsall game was too long as it was, and the highlights for us was when the ball was out of play.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 18, 2018, 10:21:49 pm by Campsall rover »
   People would only complain about being late for tea, not being able to pick the wife up from the shops before they close, and missing the pub on midweek games.
  And what time would we get home from cup games with extra time and penalties, and away games.
  And believe you me, the Walsall game was too long as it was, and the highlights for us was when the ball was out of play.
Definitely agree with that last sentence Brian.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 18, 2018, 11:07:28 pm by Not Now Kato »
I think the game was a bad example to take. Two lower league teams (one very bad, the other average at best) lumping it left, right and centre. I presume you've included throw-ins and goal kicks in your out of play time? It gets ambiguous there doesn't it because although the ball is not 'in-play' players are still moving strategically. I generally agree though, the time taken for throw-ins is a complete piss-take at times.

It may possibly have been a bad example, though 'bad' in which direction is questionable.  We've all seen games where a player picks up the ball to take a throw in, then drops it at the feet of a colleague to pick up - just to waste a few more seconds, didn't see any of that in yesterday's game so maybe we got more playing time than usual.

Then there's the bit where the ball goes out for a goal kick and there's a player from the side awarded the goal kick right next to where the ball goes out, (often near the corner), does he pass the ball to the keeper to take the goal kick?  Only if it's late in the game and that side is losing, no it's normal for that player to trot up the pitch and leave the keeper to go all the way to the corner to collect the ball!   Happens every game, happened yesterday.  And Rovers are just as bad as the opposition.

Kicking the ball a bit further away when a free kick or throw in is awarded?  Again, happens every game, and it's plain cheating - both in terms of the game and in terms of what supporters are paying for - 90 minutes of football.  Oh, and of course, not retreating 10 yards and waiting while the Ref paces out his 8, 9 or 10 paces then slowly shuffling back to just get behind his line of foam - more time wated.  Funny, players in both codes of rugby seem to know how far 10 yards is yet footballers don't seem to have a clue - well that, or they're deliberately cheating.

And as for standing in front of the ball to stop an opponent taking a quick free kick.....................

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 18, 2018, 11:13:58 pm by Superspy »
Personally I'd be all for reducing the length of a half and making it a clock stop game. It would eliminate the cheating element of time wasting. If players want to slow things down to have a breather or let their team reset their positions etc then let them get on with it, at least the winning team would have no way of gaining an advantage and the losing team would have nothing to complain about beyond the obvious points about stopping momentum etc. But then I'm also in favour of sin bins, rolling subs, etc. Maybe I'm just trying to turn football into ice hockey with bigger goals, grass and no sticks.  :s :pinch: :silly:

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 18, 2018, 11:19:34 pm by Not Now Kato »

People can always leave early if the wife, tea or the pub are more important  ;-)  And fortunately I missed the torture that was Walsall  :-)

But on a serious note, I'm not advocating stopping the clock for every single incident, rather putting a time limit on such things as goal kicks, throw in's and free kicks; and if those time limits are exceeded then that is what is added on at the end, (plus any actual injury time of course).  I suspect, based on similar rules in other sports, the players themselves will speed things up and give us more game action time without over extending the game time significantly - they'll probably want to pick up the wife, get home for tea or make last orders, for their fresh orange juice, of course  ;-)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 18, 2018, 11:32:54 pm by RoversAlias »
People say we're being cheated out of playing time, but I'd love to know how much has been the average in-play time through the years (and I do mean going back decades). Maybe it's always been near enough like this. Probably impossible to tell but an interesting thought.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 19, 2018, 01:10:20 am by andysly »
I wonder how much of that 46/47 minutes the ball was in the air. Never seen so much head tennis.

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 19, 2018, 06:11:09 am by Crowle Rover »

65mins 32seconds

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 19, 2018, 06:22:50 am by Donnywolf »
Personally I'd be all for reducing the length of a half and making it a clock stop game. It would eliminate the cheating element of time wasting. If players want to slow things down to have a breather or let their team reset their positions etc then let them get on with it, at least the winning team would have no way of gaining an advantage and the losing team would have nothing to complain about beyond the obvious points about stopping momentum etc. But then I'm also in favour of sin bins, rolling subs, etc. Maybe I'm just trying to turn football into ice hockey with bigger goals, grass and no sticks.  :s :pinch: :silly:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3832119/football-lawmakers-considering-60-minute-matches-more-game-time/

Under review by the "Lawmakers". Maybe we should start a Clock to time them reaching a decision (I am thinking of Goal Line Technology and how lomg that took)

In the past I have banged on on here about 3 things and at least introducing 2 of them would help.

Stopping the clock immediately a Goal is awarded and only restarting it when Play restarts

Stopping the Clock each time a Substitution was being made -restartin it when the change is complete

Those 2 would need "rule changes" but my third would not

We should stop giving the Ball back to Teams when one of their Players "feigns" injury at any time and they have to kick the ball out (usually used to time waste) to get him treatment. Simply tell the Ref and Opponents and their Fans of our decision and I am sure they would say ok - but we wil do the same.

It would then snowball through the Game in general and be less of a problem. It was an admirable gesture of sportsmanship back when it was first done but it has now outlived its usefulness

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 19, 2018, 09:22:55 am by Superspy »
Yeah I was under the impression it's something they were already looking at but I think they've been recording the amount of time the ball is in play for years so I'm not particularly hopeful of anything changing any time soon.

I'm not sure how simple it would be to bring in your 3rd change unless you do it for every injury - as it's not always easy to determine what is serious vs what is time wasting...however...making the game a clock-stop style would remove this too, as pretending you're injured and your team putting the ball out intentionally wouldn't gain you anything.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012