Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:47:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who would swap with Rochdale?  (Read 3061 times)

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
Who would swap with Rochdale?
« on February 18, 2018, 06:37:02 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Purely as a straw poll which of us would swap places with Rochdale.
A trip to Wembley, lots of money and the exposure etc.
On the flip side you have to take their league position ( bottom).
Let's see if we go for short termism or the " hopefully" longer term view. Ps superb performance by them and good luck to them.
Simple response Rochdale or Donny please.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

covdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Who would swap with Rochdale?
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2018, 06:45:32 pm by covdrfc »
Definitely our position. Relegation would be a disaster

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2018, 07:18:57 pm by rich1471 »
Why would anybody swap at this moment in time , there fixture congestion is getting worse can see them one week playing 4 games

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2018, 07:19:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Donny.

all that exposure and money is completely undone by going down, look at Wigan they won the thing and got relegated twice.

the way to do it is how Lincoln did last year just breed a great feeling around the club by winning in the league and cup and they topped it off with promotion

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2018, 07:22:29 pm by Campsall rover »
As we are all day long.
I would take winning the FA cup and relegation though.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2018, 07:56:47 pm by Lincoln Rover »
The FA cup winners and relegation...no ta.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2018, 08:03:04 pm by NickDRFC »
Donny.

all that exposure and money is completely undone by going down, look at Wigan they won the thing and got relegated twice.

the way to do it is how Lincoln did last year just breed a great feeling around the club by winning in the league and cup and they topped it off with promotion

Not sure Wigan is a great example. They were inevitably going to be relegated at some point (and getting relegated again happens), but the glory of winning the FA Cup surely outweighs the disappointment of relegation. Do you think Wigan fans would trade their cup win with, say, Stoke and season upon season of lower mid table fodder?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2018, 08:03:30 pm by NickDRFC »

Could be on my own but I’d take that in a heartbeat.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 18, 2018, 08:08:33 pm by Campsall rover »
So you wouldn’t take the one chance of a lifetime of winning the FA Cup.
To me the FA Cup is still the greatest Cup Competition in the World. Promotion can be always achieved after relegation, but getting to Wembley and winning the FA Cup is likely to be a once in 150 year chance for a club of our size.
That day in May 2008 was magical, can you imagine what it would be like in a Cup Final.
Yours Lincoln Rover surprises me.
Any other viewes?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2018, 08:18:17 pm by RedJ »

Me too.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 18, 2018, 08:30:05 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Donny.

Not sure Wigan is a great example. They were inevitably going to be relegated at some point (and getting relegated again happens), but the glory of winning the FA Cup surely outweighs the disappointment of relegation. Do you think Wigan fans would trade their cup win with, say, Stoke and season upon season of lower mid table fodder?

yeah Wigan is an extreme example but you get the gist all the positives of a good cup run are undone by relegation.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2018, 08:52:07 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Campsall.
Winning the cup final would be unreal, but bring back to L2 would mean a new manager, starting again and realistically the end of Copps, so I'll pass if you don't mind.
I'm generally more in favour of taking the long term view, rather than the short one. However I accept other people's views.
On the flip side Jamie may have wanted to bow out at Wembley.
I'm proud of our 100 per cent record at Wembley and the Millenium. How many other teams can claim that?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 18, 2018, 08:57:34 pm by IDM »
Winning the fa cup would trump relegation.

Possibly getting a spanking away at a team still in the champions league, in a 5th round replay, would not...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 18, 2018, 09:00:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Me too.

And me. In fact I’d take winning the League Cup and relegation.

Relegation is a fact of life from time to time for a club like us. It happens. You go backwards. You bounce back.

Winning a major national cup final might never happen for a club like us. If that possibility ever arose, it would trump everything else.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 18, 2018, 10:07:53 pm by selby »
  The sad fact is that we have been mugged by Rochdale twice in cups this season, costing us a lot of money and our season being curtailed in the form of what we could achieve this season.
  When the Cheka Trade goes to knock out we should field a full strength side. And even in the F.A. cup we made three changes to the team that had beaten them in the league days before, although Whiteman was unfortunate being at Sheffield United.
  Would I change places no, the answer was to beat them and take the glory as well as do well in the league. We must be one of the worst cup teams in the country, we have only got to the 5th round of the cup two or three times in our history, and then only when we set off in the 3rd round  being a 2nd tier side.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2018, 10:08:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Winning the fa cup would trump relegation.

Possibly getting a spanking away at a team still in the champions league, in a 5th round replay, would not...
I would agree with that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 18, 2018, 10:10:42 pm by Campsall rover »
Campsall.
Winning the cup final would be unreal, but bring back to L2 would mean a new manager, starting again and realistically the end of Copps, so I'll pass if you don't mind.
I'm generally more in favour of taking the long term view, rather than the short one. However I accept other people's views.
On the flip side Jamie may have wanted to bow out at Wembley.
I'm proud of our 100 per cent record at Wembley and the Millenium. How many other teams can claim that?
Yes that’s your view, I don’t have a problem with it just surprised that’s all.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 18, 2018, 10:19:12 pm by Campsall rover »

Me too.

And me. In fact I’d take winning the League Cup and relegation.

Relegation is a fact of life from time to time for a club like us. It happens. You go backwards. You bounce back.

Winning a major national cup final might never happen for a club like us. If that possibility ever arose, it would trump everything else.
That’s how I feel BST but we are only dreaming aren’t we. Probably never get to a semi final.
But you never know one year we will have a serious FA cup run surely.
Best is last 16 5th round in 1956 i believe. 3 times in 1950’s.
3 times in the 1950’s

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 18, 2018, 11:27:34 pm by Not Now Kato »
I wouldn't swap places with them, but they're certainly going to make a good deal of money out of their cup run.  And, given the way they play football and the number of games they have in hand, I suspect they have a good chance of avoiding relegation too, though only just.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2018, 08:20:40 am by IDM »
But it is also too late for Rochdale to spend any of the cup money on players now..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2018, 08:22:34 am by drfchound »
I wouldn’t write them off as relegated just yet either.
I know that they won’t win all their games in hand but a good run would put pressure on the teams above them and there are always teams who go into free fall.
It is too simplistic to say that they are as good as relegated.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2018, 09:09:10 am by dickos1 »
They need double the points they have now from ten games less and with a ridiculous schedule.
I think they're definitely down

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2018, 09:23:09 am by The Red Baron »
They need double the points they have now from ten games less and with a ridiculous schedule.
I think they're definitely down

Difficult I agree but teams have survived from a worse position and if you get on a winning run a lot of games in a short time can be a bonus.

It all depends on whether the result (and what happens in the replay) gives them a lift or they experience a hangover.

After we had that League Cup run in 05-06 we had a poor spell of League results which arguably cost us a play off place. Rochdale have little margin for error and can't afford a hangover.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2018, 11:33:23 am by idler »
The point is as the pressure mounts they are more likely to pick up cards and will also have less time to get over knocks. Seven days gives time to get over minor knocks but three games a week for a month will kill them in my opinion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012