Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:22:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Rotherham game  (Read 12620 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Rotherham game
« on February 19, 2018, 08:31:06 am by selby »
  The surprise team of the season to me, in the home game early in the season they looked the complete one dimension team, booting the ball up field to a big fella, aggressive, fit, and big units throughout the team, much like Plymouth, who have also done remarkably well when I thought they were nailed on to struggle to stay in this division.
  When Rochdale are in relegation trouble playing decent football it shows there are a number of ways to win matches.
   Both  defences are  organised in defence, and have big units who are very dangerous at set pieces,
and wide men who provide an outlet, and get the ball  across goal for strikers to attack. 
    In our game at the K.M. we were the best side, and they were aided by a referee who shut his eyes when hands met ball in the box, and tackles from behind.
   I genuinely thought they would struggle playing their brand of football, and after relegation last season were in danger of going down again.
   They have certainly proved me wrong, and are on a fantastic run of results, and have just outplayed Shrewsbury, who gave us the run around in the first half a couple of weeks ago.
 David Ball up front has given us trouble in the past, and Newell has played well when I have seen him play. Ajayi and Wood are solid defenders, and we will have to play well against a well drilled 4 4 2 formation.
   Would you go with the same team?
   Are you going to the game?
   How do you see it playing out as a game?
   Are we capable of resisting a physical challenge?
   Can we upset the odds and bring their unbeaten run to an end?
     Please feel free to discuss?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Rotherham game
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2018, 08:39:47 am by 5minstogo »
I think barring injuries we must start with the same team.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2018, 08:40:20 am by The Red Baron »
I don't really see how you can change that starting XI unless there are any injuries. Given that Rotherham play 4-4-2 it would probably be best to try and match them up. If we do go for three CBs then Baudry is a must. Though I would start 4-4-2 and change during the game if needed.

The win on Saturday was much needed as I wouldn't like to be meeting confident opponents on the back of a defeat or home draw.

Local derbies can be odd things and I think we are capable of nicking something if we defend well.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2018, 08:45:42 am by drfchound »
Morning selby, I am not sure you are right when you say we were the better team the last time we played them, unless of course you mean purely from a keep it on the floor footballing perspective.
I agree that their agricultural long ball approach wasn’t pretty but in reality the game could have been over by half time had they taken their chances.
I am going to the New York on Saturday to see the return match and I reckon we will manage a draw.
I think that Rotherham are unbeaten in a dozen games now so maybe it will be unlucky thirteen for them.
Hopefully DF will stick with the 4-4-2 that our current available players are more accustomed to and also to match up the opposition.
Same starting team if everyone is fit.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2018, 08:49:48 am by Campsall rover »
Why would we go to 3 centre backs. Please tell me what advantage that will give us? I can give 4/5 reasons for not playing it.
I genuinely think and HOPE he will now stick with a flat back 4.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2018, 08:56:12 am by mushRTID »
Dreading this.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2018, 08:58:01 am by Campsall rover »
Only change I would make is play Mason at right back and Garrett at left back. Leave out Alcock.
Mason was outstanding on the left against Fleetwood but they did not have a quick or trick right winger. Rotherham are a different kettle of fish altogether and a balance of having a left footer will help.
Having said that DF won’t do it because he seems to have a problem wit Garrett at the moment. Is it justified I don’t know. We’ve had the same with Mandeville haven’t we. Forgotten men. Reason???

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2018, 09:07:23 am by dickos1 »
Mandeville just hasn't performed, also we don't see them every day in training so don't know what their attitude etc is like on a daily basis.
Only advantage of 3-5-2 is having the extra man in the middle of the park enabling us to try and control the game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2018, 09:12:41 am by Filo »
Mandeville just hasn't performed, also we don't see them every day in training so don't know what their attitude etc is like on a daily basis.
Only advantage of 3-5-2 is having the extra man in the middle of the park enabling us to try and control the game.

Niether of the two new CB's have any pace, it would be a disaster playing 3 at the back, especially if they have quick tricky wingers, they'd effectivley push our wingbacks back and we'd lose the midfield battle

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2018, 09:29:25 am by Bezza »
We will be tested by Rotherham which we were not by Fleetwood, i hope we go at them because we will probably need 3 goals to beat them.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2018, 09:46:41 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
They appear to score a lot from crosses so we need to be aware of that.  The opportunity with them likely coming at us has to be on the break with Kiwomya.  Get the tactics right we have the players to win this game.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2018, 10:24:23 am by BigKeif »
We definitely need to start the same team on Saturday. Having defenders across the back line was vital and it was nice to see mason have a good game at left back after his recent struggles.

I think it’s important playing McCullough in DM again too as he made us strong on Saturday (not taking anything away from Houghton either as I just think he’s had a few bad games and needs a rest).

Kiwomya made a massive impact too and I was really impressed with him so hopefully he will keep fit and kick on.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2018, 11:01:29 am by RoversAlias »
Morning selby, I am not sure you are right when you say we were the better team the last time we played them, unless of course you mean purely from a keep it on the floor footballing perspective.
I agree that their agricultural long ball approach wasn’t pretty but in reality the game could have been over by half time had they taken their chances.
I am going to the New York on Saturday to see the return match and I reckon we will manage a draw.
I think that Rotherham are unbeaten in a dozen games now so maybe it will be unlucky thirteen for them.
Hopefully DF will stick with the 4-4-2 that our current available players are more accustomed to and also to match up the opposition.
Same starting team if everyone is fit.

Fully agree with all of this Hound.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2018, 11:13:35 am by selby »
  A good shout that Campsall, the audible groan from sections of the crowd when Alcock was being outpaced down the line in the first half was ominous.
  Having said that he did OK especially in the ariel battles, but as we saw after the Scunthorpe game,he has not put a run of good games together for a while, and has been prone to costly mistakes in a few of his games.
  That is the best Mason has played on the left, but Fleetwood did not exactly play wide that much, and were looking very short of confidence.
   Hound, the hand ball by Wood in the first half was blatant, as was the trip on Marquis in the second half, both should have been penalties, and we would have been out of sight.
   It will be a lot harder game on Saturday, with much better and in form wide players.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2018, 11:17:37 am by karldew »
NEWS | #DRFC have sold out their ticket allocation for Saturday's trip to South Yorkshire rivals Rotherham United in Sky Bet League One

bit.ly/2obmwcl

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 19, 2018, 11:21:18 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
We've now sold our allocation for Saturday.

Keep the team the same for me. If it's not broke, why change it. Don't think we really came out of 1st gear on Saturday but that was down to how poor Fleetwood were.

That team can play better. Quietly confident we can get a good result on Saturday!

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2018, 11:37:59 am by Avsuptem »
Keep the team the same for me. If it's not broke, why change it.

Kaizen principals would suggest that this is not the best approach.  The British car industry had the same attitude post war and that's why most of the world is now driving foreign built cars.

Rather than if it ain't broke don't fix it I would suggest that we should always be looking for ways to improve performance. Certainly any good management philosophy should find a way to deal with new challenges and I doubt Rotherham will be the patsies that Fleetwood turned out to be.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2018, 01:23:18 pm by Campsall rover »
It doesn’t work though does it. We don’t have the players to carry it through do we.
Before you say we have won playing that system, yes we have correct, but we have lost 4 times as many games in the last 28 months playing it.
Question Dickos because you insist on bringing up the wing back extra midfielder etc. Do you think our players prefer playing that system. All I want is a yes or no please. I don’t want any waffle, no political answer. Yes or no?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2018, 01:24:38 pm by Campsall rover »

Niether of the two new CB's have any pace, it would be a disaster playing 3 at the back, especially if they have quick tricky wingers, they'd effectivley push our wingbacks back and we'd lose the midfield battle
Thankyou Filo.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2018, 02:29:14 pm by the vicar »
Looking forward to it, we tough game but we can win this and have the bragging rights

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2018, 03:28:06 pm by Friendly Miller »
  The surprise team of the season to me, in the home game early in the season they looked the complete one dimension team, booting the ball up field to a big fella, aggressive, fit, and big units throughout the team, much like Plymouth, who have also done remarkably well when I thought they were nailed on to struggle to stay in this division.
  When Rochdale are in relegation trouble playing decent football it shows there are a number of ways to win matches.
   Both  defences are  organised in defence, and have big units who are very dangerous at set pieces,
and wide men who provide an outlet, and get the ball  across goal for strikers to attack. 
    In our game at the K.M. we were the best side, and they were aided by a referee who shut his eyes when hands met ball in the box, and tackles from behind.
   I genuinely thought they would struggle playing their brand of football, and after relegation last season were in danger of going down again.
   They have certainly proved me wrong, and are on a fantastic run of results, and have just outplayed Shrewsbury, who gave us the run around in the first half a couple of weeks ago.
 David Ball up front has given us trouble in the past, and Newell has played well when I have seen him play. Ajayi and Wood are solid defenders, and we will have to play well against a well drilled 4 4 2 formation.
   Would you go with the same team?
   Are you going to the game?
   How do you see it playing out as a game?
   Are we capable of resisting a physical challenge?
   Can we upset the odds and bring their unbeaten run to an end?
     Please feel free to discuss?

You're not wrong Selby. At the time played at the KM I thought we were in a relegation scrap.

When lost Moore firstly for 3 games whilst he was suspended and then for good when he was recalled by Ipswich I thought we were doomed

But we changed our formation to suit, so rather than as you say hoofing it to Moore, we started to play a more passing game building from the back and using the full backs to get down the wings and we've come on
Leaps and bounds.

One of those strange situations where a club loses their best player but the team on the whole improve 4 fold.

Not sure what to expect from Doncaster on Saturday, I've heard you're iffy from set pieces, especially ones that are played into the 6 yard box.  So hopefully Warne will have his players working on that.

Let's hope we'll firstly we win and secondly it goes off without incident. 

Enjoy your day Saturday but not too much ;-)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2018, 03:56:11 pm by dickos1 »
It doesn’t work though does it. We don’t have the players to carry it through do we.
Before you say we have won playing that system, yes we have correct, but we have lost 4 times as many games in the last 28 months playing it.
Question Dickos because you insist on bringing up the wing back extra midfielder etc. Do you think our players prefer playing that system. All I want is a yes or no please. I don’t want any waffle, no political answer. Yes or no?

Calm down you wally, you'll do yourself some damage.
I guarantee some player will prefer playing this system, centre midfielders will, baudry will,

Where's the evidence we've lost 4 times more games playing the system.

It seems to me you're all for letting people have their opinion as long as its you they're letting.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2018, 03:57:01 pm by elmsallrover »
Keep the same side as Saturday and we will get hammerd don't forget we played a very poor side in Fleetwood

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2018, 05:17:42 pm by Campsall rover »

I guarantee some player will prefer playing this system, centre midfielders will, baudry will,

It seems to me you're all for letting people have their opinion as long as its you they're letting.
What are you on about. You didn’t answer the question Yes or No. it’s a simple question.
As for losing 4 times as many games playing that system. We played it in about 35 of them in 2015/16 and lost rather a lot. Got relegated. Last season most games probably the same no, we played 4 at the back and if memory serves me right we won a lot. Think we were promoted.
Facts are Facts. You can argue all you like.
Don’t call me Wally. You are being disrespectful ok. I don’t call you names do i.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 19, 2018, 05:20:09 pm by drfchound »
It is disrespectful but do as you said you were going to do.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 19, 2018, 05:21:56 pm by Campsall rover »
It is disrespectful but do as you said you were going to do.
He keeps drawing me in and I keep biting. Will I ever learn.  :facepalm:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 19, 2018, 06:12:03 pm by dickos1 »

What are you on about. You didn’t answer the question Yes or No. it’s a simple question.
As for losing 4 times as many games playing that system. We played it in about 35 of them in 2015/16 and lost rather a lot. Got relegated. Last season most games probably the same no, we played 4 at the back and if memory serves me right we won a lot. Think we were promoted.
Facts are Facts. You can argue all you like.
Don’t call me Wally. You are being disrespectful ok. I don’t call you names do i.

I answered your question!
If you think all players prefer the same system then you're wrong.
As I said central midfielders will prefer 3-5-2 and footballing centre halves such as baudry will too.

No way on this earth did we play 35 games with 3 centre halves when we got relegated nowhere near.

Facts are facts 😂😂😂
You're stating facts by saying if memory serves you right and we played it in about 35 games.

Not really facts then

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 19, 2018, 06:20:59 pm by rich1471 »
playing Luke in the defensive holding midfield role really helped and he won most header which is something we have struggled with all season, he protected the back four as he is stronger than Houghton   

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 19, 2018, 06:32:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I would keep the same side although the only poss change I might make would be Baudry for Boyle. That said, Baudry has yet to play since his return.

Mason, did well at left back yet again. It may be too big an ask for Garett to step in in such an atmosphere.

I can see Marquis. Kiwomya, Rowe and Copps giving Richard Wood and Co a hard time.

Whatever team starts, we'll have a strong bench so there's no excuse for not giving it everything!

We've nowt to lose although Rotherham are rightful favourites. It should be a cracker!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 19, 2018, 06:38:17 pm by Jonathan »
I would keep the same team. We’ve just won 3-0 so it’d be daft to make changes on the back of that.

I’m a big Houghton fan but he’s had a dip in form and McCullough has the shirt on merit. It’s all part of the learning curve for young players. Houghton and Whiteman will get their chances again and come back stronger for it. But for now we keep the same side - same logic as above applies with Lawlor.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012