Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:55:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: rovers badge ?  (Read 6603 times)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
rovers badge ?
« on February 19, 2018, 04:55:28 pm by Herman Hessian »
what's the general feeling about the badge ?

ok and does the job, time for a bit of an update, or start from scratch with something completely different ?

i'd probably keep the thing in it's general form, but ditch the DRFC and go back to having the name in full (well - just Doncaster Rovers as it used to be, anyway), and make the top band of the shield red with white lettering so that it reflected the hoops

maybe do away with the wings on the helmet too, as not only is the viking heritage of the town a bit sketchy (and nowhere near as long-lasting as it's roman or anglo-saxon influences) but it's generally considered to have been very unlikely that any viking helmets other than hugely ornate burial hats actually had wings (or horns, for that matter); and the cape - what's all that about - get rid altogether, alter it, replace it ?

no point to any of this whatsoever - just something else to think about in the run-up to handing out a hiding to barry and paul's mates  ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: rovers badge ?
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2018, 05:02:49 pm by RoversAlias »
I would be fine with a complete re-design myself but only if it was still going to look unique, as that's the best thing about our badge. None of this circular rubbish with the lettering in the outer band (see the generic new Brentford badge). If I was designing it myself the only things I'd definitely make sure are incorporated are the club's initials and a representation of the hoops in the club's red and white colours.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2018, 05:06:05 pm by Prez »
Wouldn't change a thing. Still one of the best football crests throughout the leagues.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2018, 05:06:55 pm by gillinghamrover »
Leave it as is. Wouldn’t want anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2018, 05:20:54 pm by Filo »
Leave it as it is, all us with tatoos of the badge would look daft if the badge was changed

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2018, 05:24:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I wouldn't want anything that wasn't viking related.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2018, 05:36:27 pm by roversdude »
Yeah what Filo says

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2018, 06:33:48 pm by podrover73 »
Leave it as it is. Remember what happened to Leeds and their gaviscon badge debacle

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2018, 06:59:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No, I'd leave it alone. As said, I think it's one of the best, not just in football. It's distinctive and bright.

MEGA1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2018, 07:03:23 pm by MEGA1879 »
Never liked it!! Doesn't even say who we are, just DRFC  .It should have Doncaster Rovers fc under it at least!!! But we should be using the Town crest like we used years ago👍

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2018, 07:15:52 pm by rover-n-out »
Change it, what for????, we'd probably end up with something like that bloody stupid owl on Wensdeh's shirt!!, they made s right b****x of that.  Leave the bloody thing alone. Jeez!!

darren61

« Reply #11 on February 19, 2018, 07:22:15 pm by darren61 »
leave our Viking alone.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2018, 07:26:08 pm by Branton Rover »
Keep it as it is - remember Andy Liney patented the design to protect it from The dark forces of Richardson. After a misunderstanding with JR we ended up with the Thundercat logo. It’s not broke - don’t fix it

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2018, 07:38:01 pm by German Rover »
Keep it as it is - remember Andy Liney patented the design to protect it from The dark forces of Richardson. After a misunderstanding with JR we ended up with the Thundercat logo. It’s not broke - don’t fix it

What happened with the fall out anyway?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2018, 07:46:48 pm by the vicar »
Leave it alone

MEGA1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 19, 2018, 07:49:17 pm by MEGA1879 »
What has a viking got to do with Doncaster Rovers -(Nothing ) We represent the Town so we should use the town crest!!!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:56:16 pm by MEGA1879 »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2018, 07:51:38 pm by the vicar »
It is a Viking town before the Doncaster crest before that it was a Roman town

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2018, 07:59:49 pm by Filo »
What has a viking got to do with Doncaster Rovers -(Nothing ) We represent the Town so we should use the town crest!!!!

Their first emblem was the town’s old coat of arms, granted in 1927, when Doncaster became a county borough. The debt, which many English towns owed to the royal or baronial stronghold beside which they sprang up and grew in size and prosperity, is reflected by the popularity of the castle in civic heraldry. It is, therefore, that a castellated gateway features in the shield, together with a Saxon crown. The crown is especially appropriate, inasmuch, during the reign of Edward the Confessor, Doncaster, and then part of the Manor of Hexthorp, belonged to Earl Tostig. In Henry I’s time it passed into royal hands. The royal lions, each holding in its mouth a white rose of York, support the shield. The lion also appears in the crest, holding a banner with the same castellated gateway, charged with the word Don, with the wavy lines representing the same river.
In the late Sixties the local council denied Doncaster Rovers the prolonged use of its civic icon. A competition was held and the best design selected was today’s badge, christened “the Viking”. It was designed by a group of local students and one may assume that the undaunted Scandinavian alludes to the “Rovers” suffix.

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/doncaster-rovers/

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2018, 08:21:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Change it, what for????, we'd probably end up with something like that bloody stupid owl on Wensdeh's shirt!!, they made s right b****x of that.  Leave the bloody thing alone. Jeez!!

Which one, the line one they had until recently or the old traditional one they've just reverted to?

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2018, 08:38:07 pm by roversontheup »
No, no, no. I like it besides we could probably buy a few players for what it would cost to rebrand everything. And then of course there is the other issue .......now in hell would we be able to agree on a new badge. WW3 just about erupts over the design of a new shirt that only lasts a season!!
 :chair:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2018, 08:57:46 pm by Donnywolf »
You are right ! We would never agree !

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2018, 09:04:48 pm by i_ateallthepies »
For a variety of reasons already covered on here, leave it as it is.  Personally though, I have never liked it.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2018, 09:10:07 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
A lot of football badges do feel quite similar (not that i pay that much attention to the detail of other clubs) but i like that ours is a bit different!

think as long as we get the size of it right on the shirts and other things its ok, i seem to remember a shirt where it was too big which made it feel weird..

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2018, 09:13:16 pm by Filo »
A lot of football badges do feel quite similar (not that i pay that much attention to the detail of other clubs) but i like that ours is a bit different!

think as long as we get the size of it right on the shirts and other things its ok, i seem to remember a shirt where it was too big which made it feel weird..

Lots of people who get a tat of the badge on their calf end up having it done too small and it looks crap, it needs to fill the whole calf. A bit opposite to your suggestion of getting the right size on the shirt 😀

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 19, 2018, 11:07:12 pm by Bessie Red »
In my opinion it's the best club badge in the whole Football League/Premier League and should never be changed!!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 20, 2018, 06:41:19 am by DRNaith »
Better to spend the money elsewhere

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2018, 08:20:48 am by GazLaz »
It doesn’t need to be changed.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2018, 08:21:50 am by phil old leake »
Best badge there is. Can’t be beaten.  Why change it

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 20, 2018, 08:49:04 am by wing commander »
I don't get this fascination with changing badges full stop..It's our badge,what we relate too,what kids have hanging on there bedroom wall and what other fans know means they are playing Doncaster Rovers..Should never be changed....

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 20, 2018, 09:06:12 am by idler »

Their first emblem was the town’s old coat of arms, granted in 1927, when Doncaster became a county borough. The debt, which many English towns owed to the royal or baronial stronghold beside which they sprang up and grew in size and prosperity, is reflected by the popularity of the castle in civic heraldry. It is, therefore, that a castellated gateway features in the shield, together with a Saxon crown. The crown is especially appropriate, inasmuch, during the reign of Edward the Confessor, Doncaster, and then part of the Manor of Hexthorp, belonged to Earl Tostig. In Henry I’s time it passed into royal hands. The royal lions, each holding in its mouth a white rose of York, support the shield. The lion also appears in the crest, holding a banner with the same castellated gateway, charged with the word Don, with the wavy lines representing the same river.
In the late Sixties the local council denied Doncaster Rovers the prolonged use of its civic icon. A competition was held and the best design selected was today’s badge, christened “the Viking”. It was designed by a group of local students and one may assume that the undaunted Scandinavian alludes to the “Rovers” suffix.

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/doncaster-rovers/

It didn't end well for Earl Tostig Filo though.
I thought that according to Maurice Setters it was a mate of his in Coventry an artist or student that designed the badge at his request. That would make it about 1971/72 or 1972/73 I think. Didn't we have at least a season with no badge?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012