Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:05:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: rovers badge ?  (Read 6599 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: rovers badge ?
« Reply #30 on February 20, 2018, 09:51:20 am by ravenrover »
Didn't we have a pirate at one time before the viking?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 20, 2018, 11:17:17 am by DMnumber4 »
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be averse to changing the badge for a 'heritage' edition shirt e.g. an anniversary or whatever but the Viking is so established I think it stays (although I thought it was left over from a previous sponsorship deal and never removed?).

Three things remain from OBV:
The badge
The hoops
James Coppinger

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 20, 2018, 11:17:51 am by idler »
It was never really on a club badge but I remember that as a nickname 50s/60s. The "Green Un" always had a little drawing at the side of the league clubs report. A crooked spire for Chesterfield, windmill for Rotherham and ours was a pirate.l

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 20, 2018, 12:36:44 pm by RobTheRover »
BTW, Leeds open their second "consultation" tomorrow on their new badge.  Should be fun......

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 20, 2018, 01:58:40 pm by IDM »
Leeds new badge.. no contest IMHO  ;)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 20, 2018, 02:45:38 pm by Copps is Magic »
What has a viking got to do with Doncaster Rovers -(Nothing ) We represent the Town so we should use the town crest!!!!

Their first emblem was the town’s old coat of arms, granted in 1927, when Doncaster became a county borough. The debt, which many English towns owed to the royal or baronial stronghold beside which they sprang up and grew in size and prosperity, is reflected by the popularity of the castle in civic heraldry. It is, therefore, that a castellated gateway features in the shield, together with a Saxon crown. The crown is especially appropriate, inasmuch, during the reign of Edward the Confessor, Doncaster, and then part of the Manor of Hexthorp, belonged to Earl Tostig. In Henry I’s time it passed into royal hands. The royal lions, each holding in its mouth a white rose of York, support the shield. The lion also appears in the crest, holding a banner with the same castellated gateway, charged with the word Don, with the wavy lines representing the same river.
In the late Sixties the local council denied Doncaster Rovers the prolonged use of its civic icon. A competition was held and the best design selected was today’s badge, christened “the Viking”. It was designed by a group of local students and one may assume that the undaunted Scandinavian alludes to the “Rovers” suffix.

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/doncaster-rovers/

So basically the town's crest was created from a hodge podge history of aristocracy, wealth and imperialistic delight, and ultimately doesn't have much to do with Doncaster. Whereas the viking logo was created on the backs of the creative work of some local people.

Even more reason not to change it.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 20, 2018, 03:31:59 pm by Axholme Lion »
I think the Rovers logo is one of the best around. Why would you want to change it?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 20, 2018, 03:43:27 pm by Donnywolf »
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be averse to changing the badge for a 'heritage' edition shirt e.g. an anniversary or whatever but the Viking is so established I think it stays (although I thought it was left over from a previous sponsorship deal and never removed?).

Three things remain from OBV:
The badge
The hoops
James Coppinger

Maybe the Doncaster Rovers Nameplate somewhere from OBV as well but I suspect that will now be a replica

On the Sponsorship was it Rover Cars or something connected to it ? I think their "logo" was a Viking Longship - maybe still is !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 20, 2018, 03:45:55 pm by Donnywolf »
Here it is I hope

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 20, 2018, 04:31:59 pm by Herman Hessian »
i've heard that the original concept was a combination of two different car badges - morris and rover:

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 20, 2018, 04:36:25 pm by Herman Hessian »
better pic of the viking...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 20, 2018, 05:26:20 pm by The Red Baron »
Did Carl Swan model his tache on that Viking?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 20, 2018, 05:40:13 pm by IDM »
Did Carl Swan model his tache on that Viking?

'twas the other way round wasn't it??

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 20, 2018, 06:08:02 pm by The Red Baron »
I don't think so. The badge was around from the mid-70s. Carl Swan played for us in the early 80s.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 20, 2018, 06:41:49 pm by IDM »
I know, it was tongue in cheek...

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 20, 2018, 06:58:04 pm by Donnywolf »
 Yeah - Rover and out

:coat:

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 20, 2018, 10:51:10 pm by Donnyjim »
Keep I say. The sole purpose of Maurice Setters changing the badge was so that they would all get free cars from Rover lol. An inauspicious history behind it but an amusing one. Perhaps do a hooped one? Our best days have been in hoops. Any one want to have a go at a hooped Viking badge.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 21, 2018, 01:07:20 am by RoversAlias »
There's an idea, some of our graphic wizards who mock up nice shirts every season should have a go at concept badges, just for fun and a bit of discussion on the forum that doesn't revolve around where Tommy Rowe's best position is.

KiwiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 21, 2018, 01:29:00 am by KiwiRover »
Is it left back?
  :whistle:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 21, 2018, 07:56:00 am by IDM »
Does the badge need a diamond on it? :chair:

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 21, 2018, 09:43:05 am by bradford exile »
Why would you change one of the most noted icons in football.

where ever you are and people see the shirt and badge it's instantly recognisable.

They don't ask who you support........they already know.......first thing they say is....Donny fan EH!!

I'll bet fans of other clubs would love a badge that is as notable as ours IMHO

Regards

Ray

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 21, 2018, 11:00:48 am by acacia94 »
This stuff has been my job for 30+ years. Would normally be telling a client to change things but I wouldn't do much to the Rovers logo. You might do a bit of a clean up redraw and make it a bit more multi platform friendly but that's it. Don't fundamentally change a thing (see the Leeds story for how to f*ck it right up). Apparently the Viking connection is fairly random but it did get nicked from the Rover car co logo and reinterpreted for our footy club.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 21, 2018, 11:20:02 am by Herman Hessian »
This stuff has been my job for 30+ years. Would normally be telling a client to change things but I wouldn't do much to the Rovers logo. You might do a bit of a clean up redraw and make it a bit more multi platform friendly but that's it. Don't fundamentally change a thing (see the Leeds story for how to f*ck it right up). Apparently the Viking connection is fairly random but it did get nicked from the Rover car co logo and reinterpreted for our footy club.

but - but...brand storytelling - localisation - minimising discontiguity - and the imperative to be a bleeding edge graphic illustration of core competencies ?

£30k sound about right - just do away with the initials and tart up the hat a bit - oh, and maybe a rainbow for an unambiguous assertion of non-binary inclusivity - can't be too careful, right ?

;)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 21, 2018, 11:21:05 am by The Red Baron »

When I started watching Rovers I had a rosette  (remember them?) with a kid dressed as a pirate on it. Apparently they had been produced at the time we played the American side Dallas Tornadoes. This was I think a fairly short lived initiative aimed at young fans. I still have the pirate somewhere as I made it into a badge after the rosette fell apart.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 21, 2018, 02:59:37 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
...... That would make it about 1971/72 or 1972/73 I think. Didn't we have at least a season with no badge?

From google images, it seems we had no badge from 1970-75. Though http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Doncaster_Rovers/Doncaster_Rovers.htm shows us without a badge for 6 months in late 1970, and then none again from 72-73 till the 75-76 season.

Before that there seem to be a couple of seasons with a badge in the 1960s but going back, we've not had a badge on the kit for most of our history.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 21, 2018, 03:26:41 pm by Herman Hessian »

When I started watching Rovers I had a rosette  (remember them?) with a kid dressed as a pirate on it. Apparently they had been produced at the time we played the American side Dallas Tornadoes. This was I think a fairly short lived initiative aimed at young fans. I still have the pirate somewhere as I made it into a badge after the rosette fell apart.

as mentioned elsewhere, it was definitely an identity used for Rovers in the media - I've got a Portsmouth local paper previewing our 1952 FA Cup match, and there's a pirate alongside their own "jolly jack tar" character...

not much good going down that route now, though, what with brizzle having cornered the whole pirate market, but it was definitely a thing before the viking got shoehorned in on the act...

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 21, 2018, 04:15:49 pm by Dagenham Rover »

as mentioned elsewhere, it was definitely an identity used for Rovers in the media - I've got a Portsmouth local paper previewing our 1952 FA Cup match, and there's a pirate alongside their own "jolly jack tar" character...

not much good going down that route now, though, what with brizzle having cornered the whole pirate market, but it was definitely a thing before the viking got shoehorned in on the act...
Seem to remember the pirate had a red and white checked  sort of knotted hanky on his head

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 21, 2018, 04:24:17 pm by wesisback »
There's an idea, some of our graphic wizards who mock up nice shirts every season should have a go at concept badges, just for fun and a bit of discussion on the forum that doesn't revolve around where Tommy Rowe's best position is.
I'm sure Louis Tomlinson and Grandad Len will be working on it as we speak.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on February 21, 2018, 04:55:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
...... That would make it about 1971/72 or 1972/73 I think. Didn't we have at least a season with no badge?

From google images, it seems we had no badge from 1970-75. Though http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Doncaster_Rovers/Doncaster_Rovers.htm shows us without a badge for 6 months in late 1970, and then none again from 72-73 till the 75-76 season.

Before that there seem to be a couple of seasons with a badge in the 1960s but going back, we've not had a badge on the kit for most of our history.

Rothmans Football yearbooks for those years show the old town crest badge.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on February 21, 2018, 10:36:18 pm by acacia94 »
Now stop it Herman.... You could of course give the branding design to a printer to knock out and I'm sure do it remarkably cheaply.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012