Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:25:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budgets  (Read 5280 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Budgets
« on February 19, 2018, 09:59:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
Fergie was talking about the recent draws against some decent sides post-match Saturday. He said Charlton had a budget 'six or seven times bigger' than his.

A little bit of context. #drfc

Quote from journo in Free Press. Really does make you think about what we're up against, trying to get back to the Championship. Money doesn't guarantee anything, but there is no wonder we are where we are!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:00:04 am by Alan Southstand »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Budgets
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2018, 10:08:36 pm by Campsall rover »
Fergie was talking about the recent draws against some decent sides post-match Saturday. He said Charlton had a budget 'six or seven times bigger' than his.

Quote from journo in Free Press. Really does make you think about what we're up against, trying to get back to the Championship. Monet doesn't guarantee anything, but there is no wonder we are where we are!
Just shows budgets are not the be all and end all then. On that basis Charlton are under achieving and should just about be already promoted and Shrewsbury should be in the bottom 6

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2018, 10:11:06 pm by drfchound »

Quote from journo in Free Press. Really does make you think about what we're up against, trying to get back to the Championship. Monet doesn't guarantee anything, but there is no wonder we are where we are!

Monet is probably painting a different picture then Alan.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2018, 10:28:45 pm by albie »
Sorry Fellas, but for that to be true Charlton would be massively in breach of the League One Salary Cost Management Protocol.

They do not benefit from parachute money, so the hated owners would need to be putting in a fortune in loans converted to equity to make it possible.

I can't really believe this unless some proof is available.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2018, 11:56:42 pm by Akinfenwa »
According to the Swiss Ramble tweets posted on this forum, in 2015/16 Wigan spent £11.9m on wages, the highest in League 1 (slightly higher than Sheff Utd). Only possible presumably due to PL parachute payments.

Rovers apparently spent £4.1m on wages in that same season. Not all clubs' data is available, but I'd expect that to be about average for this division.

Even if Rovers' wage bill has reduced since then, to say £3m, which I doubt, Charlton would still have to be shelling out £18 - 21m on wages for Fergie's claim to be true.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 20, 2018, 12:56:02 am by since-1969 »
What would we do with £18m . We barley spent half that much in the last 5 years never mind in one. There should be an automatic cap on wages and transfer fees , if football has a future .

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 20, 2018, 01:07:50 am by RoversAlias »
Clearly Fergie was exaggerating, but his point holds true that some clubs in this league - Charlton, Wigan, Blackburn especially - have vastly superior budgets to Rovers making the task all the more difficult.

Even if two of those sides go up this year the problem will remain when they are replaced by Birmingham, Hull or Sunderland as looks likely at the moment.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 20, 2018, 07:53:31 am by Campsall rover »
What would we do with £18m . We barley spent half that much in the last 5 years never mind in one. There should be an automatic cap on wages and transfer fees , if football has a future .
I would think we will have spent around 18- 20 million over the last 5 years.
So how is that barely half?
You have got a real downer on our owners haven’t you. As I keep saying be careful what you wish for.
Do you want a well run club which is financially sound and will still here in 5/10/20 + years time,
or do you want boom and bust. Charlton Athletic along with many other clubs are not financially sound. I know which I prefer.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 20, 2018, 08:08:10 am by Alan Southstand »
Campsall, I suggest you check your comments on Shrewsbury. They were second to Bury in their summer dealings and have since added to their squad in January. They are definately going for it this season.

As for proof, Alfie, you're never going to get that, as no-one really knows our own figures.

It's funny, isn't it, this is the first real indicator we've had from anyone senior at the Club and straight away, people are jumping on the comments and questioning whether they're true or not!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 20, 2018, 08:18:04 am by vaya »
Campsall, I suggest you check your comments on Shrewsbury. They were second to Bury in their summer dealings and have since added to their squad in January. They are definately going for it this season.

As for proof, Alfie, you're never going to get that, as no-one really knows our own figures.

It's funny, isn't it, this is the first real indicator we've had from anyone senior at the Club and straight away, people are jumping on the comments and questioning whether they're true or not!

Do you think Charlton have a budget of £18m - £21m Alan? - could you identify where this has been spent?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 20, 2018, 08:21:35 am by Campsall rover »

Dealings and budgets are different though. They brought in a few yes.
The bookies had them favourites to finish bottom before the season started.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 20, 2018, 08:26:44 am by GazLaz »
Charlton have made a lot of money from selling players, they are entitled to spend what they want to get promoted.

We can only spend what the owners are willing to allow us. Like it or not we don’t have a choice, until someone else potentially buys the club.

How do things stand after Dick Watson’s death? I presumed him and TB went halves on covering any shortfall. Will TB have to cover it all on his own now or are the Watson family still going to put money in?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 20, 2018, 10:06:03 am by The Red Baron »
Isn't part of our business plan now that we develop players who we will then sell on?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 20, 2018, 12:35:43 pm by drfchound »
Isn't part of our business plan now that we develop players who we will then sell on?

I believe that is the case but we don’t bring many through to our own first team.
Maybe another Alick Jeffrey will come along one day.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 20, 2018, 12:42:10 pm by Alan Southstand »
Vaya, I can't even tell you what our spend is, never mind Charlton! I don't give a damn about what Charlton do or don't pay out.

Don't ask me the questions, ask someone at the Club.

Or, 'don't shoot the messenger' as the saying goes.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 20, 2018, 12:48:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Charlton have made a lot of money from selling players, they are entitled to spend what they want to get promoted.

We can only spend what the owners are willing to allow us. Like it or not we don’t have a choice, until someone else potentially buys the club.

How do things stand after Dick Watson’s death? I presumed him and TB went halves on covering any shortfall. Will TB have to cover it all on his own now or are the Watson family still going to put money in?
Gazlaz do you not think a plan will have been put in place to cover such an eventuality.
Our owners are not the Trotters from Peekham. Give them some credit. Andy Watson Dick’s son is on the board isn’t he.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 20, 2018, 01:18:41 pm by vaya »
Vaya, I can't even tell you what our spend is, never mind Charlton! I don't give a damn about what Charlton do or don't pay out.

Don't ask me the questions, ask someone at the Club.

Or, 'don't shoot the messenger' as the saying goes.

So what you're saying is you've no idea what Charlton's budget is, what our budget is, but we are where we are in terms of league position as a result of the respective budgets. Although you don't know what they are.

Think that's cleared that up.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 20, 2018, 01:21:32 pm by Campsall rover »
That’s Peckham of course. Don’t know where Peekham is.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 20, 2018, 02:30:31 pm by Alan Southstand »
Vaya, read what the quoted statement says and that
should
clear things up! Either that, or seek out and clearly state on here what the situation is, rather than insinuate I don't know what I'm talking about. It is my opinion what I think about the statement and clearly, you don't seem to have one!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 20, 2018, 02:54:11 pm by vaya »
Vaya, read what the quoted statement says and that
should
clear things up! Either that, or seek out and clearly state on here what the situation is, rather than insinuate I don't know what I'm talking about. It is my opinion what I think about the statement and clearly, you don't seem to have one!

Alan, with the greatest of respect, you've initially said " there's no wonder we are where we are" in the context of the size of Charlton's budget, then gone on to say you've no idea what out budget is, or what Charlton's is.

You're more than entitled to your opinion, but it seems a little confusing for people when by your own admission you've formed it without knowing either of the parameters involved.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 20, 2018, 05:00:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Have you read the quote?

If so, it should be perfectly clear to you and anyone else who might be remotely interested, how I have formed my opinion.

If it isn't perfectly clear, then I would suggest that it's you who has the problem. Whatever our budget is, Charlton's is reputed to be 6 or 7 times bigger. How clear does it need to be?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 20, 2018, 05:22:40 pm by albie »
The accounts are due with Companies House by the end of March, so we will then see the overall staff costs for the last financial year.

Staff costs include the players, but also other employees. The budget that DF is referring to is presumably the amount he has to spend on the playing resources.

I think some are forgetting that the playing budget needs to be seen in the context of the profit and loss position of the club overall.

For example, if Charlton spent £14m on staff costs in 2016, but that was matched by a £13.5m operating loss, then the road to the poor house opens up.

The Charlton owners are trying to sell the club at the moment. Loading it up with debt beforehand does not seem very sensible to me.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 20, 2018, 05:31:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I believe that is the case but we don’t bring many through to our own first team.

Not much chance or that with EPPP. The first sniff of potential he'd be gone to a PL club for about £20K.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 20, 2018, 05:35:31 pm by Filo »

Not much chance or that with EPPP. The first sniff of potential he'd be gone to a PL club for about £20K.

It's a lot less than £20k for a club like ours with a lower rank academy

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 20, 2018, 06:51:35 pm by drfchound »

Which is why it will be difficult for our club to develop and sell young promising players.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 20, 2018, 07:01:50 pm by bedale rover »

We would probably water it down

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2018, 07:55:05 pm by acko »
THE BUDGETT SHOULD BE AN INDICATION OF THE BOARDS AMBITION FOR THE SEASON TO COME.THE MANAGER SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN WHAT HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEAM FOREWARD.THE TROUBLE ROVERS HAVE NOW IS THERE IS NO FOOTBALL MAN ON THE BOARD WHO CAN HAVE SERIOUS SAY TO WHAT IS NEEDED.ITS NO SECRET THAT I HAVE NEVER LTKED THE OWNERSHIP AND SOME OF THEIR IDEAS.THE TEAM SEEM TO TAKE SECOND PLACE IN THEIR THOUGHTS WHAT DO THEY WANT A TEAM THAT COULD BE LOOKING AT AT LEAST A CHALLENGE FOR A PLAY OFF PLACE OR A TEAM LOOKING OVER THEIR  SOULDERS AT RELEGATION PLACRS 

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2018, 08:01:10 pm by IDM »
Acko you are talking absolute rubbish.. we are in better shape off the field and who do you think gave the go ahead to sign Whiteman and the two emergency defenders?

Oh and by now you should know “netiquette”..

If you don’t, then google it!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:10:17 pm by IDM »

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 20, 2018, 08:16:29 pm by vaya »
THE BUDGETT SHOULD BE AN INDICATION OF THE BOARDS AMBITION FOR THE SEASON TO COME.THE MANAGER SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN WHAT HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEAM FOREWARD.THE TROUBLE ROVERS HAVE NOW IS THERE IS NO FOOTBALL MAN ON THE BOARD WHO CAN HAVE SERIOUS SAY TO WHAT IS NEEDED.ITS NO SECRET THAT I HAVE NEVER LTKED THE OWNERSHIP AND SOME OF THEIR IDEAS.THE TEAM SEEM TO TAKE SECOND PLACE IN THEIR THOUGHTS WHAT DO THEY WANT A TEAM THAT COULD BE LOOKING AT AT LEAST A CHALLENGE FOR A PLAY OFF PLACE OR A TEAM LOOKING OVER THEIR  SOULDERS AT RELEGATION PLACRS 

How are things looking at Hull Acko?

ARE THEY OKAY?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 20, 2018, 08:39:01 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Didn’t Charlton sell a player for £11m? Not surprising they have more money but with the exception of around six clubs I would expect our budget to be as competitive as the rest. At the end of the day however it’s how the budget is spent and whether the manager can get the best out of the players.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012