Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:20:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budgets  (Read 5281 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Budgets
« Reply #30 on February 20, 2018, 09:57:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Didn’t Charlton sell a player for £11m? Not surprising they have more money but with the exception of around six clubs I would expect our budget to be as competitive as the rest. At the end of the day however it’s how the budget is spent and whether the manager can get the best out of the players.

Lookman to Everton. £7.5M rising to £11M.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 20, 2018, 10:12:15 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Our budget is probably decent, in this league,  judging by size of our club compared to others. At the moment its just handicapped by some presumably high earners (Williams/Evina) who aren't really part of the plan.

Then theres also Lund and Etheridge who i know we got rid of but they still would take a cut of any budget up by paying wages and terminating contracts. Once all these players are off the books hopefully that money can add the extra quality to take us where we should be in the league!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 20, 2018, 10:30:51 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We have to be financially efficient although the players still on the books suggest it could be better. However, that didn't stand in the way of recent over and above acquisitions.

I shudder to think of the wastage at some other clubs as we're not used to trading at some of the levels we see, nor can we.

I'm still more comfortable with relative prudence as I think the fall out from failing to achieve with double or triple the budget would bring even less patience from the fans!

The formula remains the same at any level in terms of managing a club well, and putting together a team that performs consistently.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 21, 2018, 01:05:40 am by RoversAlias »
THE BUDGETT SHOULD BE AN INDICATION OF THE BOARDS AMBITION FOR THE SEASON TO COME.THE MANAGER SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN WHAT HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEAM FOREWARD.THE TROUBLE ROVERS HAVE NOW IS THERE IS NO FOOTBALL MAN ON THE BOARD WHO CAN HAVE SERIOUS SAY TO WHAT IS NEEDED.ITS NO SECRET THAT I HAVE NEVER LTKED THE OWNERSHIP AND SOME OF THEIR IDEAS.THE TEAM SEEM TO TAKE SECOND PLACE IN THEIR THOUGHTS WHAT DO THEY WANT A TEAM THAT COULD BE LOOKING AT AT LEAST A CHALLENGE FOR A PLAY OFF PLACE OR A TEAM LOOKING OVER THEIR  SOULDERS AT RELEGATION PLACRS 

Stop shouting please.

What are our owners if not 'football men'? Are most clubs owned by former players like, or are they owned by successful businessmen? Our ownership have been at the helm for over a decade in which time they have guided us to our best run in the league system since the 1950's. More importantly than that, they have kept us steady financially and we are now apparently in a better position on that front than we have been in a very long time. We are competing at the level a club our size should expect to be able to. What is the problem?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 21, 2018, 08:59:34 am by Campsall rover »
We have to be financially efficient although the players still on the books suggest it could be better. However, that didn't stand in the way of recent over and above acquisitions.

I shudder to think of the wastage at some other clubs as we're not used to trading at some of the levels we see, nor can we.

I'm still more comfortable with relative prudence as I think the fall out from failing to achieve with double or triple the budget would bring even less patience from the fans!

The formula remains the same at any level in terms of managing a club well, and putting together a team that performs consistently.
Absolutely bang on. Why can’t some others see it though?
Our business and playing model should be to follow clubs like Burnley and Preston.
Preston are a club I think is probably a club we can aspire to follow. Yes they have some great history but you have to go back to the 1950’s the last time they were in the top flight. Since then they have trawled all three divisions below. They are are a club that get gates of around 12,000 and are and have been holding there own for a number of years in the second tier. One season they may make the play offs AGAIN as they did it once or maybe twice. Their day in the sun may happen very soon.
No reason we cannot do what they have done. We are potentially as big a club as they are.
We just need to establish ourselves in the Championship again over a sustained period and our fan base will build. This season our ave gate is 8,000 for a bottom half 3rd tier club THATS GOOD.
Another 4000 no problem inc away fans season. Remember 2008/09 ave gate 11,940
Patience is needed. We can do it. BELIEVE. Rome was not built in a day.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 21, 2018, 09:01:08 am by Glyn_Wigley »
THE BUDGETT SHOULD BE AN INDICATION OF THE BOARDS AMBITION FOR THE SEASON TO COME.THE MANAGER SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN WHAT HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TEAM FOREWARD.THE TROUBLE ROVERS HAVE NOW IS THERE IS NO FOOTBALL MAN ON THE BOARD WHO CAN HAVE SERIOUS SAY TO WHAT IS NEEDED.ITS NO SECRET THAT I HAVE NEVER LTKED THE OWNERSHIP AND SOME OF THEIR IDEAS.THE TEAM SEEM TO TAKE SECOND PLACE IN THEIR THOUGHTS WHAT DO THEY WANT A TEAM THAT COULD BE LOOKING AT AT LEAST A CHALLENGE FOR A PLAY OFF PLACE OR A TEAM LOOKING OVER THEIR  SOULDERS AT RELEGATION PLACRS 

How do you describe a 'football man' that you'd like to make Rovers' business decisions? If we are to aim higher we need people running the club that know how to run a business to it's best potential, not play football. Perhaps you'd be happier if we let McIndoe loose with the DRFC credit card?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:03:58 am by Glyn_Wigley »

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 21, 2018, 09:29:40 am by swintonrover »

How do you describe a 'football man' that you'd like to make Rovers' business decisions? If we are to aim higher we need people running the club that know how to run a business to it's best potential, not play football. Perhaps you'd be happier if we let McIndoe loose with the DRFC credit card?

I'd say life long Rovers fans Andy Watson is as much a football man as any of us are.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 21, 2018, 11:14:17 am by acko »
 appologise for the cappital letter writing but it was done for me by a nurse in the hospital im in.But i stand by what was said and i thought this was a chat line so people can voice their oppinions.that does not seem to be the case,if an oppinion  is not what certain other people beleave you stand to be insulted.vaya thinks everybody should agree with him after all he knows everything.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 21, 2018, 11:37:48 am by vaya »
appologise for the cappital letter writing but it was done for me by a nurse in the hospital im in.But i stand by what was said and i thought this was a chat line so people can voice their oppinions.that does not seem to be the case,if an oppinion  is not what certain other people beleave you stand to be insulted.vaya thinks everybody should agree with him after all he knows everything.

How are things at Hull acko? - I'm interested in your opinion.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 21, 2018, 12:06:50 pm by RoversAlias »

Most replies are merely expressing the differing opinion in a respectful manner. I can't speak for Vaya but otherwise this has been a perfectly reasonable exchange of discourse so far.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 21, 2018, 12:31:31 pm by Pancho Regan »

Our business and playing model should be to follow clubs like Burnley and Preston.
Preston are a club I think is probably a club we can aspire to follow. Yes they have some great history but you have to go back to the 1950’s the last time they were in the top flight. Since then they have trawled all three divisions below. They are are a club that get gates of around 12,000 and are and have been holding there own for a number of years in the second tier. One season they may make the play offs AGAIN as they did it once or maybe twice. Their day in the sun may happen very soon.
No reason we cannot do what they have done. We are potentially as big a club as they are.
We just need to establish ourselves in the Championship again over a sustained period and our fan base will build. This season our ave gate is 8,000 for a bottom half 3rd tier club THATS GOOD.

I've often looked at Burnley as a club whose achievements we could emulate.
I've lived not far from Burnley for 30 years and know several of their fans and a bit about the town and its history.

It's not a big place; Donny has a much bigger population. And Burnley are a relatively small club but extremely well-managed.

If they can make it to the Premiership, not once but twice in recent years, then I hold onto the hope that we could achieve the same, or at least sustain a presence in the 2nd tier.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 21, 2018, 12:43:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I've lived not far from Burnley for 30 years and know several of their fans and a bit about the town and its history.

It's not a big place; Donny has a much bigger population. And Burnley are a relatively small club but extremely well-managed.

If they can make it to the Premiership, not once but twice in recent years, then I hold onto the hope that we could achieve the same, or at least sustain a presence in the 2nd tier.

Absolutely. If there was no chance football would die.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 21, 2018, 04:50:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

A nurse with spelling and punctuation just as appalling as yours? Even down to not putting a space after a full stop? That's an amazing coincidence.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 21, 2018, 05:42:39 pm by Campsall rover »

Pancho Reagan, I think Burnley are are one off to be honest. For a town of 80,000 people and a carchment of only 130,000 including Colne, Nelson, surrounding villages and Skipton in Yorkshire as I know a lot there support Burnley ( nearest league club ) They are a remarkable Club to keep getting into the top flight. Early 1960’s they were one of the best teams in the country with probably THE  best youth set up in the country.
I liken Rovers more to Preston due to population and catchment, although ours is still considerably more. 300.000 to preston’s of around 200,000
Type of history over the last 45/50 years. There’s is better but they have had bad times as well as good. Burnley I know came down to the 4th tier in early 80’s as well I know.
We have more potential than a lot of people realise I think. Doncaster is the largest town (MBC) that isn’t a City in the country.
Food for thought.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 21, 2018, 06:00:21 pm by idler »
A lot in the Halifax area support Burnley as well. In the 60s coached used to run from Bradford on a Saturday for fans wanting to watch a first division game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012