Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:47:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5449 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Hello
« on February 21, 2018, 01:07:26 am by scawsby steve »
 Hello                                                                                                          I've been a reader of this forum for several years, and have always declined to join in with the discussions, because the debate often becomes quite hostile. However, with this season so much in the balance, I now feel ready to contribute. I've supported the Rovers for 61 years, and have had the privilege and joy of watching Alick play at 17 years old, and Harry Gregg in goal, with the rest of Peter Doherty's fabulous team. I'm a good friend of both Hound and the Vicar, and they're both cracking lads. Hound, in particular, has good technical knowledge of the game, having been a part time professional. I can't wait for Rotherham on Saturday, although I don't know what to expect. Personally, I would go with the same team as last Saturday. I hope to see some of you on the train and at the match. Onwards and upwards.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bezza

• Forum Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on February 21, 2018, 09:46:36 am by Bezza »
Welcome Scawsby Steve, look forward to your views.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 21, 2018, 10:05:14 am by keith79 »
Welcome. Steve

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 21, 2018, 10:20:23 am by the vicar »
Hi Steve nice to see you on board enjoy

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 21, 2018, 10:28:44 am by Wiltshire Exile »
Been watching since 1957, eh, Steve? Five years after I started! First match v Notts. Forest; drew 1-1.

Welcome!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 21, 2018, 11:03:18 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Welcome Steve. All the best people are originally from scawsby....

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 21, 2018, 11:43:29 am by roversdude »
Welcome onboard Steve

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 21, 2018, 12:15:56 pm by RobTheRover »
Welcome Steve.

Sometimes the debate gets a bit lively, but you need to remember that if we put all these people in a room they would quite happily have a beer together and chat Rovers till the cows came home with big smiles on their faces. 

Enjoy the ride! (Sounds like you have been for a long time already!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 21, 2018, 01:31:53 pm by dknward2 »
Welcome agree with rob if we all met and had a proper sit down chat I’m sure even the most hostile of the minority on here would realise that we are all rovers till/til we/I die

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 21, 2018, 01:40:56 pm by rover-n-out »
Hostile my arse, worra load a' b***ox, I'll take the effin' lotta yer on wi' one arm tied be'ind me back, come on then yer mamby pamby's, whose up for a fate???   :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :evil: :evil: :welcome:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 21, 2018, 01:59:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Hostile my arse, worra load a' b***ox, I'll take the effin' lotta yer on wi' one arm tied be'ind me back, come on then yer mamby pamby's, whose up for a fate???   :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :evil: :evil: :welcome:

Mamby Pamby's? I am if you keep using my material!  :boxing:

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 21, 2018, 02:05:09 pm by Prez »
Welcome Steve, but just to warn you anything positive posted on this forum will not be tolerated  :chair:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 21, 2018, 06:24:13 pm by RedJ »
Welcome Steve, but just to warn you anything positive posted on this forum will not be tolerated  :chair:

:zzz:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 21, 2018, 06:30:26 pm by Filo »

Thats why that negative post is still here 😜

EpsTheMightyReds

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 21, 2018, 06:48:51 pm by EpsTheMightyReds »
Welcome Steve. All the best people are originally from scawsby....
Almost BFYP, I’d argue those originally from Cusworth are a notch up from Scawsby😊
You’re one of a few hundred others Steve who enjoy reading but rarely post, me being one of them

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 21, 2018, 11:15:57 pm by Drover »
Welcome steve  :welcome:

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 22, 2018, 07:51:43 am by Nudga »
Scawsby folk are like folk from Edlington , just with slightly better jobs and teeth.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 22, 2018, 09:08:35 am by idler »
Scawsby folk are like folk from Edlington , just with slightly better jobs and teeth.
Is that better teeth or just teeth?😉

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 22, 2018, 12:03:12 pm by graingrover »
Welcome Steve . I am very pleased to welcome someone who will remember the first Rovers team I supported . Gregg , Makepeace , Graham , Teasdale , Patterson , Brown , Mooney , Tindill , MxcMorran , Jeffrey , R Walker  .
     You will also have seen C Williams , Ray Harrison , A Adey , Kilkenny , et al . That was a fine era for the club was it not . I would have loved to have sat in on the recent interview wth Harry Gregg to hear his appreciation of Peter Doherty who put all those players together . 

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 22, 2018, 08:11:23 pm by scawsby steve »
Thanks for that, Graingrover. My first team was Gregg, Makepeace, Graham, Teasdale, Williams, Gavin, Mooney, Tindill, McMorran, Jeffrey, R. Walker[peg leg]. One of my first matches was the 5th round FA cup tie at home to Spurs, with 32,000 packed into Belle Vue. We lost 0-2, and have never reached that stage since.
                   The next season I became a regular, and saw us trounce Stoke 4-0, Huddersfield 4-0, Fulham 4-0, and West Ham 3-0. Happy days eh? The first defeat I saw was against Leicester, which we lost 0-2. The second goal was scored by the legendary Arthur Rowley, and they went on to win the title at a canter, whereas we dropped like a stone after Alick broke his leg. The next season we sold Harry Gregg, and ended up being relegated from the 2nd division to the 4th division in 2 seasons. Thus started a long dark era, with Hubert Bates being the tw*t he always was. That dark era continued until some light appeared at the end of the tunnel with George Raynor, although Bill Leivers had improved things considerably, and all the rest is history.
                          Do I think Fergie is the man to restore us back to the  second tier? I honestly don't know. I think we will have more of an idea after the next 3 games. I will be on the 2.03 train on Saturday, and will be absolutely buzzing. Fingers crossed.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 22, 2018, 09:40:34 pm by graingrover »
I am happy to have you around here Steve ! Peg leg Walker ( recently died) and Geoff and Jim Walker . Do you recall Bill Patterson being transfered to Newcastle ? I saw him play his first game at St James' against Busby babes and he had a roasting from Tommy Taylor . Shortly after we played the Maggies under floodlights in a friendly as part of the deal and we won handsomely . Patterson was the first of a sad series of transfers including Harry but also my favourite Bert Tindill who followed Peter Doherty to Bristol City after more than 400 games for us .
  I live abroad but will follow the game on Saturday live on I follow .. Enjoy !

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 22, 2018, 09:58:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Welcome Steve . I am very pleased to welcome someone who will remember the first Rovers team I supported . Gregg , Makepeace , Graham , Teasdale , Patterson , Brown , Mooney , Tindill , MxcMorran , Jeffrey , R Walker  .
     You will also have seen C Williams , Ray Harrison , A Adey , Kilkenny , et al . That was a fine era for the club was it not . I would have loved to have sat in on the recent interview wth Harry Gregg to hear his appreciation of Peter Doherty who put all those players together . 

Think on.

In 30 years time, there'll be someone wanders onto this forum saying: "The first team I saw was:
That fat bas**rd mate of Weaver's from Stockport, Lee Warren and nine wannabee gangsters from Manc wearing balaclavas"

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 23, 2018, 11:22:06 am by graingrover »
It'll be thee,BST( lol)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 23, 2018, 12:50:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Graing
I wish I was young enough to be able to say that was the first team I saw! My first one wasn’t a million miles off the side who played Liverpool in 74.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 25, 2018, 11:07:26 pm by the vicar »
Welcome agree with rob if we all met and had a proper sit down chat I’m sure even the most hostile of the minority on here would realise that we are all rovers till/til we/I die
so what is stopping us all meeting up for a chat and a drink then people might get a different view of every one then

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 26, 2018, 03:56:04 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm all for that, Dave, but I warn you, I drink Guiness, so if we're drinking in rounds, it'll hammer your pockets.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 28, 2018, 05:15:31 pm by the vicar »
Lol ok Steve

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 28, 2018, 05:38:20 pm by niteowler »
Graingrover. I think my dad took me to my first game about the same time as you. Thats when we used to play 2-3-5 and all of the 5 could score goals. No passing back to the goalie, no passing sideways, no subs (if you were inured you were stuck on the wing as someone would have to mark you ) and definately NO DIVING. Seen some great games in my time watching Rovers and i hope to see plenty more never mind how much the game changes. 

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 28, 2018, 05:57:34 pm by graingrover »
Niteowler .. and you will remember the phsio ( called the trainer in those days ) had a bucket of cold water , a sponge and smelling salts for all injuries !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 28, 2018, 06:00:15 pm by Donnywolf »
Niteowler .. and you will remember the phsio ( called the trainer in those days ) had a bucket of cold water , a sponge and smelling salts for all injuries !

.... and you had to get a Cobblers Last to nail your leather Studs into the Sole of your Boots and if you got one wrong it stuck in your foot for the whole game

Then after the game you had to clean and put Dubbin on your Boots

TinyPortal © 2005-2012