Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Women At The Game  (Read 4398 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Women At The Game
« on February 23, 2018, 03:15:31 pm by silent majority »
Doncaster Rovers will be holding their first WATG event when we play Bury at the Keepmoat on March 3rd. If you know women who would like to attend but have nobody to go with, or single parents who have young kids but don't know the ins and outs of attending games of football then this is an event for them. 

The details are here, its a tremendous offer;

https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/women-at-the-game/

There is a real sad back story to this and I won't bore you with the details, however there's a bit more information here for those interested;

https://womenatthegame.wordpress.com/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BerlinRed

• Forum Member
Re: Women At The Game
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2018, 03:18:25 pm by BerlinRed »
Good initiative  :scarf:

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2018, 04:35:32 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Excelent idea and value.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2018, 06:41:02 pm by IDM »
Sounds great value - question, is this for women only or can couples go?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2018, 08:54:14 pm by silent majority »
Sounds great value - question, is this for women only or can couples go?

Women only. The whole point of the exercise is to attract female spectators who wouldn't normally go, or know how to go.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2018, 08:59:13 pm by IDM »
Thanks SM..  I bring my other half with me from time to time - hope this is a success..

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 23, 2018, 10:20:20 pm by roversontheup »
This is a brilliant initiative to attract women to footie matches. I know it’s not a Rovers led initiative but congratulations Rovers for embracing it.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 23, 2018, 11:01:22 pm by wesisback »
A year ago I'd have cut in here saying I find it incredibly condescending that an idea to get more women to football would need to involve a three course sit down meal and champagne instead of being able to attend like the majority of us do.
However I'm devastated to say that I completely understand having listened to a female Rovers fan give examples of the experience they have while going to watch games.
I was naive enough to think that all males had moved on from behaviour akin to the Carry On films  and that it had been condemned to that era yet groping and generally acting like a specimen still occurs, particularly in our busier games.
The idea that anyone wanting to watch DRFC may be put off because of some scumbags inability to keep their hands to themselves dismayed me more than anything I've ever heard about our fans before. That they hold a fear of speaking out, even more so.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:43:14 am by wesisback »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2018, 12:55:45 am by Chris Black come back »
Come one, come all. No excuse for only men having to put up with what we have served up some weeks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:01:10 pm by Chris Black come back »

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2018, 09:41:17 am by Rovers Return »
Having grown up in a one parent family (only my mum) and never having a Dad to initiate days at at the footy or otherwise I whole heartedly give this initiative my backing. In an era where one parent families are the norm there must be thousands of kids who have to rely on Mum to bring them up. Football matches and how and when to attend could be a alien and frightening concept for them. Anything that helps is most welcome.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:43:51 am by Rovers Return »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2018, 10:49:02 am by idler »
A year ago I'd have cut in here saying I find it incredibly condescending that an idea to get more women to football would need to involve a three course sit down meal and champagne instead of being able to attend like the majority of us do.
However I'm devastated to say that I completely understand having listened to a female Rovers fan give examples of the experience they have while going to watch games.
I was naive enough to think that all males had moved on from behaviour akin to the Carry On films  and that it had been condemned to that era yet groping and generally acting like a specimen still occurs, particularly in our busier games.
The idea that anyone wanting to watch DRFC may be put off because of some scumbags inability to keep their hands to themselves dismayed me more than anything I've ever heard about our fans before. That they hold a fear of speaking out, even more so.

That is terrible Wes. I too thought that we had moved on from things like that years ago. I suppose as usual that it is a very small minority spoiling it as usual.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2018, 11:01:01 am by graingrover »
A heart warming initiative . We need to recognise that   boorish and often vulgar behaviour is still the norm in most stadiums and encourage more civil behaviour around football so that women and families can also enjoy the match day experience. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2018, 09:48:02 am by silent majority »
It is a pity that we have to have initiatives like this, but for all the reasons listed above by various people these ideas are welcome and should be embraced. Manchester City were so happy with their 1st WATG event they've just announced a 2nd one.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 25, 2018, 09:00:46 pm by Jenny »
I’m taking my baby girl to the game on Saturday as part of this initiative, there will be 4 generations of women in my family attending, I can’t wait.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 26, 2018, 12:35:40 am by johnny rovers »
When women go to the football they usually attend either with there male partners, with their kids or are in a large group that is predominately male. On Saturday our little group went to Sheffield early doors and whilst in Wetherspoons three young lasses who were probably in there early twenties were supporting villa who were playing at Wednesday. They ordered breakfasts and alcohol too.

I thought it was brilliant, women doing the typical away day rituals that you only associate with fella's.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2018, 08:46:40 am by Campsall rover »
When women go to the football they usually attend either with there male partners, with their kids or are in a large group that is predominately male. On Saturday our little group went to Sheffield early doors and whilst in Wetherspoons three young lasses who were probably in there early twenties were supporting villa who were playing at Wednesday. They ordered breakfasts and alcohol too.

I thought it was brilliant, women doing the typical away day rituals that you only associate with fella's.
Why is it brilliant ordering alcohol with breakfast. Sounds like the world has gone booze mad.
No wonder the NHS can’t cope. To me if you can’t enjoy going to football without drinking then there is something seriously wrong. Nothing wrong with a pint before a match I should add but why drink 3/4/5 etc you can’t possibly see what’s happening on the pitch and if you are somehow capable, you would be spending half of it stood at the urinals!!!

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 26, 2018, 12:23:44 pm by wesisback »
I bet you're a riot at parties.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 26, 2018, 12:29:41 pm by johnny rovers »

Why is it brilliant ordering alcohol with breakfast. Sounds like the world has gone booze mad.
No wonder the NHS can’t cope. To me if you can’t enjoy going to football without drinking then there is something seriously wrong. Nothing wrong with a pint before a match I should add but why drink 3/4/5 etc you can’t possibly see what’s happening on the pitch and if you are somehow capable, you would be spending half of it stood at the urinals!!!

WTF.....when I said it was brilliant I was mainly referring to women travelling to the football together!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 26, 2018, 12:51:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I know a few ladies who are into football more than their husbands/partners who don't get many chances to go to matches as they are lacking like minded friends or family who have the same passion.

Something like this might provide the opportunity to meet up and enjoy the match experience from a different perspective. My friends often refer to a girly day out. Why can't it be around football. Let's face it much of the enjoyment comes from the social aspect and some of em can drink me under the table! A pre-match cocktail or two might just hit the spot!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 26, 2018, 02:14:05 pm by Campsall rover »

WTF.....when I said it was brilliant I was mainly referring to women travelling to the football together!
Yes I know you did, but you mentioned drinking alcohol at breakfast and that is what I was referring to. Yes we want to see more women and families attending matches of course. Alcohol is the main reason for trouble at matches and that is the biggest factor which will stop them going.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 26, 2018, 03:28:36 pm by johnny rovers »
We got there at 09:30 and then those young women came in at approx 10:30. What's the harm in eating breakfast with an alcoholic drink!! Lord above for having a good day out with friends 🙄🙄

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 26, 2018, 03:38:42 pm by Filo »
We got there at 09:30 and then those young women came in at approx 10:30. What's the harm in eating breakfast with an alcoholic drink!! Lord above for having a good day out with friends 🙄🙄

If it were in airport departures, no one would bat an eyelid

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 26, 2018, 04:20:36 pm by The Red Baron »

So long as they didn't get trollied, I can't see the harm. Little to beat a full English washed down with a couple of pints of decent ale.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012