Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:46:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Gillingham game  (Read 5353 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Gillingham game
« on April 02, 2018, 12:25:02 pm by selby »
  Not what I expected to be doing today, the first of two important away games now including the M.K. Dons game, at places where we have not had much success, and could trip us up after showing improved form.
  And Gillingham being the last place away supporters want weather like this, in their ultra modern away seating area.
 M.K.Dons won there on Saturday, gillingham playing a 4 2 3 1 formation, but have only won 4 home games this season drawing 9 and losing 5.
    I was disappointed in our home game we didn't win, Gillingham getting what they came for, a draw, were big physical and used the tactical foul very well, and a game that reinforced my opinion that over the years the games between the two teams have usually been some of the most disinteresting games of the season, and very rarely are very entertaining.
   Their team reflects the area they come from, one that makes pit villages around here look like Cannes, and is dog rough.
  But we always struggle against them, so will have to show our new found resilience in this game.
  In Ehmer and Eaves they have two out of the top ten in the card count for this division both having 9 yellows and 1 red, so we can expect a hard game, although Eaves will want watching having scored 13 this season.
  What do you think?
   Can we get a result?
  With more rest days between matches, will we change the team?
   Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Gillingham game
« Reply #1 on April 02, 2018, 05:19:46 pm by selby »
   Let's hope that their poor form carries on to next weekend, and we can carry on and get 3 on the bounce.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 02, 2018, 05:25:49 pm by scawsby steve »
Brian, you can tell how p*ssed off I am with today's postponement, I couldn' t even be bothered trying to steal your thread title.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 02, 2018, 06:32:27 pm by selby »
  Steve, you can tell how bored I am writing it while other matches are going on. I was looking forward  to Wolfies Easter chocolates.
  That's why he went all the way to Scunthorpe, the heathens in Thorne don't sell them.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 02, 2018, 06:58:10 pm by Donnywolf »
They have all gone now ....... well I reckoned there would be a heatwave before we get to Play at home again - so I scoffed the lot just to be on the safe side !

Roll on a home game !

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 03, 2018, 12:20:58 am by gillinghamrover »
The majority of games this season when it’s pissed down away fans have been housed in the Gordon rd stand, having said that it’ll be Sod’s law we’ll be atop of the Brian Moore Temporary Scaffold Stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 03, 2018, 02:46:23 am by scawsby steve »
They have all gone now ....... well I reckoned there would be a heatwave before we get to Play at home again - so I scoffed the lot just to be on the safe side !

Roll on a home game !

I reckon we'll all be eating f*cking ice-cream by the time the next home game comes round.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 03, 2018, 12:32:00 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
There are definite signs of "green shoots" of recovery To Gillingham's  easy season form. They sold the family silver off during the summer and as I have said many times thought they were certs for relegation. Was totally amazed Steve Evans considered their managerial approach.

Just been checking if they could snatch relegation from the jaws of safety  66/1 chance . Even Theo Robinson scored against them - JM goes back to a place where he was a success on loan - will be interesting to see what reception he gets  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 03, 2018, 05:01:30 pm by selby »
  Take the packer macks guys, light rain and breezy forecast for Saturday.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 03, 2018, 05:07:40 pm by Lincoln Rover »
T shirt weather for us lads. In the meantime I'll bring a coat as you're always right Bri. See you there mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 03, 2018, 09:37:21 pm by selby »
  God I hate this, the Gillingham fans on their predictions are tipping us to WIN. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 04, 2018, 05:55:40 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Fingers crossed they're without captain Lee Martin. His sending off might be appealed, though looks like a violent challenge, straight red, to me.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 04, 2018, 05:57:47 pm by NickDRFC »
Fingers crossed they're without captain Lee Martin. His sending off might be appealed, though looks like a violent challenge, straight red, to me.

Lee Martin ex Millwall & Forest? Fingers crossed they appeal and he plays, he’s dreadful every time I see him play!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 04, 2018, 06:17:24 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Lee Martin ex Millwall & Forest? Fingers crossed they appeal and he plays, he’s dreadful every time I see him play!

That's him. I suppose another angle here is if he does play, he'll be very wary about getting any card, and his ex-team mate Marquis will needle him no end.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 04, 2018, 06:24:03 pm by Donnywolf »

Straight Red according to most of their Fans on some Forum I looked at ! Advising him / them not to bother !

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 04, 2018, 07:16:26 pm by scawsby steve »

Straight Red according to most of their Fans on some Forum I looked at ! Advising him / them not to bother !

They'd be dead right as well, Wolfie, as an appeal that is deemed as "frivolous", can result in a 4 match ban rather than a 3 match ban.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 04, 2018, 08:48:47 pm by karldew »
Is it possible to order a ticket and collect there? It's £9 before match day isn't it? And I can't get to the ticket office before Saturday..

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 04, 2018, 08:50:36 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Is it possible to order a ticket and collect there? It's £9 before match day isn't it? And I can't get to the ticket office before Saturday..

Phone the office, pay, and collect on the day. That's what I always do.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 04, 2018, 08:55:33 pm by RedJ »
Or buy online and have it sent to your house. I don't think it's too late to be posted.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 04, 2018, 08:57:27 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Save on the post... collect  :santa:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 04, 2018, 10:49:35 pm by RoversAlias »
Having seen the challenge back on the highlights there's no way they should bother appealing it was a definite straight red.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 06, 2018, 10:40:54 am by gillinghamrover »
Just got my tickets over the phone for collection at Gillingham. Bargain at £9 a pop, can’t see the correlation between £9( pre bought)and £22 ( on the day) though?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 06, 2018, 12:16:44 pm by Dare to dream! »
Fair play to Gillingham on the prices. How many have we sold?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 07, 2018, 11:01:29 pm by selby »
  Just over 400 away fans made it to the game, to be rewarded with a poor game  that in the end we could have and probably would have if the ball had gone to anybody but Alfie may in the Gillingham penalty area a couple of minutes from the end of the game, his usual stab at the ball of a first touch, resulting in him having to have another touch and the defender taking the ball off him being the best chance of the game.
   At the other end Marosi had virtually nothing to do shot wise, not making a save of any note at all, other than a couple of crosses that really did not trouble him, Wright and Baudry being well on top of the home forwards, and McCollough especially in the first half bossing the centre of the field with Rowe.
   The bobbly pitch, together with a quite strong breeze didn't help matters, plus the close marking of Marquis, resulted in some sloppy play in midfield, even Coppinger finding close control of the ball difficult.
   So not great entertainment, but if you don't win, don't lose, and another point gained to  mid table respectability, although it should have been all three.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 08, 2018, 11:36:42 am by ravenrover »
Didn't Marquis miss an open goal 1st half?, just going by reports

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 08, 2018, 12:47:14 pm by selby »
  Raven it was at the far end from us and I cannot remember that, or anyone commenting on it.
     The one by May was a sitter again.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 08, 2018, 08:18:55 pm by bobjimwilly »
remember to vote for your Rovers man of the match here --> https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=265777

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 09, 2018, 11:39:19 am by Bristol Red Rover »
  Raven it was at the far end from us and I cannot remember that, or anyone commenting on it.

Not good, but not much to see on the highlights, so I had a look at the reverse highlights from the 0-0 earlier in the season. Some "sitters" there from Blair, Marquis, Butler.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 10, 2018, 12:07:10 pm by ravenrover »
Wild guess but I take it the May sitter was right in front of you?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 10, 2018, 12:24:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
From what I saw of the highlights, I wouldn't class it as a sitter. You'd perhaps hope an in form striker would hit it first time but even then it was far from a certain goal. Once he took a touch the chance was gone but he's not in form, so not surprised he elected to take a touch.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012