Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:37:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The warm up  (Read 2739 times)

selby

• VSC Member
The warm up
« on April 08, 2018, 01:14:47 pm by selby »
  Three of my friends who I sit with at away matches, in their time were very good club runners  with Askern and ran the marathon in very decent times, and also played football to a decent level when younger at Scunthorpe and in the Yorkshire league.
    I am by no means any expert in the training of athletes at any level, but listening to their comments on our warm up and Coppinger especially found them interesting.
   They timed our warm up as 30 minutes of reasonably intense exercise, then commented  that Coppinger probably expended more energy in that warm up than 30 minutes of a game, and if he was match fit, trained all week, if he just did a lighter stretching and warming up he would last the game out with more energy that could be put to more use in a game.
    As I said I am no expert, but it made sense to me, and as I said they were very fit lads in their time.
    If Coppinger broke with tradition and just did a shorter warm up, would it benefit the team? Has the warm up got a bit out of hand, and would all the team benefit from being a little bit fresher with a shorter programme before kick off? Could it be that some players do leave something in the warm up before kick off, I admit it would not suit everyone, some will need the intensity, but they might have a point with some senior players who tran all week.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Brian Young

• Forum Member
Re: The warm up
« Reply #1 on April 08, 2018, 01:25:13 pm by Brian Young »
Maybe just have cups of tea and read of the newspaper and dispense with the whole thing .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 08, 2018, 01:46:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A few pre-match pints didn't do King Alick much harm!  ;)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 08, 2018, 02:12:55 pm by selby »
  B.B. I am not advocating any of that, just is a more specific warm up at certain players, would it be of benefit. The goalkeepers have their own routine after all.
   Personally I would try 3 or 4 pints on Alfie May.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 08, 2018, 02:45:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It was meant as a joke, Selby! Yes I agree players seem to burn off too much energy pre-match, or at least some do, like Copps for instance.

Chill out man! Tell you what, those pints you're gonna get Alfie, I'll make up the extra ones to make it six pints - one for each goal he's scored in the short time he's had on the pitch. I'll also get him a double whiskey for being our top percentage shots on target striker, and another one for being our most prolific striker in terms of playing time.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 08, 2018, 03:08:38 pm by rich1471 »
Maybe it was a little to much yesterday the warm up , thats why the ref stopped play after 20 minutes for a water break at first i through someone was injured.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 08, 2018, 03:33:00 pm by dickos1 »
I’d imagine the older the players get the longer warm up they require.
Training in the week should be lighter for the older players but I don’t think giving them an easier warm up would do the older players much good

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 08, 2018, 04:37:57 pm by keith79 »
Makes sense to me.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 08, 2018, 06:55:35 pm by VivaRovers »
Maybe it was a little to much yesterday the warm up , thats why the ref stopped play after 20 minutes for a water break at first i through someone was injured.
Someone was. The assistant referee went off and was replaced

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 08, 2018, 07:34:50 pm by rich1471 »
Was looking for a player down injured never saw the Lino people around through it was a water break as well

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 10, 2018, 01:19:16 pm by Rovers91 »
With the sports science and how much attention to detail they put into it im sure they know what they are doing with the intensity.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012