Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:20:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Players we'd signed...but never did  (Read 10028 times)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
Re: Players we'd signed...but never did
« Reply #30 on April 13, 2018, 11:41:26 am by DMnumber4 »
Fola Onibuje?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 13, 2018, 11:58:10 am by Wild Rover »
Did anyone ever spill the names of the 2 Algerians we had on trial during the Beaglehole era? We opted not to sign them as we needed quick fixes and not players who would develop over time. The story goes at least one of them went on to have a stellar career!

It wasn't the Beaglehole era, Dave McKay was manager, it was Christmas 1988 into New Year 1989. I know because I arranged trial with club.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 13, 2018, 12:37:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Did anyone ever spill the names of the 2 Algerians we had on trial during the Beaglehole era? We opted not to sign them as we needed quick fixes and not players who would develop over time. The story goes at least one of them went on to have a stellar career!

It wasn't the Beaglehole era, Dave McKay was manager, it was Christmas 1988 into New Year 1989. I know because I arranged trial with club.

Who were the players?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 13, 2018, 12:46:46 pm by Bessie Red »

Who were the players?
The rumour goes that one of them was Zidane

kieranDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 13, 2018, 01:24:18 pm by kieranDRFC »
I seem to remember Clyde Wijnhard being heavily linked with us.. Think he joined Darlington instead and we got Guy Ipoua, another one that worked out well for us.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 13, 2018, 01:52:14 pm by Wild Rover »

Who were the players?

Not a rumour. other was Bilel Dziri ( known as Boom Boom to us).

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 13, 2018, 01:57:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
Steven Taylor beginning of this season.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 13, 2018, 02:13:46 pm by ravenrover »
Paul Green last season

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 13, 2018, 02:47:49 pm by RoversAlias »

Who were the players?

Not a rumour. other was Bilel Dziri ( known as Boom Boom to us).

Is there anything more on this story knocking about anywhere? (Or that you can tell us yourself!). It sounds like one of the great stories of Rovers' past yet I've never heard a word on it before.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 13, 2018, 03:19:53 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yeah. That's hilarious, worse than Barnsley turning down Demba Ba.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 13, 2018, 03:49:10 pm by RedJ »
Even worse than us turning down Kevin Keegan.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 13, 2018, 03:53:46 pm by Prez »

Who were the players?

Relax guys, if we had of signed Zidane, we would of probably sold him on to Sheff U for 20k with no sell on fee.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 13, 2018, 04:07:50 pm by Copps is Magic »
Apart from a few step-overs and turn a rounds Zidane was overrated so we dodged a bullet there.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 13, 2018, 05:28:33 pm by craigdrfc »
I was always under the impression (via the urban myth) that one of them was ZZ. Obviously I was never sure if it was fact or just the underlying story being embellished somewhat. Wild Rover seems to suggest it was ZZ, and is well placed to know!

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 13, 2018, 05:42:51 pm by Wild Rover »
Safest bet is to ASK either Steve B or Eddie B whether or not I brought them over ( I'm sure they will remember) .

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 13, 2018, 05:55:40 pm by scawsby steve »
I was always under the impression (via the urban myth) that one of them was ZZ. Obviously I was never sure if it was fact or just the underlying story being embellished somewhat. Wild Rover seems to suggest it was ZZ, and is well placed to know!

F*cking hell, Craig; ZZ Top played at the Keepmoat and I missed it? now I'm really p*ssed off.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 13, 2018, 06:17:02 pm by RoversAlias »

F*cking hell, Craig; ZZ Top played at the Keepmoat and I missed it? now I'm really p*ssed off.

Why didn't you go, Steve? You've got legs. You know how to use them.

:coat:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 13, 2018, 08:32:14 pm by scawsby steve »

Why didn't you go, Steve? You've got legs. You know how to use them.

:coat:

I've worn them out, Alias, with walking to the Keepmoat and back every home game; it's quite a long way from Scawsby. It's a good job I'm fit; for an old codger anyway.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 13, 2018, 11:01:53 pm by VivaRovers »
Safest bet is to ASK either Steve B or Eddie B whether or not I brought them over ( I'm sure they will remember) .
Woah, no. You can't just drop this here, then brush it off. There are so many follow-up questions.

How did it come about?
Presumably they only trialled with Doncaster?
Were they at Rovers for a bit of time, or just a one-day session?
Was the fact they didn't stay down to Mackay? Or did they decide that perhaps Doncaster wasn't for them?
What did the players themselves make of it?
Do you reckon Zidane rates not seeing if he could click with Kevin Noteman as one of his greatest regrets?

And that's just for starters. Come on give us more.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 14, 2018, 08:11:36 am by Donny Exile in York »
Striker Kevin Wilson back in the 90s. ex Ipswich Town. Rurmoured to have signed then went somewhere else. Would have scored a shed load for a season at least and at that time provided the experience we badly lacked.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 14, 2018, 08:12:23 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Has someone got Zidanes address so we can write to him?

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 14, 2018, 09:05:43 am by craigdrfc »
Kevin Wilson - think the story there was Ian Atkins had him lined up to sign but Uncle Ken vetoed it due to his age and concerns over fitness. Wilson went on to score a load that season I think, and Ken went on to .... well ....

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 14, 2018, 10:32:04 am by GazLaz »
Kevin Wilson - think the story there was Ian Atkins had him lined up to sign but Uncle Ken vetoed it due to his age and concerns over fitness. Wilson went on to score a load that season I think, and Ken went on to .... well ....

Didn’t we nearly sign KeLvin Wilson as well once?

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 14, 2018, 12:00:33 pm by Red wizard »
Think we had Richard Keogh on trial a few years ago as well.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 14, 2018, 12:35:40 pm by RoversAlias »
Has anyone mentioned Steven Pressley? Saw him play for us in a friendly against I think Scunthorpe (same game there was a polite punch-up in the box that the ref awarded warnings for) but he never ended up signing, a year or two later he was manager of Coventry.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 14, 2018, 12:42:39 pm by swintonrover »
We were linked with Neil Kilkenny for a good 18 months

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 14, 2018, 01:58:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
These have all been mentioned above but Penney was forever linked with Beckett and try as he might SOD could not shake off Neil Kilkenny.

Matt Carmichael we were linked with at the height of his Scunny powers then eventually got him on the way down.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 14, 2018, 02:03:25 pm by RoversAlias »
Beckett's wife was a work friend of my mum's back in those days and I believe we were in for him at one stage but it just never fully materialised. He was a really good striker too.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 14, 2018, 04:58:07 pm by chrisd_123 »
Has anyone mentioned Steven Pressley? Saw him play for us in a friendly against I think Scunthorpe (same game there was a polite punch-up in the box that the ref awarded warnings for) but he never ended up signing, a year or two later he was manager of Coventry.

If I remember correctly he played in that friendly for us and S'OD wanted to bring him in. He then seemingly just decided he's rather just retire than sign for us!  :lol:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 14, 2018, 05:42:56 pm by idler »
Didn't he become a player manager for a while. I thought that we said that he was too old to sign at the time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012