Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:38:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well how did we throw 2 points away?  (Read 9979 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Well how did we throw 2 points away?
« Reply #60 on April 19, 2018, 06:47:35 am by dickos1 »
You can see from the line on the pitch though that he’s clearly in front of the ball

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 19, 2018, 07:47:52 am by Filo »
Lord above donnievic, I can't really say more than the last couple of guys have, but here's the video for yourself. It's been set to play from the right point, all you have to do is hit the cog in the bottom right and slow the speed down to 0.25. It's plain as day that Butler is a good yard short of the "so called" (what?) line when the ball is first played.

https://youtu.be/snDVrOYWvZ0?t=87

where butler is doesn’t even come into it as I just think the scorer is not in front of the ball when it’s played,if you think he is that’s fine it’s all about opinions but as for other who say he is yards offside are way out.

He's in front of the ball, in that instance to be onside he has to be behind another Rovers player, so yes he is yards offside

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 19, 2018, 08:34:48 am by Not Now Kato »
Miles off! I was in line behind the linno

If you were in line behind the linesman then you sit about 15 yards along from the half way line, as that's where the linno was when the pass was made  ;-)

It was offside though.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 19, 2018, 01:59:02 pm by Rovers Return »
Miles off! I was in line behind the linno

If you were in line behind the linesman then you sit about 15 yards along from the half way line, as that's where the linno was when the pass was made  ;-)

It was offside though.

In fact he came running past us like a bloke trying to catch a bus that had already left :-)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 19, 2018, 05:32:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not really a game as dickovs side had just come from the championship and this one has just come from league 2.
It would be interesting to know how we finished after our last promotion from league 2 though under Penney.

Not sure you will get many takers for an argument that the squad that season under Dickov was better than this year - but good luck trying to sell the idea that Curtis Main and Theo Robinson as a strike force that season was unfair comparison to what we have now. Let us all know how you get on with that comrade.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on April 19, 2018, 08:06:56 pm by dickos1 »
So your arguement is that Ferguson has signed better players than Dickov did?
Finally we agree on something

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 19, 2018, 08:40:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not really a game as dickovs side had just come from the championship and this one has just come from league 2.
It would be interesting to know how we finished after our last promotion from league 2 though under Penney.

Not sure you will get many takers for an argument that the squad that season under Dickov was better than this year - but good luck trying to sell the idea that Curtis Main and Theo Robinson as a strike force that season was unfair comparison to what we have now. Let us all know how you get on with that comrade.

You’re right of course CBCB. After 41 games in 2014/15, we’d got the same number of points as this season, but that shocking attack had scored a whole 1 goal fewer.

Funny old game.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 19, 2018, 09:14:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
The only two players I mentioned scored 15 league goals between them in 78 league games.

Marquis alone has scored the same number (well, 14 leagues goals) in half the league games (well, 40 league games).

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 19, 2018, 11:05:39 pm by RedJ »
Lord above donnievic, I can't really say more than the last couple of guys have, but here's the video for yourself. It's been set to play from the right point, all you have to do is hit the cog in the bottom right and slow the speed down to 0.25. It's plain as day that Butler is a good yard short of the "so called" (what?) line when the ball is first played.

https://youtu.be/snDVrOYWvZ0?t=87

where butler is doesn’t even come into it as I just think the scorer is not in front of the ball when it’s played,if you think he is that’s fine it’s all about opinions but as for other who say he is yards offside are way out.

You may well think that. Only one other person did and he was the one running the line. Your sight is on its way out if you think the goal scorer is onside. Ludicrous to claim otherwise.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on April 19, 2018, 11:13:26 pm by dickos1 »
The only two players I mentioned scored 15 league goals between them in 78 league games.

Marquis alone has scored the same number (well, 14 leagues goals) in half the league games (well, 40 league games).

You actually stated “the squad”

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 20, 2018, 10:13:16 am by Chris Black come back »
You are nebbing in to an exchange in which you were not involved - why, I have no idea.

“The attack” was highlighted by Billy, and the only two players I cited were Curtis and Theo.

Both are correct.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 20, 2018, 02:36:27 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not nebbing into anything, you responded to my comment and stated “good luck trying to sell the idea that main and Robinson are an unfair comparison to what we have now”

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 20, 2018, 03:18:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I wouldn’t dream of comparing Main and Robinson to Marquis. That’d be daft.

But the record does suggest that there was barely a fag paper between the performance of that squad and the performance of the current one.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 20, 2018, 06:56:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
I’m not nebbing into anything, you responded to my comment and stated “good luck trying to sell the idea that main and Robinson are an unfair comparison to what we have now”

I hope you can get the help you clearly need. My heart goes out to you. Cannot be easy.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 20, 2018, 09:54:51 pm by dickos1 »
Don’t you worry about me comrade.
I only hope you can get over the disappointment of Ferguson proving you wrong

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 20, 2018, 10:48:01 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
Oooh! all this testosteronal one-upmanship crap - think I'll go t' bed !

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 20, 2018, 10:56:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don’t you worry about me comrade.
I only hope you can get over the disappointment of Ferguson proving you wrong

I will end the night by pointing out that you called for him to be sacked when he got us relegated - so comrade it is you who was proved wrong.

The sinner repenteth!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on April 21, 2018, 12:18:45 am by dickos1 »
😂😂 Ok comrade

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 21, 2018, 07:42:03 pm by The Red Baron »

But the record does suggest that there was barely a fag paper between the performance of that squad and the performance of the current one.

I agree BST, and one of my main frustrations with Ferguson is that we are no further forward than we were three years ago.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 21, 2018, 08:53:51 pm by RedJ »
And the fact that we took a completely unnecessary step back under his stewardship in the middle of that time frame...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 21, 2018, 09:00:27 pm by drfchound »

I agree BST, and one of my main frustrations with Ferguson is that we are no further forward than we were three years ago.

Bang on TRB.
I will be surprised if we are any further forward this time next year too.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on April 21, 2018, 09:03:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
It is fair to say that we have done well to inject some resilience this season and have (fingers crossed) been effectively safe from relegation for some time now. That should be welcomed.

What is also true is that we have indeed taken three years to get back to where we started, and it is a push to say we are an exciting team to watch with a positive and distinct style of football as was promised at our last change of management. It is certainly not Saunders football, but equally it is a bit, well, meh.

Will see what next season in League One brings. This season has it is fair to say not been an excellent one, but good enough.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on April 21, 2018, 09:27:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

That’s rather unfair TRB. Three years ago we were in the middle of a major decline. 2013/14 was a disaster. 2014/15 was a seriously disappointing underachievement  after we’d been led to expect that we’d be contenders. The start of 2015/16 was a calamity. We’d signed a string of players who were either shite, or who had turned into worse than they were when we signed them (Evina, ATS, Stuckmann, Robinson, Main, Forrester, MacKenzie, Chaow, Calder) and two of the old stars on the books had faded fast (Jones and Wellens).

That squad was rotten and needed sweeping out and replacing. You can’t do that overnight.

Ferguson has done a moderately good job of that. The failings of the current squad more down to inexperience than the abject lack of ability, effort and balls from most of the squad that Ferguson inherited. The way I see it, three years ago we were going downhill. Now we’re at roughly the same level of performance, but going uphill. Seems to me that it’s unfair to say there’s been no progress.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 21, 2018, 09:32:33 pm by drfchound »
It is crackers BST to lay any blame on the squad that Ferguson inherited three years after he came here.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on April 21, 2018, 09:35:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

The point was s that the club was going backwards rapidly when he came in. And he did inherit some dross, some of which is still on the books.

You don’t turn that round overnight. As I said, that squad was full of players who were not going to get better. The squad he’s put together now IS getting better and will be better next year than they are now. So it seems daft to say that we’re in there’s bern no improvement in 3 years.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on April 21, 2018, 09:36:01 pm by The Red Baron »
BST

I'll wait and see what our signings are in the summer. Unless we bring in some better ones we'll struggle. We depend on Marquis, Coppinger and Butler far too much.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 21, 2018, 10:20:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
The perennial mystery as well of where folk are meant to be playing. The midfield is the epitome of this. We have some nominally good players at this level (Rowe, Houghton, Whiteman, Copps) but we conspire to make that group of midfielders far less effective than their individual abilities. How many times has our midfield dominated a team? It really is a genuine mystery and adds to view that we are punching below our weight given resources available.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on April 21, 2018, 10:52:08 pm by The Red Baron »
The perennial mystery as well of where folk are meant to be playing. The midfield is the epitome of this. We have some nominally good players at this level (Rowe, Houghton, Whiteman, Copps) but we conspire to make that group of midfielders far less effective than their individual abilities. How many times has our midfield dominated a team? It really is a genuine mystery and adds to view that we are punching below our weight given resources available.

Because we deploy them in that god-awful diamond formation.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 21, 2018, 10:57:49 pm by pib »
The diamond occasionally works ok against certain opposition and when we have the personnel to play it.

However most of the time, as you say TRB, it is god awful, because DF insists on putting square pegs in round holes in there.

Kongolo then Blair on the left?!
Houghton on the right?!

I think some thought needs to go into playing a system that suits the players we've got. He always insists time and time again on crowbarring people into either a narrow diamond formation or a back three. Far too often it looks disjointed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012