Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:30:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: In a word...  (Read 9662 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
In a word...
« on April 17, 2018, 09:49:52 pm by Donnyjim »
Pathetic! 2-0 up to a side that has lost the last seven, with the worst record in the league? The team and the manager show once again their weakness in closing games out. Another long old season beckons next year, I'm afraid.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: In a word...
« Reply #1 on April 17, 2018, 09:50:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
You clearly never went.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 17, 2018, 09:55:24 pm by Cantley Rover »
If you think we played well then obviously neither did you.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 17, 2018, 09:58:18 pm by GazLaz »
f**k me, we’ve lost one game at home since October. Chill out.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 17, 2018, 09:58:58 pm by dknward2 »
Masters of our own down fall we should have been clear before the own goal.

Yeah offside and penalty goals don't help but we showed them far to much respect and looks like we even felt sorry for them

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 17, 2018, 10:00:45 pm by GazLaz »
You get strange games at this time of the season. Dead rubbers with some players putting in 5/10% less than normal. Who’s bothered.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 17, 2018, 10:04:11 pm by Jonathan »
I wouldn’t say we showed them too much respect. Quite the opposite, I thought we got complacent after going 2-0 up. Some poor lapses of concentration.

For all the frustrating factors, I thought Marquis was absolutely outstanding. Phenomenal work rate. Kiwomya should watch him closely and try to emulate it as it was almost cruel to see Marquis still having to chase absolutely everything down even after we’d brought fresh legs on.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 17, 2018, 10:08:07 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
You get strange games at this time of the season. Dead rubbers with some players putting in 5/10% less than normal. Who’s bothered.
I didn't go so can't really comment... but I will on this. Given the way we finished in the last two seasons, and under DF, this did matter a lot to us. It's also about players making the most of opportunities and showing character, especially as most are likely to be part of the squad developing into next season and beyond.

It could be a blip but I really expect more from such a game and now expect more from the final 5.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 17, 2018, 10:10:47 pm by DRNaith »
It's ok, we won 3-2.

Penalties don't count

:bbscarf:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 17, 2018, 10:11:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Agree Jonathan, complacency ruled. Too many players switching off. We have to get a partner for JM - it’s criminal. Matty son, you are not a rb after that!

And give me Anderson over Boyle any day.

That was poor in so many ways.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:25:01 pm by Alan Southstand »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 17, 2018, 10:15:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If you think we played well then obviously neither did you.

Were we meant to close out the game from the 35th minute?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 17, 2018, 10:16:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's ok, we won 3-2.

Penalties don't count

:bbscarf:

Neither do offside goals!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 17, 2018, 10:17:19 pm by mushRTID »
The booing was uncalled for at FT.

The most frustrating thing for me is after our third there was still plenty of time to push on, we didn’t really seem to have much of a go.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 17, 2018, 10:18:58 pm by dickos1 »
Pathetic! 2-0 up to a side that has lost the last seven, with the worst record in the league? The team and the manager show once again their weakness in closing games out. Another long old season beckons next year, I'm afraid.

Thought a few of this lot might make an appearance tonight
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:37:24 pm by dickos1 »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 17, 2018, 10:19:08 pm by the vicar »
that statement could come back and bite you on the bum

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 17, 2018, 10:22:07 pm by PDX_Rover »
It's OK. After a brief foray into semi-happiness, old Jim's resumed his normal programming ;)

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 17, 2018, 10:22:54 pm by johnny rovers »
An enjoyable evening of league one football. That will do me!!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 17, 2018, 10:25:13 pm by Copps is Magic »
There's some obvious criticisms: Kiwomya's mam who laid out a sweat vest when he clear didn't need it (put him off big time that), the sponsors drinking too much mixed-berry cider choosing Beestin as man of the match when he didn't contribute anything to the game, the atmospheric layer Blair resides in (not the same as his team mates) but all of this would have been forgotten if Rowe had buried that chance at the end. 

Strange old game.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 17, 2018, 10:27:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We've had some decent results but it masks the real weaknesses of the team. A team that time after time loses all composure, movement and the ability to do basic things for long spells even when on top.

The midfield becomes static and players like Houghton and Whiteman resort to tentative play and rarely step out to create space and link play. They stand off and allow the opposition too much time to get comfortable on the ball.

Copps then becomes overworked trying to keep things moving, Marquis feels he needs to come deep to help out etc. Kiwomya, largely anonymous.

Why does this keep happening? Fergies has got the responsibility to solve the problems but the repetition makes you wonder whether he's got the wherewithal to correct it.

It all started so well, we had them at sixes and sevens and could easily have been 4 up before they had a sniff at goal. You'd expect confidence to grow but instead the opposite happens. I just don't get it.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 17, 2018, 10:28:10 pm by Red wizard »
It's a funny old game.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 17, 2018, 10:30:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
If Rowe had buried any of his 5 good chances, blah, blah.

That’s us to tee, if Marquis or a defender doesn’t score it appears nobody else is capable.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 17, 2018, 10:38:33 pm by dickos1 »
Rowe scored two only a fortnight ago

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 17, 2018, 10:41:38 pm by RedJ »
Some of the football was sublime tonight. There are obviously still some problems to work out but there's clear progress from the dirge we saw over the winter (despite the improved results, you can't deny some of the football was absolutely shite). Had more than enough chances to win it as well, though we never should've let them back in never mind take the lead.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 17, 2018, 10:42:14 pm by Cantley Rover »
Rowe scored two only a fortnight ago

And missed 5 tonight.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 17, 2018, 10:47:35 pm by Cantley Rover »
There's some obvious criticisms: Kiwomya's mam who laid out a sweat vest when he clear didn't need it (put him off big time that), the sponsors drinking too much mixed-berry cider choosing Beestin as man of the match when he didn't contribute anything to the game, the atmospheric layer Blair resides in (not the same as his team mates) but all of this would have been forgotten if Rowe had buried that chance at the end. 

Strange old game.

Beastin got motm because he played down the left hand side in the second half. That's how the sponsors choose. It's always someone near the hospitality area. He played well in the first half but vanished (other than for the sponsors) in the second half. Oh and Coops was pretty hopeless tonight as well.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 17, 2018, 10:48:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Their 3rd goal. The scorer was so far offside I thought there must be some mitigating circumstances. But just watching the highlights now...how in the name of God’s gonads did the officials not see that?

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 17, 2018, 10:50:44 pm by Donnyjim »
We've had some decent results but it masks the real weaknesses of the team. A team that time after time loses all composure, movement and the ability to do basic things for long spells even when on top.

The midfield becomes static and players like Houghton and Whiteman resort to tentative play and rarely step out to create space and link play. They stand off and allow the opposition too much time to get comfortable on the ball.

Copps then becomes overworked trying to keep things moving, Marquis feels he needs to come deep to help out etc. Kiwomya, largely anonymous.

Why does this keep happening? Fergies has got the responsibility to solve the problems but the repetition makes you wonder whether he's got the wherewithal to correct it.

It all started so well, we had them at sixes and sevens and could easily have been 4 up before they had a sniff at goal. You'd expect confidence to grow but instead the opposite happens. I just don't get it.

Great post! Sums our seasons up perfectly - surely a lot of what you have eluded to could be addressed in training? But it is like you say ground hog day with DF and the team.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 17, 2018, 10:54:39 pm by dickos1 »
Yes Groundhog Day, another game and another game we don’t lose. Bloody rubbish Ferguson

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 17, 2018, 10:55:02 pm by Not Now Kato »

Perhaps we should expect 5/10% off the ticket price then?

That's twice now we've been mugged by a relegated team!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 17, 2018, 10:56:00 pm by RedJ »
Their 3rd goal. The scorer was so far offside I thought there must be some mitigating circumstances. But just watching the highlights now...how in the name of God’s gonads did the officials not see that?

I was f**king livid. Screamed myself hoarse over that. I've seen some inept officiating in my time but f**k me that was criminal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012