Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:24:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: West Stand Exits next season  (Read 6790 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
West Stand Exits next season
« on April 18, 2018, 11:40:12 am by Filo »
I noticed last night that there were notices up at the centre exit in the west stand stating that it will not be used next season. This will create congestion at the two other exits at the end of the games. A daft decision in my opinion

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Away Rover

• VSC Member
Re: West Stand Exits next season
« Reply #1 on April 18, 2018, 12:32:47 pm by Away Rover »
Yes I noticed that too, can't think of any sensible reason why they would do this. Will definitely cause congestion.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 18, 2018, 12:34:36 pm by idler »
Surely it can only be either cost cutting or health and safety.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 18, 2018, 12:39:20 pm by Filo »
Surely it can only be either cost cutting or health and safety.

Something to do with the disabled using it I think, but why would the disabled use a staircase when there are lifts?

As far as health and safety is concerned the Stadium was designed and built with three exit points for a reason, and that was probably to stop congestion and an even spread of people exiting the stadium

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 18, 2018, 12:59:04 pm by silent majority »
It's a Health and Safety decision taken after a recent inspection. I had intended to find out more detail at this Saturday's Supporters Board Meeting. Its not an action that the club are totally happy with.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 18, 2018, 01:01:51 pm by Filo »
It's a Health and Safety decision taken after a recent inspection. I had intended to find out more detail at this Saturday's Supporters Board Meeting. Its not an action that the club are totally happy with.

Would n't you agree that congesting the other two exits is a health and safety issue?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 18, 2018, 01:03:20 pm by silent majority »

Would n't you agree that congesting the other two exits is a health and safety issue?

There's only one exit from the East stand, that copes quite well.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 18, 2018, 01:04:44 pm by Filo »

Theres less people in the east stand

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 18, 2018, 01:16:14 pm by wing commander »

Just out of interest what was the actual reason why the health and safety took this action..It seems odd on the face of it how 2 exits can be safer than 3??..

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 18, 2018, 01:21:59 pm by Cantley Rover »
I cannot see why an exit which is a stairway only is to be used by the disabled.

klindle

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 18, 2018, 02:08:23 pm by klindle »
Perhaps they should concentrate their efforts on stewarding the exit from car park 2! Always standing around at the junction when a simple alternate control system by a couple of them would avoid an accident/incident waiting to happen?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 18, 2018, 02:12:49 pm by godlike1 »
That makes no sense at all. the stand will have been modelled to cope with the forecasted flow of people (admittedly when full) and include disable numbers within that model as well. This in turn makes sure that the door openings, routes, distances (for fire etc) and so on are compliant with the regulations.

If this design changes then the whole process will need carrying out again to make sure the alterations will not create any knock on effect.

If it is a H&S risk why wait until next season, why not change it now if serious enough

All makes very bizarre reading. Is this some H&S bloke who is pushing his weight around?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 18, 2018, 02:14:15 pm by silent majority »
Perhaps they should concentrate their efforts on stewarding the exit from car park 2! Always standing around at the junction when a simple alternate control system by a couple of them would avoid an accident/incident waiting to happen?

They're not allowed to direct traffic.

Brian Young

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 18, 2018, 02:18:31 pm by Brian Young »
Compromising H/S is illegal , so one can only asume the closure of the exit is for another issue and therefore it is only be to used in emergencies. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 18, 2018, 02:19:48 pm by silent majority »
I don't have all the answers, as I said I intended to dig into this further. But it's definitely arisen form the latest H&S visit. The notices have been put up to give people plenty of notice but I understand a concession is to be made for any disabled people who wish to use it.

Two exits can cope with the amount of people occupying the west stand, and as I pointed out the east copes very well with just one.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 18, 2018, 02:25:10 pm by TheFunk »
They did try it at one game earlier this season and it was a nightmare. There were many people who complained and it was re opened for the next match. That time the reason for shutting it apparently was for security reasons. The East exit is at ground level though so the risk from pushing and falling isn't as much a problem.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 18, 2018, 02:38:58 pm by ravenrover »
A fair bit of congestion in the West exits is caused by some people who are less able on their feet who want to get out straight aftter the final whistle, to get down the stairs quickly and who take up one side of the staircase due to the way they have to hold the rail and position their body, it doesn't help when people are pushing from the back and can't see these less able people

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 18, 2018, 03:01:15 pm by silent majority »

Capacity of the East stand is 3790 and the West has 3670.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 18, 2018, 03:11:05 pm by Filo »

I'm not talking about the capacity, I'm talking about the number of people that actuall use the stand. You said the east stand copes with one exit, it will do when reduced numbers use it

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 18, 2018, 03:13:28 pm by wing commander »
 it's not the capacity it's the amount of people who use it..There are way more people use the west stand than the east stand on a normal matchday..And you can add to that the corporate clients and premier lounge members who go in the bar afterwards as opposed to leaving the stadium..

That said it's not going to make a massive difference to exiting the ground but just seems a daft idea that will hinder more than it helps but that's the hse for you..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 18, 2018, 03:26:38 pm by silent majority »

I'm not talking about the capacity, I'm talking about the number of people that actuall use the stand. You said the east stand copes with one exit, it will do when reduced numbers use it

Yes I realise that, but you're stating that the West needs 3 exits and the east survives on 1. It's obvious that you sit in the west as you assume there are more people in there, try looking at it from the East side and I think you'll find there's not as many as you think.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 18, 2018, 03:27:29 pm by silent majority »
it's not the capacity it's the amount of people who use it..There are way more people use the west stand than the east stand on a normal matchday..And you can add to that the corporate clients and premier lounge members who go in the bar afterwards as opposed to leaving the stadium..

That said it's not going to make a massive difference to exiting the ground but just seems a daft idea that will hinder more than it helps but that's the hse for you..

Seriously WC? Way more?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 18, 2018, 03:41:43 pm by wing commander »
yep I would say so when you take the actual numbers who exit the stadium straight after the game..I sit in the South and there always looks a lot more people in the west stand..Then you can add the people who go to the bar..But it's a argument not worth having either way it's not the end of the world...

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 18, 2018, 04:52:31 pm by Cantley Rover »

So has the ground capacity been reduced quite considerably then? Based on those figures it would mean the South and North stands have a capacity of 4,000 each (approximately)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 18, 2018, 05:38:46 pm by silent majority »
Reduced? Not sure what you mean.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 18, 2018, 05:43:34 pm by RoversAlias »
Come on SM, it is clear that the East Stand has less fans in it than the West. I sit in the middle of the South every single game so I have an equal good view of both those stands and the West is always much fuller than the East. Especially when you take out the most populated area of the East - the premier lounge seats - from where all of those folks won't even be using the 'common' exits at ground level.

It is clear that "the East Stand copes with one exit open so the West will cope with two" is blatantly not a sensible assertion.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 18, 2018, 05:58:54 pm by Muttley »

There's effectively 2 exits in the East stand as a a considerable proportion are Premier Lounge users who use the bar after the match and then exit via the stairs & lobby.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 18, 2018, 06:23:44 pm by Donnywolf »
None of the 3 West Stand exits allow for easy passage with the twists and Turns. The one in question is probably the worst to exit with the Double Doors followed by a 90 degree left and 3 90 degree rights

I always hoped there would be Evacuation Doors put in say opposite each Male Toilet with a Roller Shutter Door only opened at Full Time (or in an Emergency) exiting in a straight direction with no Corners to negotiate. This would obviously have had a "cost" in monetary terms and the loss of some space in front of the West Stand

The Steps at each end of the West are a bit better having just 3 twists - 90 Degree Rights or Lefts depending on the end you leave from but I stopped using them because people watching the TV proved an obstruction (may not be on now) together with the people taking a Pee before adding themselves to the "throng"

As I said none of the three are ideal

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 18, 2018, 06:30:59 pm by silent majority »
Come on SM, it is clear that the East Stand has less fans in it than the West. I sit in the middle of the South every single game so I have an equal good view of both those stands and the West is always much fuller than the East. Especially when you take out the most populated area of the East - the premier lounge seats - from where all of those folks won't even be using the 'common' exits at ground level.

It is clear that "the East Stand copes with one exit open so the West will cope with two" is blatantly not a sensible assertion.

Its a nonsense of an argument, which is why I've been treating it so flippantly.

And I didn't write what you've just typed out either. Don't use quotation marks when you're not quoting me accurately.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:33:48 pm by silent majority »

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 18, 2018, 06:35:05 pm by Cantley Rover »
Reduced? Not sure what you mean.

I will ask the question differently then. What is the capacity of the South and North stands.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012