Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:18:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: West Stand Exits next season  (Read 6857 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: West Stand Exits next season
« Reply #30 on April 18, 2018, 06:44:12 pm by silent majority »
Reduced? Not sure what you mean.

I will ask the question differently then. What is the capacity of the South and North stands.

I'll ask.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 18, 2018, 07:51:23 pm by RoversAlias »
Come on SM, it is clear that the East Stand has less fans in it than the West. I sit in the middle of the South every single game so I have an equal good view of both those stands and the West is always much fuller than the East. Especially when you take out the most populated area of the East - the premier lounge seats - from where all of those folks won't even be using the 'common' exits at ground level.

It is clear that "the East Stand copes with one exit open so the West will cope with two" is blatantly not a sensible assertion.

Its a nonsense of an argument, which is why I've been treating it so flippantly.

And I didn't write what you've just typed out either. Don't use quotation marks when you're not quoting me accurately.

Now you're just being pedantic. In so many words that is what you were trying to say, and it isn't the case.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 18, 2018, 07:59:52 pm by silent majority »
Its the second time that I've pointed out that you have misquoted my posts to change the meaning. I'm not pedantic I'm annoyed.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 18, 2018, 08:27:46 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The fact that the east stand concourse is at ground level makes a significant difference to the ease of exit.  It is the stairways that cause the congestion in the west stand whereas in the east there are several stairways down to ground level which move much more freely, the movement through the single exit is much better.  Don't forget that the east stand capacity is significantly less than the figure you have given SM since the north end was converted to accommodate away support.  It is years since the east was used to accommodate home support.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 18, 2018, 08:59:41 pm by roversdude »
Might be an idea to move the tv screen away from the Southern stairwell in West Stand, there’s always a crowd watching scores on way out

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 18, 2018, 10:11:19 pm by RoversAlias »
Its the second time that I've pointed out that you have misquoted my posts to change the meaning. I'm not pedantic I'm annoyed.

Fine. Your exact words were

"There's only one exit from the East stand, that copes quite well."

It was in response to someone else asking if you felt congesting the other two exits in the West stand would cause another Health & Safety issue. Now your implication is that it won't cause an issue because the East copes with only having one open. It's clear though that the lesser number of fans in the stand makes a difference there.

That's quite simple. I'm glad you're seeking clarification on the issue at the weekend, I appreciate the job you do on behalf of the fans but it would help if you were a little less cagey in your responses to fans on here sometimes. I believe the points raised about the number of fans in each stand and the fact the East Stand exit is at ground level are very valid points raised.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 19, 2018, 05:56:33 am by roversdude »
Intrigued to hear what the health and safety issues are

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 19, 2018, 09:15:37 am by silent majority »

Fine. Your exact words were

"There's only one exit from the East stand, that copes quite well."

It was in response to someone else asking if you felt congesting the other two exits in the West stand would cause another Health & Safety issue. Now your implication is that it won't cause an issue because the East copes with only having one open. It's clear though that the lesser number of fans in the stand makes a difference there.

That's quite simple. I'm glad you're seeking clarification on the issue at the weekend, I appreciate the job you do on behalf of the fans but it would help if you were a little less cagey in your responses to fans on here sometimes. I believe the points raised about the number of fans in each stand and the fact the East Stand exit is at ground level are very valid points raised.

Good, I'm glad we cleared that up. And as I explained earlier I was being flippant because I thought it was a non-issue.

But to be serious for a 2nd, the West Stand currently has 3 exits. Given that there are more people in the West (debatable to be exact) then reducing the 3 to 2 shouldn't make an awful difference if the East copes well with one. Surely there's logic there? If you did observe the fans leaving the stadium you will have noticed that it takes longer for the East stand to clear the bowl than it does anywhere else. Both the South and the West clear the bowl and get people onto the concourse much quicker. Even with that log jam in the East (because it has one main bowl exit and because it has to clear individuals from top to bottom of the stand) it still clears in a matter of a few minutes.

As for appreciating the work I do then I thank you, but I would also hazard a guess that you don't know what I do, or how much time I spend doing it. I am cagey at times because some of the information I have shouldn't really be coming my way at all, and because I'm not the club spokesman then I am careful with what I say. If I was careless with the information then club officials would not seek me out for advice/discussions as they do. That has to be a positive and honesty has been our philosophy since the early days of IRWT.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 19, 2018, 01:12:23 pm by RoversAlias »
A good response and more than satisfactory on this issue, SM.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 19, 2018, 02:03:02 pm by glosterred »
Am I right in saying, not spent a lot of time in the east stand, that you move down to ground level through the seats and then out directly at ground level. In the west stand you go down a curved set of steps, both ends and then directly out of the stadium. Therefore you you have more congestion at the top and on the stairs as you go out of the stadium. Has this been taken into consideration when closing one of the exits? Is it relevant?

COYR

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 19, 2018, 02:46:29 pm by silent majority »
After a series of communications with the club I think we can put this one to bed;

The central stairwell on the West stand is not an entry/exit route.

The route in question is the designated safe refuge area in case of fire, and in our case, will be used by our disabled supporters. It's designed to withstand a longer period of smoke and fire and give time for supporters to be evacuated in a timely fashion by stewards or fire service.

All stadium capacities for ingress and egress are calculated on the two stair exits at either end of the concourse.  If you mirror this to the East stand you could say there are three exits one at each end next to the turnstile entrance and the entry/exit route from the concourse into the East reception. This route is not a normal exit route and not part of the safe capacity calculations.

Although the club have been happy for it to be used but now its been highlighted during the inspection the club have to act. The Safety Officer will have no choice but to comply.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 19, 2018, 04:18:24 pm by Pancho Regan »
That makes sense now it's been explained.

Thanks SM.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 19, 2018, 04:19:22 pm by pib »
If the West stand isn't more populated than the East on a match day then it's an optical illusion.

It always looks way more full anyway from behind the goal, not even taking into account that the bottom end of the East stand (towards the North) isn't even open most of the time.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 19, 2018, 04:30:50 pm by silent majority »
If the West stand isn't more populated than the East on a match day then it's an optical illusion.

It always looks way more full anyway from behind the goal, not even taking into account that the bottom end of the East stand (towards the North) isn't even open most of the time.

Neither is the top end of the West stand.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 19, 2018, 05:40:35 pm by Filo »
After a series of communications with the club I think we can put this one to bed;

The central stairwell on the West stand is not an entry/exit route.

The route in question is the designated safe refuge area in case of fire, and in our case, will be used by our disabled supporters. It's designed to withstand a longer period of smoke and fire and give time for supporters to be evacuated in a timely fashion by stewards or fire service.

All stadium capacities for ingress and egress are calculated on the two stair exits at either end of the concourse.  If you mirror this to the East stand you could say there are three exits one at each end next to the turnstile entrance and the entry/exit route from the concourse into the East reception. This route is not a normal exit route and not part of the safe capacity calculations.

Although the club have been happy for it to be used but now its been highlighted during the inspection the club have to act. The Safety Officer will have no choice but to comply.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated. WhatI don't get is if its that much of an issue with Health and Safety why is it still being used for the rest of this season? And why has it took 11 years of continued use, and as far as I'm aware no incidents for them to suddenly decide it should not be used anymore?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 19, 2018, 06:44:25 pm by pib »

Neither is the top end of the West stand.

There appears to be more West Stand blocks open than the East from where I sit.

I know the stands are slightly different but there must be an extra 1/2 to 1 full block open in the West usually.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 19, 2018, 10:12:41 pm by silent majority »
Nobody is disagreeing with you pib. Don't know what point you wish to pursue.

It's a nothing argument.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 20, 2018, 08:20:55 am by pib »

It's a nothing argument.

I'm not arguing or pursuing a point, I'm just interested. Sorry that you interpret it that way.

As sad as it might be, I'm just interested in our stadium. Not every contribution to the forum is an argument.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 20, 2018, 10:52:47 am by Donnywolf »
So back to the main point - I am reading your Post SM as that in the event of a fire any Disabled Fans unable to exit via (say) the Lifts would be housed in that area - rather than use that route as an escape Route. Then they could be helped from the Ground when help arrived in an orderly

If so that does make sense.

My next question which I am sure you will know the answer to (as I think I do)  - is there is a further floor above that area. So would the people up there be able to exit the Stadium ( probably yes via Press Box area) and so not be blocked in via the Disabled people and probably their carers who may be in that area in the case of the Emergency evacuation ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 20, 2018, 01:15:11 pm by silent majority »

It's a nothing argument.

I'm not arguing or pursuing a point, I'm just interested. Sorry that you interpret it that way.

As sad as it might be, I'm just interested in our stadium. Not every contribution to the forum is an argument.

Apologies pib, I had assumed you were disagreeing with my posts.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 20, 2018, 01:24:39 pm by silent majority »
So back to the main point - I am reading your Post SM as that in the event of a fire any Disabled Fans unable to exit via (say) the Lifts would be housed in that area - rather than use that route as an escape Route. Then they could be helped from the Ground when help arrived in an orderly

My next question which I am sure you will know the answer to (as I think I do)  - is there is a further floor above that area. So would the people up there be able to exit the Stadium ( probably yes via Press Box area) and so not be blocked in via the Disabled people and probably their carers who may be in that area in the case of the Emergency evacuation ?

Wolfy, yes that's the right understanding. It's a safe refuge area first and foremost, and is constructed to withstand fire for much longer periods so those who are physically incapable of using the main exits can gather there. Apparently all stadiums have to have them.

On your second point. Its not an exit route therefore people gathered around the press box and control room would make their escape into the bowl area and follow normal procedures.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 20, 2018, 06:52:05 pm by Cantley Rover »

Wolfy, yes that's the right understanding. It's a safe refuge area first and foremost, and is constructed to withstand fire for much longer periods so those who are physically incapable of using the main exits can gather there. Apparently all stadiums have to have them.

On your second point. Its not an exit route therefore people gathered around the press box and control room would make their escape into the bowl area and follow normal procedures.

In that case the notice at the exit is rather confusing. It does state disabled amd authorised personnel I believe. My understanding of that would be that control room and press personnel would be allowed to use this exit?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 20, 2018, 08:34:46 pm by silent majority »

In that case the notice at the exit is rather confusing. It does state disabled amd authorised personnel I believe. My understanding of that would be that control room and press personnel would be allowed to use this exit?

Authorised personnel would be stewards and anybody else who would be trained in evacuation procedures.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012