Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:44:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Building blocks  (Read 3028 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Building blocks
« on April 18, 2018, 11:47:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
Were pretty much guaranteed a mid table place now. Were also the 3rd best form team in the league, after Wigan and Blackburn, this for me shows we've grown and we've now adjusted to the league. Take that into next season and with a handful of right additions we could challenge for the play-offs.

For me we need
A young left back, better than Garratt
A centerback like Anderson
Houghton or someone to replace him
A midfielder similar to Wellens
A striker or two to go with Kiwomya and Marquis.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Building blocks
« Reply #1 on April 18, 2018, 11:51:24 am by Filo »
Were pretty much guaranteed a mid table place now. Were also the 3rd best form team in the league, after Wigan and Blackburn, this for me shows we've grown and we've now adjusted to the league. Take that into next season and with a handful of right additions we could challenge for the play-offs.

For me we need

How about a proper right wingback?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 18, 2018, 11:53:15 am by DonnyOsmond »

For me we need

Personally, I'm happy with Mason and Blair as cover. We don't have Man City's budget so if we've got someone capable in Mason then we don't need someone else.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 18, 2018, 11:58:11 am by raggytash »
2 solid midfielders one as got to be a playmaker..... a quality striker to play with marquis and a r/b get Kiwomya on the fringes of midfield we’ll be hard to beat

Brian Young

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 18, 2018, 12:02:55 pm by Brian Young »
We are just not good enough . We have been fighting fires all season and only just got away with last night , I suppose we are marginally improving with a draw from another winning position. Blair was taken off because of his mistakes . Houghton is just another wannabe and is just  not up to the job taking responsibility. Kongolo is a damp squid . We desperately need defenders and another striker to give JM a partner who can match his efforts up front. So it’s back to the drawing board FERGIE!!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 18, 2018, 12:30:08 pm by bobjimwilly »
back to the drawing board my arse. Just not good enough for what exactly? Promotion - agreed. A mid table finish? Well, we are there so we are good enough for that.
Did you ignore the fact our latest form shows we are currently one of the best sides in the division?
Do you ignore all the injuries we've had this season?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 18, 2018, 12:30:32 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
We are just not good enough . We have been fighting fires all season and only just got away with last night , I suppose we are marginally improving with a draw from another winning position. Blair was taken off because of his mistakes . Houghton is just another wannabe and is just  not up to the job taking responsibility. Kongolo is a damp squid . We desperately need defenders and another striker to give JM a partner who can match his efforts up front. So it’s back to the drawing board FERGIE!!
2 games in the last ten home and ten away we lost from a winning position.

We are good enough for mid table. Above that and we are punching above our historical weight. But of course improvements can be made, always.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 18, 2018, 12:31:12 pm by idler »

I don't think that Rodney would like to be called a damp calamares.
Food for thought though.😉

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 18, 2018, 01:33:41 pm by GazLaz »
Fergie has put together a decent young side. He will be looking to improve the squad with a few decent additions in the summer and hoping the players here improve and mature. We are in a very strong position with the funds available.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 18, 2018, 02:17:09 pm by DMnumber4 »

I don't think that Rodney would like to be called a damp calamares.
Food for thought though.😉

A midfield crab?  :chair:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 18, 2018, 02:19:08 pm by ravenrover »
I think he has previously used the word experienced to describe some of his potential incomings next season

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 18, 2018, 04:39:35 pm by RoversAlias »

For me we need

I agree we need players in all those positions, but more importantly than most we need a proper right back. Mason has done well at times but isn't a pure full back and Blair certainly isn't. That and the midfield would be my main priorities to strengthen this summer if I was the manager.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 18, 2018, 05:15:39 pm by bobbymax »
What a load of tosh!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 18, 2018, 05:21:30 pm by The Beast »

For me we need

Pretty much agree, although getting a midfielder similar to Wellens, the best midfielder I've seen in a Rovers shirt, might be a big ask!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 18, 2018, 10:43:49 pm by dickos1 »

Just baffling

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 19, 2018, 12:17:39 am by Jonathan »
Some of the work Houghton does is really impressive even if it slips under the radar a bit. Sometimes I do think he can do more, there are times when he can be a bit braver with the choice of pass, but it’s all there in his game and it should develop with more experience and coaching. His one touch awareness is great at times. But I do think he’s better used in the middle than on the right of a diamond.

I hope we secure a longer term deal, he’d be an excellent addition. 

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 19, 2018, 06:07:20 am by Rovers91 »

For me we need

Personally, I'm happy with Mason and Blair as cover. We don't have Man City's budget so if we've got someone capable in Mason then we don't need someone else.

We need someone to compete with Mason, Blair has helped us out this season covering that position but he's a liability at right back. Not his fault tbf to him as it isn't his natural position but we can't have him as a right back next season if we want to compete especially if clubs are sniffing around Mason.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 19, 2018, 10:17:28 am by boro_rover »
We have to remember that survival/mid table was the target this year and for most of the season we have done it on a thread bare squad. It is only as we have had players come back we have started to realise some of our potential.

You can’t buy a full starting 11 squad every season so you have to prioritise where your money goes.

I don’t think we will lose Mason this year. I don’t think he would go to any championship squad and hope for any better than a place on the bench. Williams and Evina leaving will also free up a good chunk of money and hopefully the board will grant additional funds in line with trying to push on next season.

We have all felt flat and dejected at times this season. But take a step back and realise that Fergie has actually done a decent job this season and if it wasn’t for the terrible injury list I’m fairly sure we could have been sniffing around the play-offs

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 19, 2018, 06:07:38 pm by Bessie Red »
Some of the work Houghton does is really impressive even if it slips under the radar a bit. Sometimes I do think he can do more, there are times when he can be a bit braver with the choice of pass, but it’s all there in his game and it should develop with more experience and coaching. His one touch awareness is great at times. But I do think he’s better used in the middle than on the right of a diamond.

I hope we secure a longer term deal, he’d be an excellent addition. 

Best footballer we've got. Its a no brainer to sign him if we can!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012