Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:33:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joey Barton  (Read 2464 times)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
Joey Barton
« on April 18, 2018, 08:05:05 pm by StocktonRover »
Announced that he has signed a 3 year deal to take over as manager of Fleetwood the day after his gambling ban finishes on June 2nd.

Could be interesting.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BigH

• VSC Member
Re: Joey Barton
« Reply #1 on April 18, 2018, 08:42:31 pm by BigH »
That's one word for it! Not sure what the Fleetwood owner is thinking. Some would say he's been poorly advised.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 18, 2018, 08:47:35 pm by RedJ »
Apparently they have a good relationship so it's more a case of giving it to a mate than a name.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 18, 2018, 09:51:41 pm by glosterred »
This is how I like to see Barton, with the Sarg’s hands firmly around his throat!

COYR

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 18, 2018, 10:13:05 pm by RoversAlias »
JR gave the Rovers job to a mate in Dickov and that didn't work. We shall see if Barton makes the grade but his track record suggests it could be a bumpy ride considering the key aspect of management that is having a good interpersonal relationship with your players.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 19, 2018, 02:52:41 am by Bristol Red Rover »
One thing on the owners mind is the increased attention the club will get, increased gates. A gamble but then he's cast his chips in the right places so far over an epic 14 years.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 19, 2018, 10:21:29 am by boro_rover »
He has been a d**khead at times no doubt. He was out of order putting a cigar out on a youth teamer and unprofessional getting into a fight in a Mac Donald’s. I think he was unlucky to be caught gambling.

But despite his hot natured personality I think he is actually fairly intelligent and I enjoy listening to his point of view.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 19, 2018, 12:51:01 pm by phil old leake »
I’m looking forward to seeing how he does.  He is a bright bloke who has made some bad decisions. I’m thinking he might be a success.  Wonder if he’s going to sign himself.  I think it’s a shame about his behaviour. He’s been underrated in my view and could have had a few more England caps

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 19, 2018, 03:28:29 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
If he can practice what he preaches they will be in the Prem in 5 years. He seems to think he knows better than everyone when he is on TalkSport etc.

Good luck to him, at least he is giving it a go in the lower leagues and trying to prove people (like me) wrong.

I seem to remember when he had the big ban for booting Tevez that he was linked with Fleetwood on loan as they had more games early in the season and he could play sooner. Must be mates with the chairman.

Link here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/19118854

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 19, 2018, 09:06:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Barton’s one England appearance (sub against Spain) was an embarrassment. He was so far out of his depth it was untrue. There was one excruciating moment where Xavi or Iniesta turned him inside out, the red mist came down and Barton tried to take him out with a two footed lunge through the backs of his legs...but missed.

Like a Ford Transit up against Maseratis.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 19, 2018, 09:21:45 pm by drfchound »
I fondly remember the day he locked horns with Wellens at the KMS and came off second best.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 19, 2018, 10:09:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
He has been a d**khead at times no doubt. He was out of order putting a cigar out on a youth teamer and unprofessional getting into a fight in a Mac Donald’s. I think he was unlucky to be caught gambling.

But despite his hot natured personality I think he is actually fairly intelligent and I enjoy listening to his point of view.

Story was I think that the youth team lad had tried to set Barton alight and the cigar was retaliation - although as first teamer he should have known better.

Actually like Barton as a co-commentator as he does speak freely and actually quite cutting, unlike the faux outrage of Robbie Savage.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 19, 2018, 11:03:39 pm by RedJ »
f**k me though that accent. Makes me want to pierce my eardrums.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 20, 2018, 01:01:21 pm by RobTheRover »
Barton’s one England appearance (sub against Spain) was an embarrassment. He was so far out of his depth it was untrue. There was one excruciating moment where Xavi or Iniesta turned him inside out, the red mist came down and Barton tried to take him out with a two footed lunge through the backs of his legs...but missed.

He was speaking about that on Talksport last week.  Said at the time on ly Lampard and Gerrard kept him out, and if he were still playing now he would be in that England side.

I nearly crashed the car laughing.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 20, 2018, 02:27:58 pm by GazLaz »

They made better players than Barton look like that to be fair. He’s been a decent player I think and had a good career. Not a world beater but not as bad as people make out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 20, 2018, 03:16:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He was a decent player in bits. Not remotely decent international standard though.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 20, 2018, 03:28:56 pm by Pancho Regan »
Agree with that BST.

And certainly not class as an individual. 

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 20, 2018, 03:45:28 pm by mushRTID »
The bloke is a d**khead and I can’t wait for this to end in tears.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012