Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:51:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hightest level football  (Read 2727 times)

TheDonnyPop

• Forum Member
Hightest level football
« on April 20, 2018, 08:30:55 am by TheDonnyPop »
Generally interested to know, what is the highest level of football you have played at?

Recently we have had Macca posting on here and we've all seen Bentley Bullet's playing days in picture.

I know we've had someone at international squash level, but what about football?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Hightest level football
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2018, 09:09:28 am by RedJ »
I played for school... once... in a friendly... in primary school... :laugh:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2018, 09:26:09 am by The Red Baron »
I played for my college's second XI. We had some decent footballers at my school so I never made that team.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 20, 2018, 11:03:29 am by Donnywolf »
The highlight(s) of my abysmal Footballing talent are (in no particular order)

Playing (as a Sub) at Goole Towns Ground - I had played every game I had been available all Season and was left out for the Cup Final played there right at the end of the Season !

At Youth Club level the Team I was in lost 22-0 which was made worse by the fact that 2 of our Players managed to "sit their keeper down" and then turned to celebrate the goal without either of them thinking to tap the ball home - and it went wide. I have always blamed the other bloke as it may have prompted a comeback as it would have made it 1-13 at that point !

I once scored a wonder header from outside the area against Louis Jones dad (who was himself a brilliant Keeper). It went exactly in the top right corner - unstoppable - but as people told me later it would have been better to head it out for a corner by NOT putting it on target

So thats my career in three small accurate sentences !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2018, 11:14:25 am by Bentley Bullet »
I once played on the roof of Silverwood House when I was a kid.

ck-rtid

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2018, 11:36:30 am by ck-rtid »
Played 1 game in goal for ridgewood comp v don valley we lost 10-1! Got better as I got older thankfully and played some games in the army

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 20, 2018, 11:43:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dearne Sunday League Division 2.

Didn’t require much skill on the ball but it did require some ability to negotiate your way out of certain situations.

Also I played for Mexborough School who won the English Schools FA Cup. Admittedly they didn’t win it the year I played...

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 20, 2018, 02:55:48 pm by keith79 »
I have never played at a high level but I have watched. The champions league final and world cup final many times. All on TV.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2018, 03:05:14 pm by foxbat »
some Left back / Left half appearances for Hawthorn Juniors in 1962/63 season

some left sided appearances for Dalton House at Danum Grammar until about 1966.

Football nowhere near as fashionable then.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 20, 2018, 03:44:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
Was top scorer for Intake in the Doncaster Intermediate League U18's (as it was back in the day) and played against Mike Elwiss once, who I think at the time played for Donny College U18's.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 20, 2018, 04:55:29 pm by Hounslowrover »
Top goal scorer for my junior school team, Fieldside in Thorne. I played full back and we lost the first game 12 -1, I scored. It was the only goal we scored all year!!

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 20, 2018, 07:16:35 pm by Scooter »
I had brief spells in the Sunday Alliance League Premier and I played for Bradway in the South Yorkshire amateur league. Spent a few years in the lower divisions of the Sunday alliance Also won a regional cup playing for the air training corps South Yorkshire side.
I had a chance to play more regularly on a Saturday afternoon but it clashed with Rovers matches so I couldn’t be arsed playing anymore

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 20, 2018, 07:17:04 pm by turnbull for england »
Top goal scorer for my junior school team, Fieldside in Thorne. I played full back and we lost the first game 12 -1, I scored. It was the only goal we scored all year!! We played Fieldside as I went to King Edward

ch-ch rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 20, 2018, 07:37:31 pm by ch-ch rover »
Foxbat when you were playing for Hawthorn juniors i may have been in the same team

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 20, 2018, 08:08:21 pm by scawsby steve »
I played for school... once... in a friendly... in primary school... :laugh:
;

A bit like me, RedJ; although I did go for trials with Toll Bar raggy-arse Wanderers; I didn't make it, they told me my shorts looked too smart.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 20, 2018, 08:25:58 pm by the vicar »
I played against the Rovers at Eden grove in a pro celeb match in the ian Miller days.  I also played rugby league for Featherstone rovers back in the day

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 20, 2018, 08:41:34 pm by BiargeBob »
Foxbat & Ch-Ch Rover, I played for Hawthorn in 1959, we got a brand new kit black & white stripes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 20, 2018, 09:53:10 pm by dickos1 »
Played for rovers upto 16 and then signed for Barnsley.
Played for Hatfield main, rosso main and Thorne colliery.
Scored in the fa cup for rosso against Radcliffe boro.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 20, 2018, 10:20:18 pm by essexrover »
Played 1 game in goal for ridgewood comp v don valley we lost 10-1! Got better as I got older thankfully and played some games in the army
I might have played against you in that game. What year are you talking about,  Don Valley battered Ridgewood so many times I lose track  :)

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 20, 2018, 10:39:30 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
I wore Bobby Kerr's shirt playing for Sunderland London Supporters branch about 1982 I think it was on Hackney Marshes. Think I heard the odd refrain of 'he's here- he's there- he's every f'ing where Bobby Kerr, Bobby Kerr. The Sunderland club kindly donated their whole kit to the London Supporters. It was fun but I was a rugby and cricket player really.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 21, 2018, 08:07:26 am by Guernsey Exile »
I had brief spells in the Sunday Alliance League Premier and I played for Bradway in the South Yorkshire amateur league. Spent a few years in the lower divisions of the Sunday alliance Also won a regional cup playing for the air training corps South Yorkshire side.
I had a chance to play more regularly on a Saturday afternoon but it clashed with Rovers matches so I couldn’t be arsed playing anymore
What years did you play for ATC South Yorkshire. I played for 103 for about 5 years. I had trials at wing level (at hayfield school back in the day) never made it though

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 21, 2018, 08:27:41 am by andysly »
Won the Navy cup, played for Navy youth, got selected to play for and scored for Hampshire U18 (just one game).
Played for Retford United, Retford Rail & Eaton Hall in Central Midlands league, Lincolnshire League.
Collingham in Central Midlands Supreme.
Oh and Doncaster Retro Rovers 😉

auckleyflyer

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 21, 2018, 09:01:28 am by auckleyflyer »
Got my fleet colours playing for Portsmouth command in the navy cup. Lost to marines in the final 1991. Was well aware of the full stand of spectators it was scary. Was only 18tho. Went on to play for all the ships I was on, then briefly for finno on leaving navy. Finished at 37 on the trip to Herten on the rovers community trip to our German twin cities.
Not kicked a ball since think my ankles would shatter at the though of it!

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 21, 2018, 09:10:45 am by andysly »
My Navy Cup was Collingwood vs Fisgard in 82.
0-2 down, won 4-2. I was switched from midfield to centre back at HT they never got a kick ha ha.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 21, 2018, 09:44:19 am by dickos1 »
I was playing for Hatfield main once against north ferriby, they’d won the title, we’d been relegated. They had their biggest gate of the season, around 700. My mates came to watch and two of them ended up on the bench.
We lost 9-0 and the manager got sacked during the game, and he asked us to throw our shirts in the centre circle as a protest,
Wasn’t a nice experience that!

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 21, 2018, 10:19:27 pm by RedRover45 »
While on holiday in the Maldives in 1995, the Maldives national team was training on our island. We got together a group of holidaymakers, a mixture of Brits, Germans and Dutch to play them and proceeded to beat them 9-7 and yours truly scored twice.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012