Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:16:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Players not good enough on todays showing  (Read 9810 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Players not good enough on todays showing
« Reply #60 on April 21, 2018, 09:34:30 pm by dickos1 »
You wouldn’t have made the post you did if you hadn’t a problem with Ferguson.
Nowhere have I suggested we’re on rations, just simply stated we are not dining at the same table as we were then.
Also fact

You have no idea what my motovation was to make that post. You have made up my motivation.

I did not claim you said we were on rations. This is something you have made up.
I have a pretty good idea comrade,

I think it would be pretty hard to find a post of yours that isn’t having a sly or not so sly dig at him.

And in my opinion no way is our budget top 8, and even if it was, stevie wonder could see it’s nothing like the one we had in most of those years you’re trying to compare this season to

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 21, 2018, 09:51:10 pm by RedJ »
Nowhere have I suggested we’re on rations, just simply stated we are not dining at the same table as we were then.
Also fact

Sorry Dickos you could be right but you can’t say fact because it’s not published in the public domain.

What’s not??
We were signing players like hayter, o Connor, wellens, roberts,

We’re now signing youngsters!

This is in the public domain

Weird that, a manager known for taking a punt on younger players to flog for big bucks signing young players that can be developed to probably sell on at a profit, eh...

Why is it weird?
So you’re saying if he had the money that Penney and sod had he’d still be signing youngsters with no experience of this level?
I’m pretty sure he’d be signing experienced top notch league one players just as Penney and sod did

The man has a history of signing young players. Why does it strike you as a sign of our budget that he is doing what he's always done?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 21, 2018, 10:04:28 pm by silent majority »
Also fact

You have no idea what my motovation was to make that post. You have made up my motivation.

I did not claim you said we were on rations. This is something you have made up.

I think it would be pretty hard to find a post of yours that isn’t having a sly or not so sly dig at him.

And in my opinion no way is our budget top 8, and even if it was, stevie wonder could see it’s nothing like the one we had in most of those years you’re trying to compare this season to

And not for the first time you would be wrong. We definitely have a budget firmly in the top 10 and by careful evaluation you can ascertain that we sit somewhere about 8th place. If you spend as much time talking to people at the EFL as I do then you can work out the exact position. The transfer windows have a habit of upsetting the pecking order but it soon becomes apparent where you are. The EFL even tell each club where they are in terms of budget.

You could take my word at face value, or you could wait about 18 months for all clubs to publish their accounts, but it will become apparent sooner or later.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 21, 2018, 10:24:16 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Bet it'll come down when Williams goes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on April 21, 2018, 10:36:41 pm by Filo »
May had a good game today not his fault nothing came from midfield they was crap

You were n't at the same game as me if you think that, he was awful, muscled out of everything, he is not a L1 player

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on April 21, 2018, 10:51:17 pm by dickos1 »
Also fact

And not for the first time you would be wrong. We definitely have a budget firmly in the top 10 and by careful evaluation you can ascertain that we sit somewhere about 8th place. If you spend as much time talking to people at the EFL as I do then you can work out the exact position. The transfer windows have a habit of upsetting the pecking order but it soon becomes apparent where you are. The EFL even tell each club where they are in terms of budget.

You could take my word at face value, or you could wait about 18 months for all clubs to publish their accounts, but it will become apparent sooner or later.

Don’t start with all the condescending nonsense Martin

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on April 21, 2018, 10:53:56 pm by dickos1 »
Also fact

Sorry Dickos you could be right but you can’t say fact because it’s not published in the public domain.

What’s not??

Weird that, a manager known for taking a punt on younger players to flog for big bucks signing young players that can be developed to probably sell on at a profit, eh...

Why is it weird?
So you’re saying if he had the money that Penney and sod had he’d still be signing youngsters with no experience of this level?
I’m pretty sure he’d be signing experienced top notch league one players just as Penney and sod did

The man has a history of signing young players. Why does it strike you as a sign of our budget that he is doing what he's always done?

He also has a history of spending a lot more money on players than he has done for us.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on April 21, 2018, 10:55:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
But again, budget comparisons are all relative and it doesn't tell the whole story. It's not necessarily how big it is but how you use it (or waste it whichever way you want to look at it)

A fair amount of this seasons budget has been taken up with players who have no future and long term injuries. Sure, every team will have their fair of injuries and that's where you need a bit of luck to stay relatively injury free, especially to key players.

I'm more concerned about how players progress/develop. I don't think DF has the same coaching skills as SO'D but he may have advantages in other areas. I can't say there's many players that have improved under DF and the mental toughness seems to be lacking at times.

As said, with departing players, it should free up decent funds for DF to get some quality in key areas.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on April 21, 2018, 11:43:13 pm by stuey »
May had a good game today not his fault nothing came from midfield they was crap

Is that a joke??? May was the worse player on the pitch by a country mile

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on April 22, 2018, 12:16:54 am by Bentley Bullet »

Is that a joke??? May was the worse player on the pitch by a country mile

Absolute rubbish........... Your comment, not May's performance. He did nothing wrong. He got absolutely no service.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 22, 2018, 09:26:40 am by Alan Southstand »
Have you got Alcock blindness?

The next worst player was the entire midfield!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 22, 2018, 09:44:36 am by silent majority »
Also fact

Don’t start with all the condescending nonsense Martin

You shouldn't make claims that you can't support.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on April 22, 2018, 09:57:24 am by dickos1 »
I haven’t

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 22, 2018, 10:41:55 am by RedJ »
Also fact

What’s not??

Why is it weird?

He also has a history of spending a lot more money on players than he has done for us.

So we didn't spend six figures on Ben Whiteman? a lot would argue that's a lot of money at this level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 22, 2018, 10:55:36 am by dickos1 »
Also fact

What’s not??

Why is it weird?

So we didn't spend six figures on Ben Whiteman? a lot would argue that's a lot of money at this level.

Your right some would, but you’re changing the arguement.
Ferguson spent millions at Peterborough much more money than we’ve ever spent.
So it’s not the case that he’s known for taking a punt on youngsters. And he’s certainly not following the model he had at Peterborough with us.
In his second spell he spent around 8 million just on transfer fees alone.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on April 22, 2018, 11:01:13 am by The Red Baron »
Dickos- you seem to be saying that Fergie is a  "chequebook manager." If that's the case, he doesn't really fit our business model.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on April 22, 2018, 11:03:43 am by DonnyOsmond »
That was mostly reinvestments from players sold. If we sold Beestin for £5million, I'm sure we'd use some of that to strengthening the team again and potentially sign a player worth a million or so.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on April 22, 2018, 11:05:52 am by dickos1 »
Dickos- you seem to be saying that Fergie is a  "chequebook manager." If that's the case, he doesn't really fit our business model.

I’m not, I’m just pointing out he’s not doing now what he did at Peterborough

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on April 22, 2018, 11:07:21 am by Jonathan »
Players worth a million would cost too much in wages to bring them here, even if we had the means to pay the fee.

I’d like to see us source players with the potential to increase in value. I’m sure there must be plenty of targets out there.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on April 22, 2018, 11:11:04 am by dickos1 »
That was mostly reinvestments from players sold. If we sold Beestin for £5million, I'm sure we'd use some of that to strengthening the team again and potentially sign a player worth a million or so.

I agree,

Clubs don’t spend money like they did then though, Peterborough were selling players for 5-6 million in league one.
And buying players for 1-2 million on quite a regular basis.
Doesn’t really happen now

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on April 22, 2018, 11:18:44 am by DonnyOsmond »

I agree,

Clubs don’t spend money like they did then though, Peterborough were selling players for 5-6 million in league one.

Thing is though he needs to sign the players to find that one gem, if May turned into the next Charlie Austin then he would be the start of that but unfortunately it doesn't look like it, he just needs to keep signing those unknown quantities and hopefully one of them turns out to be a gem.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on April 22, 2018, 11:22:21 am by dickos1 »
Yes I agree, mason has the potential to go for a big fee as does beestin, whiteman, Wright, McCullough and houghton if we sign him

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on April 22, 2018, 12:35:27 pm by RoversAlias »
I’d like to see us source players with the potential to increase in value. I’m sure there must be plenty of targets out there.

Players like Mason, Whiteman, Lawlor, Wright, Houghton and Marquis?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on April 22, 2018, 12:46:40 pm by RedJ »

I agree,

So you agree that he signed players for Peterborough to sell on at a profit which funded these massive fees, yet he's not doing what he did at Peterborough? which is it? :laugh:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on April 22, 2018, 12:52:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Marquis came to us an OK League Two striker now he's got 14 in League One and definitely established at this level. His value must have sky rocketed.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on April 22, 2018, 01:01:03 pm by dickos1 »

I agree,

So you agree that he signed players for Peterborough to sell on at a profit which funded these massive fees, yet he's not doing what he did at Peterborough? which is it? :laugh:

It’s not the case I’m afraid, the first two seasons he spent almost 8 million and recouped about half of that.
So yes he was spending money on youngesters but they were very expensive youngsters.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 22, 2018, 01:34:17 pm by RedJ »
But you said if he had money he'd be signing experienced players... yet, when he did have money, he spent it on youngsters?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on April 22, 2018, 01:55:08 pm by dickos1 »
He didn’t though
He spend well over a million on Tyrone Barnett, half a million on Michael bostwick,  I remember he once signed Torres from Wycombe.

My only point was that if he had the money sod and Penney had then he’d be signing more experienced players. Never said he wouldn’t sign any youngsters.
But he’d definitely be signing players in their mid twenties with lots of experience at this level

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 22, 2018, 02:29:52 pm by Jonathan »

Players like Mason, Whiteman, Lawlor, Wright, Houghton and Marquis?

Yes, exactly. I certainly wasn’t suggesting we hadn’t done that already to some degree.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012