Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:06:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: When was the last time you really enjoyed a home game?  (Read 6386 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: When was the last time you really enjoyed a home game?
« Reply #30 on April 24, 2018, 10:23:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
Agreed, SOD had much more talented, experienced and expensive players, and without similar financial investment now I can't see how the club can progress.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 24, 2018, 10:31:52 am by phil old leake »
I’ll enjoy tonight.  We will do em

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 24, 2018, 10:40:27 am by foxbat »
To answer the question - I really enjoyed the Fleetwood town game.
A couple of poor results do not define a season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 24, 2018, 11:08:53 am by RoversAlias »
Every team plays nice passing moves at times. I'm talking about the consistency of them. To compare this current Fergies Rovers team to SODS is quite a far-fetched analogy. To be blunt, there's no comparison.

Like you say, passing football is the way of the game nowadays, but sadly, Rovers are generally poor at it. It's not only the stray passes that let us down, it's all too often the slowness of their delivery. Most of our play is anticipated by the opposition. There is hardly any element of surprise. That's why our strikers struggle. They are crowded out by the time they get the ball.

Yes indeed, my original point though was in response to German Rover saying he doesn't like us to play "pass pass pass", when patient build-up football has worked wonders in recent seasons at the top of the game.

Clearly we don't do it anywhere near as well as those teams but I think we try to play the right way and when it works we look a very good side.

Park Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 24, 2018, 11:44:33 am by Park Rover »
Not seen an exciting game for some time at the Keepmoat. Definitely not whilst Ferguson has been here. I find his style of football boring. Constantly passing backwards, too narrow and no pace in attack
The most exciting game I’ve seen at the Keepmoat was Crewe at home in the JPT when we went on to win it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 24, 2018, 01:14:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not seen an exciting game for some time at the Keepmoat. Definitely not whilst Ferguson has been here. I find his style of football boring. Constantly passing backwards, too narrow and no pace in attack
The most exciting game I’ve seen at the Keepmoat was Crewe at home in the JPT when we went on to win it.

I know it’s not exactly a laugh a minute at the moment but it’s strange to claim there has been now excitement under Ferguson.

Dutch Uncle posted in the fanzine last year that 2016/17 was the fourth highest goals scored tally in our history, we had a run of 6 successive home wins for the first time in 14 years and we went 22 home games unbeaten from the end of 15/16 to near the end of 16/17.

Out of those, the home game vs Portsmouth stood out as a quite superb match.

I expected it to be more of a slog this season. It was in 04/05 after we’d gone up and the squad was workmanlike but not scintillating at the higher level.

Do we expect too much sometimes?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 24, 2018, 03:14:49 pm by RedJ »
Anyone who thought last season was boring will be very difficult to please.

This season, you could say it's been boring - and Christ has it - but to say he's never put exciting football on show is nonsense.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 24, 2018, 03:30:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Some of us do expect too much sometimes, but what could be more damaging is those of us who expect too little.

What would be the point in the club investing in a better team if we were all happy and contented with the way we are?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 24, 2018, 03:45:51 pm by idler »
Had we put two or three of our chances away on Saturday fans would remember the good bits rather than the bad.
When we play well or even average but draw or lose then frustration gets the better of some.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 24, 2018, 04:48:21 pm by dickos1 »

Two 3-3 games, two 3-0 victories and a 4-1 victory

You must not have been in attendance

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 24, 2018, 10:00:29 pm by northern soul »
I enjoyed tonight. Despite the result.
Good hard honest graft.
Unlucky to lose after being level at half time.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 24, 2018, 10:04:56 pm by rich1471 »
tonight was really good battled all the way against a very good team

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 24, 2018, 10:12:38 pm by Filo »
Tonight, cracking game

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 24, 2018, 10:22:45 pm by roversdude »
Yep ageee

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 24, 2018, 10:31:23 pm by drfchound »
Yep ageee

Just got home, I came on to say how much I enjoyed the game  tonight.
Unlucky to lose.
Real gritty performance from our lads.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 24, 2018, 10:35:12 pm by Cantley Rover »
Enjoyed the game after the first 20 minutes where we were given the runaround but don't let's get carried away. We weren't unlucky to lose. The best team won.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 24, 2018, 10:36:24 pm by dickos1 »
I think everybody has said the best team won, but that doesn’t take anything away from our performance

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 24, 2018, 10:37:42 pm by drfchound »
Enjoyed the game after the first 20 minutes where we were given the runaround but don't let's get carried away. We weren't unlucky to lose. The best team won.

Yes, the best team did win but we defended valiantly throughout the game.
Butler deserved his mom award.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 24, 2018, 10:42:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So what's the difference? Keeping the ball moving, playing with purpose, fitness, intelligence?

Is it just down to the quality of players on show or a collective team performance?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 24, 2018, 10:44:13 pm by Padge_DRFC »
There was more Blackburn fans tonight than us I wonder what crow they will announce though

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 24, 2018, 10:47:31 pm by Campsall rover »
10.443 gate.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on April 24, 2018, 10:58:43 pm by Donnywolf »
There was more Blackburn fans tonight than us I wonder what crow they will announce though

A right Carrion at the end - Choughs invading the Pitch - positively Raven I was !

Cheers Jay T

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 24, 2018, 11:14:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
Yes, enjoyable to watch but the bottom line is we have lots of work to do in the summer.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 24, 2018, 11:26:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Do we? I think 3 quality players, plus a bit of back-up should put us in a strong position. I'll not blabber on as we've covered this in another thread.

As Fergies said, we've not scored enough goals. Despite our centre half crisis and the swapping and changing of full backs, we haven't conceded that many goals. Even the defensive Massiah, according to some, Steven Taylor, has not prevented Peterbrough conceding more.

It shouldn't take that much to swing the balance to more goals for and less against and that should give us a great chance of play-offs at least. Over to you DF and the board for setting the budget to get that additional quality.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 25, 2018, 03:25:53 am by scawsby steve »
Do we? I think 3 quality players, plus a bit of back-up should put us in a strong position. I'll not blabber on as we've covered this in another thread.

As Fergies said, we've not scored enough goals. Despite our centre half crisis and the swapping and changing of full backs, we haven't conceded that many goals. Even the defensive Massiah, according to some, Steven Taylor, has not prevented Peterbrough conceding more.

It shouldn't take that much to swing the balance to more goals for and less against and that should give us a great chance of play-offs at least. Over to you DF and the board for setting the budget to get that additional quality.

3 won't be enough; either to cover for the horrendous injury list we seem to get every season, or to push for the play-offs. We need 5 at the very least.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 25, 2018, 05:55:33 am by roversdude »
One of our main priorities should be an experienced midfield general we lose shape easily at times

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 25, 2018, 07:26:39 am by phil old leake »
Last night.  Really enjoyed it.  Lads did well against a quality team.  At one point I thought we might hold out for the nil nil

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 25, 2018, 09:36:58 am by bobbymax »
Our biggest miss this season has been Andrew. After losing a tackle in the first minute last night, I thought Mason was excellent but the kid has been playing all season out of position. As for midfield, give McCollough a full pre-season and find a formation for Whiteman and/or Houghton to play alongside and we'll be solid enough.
On the original topic, Blackburn are a Championship team in essence and should be with the money spent. They shouldn't have got relegated last year so full marks to the real Rovers for keeping them out for 80 minutes with a mixture of graft and good luck. Though we had a couple of goal-line blocks, I don't really remember Marosi making any outstanding saves and that's credit to Baudry, Butler and the rest of the defence.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012