Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:37:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Wigan game  (Read 2990 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Wigan game
« on May 02, 2018, 10:01:18 am by selby »
  At least it is not a rearranged game, I can't remember us winning one of those, and have had nightmares about them since the Charlton game.
   I cannot hazard a guess to what team we may put out for this game after last night, and it could easily be the last time we see any of our loan players, including Houghton(I hope not) and Baudry who I definitely would sign again.
  Add Williams and Alcock, who have had their time with us interrupted by bad injuries, and in some ways the last game of the season is a sad time, but a time of hope for us supporters for the next season.
  One thing we will have to do is up our game, against the best league team I have seen this season, who gave us a roasting in the return fixture at their place.
   So, big questions to answer for this game,
   What would your team be?
    How much tinkering will Fergie do with the side this week?
    Can we play a part in where the championship goes by winning?
    Will we the supporters turn out in numbers?
    And the big question, can we score a goal?
     Please have your say, and thanks for all your comments on the games, I have found it interesting, I hope you have, and have a great summer break.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Lets talk about the Wigan game
« Reply #1 on May 02, 2018, 05:01:30 pm by selby »
   Reading their forum, it seems they have sold their allocation of 4111 tickets  for the game, and an evening kick off should once again mean traffic problems around the car parks.
 Their supporters are also worried that Sunderland are going to make a move for Paul Cook their manager, which is not going down well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 03, 2018, 05:42:42 pm by selby »
  I hope the baby that caused us so much trouble in our first game, has kept their father awake all this week.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 04, 2018, 08:52:38 am by selby »
  Only one day left for my fix of the last match of the season, and it looks as if I am the only one interested, the last game causing quite a discussion still.
   It is interesting to note that both managers Fergie and Cook are being linked in the media with the Sunderland job, although the Sheffield United manager is the favourite with the bookies according to radio Talksport.
   Listening to Michael Grey on talksport about Sunderlands finances it is probably a job to avoid lads, even with the bung of money from the premiership this season.  They could well be a club in big financial trouble a year from now if they don't go straight back up, and make our spat about budgets look silly.
   Can we finish wit a good result?it will be difficult, we are not on our game, goals have dried up, and confidence looks low, we could win then being Doncaster Rovers.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 04, 2018, 08:55:44 am by silent majority »
If the deal goes through the debt is being written off isn't it?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 04, 2018, 09:31:52 am by selby »
 Yes SM, but their wage bill this season is £25 million plus, and some of the big earners are under contract for at least the next two seasons, and it is their last season  of parachute payments.
   The worth of the person taking over is estimated at only "ahem" £8 million and if they don't get promotion straight away he was questioning whether the club would be able to avoid administration. It did not sound good, and the club are now having to cut costs drastically by making support staff redundant.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 05, 2018, 06:57:52 am by rich1471 »
I did read jack Rodwell wages drop from 70k a week to 43k for a league 1 player they will be in real trouble if they don't go straight up

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 05, 2018, 07:45:12 am by Bezza »
it could go pear shaped for Wigan next season, they don`t attract big crowds with Manchester on the door step,when they lose their parachute payments we will see.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 05, 2018, 08:19:17 am by selby »
  I don't know if Wigan have Parachute payments this season Bezza, but certainly it is getting harder for teams that get promotion, but I would hope they do well next season.
   Both Wigan and Blackburn being the top two teams, plus Rotherham the other relegated side being in the playoffs, when I thought they would really struggle, would suggest that a gap is starting to appear in the two divisions much like the one between the premiership and the championship.
  It will be interesting to see our line up today, Baudry leaving will not improve our playing ability next season, together with Coppinger ,Rowe, and Butler he was one of our better players.
   On the plus side, in a game that has not a lot riding on it, against the best side in the division, it gives our younger players a chance to see if they are capable of stepping up to the plate, and show us just what they can do.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 05, 2018, 09:55:19 am by The Red Baron »
I hope Copps is able to play some part today. Also would love to see Danny Amos being given a start. It'll be a test for him, but nothing huge is riding on the game from our point of view.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 05, 2018, 10:09:22 am by Dare to dream! »
the line up will be very interesting today

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 05, 2018, 01:40:39 pm by ravenrover »
Is it too early for Andrews to start?
If Houghton doesn't start is that a sign that he isn't coming back
Will Copps play any part
Tune in tonight for another thrilling adventure of End of Season Donny

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 06, 2018, 09:51:31 am by selby »
   My last post in the series that started earlier  this season.
 I thought we played OK, battled away, but were second best as a team, probably conceded a unlucky goal ( was it onside?) but Wigan exposed our lack of attacking play, and deserved to win.
   Whether  we can develop into the sort of unit Wigan are is open to debate, but really, there are parts of the team,  (goalkeepers and the back four) that have played much better this season than last, and I think that most of us supporters are in broad agreement as to where the  team needs strengthening.
   Until it became common knowledge why Fergie was not at the match, it caused quite a bit of speculation around where I sit, but once it was known why, of course it is understandable and we all wish  him well.
  We need a good closed season, as well as good recruitment, especially up front, we need Andrews to get fit, some of our younger players to kick on, and just as importantly, hang on to our better players such as Marquis, Rowe, and Mason who may attract bids from bigger clubs.
   It's time for us to regroup now, no doubt much speculation will carry on being wrote about on this Forum( I hope so anyway) and we will come back full of hope for the coming season (or not in some cases I suppose), we will all have our own ideas as to what we should or should not be doing, bit like Lemmings  most of us will be back next season god willing.
     I hope you all have a great summer break, and hope to see you at the KM next season.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 06, 2018, 08:52:21 pm by scawsby steve »
   My last post in the series that started earlier  this season.
 I thought we played OK, battled away, but were second best as a team, probably conceded a unlucky goal ( was it onside?) but Wigan exposed our lack of attacking play, and deserved to win.
   Whether  we can develop into the sort of unit Wigan are is open to debate, but really, there are parts of the team,  (goalkeepers and the back four) that have played much better this season than last, and I think that most of us supporters are in broad agreement as to where the  team needs strengthening.
   Until it became common knowledge why Fergie was not at the match, it caused quite a bit of speculation around where I sit, but once it was known why, of course it is understandable and we all wish  him well.
  We need a good closed season, as well as good recruitment, especially up front, we need Andrews to get fit, some of our younger players to kick on, and just as importantly, hang on to our better players such as Marquis, Rowe, and Mason who may attract bids from bigger clubs.
   It's time for us to regroup now, no doubt much speculation will carry on being wrote about on this Forum( I hope so anyway) and we will come back full of hope for the coming season (or not in some cases I suppose), we will all have our own ideas as to what we should or should not be doing, bit like Lemmings  most of us will be back next season god willing.
     I hope you all have a great summer break, and hope to see you at the KM next season.

We all hope to hear from you again next season, Brian, and that you'll remember to write "Andrew" instead of "Andrews", and "McCullough" instead of "McCollough"; have a good summer mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 06, 2018, 09:35:00 pm by selby »
  Steve, I must have been  writing about their cousins, ha ha,   

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 09, 2018, 03:50:48 pm by bobjimwilly »
final Man of the match poll now up --> https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=266137.0
(sorry about delay :chair: )

TinyPortal © 2005-2012