Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:02:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Matchday programme  (Read 7004 times)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
Matchday programme
« on May 23, 2018, 02:59:15 pm by CottyRover »
Item on DROS now with a survey asking whether programmes should still be produced after the 18/19 season. I think it would be a shame if they were discontinued, but I must say I rarely buy one. Most of the information you can get from the website and the team line UPS can be accessed  several other ways, and the exact line-up at that. Might increase Popular Stand sales!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Matchday programme
« Reply #1 on May 23, 2018, 03:12:30 pm by since-1969 »
Simple economics costly to produce .
 It will add value to Everyone’s collections so there is an up side .

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 23, 2018, 05:39:57 pm by The Red Baron »
The survey appears to be one question with a yes/ no answer. While it is important to get that information before the EFL vote, I think it might be good to consider what supporters might want from the programme in future. Making them smaller, more basic and cheaper to both produce and buy strikes me as a way forward.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 23, 2018, 05:59:56 pm by DRNaith »
The survey appears to be one question with a yes/ no answer. While it is important to get that information before the EFL vote, I think it might be good to consider what supporters might want from the programme in future. Making them smaller, more basic and cheaper to both produce and buy strikes me as a way forward.

...or even digital

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 23, 2018, 06:28:15 pm by The Red Baron »

...or even digital

I think you can download a pdf version of our programme at the moment. The point is, do you go totally online / digital or do you retain something in a hard copy format. Personally I will be sorry if the hard copy no longer exists, although ultimately I realised this is an issue of cost, revenue and demand.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 23, 2018, 07:20:32 pm by DRNaith »
As an exile I remember when going to a game was the only time you would pick-up any Rovers news. Sometimes through chatting with supporters and sometimes through the club programme.

Times have changed

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 23, 2018, 08:10:09 pm by godlike1 »
Programs can become collectors items and act as a memory of special games, so I'd be disappointed to see them go. Maybe if they made the programme more memorable and innovative then it could have more appeal. What we have is ok but v run of the mill

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 23, 2018, 08:35:48 pm by hamiltonrover »
I am a programme collector and would be gutted if we stopped producing one. We possibly have the worst in our division which doesn’t help, if someone actually put a bit of thought into it and spent a bit of time selling advertising you shouldn’t lose money. The programme we produced in 85/86 was one of the best in terms of content, replicate that !

Think about this, the fanzine gets produced and sold for £1 with little advertisement and makes a profit which goes to charity, ok it’s not as glossy as a programme, however it shows what is achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 23, 2018, 09:19:42 pm by StocktonRover »
I am a programme collector and would be gutted if we stopped producing one. We possibly have the worst in our division which doesn’t help, if someone actually put a bit of thought into it and spent a bit of time selling advertising you shouldn’t lose money. The programme we produced in 85/86 was one of the best in terms of content, replicate that !

Think about this, the fanzine gets produced and sold for £1 with little advertisement and makes a profit which goes to charity, ok it’s not as glossy as a programme, however it shows what is achievable.

I too am a Rovers programme collector and echo the above comments.
I really hope that we continue with printed programmes but increase the quality of the content.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 23, 2018, 09:40:54 pm by RedRover45 »

I too am a Rovers programme collector and echo the above comments.
I really hope that we continue with printed programmes but increase the quality of the content.

Thirded. I'm also a Rovers programme collector and would be really pissed off if they stopped producing one. I agree ours is the worst in our division this season and it would be better to produce a smaller cheaper programme such as Fleetwood do. They only charge a quid. How hard can it be ?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 24, 2018, 08:16:40 am by The Red Baron »
I've been writing for the programme for the last couple of seasons and I'm sure the team producing it would be open to suggestions about how it could be improved.

Next season my idea was to write a series of articles about squad numbers, which Rovers first introduced in 2002-03. Any ideas on this would be most welcome.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 24, 2018, 08:28:35 am by wesisback »
That survey is abysmal. Surely the first question they should be asking is 'Do you buy a Matchday programme?'. I've clicked yes to the one question they've asked me but I've not bought one for at least 3 years.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:33:51 am by wesisback »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 24, 2018, 08:30:57 am by The Red Baron »
That survey is abysmal. Surely the first question they should be asking is 'Do you but a Matchday programme?'. I've clicked yes to the one question they've asked me but I've not bought one for at least 3 years.

I agree, the survey needs a lot more thought.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 24, 2018, 10:19:22 am by VivaRovers »
Might increase Popular Stand sales!

I wouldn't expect it to make any difference to be honest. We are very different publications.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 24, 2018, 10:24:54 am by VivaRovers »

Aye, but we only produce six a season, not twenty-six. So we can, to a point, rely on volunteer contributors to pen considered pieces for us on a regular basis. If I asked the same people to write something every week they wouldn't be able to do it as they've other commitments, and so we wouldn't have as good a publication.

I write a regular column for the Belles programme and I've struggled to make time to do that for them, and they only put out 12 programmes a season.

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 24, 2018, 10:42:49 am by ReadingViking »
www.cu-fc.com/news/2018/may/us-to-provide-programmes-for-all/

Interesting take on it. 

The club could produce a simple 4-8 page programme - funded by advertisers and give it away at the turnstyles.

or the little leaflet type that York used to do in the 80s.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 24, 2018, 10:55:07 am by DaveDRFC »
When I've been to matches in Europe they have just given away a little magazine rather than selling a programme. I went to a Roma vs Bayern Munich Champions League game a few years back and people were taking about 10 each of these magazines from the guys giving them out. I wondered what was going on until I got in the ground. The seats were absolutely filthy and people were using the free magazines to cover the seats so they didn't get dirty clothes!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 24, 2018, 12:01:33 pm by MachoMadness »
I'd be sorry to see the physical programmes go. I don't always buy them but I used to regularly as a kid. However, I can see why the club might be thinking of getting rid of them in the modern age from a business point of view, but it's still a shame.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 24, 2018, 12:37:18 pm by glosterred »
www.cu-fc.com/news/2018/may/us-to-provide-programmes-for-all/

Interesting take on it. 

The club could produce a simple 4-8 page programme - funded by advertisers and give it away at the turnstyles.

or the little leaflet type that York used to do in the 80s.

The trouble with give away programmes is that most of the end up littering the stadium and the surrounding area after the game. We’ve seen this time and again when the Rovers have given away programmes at games.

COYR

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 24, 2018, 06:26:12 pm by hamiltonrover »

Aye, but we only produce six a season, not twenty-six. So we can, to a point, rely on volunteer contributors to pen considered pieces for us on a regular basis. If I asked the same people to write something every week they wouldn't be able to do it as they've other commitments, and so we wouldn't have as good a publication.

I write a regular column for the Belles programme and I've struggled to make time to do that for them, and they only put out 12 programmes a season.
I appreciate that, however it’s just an example, a lot of what is in a programme is rinse and repeat, there are very few articles of interest in our programme that differ from game to game.
I am happy to contribute to the programme and made a suggestion of looking back at programmes from seasons gone by based on the opposition, but got no response.
Fleetwood for me is a good example, I think this season it was £2, it doesn’t have to be 48 pages of dross.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 25, 2018, 05:44:35 pm by silent majority »
I had a conversation with the EFL today and this very subject cropped up. It's clear that some of this has been misreported and needs clarification.

Up until now there has been some nationally agreed advertising that has required every club to reproduce in their programmes. As of next season that requirement will be removed. Some clubs claim they only produce programmes to meet that obligation. Those that no longer want to produce a programme won't have to.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 26, 2018, 09:19:45 am by The Red Baron »
I'll be interested to see which club is the first to stop issuing a hard copy programme for each game. I suspect it won't happen next season because of the need to consult fans over such a big change. What we might see next season are some programmes that look a bit different to what is produced now.

PS. Actually I think it's possible that some clubs might not issue programmes for the early games in the Checkatrade, which tend to be poorly attended. You could probably give everyone who wanted one a team sheet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:22:03 am by The Red Baron »

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 27, 2018, 01:50:42 pm by AlonzoDrake »
Nice to read that Hamiltonrover. I was part of a programme committee, set up by Peter Wetzel, and was involved in the production/writing/editing/printing of the programme for four seasons from 1984 until 1988. That 1985/86 Rovers programme won a programme collectors award. But by 1987/88 the club was experiencing financial problems, and the content was slashed, size was reduced, and more ads were included. Shortly afterwards the internet became established and for the past generation matchday programmes have slowly become obsolete. Sad really, but during the 140 years or so they were published they injdeed were one of the few ways of gaining information. Local radio then made a vast improvement in that area, but sadly we have always been the poor relations at Radio Sheffield and Hallam. But one memory really sticks from 1973. I had heard Radio Sheffield had started broadcasting Rovers score updates, and tuned in -- Nov 14, 1973 v Exeter C. away -- and to my amazement they were interviewing Maurice Setters, and he said he was heading to St James park to take both points! But we hardly ever won away back then -- but we did that day! Exeter 1 Rovers 2 (Murray O'Callaghan). But we still had to seek re-election to the League that season!

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 27, 2018, 02:05:56 pm by craigdrfc »
Alonzo - The programmes during the mid 80’s were the best we have ever had IMHO. They are the ones, in my collection, that I still flick through today.

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 27, 2018, 02:54:28 pm by AlonzoDrake »
Alonzo - The programmes during the mid 80’s were the best we have ever had IMHO. They are the ones, in my collection, that I still flick through today.

Thanks Craig! Happy memories from 30 plus years ago. I met and interviewed Rovers legends such as Clarrie Jordan, Ray Harrison, Johnny Mooney, Dave Miller, King Alick and Bobby Gilfillan for my "Memory Lane" piece. One of my favorites was meeting and interviewing with Jack Haigh -- a real character who brought the early 60s at Belle Vue back to life.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 27, 2018, 10:31:46 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Nice to read that Hamiltonrover. I was part of a programme committee, set up by Peter Wetzel, and was involved in the production/writing/editing/printing of the programme for four seasons from 1984 until 1988. That 1985/86 Rovers programme won a programme collectors award. But by 1987/88 the club was experiencing financial problems, and the content was slashed, size was reduced, and more ads were included. Shortly afterwards the internet became established and for the past generation matchday programmes have slowly become obsolete. Sad really, but during the 140 years or so they were published they injdeed were one of the few ways of gaining information. Local radio then made a vast improvement in that area, but sadly we have always been the poor relations at Radio Sheffield and Hallam. But one memory really sticks from 1973. I had heard Radio Sheffield had started broadcasting Rovers score updates, and tuned in -- Nov 14, 1973 v Exeter C. away -- and to my amazement they were interviewing Maurice Setters, and he said he was heading to St James park to take both points! But we hardly ever won away back then -- but we did that day! Exeter 1 Rovers 2 (Murray O'Callaghan). But we still had to seek re-election to the League that season!

Hamilton and myself have had discussions around collecting as I too collect. Stopped after our first season back in the FL, probably most expensive one I have is a single 2-sided sheet Man Utd v Rovers 44-45 season. (Yes I did put down it is a 2-sided single sheet).  We could have a feature in the programme around "wants lists" etc, and certainly reduce its size. I found the Arsenal LC programme last seson apalling and it reminded me why I stopped buying them. Full of glossy rubbish. Prefer a 1950's one anyday. We could have a programme feature in a future programme any way to me.I often wonder if I am bidding against a fellow Rovers fan on e-bay especially as its likely to be one which they also had a gap in their collection, and we get into real money bidding say recent post-war. Barry Watson was my guru many years, and unfortunately ill health prevents him coming now I believe, however i understand his is the "gold standard" collection to aspire to...   

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 28, 2018, 03:01:47 pm by RedRover45 »
A number of posters have touched on this over the years but I think it's worth visiting again. Is there any mileage in Rovers programme collectors getting in contact with each other to swap, sell, buy or to clarify if some issues such as postponed games programmes actually exist ?
I'm sure somewhere down the line we could look at having a Programme Fair at the Keepmoat if the club were approached. Perhaps it's something that silent majority could advise on ?
Good to know if anyone else was interested ?

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 28, 2018, 03:10:00 pm by craigdrfc »
Why not just have a separate section on here specific to Programmes? People could put up buy/sell list and also ask questions around certain games etc. Appreciate we already have a ‘for sale’ section.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 29, 2018, 01:35:14 pm by sheffield exile1 »
OK, happy to bite the bullet, shall i start a list of interested parties? We can start with a who is interested and eventually move towards a fayre? I have been in discussions with Len South and Paul Mayfield about moving some old stock in the shop onto e-bay so that can also come into any eqation re a fayre?
Either post on here on this thread or PM me so i can gague interest. Happy at some point if this thread develops into a completely separate section or falls under buy/sell (however I think that limits it too much-especially if someone wants to know what their programmes are likely valued at?)
All just thoughts anyone else any thoughts?

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 29, 2018, 04:59:11 pm by RedRover45 »
OK, happy to bite the bullet, shall i start a list of interested parties? We can start with a who is interested and eventually move towards a fayre? I have been in discussions with Len South and Paul Mayfield about moving some old stock in the shop onto e-bay so that can also come into any eqation re a fayre?
Either post on here on this thread or PM me so i can gague interest. Happy at some point if this thread develops into a completely separate section or falls under buy/sell (however I think that limits it too much-especially if someone wants to know what their programmes are likely valued at?)
All just thoughts anyone else any thoughts?

Add me to the list of interested parties mate.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012