Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:53:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Matchday programme  (Read 7027 times)

Plumbster

• Forum Member
Re: Matchday programme
« Reply #30 on May 29, 2018, 08:06:15 pm by Plumbster »
I would also be interested

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 29, 2018, 10:38:58 pm by hamiltonrover »
Likewise, interested

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 29, 2018, 10:45:51 pm by Drover »
Think about this, the fanzine gets produced and sold for £1 with little advertisement and makes a profit which goes to charity, ok it’s not as glossy as a programme, however it shows what is achievable.

Aye, but we only produce six a season, not twenty-six. So we can, to a point, rely on volunteer contributors to pen considered pieces for us on a regular basis. If I asked the same people to write something every week they wouldn't be able to do it as they've other commitments, and so we wouldn't have as good a publication.

I write a regular column for the Belles programme and I've struggled to make time to do that for them, and they only put out 12 programmes a season.

Thats a very interesting and valid point,I've not realised it,on the face of it.It has also made me think,should they take a leaf out of your book or fanzine,pardon the pun,and should clubs,maybe those who think making programmes is now too intensive for the relative returns,rather than make a cheaper version,actually make the programme pretty much the same or a better,BUT make it monthly or to cover a set number of home games,say every 5 or 6 home games.Giving more time to get things right and cut producton costs a little?I know it would cause problems for the team sheets,but maybe they can hand a single sheet out at turnstile,like sometimes at reserve games or friendlies?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:48:15 pm by Drover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 30, 2018, 07:34:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
In this digital age, I'm not sure what a programme can really offer.

Teamsheet. They just print the squad numbers now anyway so that's no good for knowing who's playing. The team is announced/published approx an hour before kick off anyway.
Managers message; We now have prematch interviews on radio, website, Player, press.
Birthday messages; We have the big screen.
Opposition information: Can be found easily if you want it elsewhere.

There's so much recorded statistically now on various websites including our own there's no need for that either.

I used to enjoy the monthly magazine which summarises the matches in the month, included players profiles and interesting articles and previewed coming matches.

Not sure what the way forward is but maybe the demand for programmes No longer justifies the cost.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 02, 2018, 11:13:23 am by StocktonRover »
OK, happy to bite the bullet, shall i start a list of interested parties? We can start with a who is interested and eventually move towards a fayre? I have been in discussions with Len South and Paul Mayfield about moving some old stock in the shop onto e-bay so that can also come into any eqation re a fayre?
Either post on here on this thread or PM me so i can gague interest. Happy at some point if this thread develops into a completely separate section or falls under buy/sell (however I think that limits it too much-especially if someone wants to know what their programmes are likely valued at?)
All just thoughts anyone else any thoughts?

Add me to the list of interested parties mate.

Add me to the list too.

I am missing around 40 programmes from when I started watching Rovers back in 73/74 (mainly friendlies).
I also have several hundred spare programmes that I haven’t had the inclination to put on e-bay (I used to donate them to the supporters club but they currently have no space for them).
I also have a few programmes pre 73 that i have no real attachment too so may let them go if there’s a demand for them.

Happy to share my programme list as it may identify programmes that others are not aware of (friendlies, postponed matches, etc) and other people’s lists may do the same for me.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 02, 2018, 11:18:37 am by idler »
I will probably clear the decks of most of my programmes,books,handbooks and memorabilia in the next year or two.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 03, 2018, 04:30:27 pm by hamiltonrover »
I will probably clear the decks of most of my programmes,books,handbooks and memorabilia in the next year or two.
Give me a shout if you do and have anything pre 1960

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 03, 2018, 09:35:39 pm by idler »
Will do Hamilton. My only pre-war is Aston Villa away about 1934 but hundreds fron 1940s onwards. My son won't want them when I've gone so I'd like them to be appreciated by other Rovers fans.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 03, 2018, 10:23:29 pm by hamiltonrover »
Cheers, I am in the process of plugging gaps from that era, so once you are in a position where you want to move them on, please let me know.
Much appreciated
Gavin

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 04, 2018, 10:53:27 am by idler »
Will do. I also have some memorabilia, books and handbooks.
Did you know that the final game at Bradford City in 1966 was a re-arranged game due to a postponement?
They used the old programme with a sheet inside for teams etc. The programme is quite easy to get but not many have the loose insert. I knew a City fan with a massive collection that didn't realise this until he saw mine. He then paid £5 for an insert at a programme fair.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 04, 2018, 12:21:56 pm by craigdrfc »
Its the postponed games that cause most headaches with programme collecting as you are never quite sure what the clubs did on the day (unless you happened to be there and got one!).

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 04, 2018, 12:41:28 pm by The Red Baron »
I must admit I've been wondering what to do with my programmes and other memorabilia. Not so much now but when I pass through the turnstile into the great Pop Side in the sky.

I would like to see them saved for posterity and so that future fans can look at them. I did think of offering them to the club but I fear that in the best case they will end up languishing in a store room in the bowels of the Keepmoat.

Any thoughts welcome. There is of course Barry Watson's collection, much superior to mine. I know Barry put it up for sale but I don't think there were any takers (I certainly couldn't afford the asking price at the time). Again, it would be sad to see this scattered to the winds, or worse still end up in a recycling bin!

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 04, 2018, 07:02:35 pm by hamiltonrover »
Will do. I also have some memorabilia, books and handbooks.
Did you know that the final game at Bradford City in 1966 was a re-arranged game due to a postponement?
They used the old programme with a sheet inside for teams etc. The programme is quite easy to get but not many have the loose insert. I knew a City fan with a massive collection that didn't realise this until he saw mine. He then paid £5 for an insert at a programme fair.
I did indeed, I think I paid a similar price for the single sheet, it’s often these items that can go for silly prices, I know I paid a stupid amount for a 1972 friendly single sheet away at Bradford PA, these along with some of the Sheffield County Cup fixtures can fetch a small sum.

If you are ever bored I have my collection all scanned on here, go to the albums section and I have them by season with friendlies and County Cup separate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doncasterroversprogrammes/sets

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 05, 2018, 03:41:05 pm by RedRover45 »
I'm the same. Got virtually everything back to 54-55 season and then probably half each season back to late 40's.
Rarest ones I have are the famous longest ever game away at Stockport from 45 and a single sheet friendly against the German team Minden youth from 68.
Again, my problem is not knowing whether postponed issues exist. I've got quite a lot but still some queries.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 09, 2018, 09:28:21 am by The Red Baron »
Well, the vote allowing clubs to stop publishing a match programme passed at the EFL AGM this weekend. I wonder who will be the first club to decide not to produce a hard-copy programme?

My guess is that nothing much will happen this coming season. However clubs will be looking very closely at programme sales, production costs and different ways of publishing content. And, if they have any sense, consulting with supporters on the way forward.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 09, 2018, 11:51:57 pm by RedRover45 »
There's several rugby league clubs in the Dons division that don't produce a match day programme but it is available online to print if required. I've had to do it a few times and whilst it's free, it's still bloody annoying

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 10, 2018, 07:37:34 am by The Red Baron »
Well, the vote allowing clubs to stop publishing a match programme passed at the EFL AGM this weekend. I wonder who will be the first club to decide not to produce a hard-copy programme?

My guess is that nothing much will happen this coming season. However clubs will be looking very closely at programme sales, production costs and different ways of publishing content. And, if they have any sense, consulting with supporters on the way forward.

I think you're spot on with that.

No club will want to be the first to stop producing one, but inevitably once a couple have done so the floodgates will start to open. I also don't buy into the 'e-programme' thing as it'll still take the same amount of hours to write and proof read articles, before making it available to download. It saves on printing costs but not a lot more.

I'll have a word with our media guys about what they plan to do in the future. I know Rovers are committed to producing a physical programme next season but I recall it being mentioned that the time taken to produce and edit the thing is one of the biggest  "costs." If that is the case the e-programme idea wouldn't give them much of a saving.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 10, 2018, 09:08:22 am by hamiltonrover »

No club will want to be the first to stop producing one, but inevitably once a couple have done so the floodgates will start to open. I also don't buy into the 'e-programme' thing as it'll still take the same amount of hours to write and proof read articles, before making it available to download. It saves on printing costs but not a lot more.

I'll have a word with our media guys about what they plan to do in the future. I know Rovers are committed to producing a physical programme next season but I recall it being mentioned that the time taken to produce and edit the thing is one of the biggest  "costs." If that is the case the e-programme idea wouldn't give them much of a saving.

I am sure if the Media guys reached out, there would be folk willing to support with articles or material to make a better production. I would rather have 16 pages of decent content and pay £2 than 64 pages of dross costing £3.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 10, 2018, 09:53:32 am by idler »
I totally agree with that. I would much rather spend five minutes reading a programme from the 50s/60s than some of today's dross. They had all of the information that you needed for the match and half of the back page was taken up with the letters for the half-time scores.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 10, 2018, 11:03:07 am by sheffield exile1 »
Personally I think we cant do much at the moment as a lot of interested parties may be on the beach and those of us who have replied might get more response. Its tricky. At what point do you stop buying plastic tubs and folders and clogging up the loft? What about arranging a meet early in the season? Sure Len and Paul will let us use the supporters club area as they want to offload the stock they have accumulated over years and which has a small value in reality I understand. Any thoughts? (Gavin- i appreciate it needs to be around one of your trips from Hamilton)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 10, 2018, 01:11:43 pm by The Red Baron »

I am sure if the Media guys reached out, there would be folk willing to support with articles or material to make a better production. I would rather have 16 pages of decent content and pay £2 than 64 pages of dross costing £3.

For me, making programmes smaller and better is the way forward. It's probably the only way they will survive as we know them.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 10, 2018, 11:33:28 pm by RedRover45 »
Personally I think we cant do much at the moment as a lot of interested parties may be on the beach and those of us who have replied might get more response. Its tricky. At what point do you stop buying plastic tubs and folders and clogging up the loft? What about arranging a meet early in the season? Sure Len and Paul will let us use the supporters club area as they want to offload the stock they have accumulated over years and which has a small value in reality I understand. Any thoughts? (Gavin- i appreciate it needs to be around one of your trips from Hamilton)

Sounds good to me

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 11, 2018, 12:42:20 am by elmsallrover »
Most of mine ended in the bin outside me flat put them on ebay couldn't give them away in fact I'm sure I've got the 1st season back in the football league somewhere

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 11, 2018, 12:46:34 am by Bentley Bullet »

For me, making programmes smaller and better is the way forward. It's probably the only way they will survive as we know them.

I agree with this. In the 60's and 70's programmes were often about 6"x 4" and could fit in your pocket easily without folding them.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 13, 2018, 04:03:27 pm by CottyRover »
There is now an announcement on the Official site that the vote was overwhelmingly to keep the programme and that they will produce one for the coming season. The original announcement said the programme would be retained for the season to come, it would be the season after that they would stop, if they did. I guess the aim this season is to try to improve it so more people buy it but sounds like they are keeping their options open to cease production if this doesn't work. Like many people are saying it needs original and interesting content to make it worthwhile. At the moment I don't buy a copy as £3 to read stuff I've mostly already seen on the website isn't worth it.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 13, 2018, 04:11:38 pm by Axholme Lion »
I am a programme collector and would be gutted if we stopped producing one. We possibly have the worst in our division which doesn’t help, if someone actually put a bit of thought into it and spent a bit of time selling advertising you shouldn’t lose money. The programme we produced in 85/86 was one of the best in terms of content, replicate that !

Think about this, the fanzine gets produced and sold for £1 with little advertisement and makes a profit which goes to charity, ok it’s not as glossy as a programme, however it shows what is achievable.

I too am a Rovers programme collector and echo the above comments.
I really hope that we continue with printed programmes but increase the quality of the content.

Thirded. I'm also a Rovers programme collector and would be really pissed off if they stopped producing one. I agree ours is the worst in our division this season and it would be better to produce a smaller cheaper programme such as Fleetwood do. They only charge a quid. How hard can it be ?

I used to buy programmes all the time but I haven't for years due to the price. If they were only 50p or a pound I would buy one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012