Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:08:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The budget next season  (Read 24472 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: The budget next season
« Reply #30 on June 07, 2018, 07:23:56 am by Filo »
I have never been DF's greatest fan but I believe he has behaved in a gentlemanly way and refrained from exposing detail that would counter the DRFC propagandists who talk about a five year plan, destination championship, increased budget etc. It's fairly bleedin obvious that the owners have made the decision to cap their spending on their club to what they consider to be acceptable and sustainable levels as is their right to do, it's their money after all. we should not forget that the current owners were brought in by JR in the hope that their mega wealth would flow into the club but something less than that has happened and in fact they appear to be somewhat reluctant proprietors and not the RTID type that JR was. As usual the fans are starved of genuine information but in my opinion the stated intention to be a Championship club is not genuinely supported by the owners. We do appear to have a well run and competent organisational structure and maybe us fans should just be thankful for that.

Behaved in a gentlemanly way?

Have you stopped to consider the potential reasons why he chose to release his resignation statement at 9pm at night through the LMA catching the club totally unaware and before his resignation had been accepted? In my opinion there are underlying reasons why DF decided to do that at that time of night and go public straight away

A gentlemanly way would have been to speak to your employers regarding your decision, get a response and then agree a statement to go public at the same time
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:28:03 am by Filo »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 07, 2018, 07:39:49 am by dickos1 »
I may have missed it but I haven’t seen anything that sates he issued the statement before his resignation was accepted.
Although i think it’s onvious they didn’t part on good terms, the usual statement from the club thanking the manager and wishing him good luck in the future hasn’t appeared either.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 07, 2018, 07:48:54 am by Filo »
I may have missed it but I haven’t seen anything that sates he issued the statement before his resignation was accepted.
Although i think it’s onvious they didn’t part on good terms, the usual statement from the club thanking the manager and wishing him good luck in the future hasn’t appeared either.

Come on mate, you must have seen statements saying the club was caught unaware, do you think they had a meeting at that time of night straight away to discuss it?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 07, 2018, 07:53:54 am by dickos1 »
I’ve seen Liam Holden say they werent expecting it but I’ve not seen anything about him releasing a statement before the club even accepted his resignation.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 07, 2018, 08:08:51 am by Filo »
I’ve seen Liam Holden say they werent expecting it but I’ve not seen anything about him releasing a statement before the club even accepted his resignation.

So do you think the club had a meeting straight away to discuss his resignation?

Instead of being argumentative, start being realistic, it's obvious DF got the first punch in while backs were turned

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 07, 2018, 08:20:22 am by Glyn_Wigley »
And if we already had one of the highest budgets....

Depend what you class as one of the highest. It’s a mid table budget.

Where’s your proof that it was a mid table budget

There's no proof in it being a mid table budget,
However there is plenty of evidence suggesting it is not a good budget

Certainly not good enough for promotion

Really? Where's this 'plenty of evidence', apart from 'it's my opinion'?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 07, 2018, 08:25:34 am by silent majority »

And I posted this;

Quote from: the vicar on June 05, 2018, 05:50:16 PM

im not having a pop at anyone am i, its just that we are left to argue with each other and speculate

The problem though Dave was the timing of the announcement by DF. Nobody knew that it was coming quite late on a Monday evening, the staff would have been at home and not prepared. As it happens the club put out a holding statement last night with plans for a more detailed response today, which they've now done.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 07, 2018, 08:36:41 am by dickos1 »

So do you think the club had a meeting straight away to discuss his resignation?

Instead of being argumentative, start being realistic, it's obvious DF got the first punch in while backs were turned

I’m not being argumentative I just don’t think he announced it before it was accepted.
Yes I know Martin and that’s a good enough reason as to why they didn’t respond initially, but it doesn’t suggest Ferguson had announced it before Gavin had accepted it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 07, 2018, 08:47:12 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Am I the only one who's thinking:

If, as SM and Andy Giddings are saying the budget for next season has gone up, and this whole thing really is all about the budget, why didn't DF walk this time last season when it was less?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 07, 2018, 08:58:28 am by grayx »
Out of interest, why would people think we deserve one of the highest budgets in League One? Shouldn't we be content with a "mid-table" budget, seeing as we finished as a mid-table team last season? Discuss...

:chair:

So does that mean if we are content with a "mid table budget" we should be content with a mid table finish next season?

I reckon thats what we can expect AND we have now got to try and sell this to a new manager who is going to be expected to mount a championship push. Not going to be easy, might be a case of who’s prepared to take it rather than who we would really want.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 07, 2018, 08:59:40 am by steve@dcfd »
As we understand last season was about consolidation yet it has been said we should have finished higher with the budget we had.
Now it’s been said that this season the objective will be to get in the top six.
Having worked with last seasons budget one can assume that DF believed that to achieve that goal the new budget was not big enough, after discussions with the CEO and Chairman decided to resign.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 07, 2018, 09:02:01 am by DonnyOsmond »
They will want the Championship as we'll be getting more money from being there, however they probably don't want to do what Villa have done this season which potentially could lead to them going into administration. Going 2ith younger players and building over time is sensible to me.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 07, 2018, 09:19:51 am by Bentley Bullet »
How many of those clubs whose finances went tits up through overspending still hold a higher league position than us though? Put it another way, how many of them are lower than us?

On the other hand, consider Crewe Alexander, a club who we seem to want to emulate. Where has the policy of youth development left them?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 07, 2018, 09:24:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

If, as SM and Andy Giddings are saying the budget for next season has gone up, and this whole thing really is all about the budget, why didn't DF walk this time last season when it was less?

One can only assume, its easier to throw more money at it than work harder at polishing some of the raw talent that we have. The conundrum is whether he felt he would have enough to fill the 3 or 4 quality signings we need to push on.(That doesn't necessarily have to include players like Taylor who was over priced in my book) It's just plausible he grew weary of working prudently

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 07, 2018, 09:28:53 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
How many of those clubs whose finances went tits up through overspending still hold a higher league position than us though? Put it another way, how many of them are lower than us?

On the other hand, consider Crewe Alexander, a club who we seem to want to emulate. Where has the policy of youth development left them?

That's OK BB if someone else sweeps up the mess left by those who took the risk. I don't think a club of our stature would appeal to someone to do that, which means an administration route which is far more painful.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 07, 2018, 09:36:18 am by Bentley Bullet »
We are of the stature we are through choice.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 07, 2018, 09:40:08 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We are of the stature we are through choice.

I'd say it's lack of size. We're a fairly average sized club with decent infrastructure but big losses, not a huge fan base and minimal assets.  You run clubs like ours for fun not to make money.  Nobody would come in and save us easily. I wish we had billions to play with but reality says not.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 07, 2018, 09:47:43 am by Bentley Bullet »
If we'd invested more in the Championship squad we'd have attained a bigger fanbase, and reaped the benefits of Championship status. Our 'lack of size' would have been rectified.

A prime example is Wigan Athletic, who just 40 years ago were a non-league club. Why have they overtaken us?

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 07, 2018, 10:14:54 am by Avsuptem »

Behaved in a gentlemanly way?

Have you stopped to consider the potential reasons why he chose to release his resignation statement at 9pm at night through the LMA catching the club totally unaware and before his resignation had been accepted? In my opinion there are underlying reasons why DF decided to do that at that time of night and go public straight away

A gentlemanly way would have been to speak to your employers regarding your decision, get a response and then agree a statement to go public at the same time

Mr. Filo, in answer to your question no I had not considered his timing. I mean that he behaved in a Gentlemanly way by refraining from gobbing off in detail about his reasons for resigning. I suspect it would not have been pretty if he had done so.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 07, 2018, 10:30:51 am by DRNaith »
I would expect the possibility of legal action against him will have had something to do with what he did or did not say.

Some things that are true and detailed will be protected by law
Some things that are false will also have the law's protection for those that are defamed.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 07, 2018, 10:35:20 am by wing commander »
   At the risk of a volley of abuse,the thing that has annoyed me about all of this is us the fans..Some of the comments I've read on here and facebook begger belief in the attitude shown to our board..

Lets gets one thing straight,there isn't a queue of people with endless amounts of money stood at the keepmoat ready to walk in.Football at clubs like our isn't a investment, it's a sure fire way of losing money..Reality is we are not a sleeping giant..We are a league 1 club in a unfashionable town who struggle to get gates over 8000 even when things are going well...

The current board are being criticised about the budget by so many people even when they continuously have to plough money in every month to provide it at the level it is now,i know the vast majority of supporters these days cant remember the times when administration was always ever only days away,and not just under the Richardson era either...But we really have a lot to be thankfull for..

There are 6k-10k of us who go to watch Rovers in a town the size of Doncaster and people expect everything on a plate who moan like mad when season ticket prices go up ten quid.Yet expect other people to just throw huge amounts of money in for there entertainment...

As far as I'm concerned Doncaster Rovers has never been better run than it is today and even if Fergy did walk out because he wanted to chase rainbows, then I for one fully agree with the fact they didn't give it him...Our budget is our budget,and as long as that's at the maximum level the club can afford whatever the circumstance then that's good enough for me....

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 07, 2018, 10:58:45 am by pib »

Probably because everyone was on the same page with regards to the season just gone being a "consolidation" season.  Ferguson probably felt the budget was adequate for that.

This time he wanted to push for the top 6 and felt he was given a budget not suited to that. Not saying I concur with Ferguson on that but that's probably the way he saw it. I don't personally think he ever got the most out of the resources he did have so I wouldn't have been slinging a massive budget his way either.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 07, 2018, 11:51:28 am by steve@dcfd »
  As far as I'm concerned Doncaster Rovers has never been better run than it is today and even if Fergy did walk out because he wanted to chase rainbows, then I for one fully agree with the fact they didn't give it him...Our budget is our budget,and as long as that's at the maximum level the club can afford whatever the circumstance then that's good enough for me....

I also believe the club is well run, but I don’t think DF was chasing rainbows. He was the one that had to work with the funds he was given. Yes some of the funds he spent can be said was on the wrong resource. But when you are trying to get the best out of a budget sometimes by saving money the player may not be up to it in hindsight.

The club have set the goal of top six next season and they have set a budget to get their. DF knowing what players are required to achieve that, having said in last seasons pre season he was shocked at the level of wages players in league 1 want, then it appeared he felt it needed more funds.

We will never know the level of budget set but it’s not our place to get the best out of it to achieve goal set.

The three clubs promoted last season came from the Championship and all could have had bigger budgets. Rotherham’s crowd on average was only just above ours yet was their budget bigger we will know theirs in 18 months time. This season coming will be just as hard if not harder to achieve top six.

Supporters keep quoting Shrewsbury but they did not get promoted, they did sign 15 players throughout the season. The last three in January were just to sit on their bench but bolster the squad for the playoff push.

So know we wait to see the next step in the clubs progression we wait to see who will be the manager, what quality players we sign and worst of all if we lose our quality players.

What we do know there will be differing opinions in the fan base what’s best for the club, and we will be able to use hindsight to decide whether the level of resources acquired have been good enough.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 07, 2018, 12:25:53 pm by RedJ »
All of the above is based on very little actual fact lol.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 07, 2018, 12:33:26 pm by steve@dcfd »
All of the above is based on very little actual fact lol.

I havent quoted anything but you like your dig.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 07, 2018, 12:55:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
WC above nails it for me. I'll add that DF's aim is to be managing in the Championship sooner rather than later, and his view was that he needed more funds to do that with certainty within the next two seasons.

Here I'm guessing a little, but the man lives in the shaddow of hs dad, he almost certainly always will, though he will be spurred on to shine as much as possible. He probs has his own 5 or 10 year plan, with the ultimate aim of being a Prem manager. Taking Donny up a level would no doubt have sat well with that plan but he has increasingly wanted more certainty to make that step up. I think the deterioration of his dad's health may have been the straw that broke the camel's back in his decision to go now (a couple of obvious reasons in that), otherwise he may have given it another season.

My suggestion here is that DF leaving was less to do with our club's progression/plan/budget and more to do with his increased urgency in his aims to progress as a manager.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 07, 2018, 01:44:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If we'd invested more in the Championship squad we'd have attained a bigger fanbase, and reaped the benefits of Championship status. Our 'lack of size' would have been rectified.

A prime example is Wigan Athletic, who just 40 years ago were a non-league club. Why have they overtaken us?

I think we can relate back that time which was perhaps a turning point. Wigan was backed solely by Dave Whelan , one decision maker.

We had 3 amigos who agreed to put equal sums in to support the club but there came a time when that became more difficult for one who still wanted to be the decision maker. That's by the by, but when it came to that critical time there wasn't that collective unity to increase their financial commitment. The funding of Billy Sharp's purchase was probably the last big financial risk they took and, who knows, with a bit of luck it may have paid off. However, we know eventually it didn't.

How we would have grown if we'd have stayed in the Championship for longer, who knows but in the 4 seasons we were there the attendances dropped. Now if I was an investor/owner etc, I would also be cautious about chucking more money in.

It is no different today. If our attendances were bringing in more revenue then you might spend proportionately more.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 07, 2018, 02:09:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Of course attendances dropped. The initial novelty of the new ground increased crowds. That was bound to be temporary. Then, attendances dropped further as the team struggled to win games!

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 07, 2018, 02:19:05 pm by Cantley Rover »
At the end of the day let's all accept the facts. We are a league 1 club with directors whose personal wealth is probably in the region of half a billion pounds.
They are prepared to keep the club going with the least amount of finance that will enable us to remain in this division but not risk trying to get any higher.
So the result is we are a sustainable league 1 club. Let just accept that and get on with it. Forget championship football unless we acheive a fluke it aint going to happen.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 07, 2018, 02:33:43 pm by steve@dcfd »
It is no different today. If our attendances were bringing in more revenue then you might spend proportionately more.

We were told we needed 7000 crowds to assist the budget. We had on average just over 8000. People don’t just come to home games now because it’s Doncaster Rovers. When we were at Belle Vue with good mining and engineering companies in and around crowds would come. It started to tail off in the mid 80s.

The club according to reports want to get into the top six this season coming. Aiming for the Championship is where to be, not throwing money at it, but the funds provided must be realistic to get the 4/5 quality players we need. These players must able to go in to the Championship and compete.

It will be great to see attendances grow this season, but if and when we get in the Championship the attendance will grow faster if we can consolidate, which is part of the long term plan.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012