Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The budget next season  (Read 24468 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: The budget next season
« Reply #60 on June 07, 2018, 02:39:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
The 'stated' aim of the Club is to become a sustainable Championship Club - not division 1. Fact.

What DF wanted was the same thing - hardly 'chasing rainbows'. DF believed the funds being provided were insufficient to achieve the stated aim - he did as much as he thought he could with the resources provided. If last season showed anything, it is that we needed much more than we had, to progress under DF's guidance.

Some other guy is now going to have to try and achieve what DF thought he couldn't with the same resources provided. Wait for, 'they're not my players', etc, etc at the end of next season!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on June 07, 2018, 02:42:24 pm by Cantley Rover »
The 'stated' aim of the Club is to become a sustainable Championship Club - not division 1. Fact.

What DF wanted was the same thing - hardly 'chasing rainbows'. DF believed the funds being provided were insufficient to achieve the stated aim - he did as much as he thought he could with the resources provided. If last season showed anything, it is that we needed much more than we had, to progress under DF's guidance.

Some other guy is now going to have to try and achieve what DF thought he couldn't with the same resources provided. Wait for, 'they're not my players', etc, etc at the end of next season!

To be a sustainable club in the championship without spending any more money is a pipe dream.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:11:01 pm by Cantley Rover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 07, 2018, 02:43:46 pm by RoversAlias »
At the end of the day let's all accept the facts. We are a league 1 club with directors whose personal wealth is probably in the region of half a billion pounds.
They are prepared to keep the club going with the least amount of finance that will enable us to remain in this division but not risk trying to get any higher.
So the result is we are a sustainable league 1 club. Let just accept that and get on with it. Forget championship football unless we acheive a fluke it aint going to happen.

That is completely unfounded, not a fact at all.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 07, 2018, 02:50:18 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Our attendances are better now at this level than in previous seasons in recent history.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on June 07, 2018, 02:52:54 pm by silent majority »

A straight question Alan. If a manager is given the resources that match any other clubs in the top 10 of that division where do you think he should finish?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 07, 2018, 02:58:31 pm by GazLaz »

A straight question Alan. If a manager is given the resources that match any other clubs in the top 10 of that division where do you think he should finish?

Only one club has resources that matches every team in the top 10 and that’s the team with the best resources. If you have the 10th best resources they don’t match any in the top 10.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 07, 2018, 02:59:34 pm by Alan Southstand »
Hang on, so you are saying our budget matched Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham's?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 07, 2018, 03:01:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
To be a sustainable club in the premiership without spending any more money is a pipe dream.

Who mentioned Premiership?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on June 07, 2018, 03:05:14 pm by DRNaith »

Technically no, he just asked a question.

Like me asking "If a manager is paid £1bn a season to manage Rovers, should it be reasonable to expect success?"

I'm not actually stating that DF was paid that.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 07, 2018, 03:10:10 pm by Cantley Rover »
To be a sustainable club in the premiership without spending any more money is a pipe dream.

Who mentioned Premiership?

Sorry championship

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on June 07, 2018, 03:11:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
So now who am I answering?

DR - if that is your interpretation of the question posed by SM, then the question is hyperthetical. This could go on forever!

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 07, 2018, 03:12:02 pm by Cantley Rover »
At the end of the day let's all accept the facts. We are a league 1 club with directors whose personal wealth is probably in the region of half a billion pounds.
They are prepared to keep the club going with the least amount of finance that will enable us to remain in this division but not risk trying to get any higher.
So the result is we are a sustainable league 1 club. Let just accept that and get on with it. Forget championship football unless we acheive a fluke it aint going to happen.

That is completely unfounded, not a fact at all.

That is your opinion. I think otherwise.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on June 07, 2018, 03:17:49 pm by silent majority »

No. Just wrote that whilst on the move, sorry.

The question is, if you have resources that put you in the top 10 where do you expect to finish?

And a secondary question as well.

Do you think you should pay for a top manager and a modest squad or a top squad and a modest manager?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 07, 2018, 03:21:03 pm by RedJ »
All of the above is based on very little actual fact lol.

I havent quoted anything but you like your dig.

Actually that was meant for avsuptem's post but I didn't realise there was more after it. Don't flatter yourself pal.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 07, 2018, 03:23:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
Martin I believe your saying we should have finished in nineth or tenth to match the funding he had.
We all wanted that.
But there were circumstances that used that funding that did not help our season.
Williams did not leave the club even though he was transfer listed, his wages plus he didn’t want to leave didn’t help. So we could not get another striker with the funds we had.
Evina who should not been given a three year contract only left the club on loan and we had to pay some of his wages.
Etheridge was injured so could not leave the club. We had to pay his wages.
Andrew best player we signed received a bad tackle and was out for the season.
Therefore we had use funds to bring in Toffolo.
Kiwomya contracted a bad illness and he was out for the season, he did come back but anyone could see psychological he was not ready.
McCullough injury dragged on so we got Houghton early was not planned for the summer as you pointed out to me months ago.
Then January we had to bring in 2 loan centre halves because unfortunately we lost our three in two games.
We had to sign Whiteman, not planned, because his loan was terminated and looked to be going elsewhere. Hence overspending of funds for that season.
I believe if Andrew had remained fit we could have signed another striker in Williams place. We would have finished there. But that’s my opinion doesn’t really count.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on June 07, 2018, 03:24:18 pm by Cantley Rover »

The question is, if you have resources that put you in the top 10 where do you expect to finish?

Do you think you should pay for a top manager and a modest squad or a top squad and a modest manager?

How would you define a Top Manager or a Modest Manager?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 07, 2018, 03:28:13 pm by GazLaz »

It completely depends on what the difference between you and the sides around you is. It’s probably the case where the difference between 8th and 16th is very minimal.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on June 07, 2018, 03:34:54 pm by Alan Southstand »
SM, first of all, why are you asking me these questions? Have I suddenly become the font of all knowledge?

Anyway, let's skip that one. Just for fun, in answer to question 1, IF we hadn't had the level of injuries that we sustained last season, I believe we would have made top 10 comfortably, that is to say 10th. Check out the league table and the points spread yourself - we were not that far off.

Question 2? We already had a decent manager for the level we were at and the one above, as he met all the criteria that the Club have set out for the new manager. It goes without saying, surely, that to achieve the Club's stated aim, we are going to need a decent squad, or am I missing something?

My question to you is:

Do you believe we have a budget that will meet the Club's stated aim of a top 6 finish this coming season?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on June 07, 2018, 03:42:48 pm by dickos1 »
But it was Fergie who resigned so the board can’t have been unhappy with where we finished last year in fact Gavin has described last season of one to look back on with pride and optimism.

If they were so unhappy with last season surely they would’ve sacked him or at least not let him start signing players.

So I don’t think where we finished last season has any relevance at all with regards Ferguson leaving

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on June 07, 2018, 03:43:05 pm by GazLaz »
SM, first of all, why are you asking me these questions? Have I suddenly become the font of all knowledge?

Anyway, let's skip that one. Just for fun, in answer to question 1, IF we hadn't had the level of injuries that we sustained last season, I believe we would have made top 10 comfortably, that is to say 10th. Check out the league table and the points spread yourself - we were not that far off.

Question 2? We already had a decent manager for the level we were at and the one above, as he met all the criteria that the Club have set out for the new manager. It goes without saying, surely, that to achieve the Club's stated aim, we are going to need a decent squad, or am I missing something?

My question to you is:

Do you believe we have a budget that will meet the Club's stated aim of a top 6 finish this coming season?

I thought we wanted to get promoted this season, surely that’s a top 2 aim?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 07, 2018, 04:12:14 pm by RedJ »

My question to you is:

Does it not count if you win the playoffs then? I suppose they must be the penalties of promotion methods...

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on June 07, 2018, 04:15:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
Let’s not get beyond ourselves it as been recorded rightly or not that the clubs  aim is top six it will be hard to achieve that. The budget to achieve and consolidate in that position  should be between third to sixth in the league
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:18:46 pm by steve@dcfd »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on June 07, 2018, 04:18:25 pm by GazLaz »

My question to you is:

Does it not count if you win the playoffs then? I suppose they must be the penalties of promotion methods...

Surely the aim, if you are being realistic about promotion, should be top two and the playoffs a lifeline if things don’t go to plan??

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 07, 2018, 04:52:26 pm by Copps is Magic »
Silent majority, you posted a reply on the 6th June suggesting we had a top 8 budget and now you seem to be suggesting we had a top 10 budget last season. Might seem like splitting hairs but which one is true?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on June 07, 2018, 04:56:16 pm by Copps is Magic »
The thing about budgets in this league is there are usually 4/5/6 teams with significantly higher budgets than the rest. Once you get down to about the 6th highest budgeted team, it just tends to go down very incrementally. As such, having somewhere in the region the 8th-10th biggest budget in the league is not really that much of a significant thing, it puts you a long way behind the big boys and marginally above the small boys.

That's based on having the odd look at other clubs accounts. Regularly looking at our accounts its clear the owners pump in a lot of money so I can't personally find any reason to complain.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 07, 2018, 05:03:26 pm by GazLaz »
The thing about budgets in this league is there are usually 4/5/6 teams with significantly higher budgets than the rest. Once you get down to about the 6th highest budgeted team, it just tends to go down very incrementally. As such, having somewhere in the region the 8th-10th biggest budget in the league is not really that much of a significant thing, it puts you a long way behind the big boys and marginally above the small boys.

That's based on having the odd look at other clubs accounts. Regularly looking at our accounts its clear the owners pump in a lot of money so I can't personally find any reason to complain.

This year we will be competing with Sunderland who’s budget will be ten times ours. Barnsley, Charlton, Luton, Peterborough and Pompeys will all be at least double you would think. It’s a tough division. I think Fergie wanted to be in that bracket of clubs as opposed to the mid table pack.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 07, 2018, 05:10:11 pm by Boomstick »

This year we will be competing with Sunderland who’s budget will be ten times ours. Barnsley, Charlton, Luton, Peterborough and Pompeys will all be at least double you would think. It’s a tough division. I think Fergie wanted to be in that bracket of clubs as opposed to the mid table pack.
Why on earth would Peterborough and Lutons budgets be higher ?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on June 07, 2018, 05:24:31 pm by GazLaz »

Peterborough have paid big wages for a while now and receiving millions for their best two players this summer won’t slow down that spending. Luton’s budget last season was huge and they are planning to push on again. Just about to sign Sonny Bradley on massive money which shows their intent. Blew Plymouth’s contract offer out of the water.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on June 07, 2018, 05:29:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Top 8 or top 10 budget, take either really as last season we were I think in neither position at pretty much any point throughout the entire season, let alone at the end.

We undershot our resources significantly and being safe from relegation a few games shy of the end of the season was celebrated as a major success, while clubs with budgets far less than our own were streets ahead.

As a manager you need to make use of your resources and then some. We managed to undershoot and seemingly piss away our financial strength.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on June 07, 2018, 05:50:45 pm by Cantley Rover »

Peterborough have paid big wages for a while now and receiving millions for their best two players this summer won’t slow down that spending. Luton’s budget last season was huge and they are planning to push on again. Just about to sign Sonny Bradley on massive money which shows their intent. Blew Plymouth’s contract offer out of the water.

Maybe none of them want to be a sustainable club?  :chair: :chair:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012