Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:01:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

who do you want

Heckinbottom
13 (9.6%)
McCall
77 (57%)
Rosler
10 (7.4%)
Redfearn
12 (8.9%)
Grayson
23 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Voting closed: June 09, 2018, 09:52:40 pm

Author Topic: Next incumbent  (Read 7717 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Next incumbent
« Reply #30 on June 08, 2018, 08:23:04 pm by RedJ »
Darren Ferguson has won f**k all in terms of trophies as a manager, unless he's won an EFL Trophy. I don't particularly care how other clubs get on in that so he may well have done and I've missed it, but certainly never won a league title... :whistle:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 08, 2018, 10:56:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
All the names so far look quite dull to me. Nothing to get the fan base excited.
I'd like the board to look further afield with a totally different approach.

Totally onside with this. Get them in while the borders are still open!

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 09, 2018, 08:34:57 am by hamiltonrover »
McCall is the stand out for me, done well wherever he has been, what he achieved at Motherwell with no money was pretty amazing. Thoroughly decent fella too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 09, 2018, 10:13:11 am by selby »
  McCall seems to attract a large following, out of the managers out of contract I would have no problem with any of Grayson,McCall, Kurle, or Redfern.
  Grayson may have a problem with a No2 as they want Strachan to stay, and I hope he does, Let's hope whoever get's the job they hit the floor running, and therefore gets the supporters  behind him.
  I will not be surprised if it is someone none of us have expected, or   even a from inside the club promotion. Someone must be holding the tiller at the moment and may be impressing the powers that be.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 09, 2018, 10:41:40 am by Lifelong supporter »
All the names so far look quite dull to me. Nothing to get the fan base excited.

If you think we can get better than McCall, then dream on.

What's he won?

What's Neil Redfearn won? what's Grant McCann won?; I think you'll find most men on that list haven't won anything, but if you look at achievements, McCall got Bradford to the League One play-off final in the same season that they went completely unbeaten at home; also, he achieved second spot in the SPL twice with Motherwell. These aren't the accomplishments of a crap manager, and I doubt that many Bradford fans would disagree with that.

Wouldn't want Redfearn or McCann.
Grayson/Snodin won promotion from League 1 with three different teams.
How many of the names mentioned, including McCall, can compete with that?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 09, 2018, 10:42:21 am by idler »
It would be interesting to know Gavin Strachan's view on all that has happened.
Surely DF must have told him how he was feeling and the possibility of him leaving. Does he feel secure here without DF or expect to have to go once a replacement is confirmed?
I hope that he is still here because he has impressed the board rather than just saving any compensation.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 09, 2018, 11:10:54 am by drfchound »
It could also be that Strachan is staying here picking up his wages until Fergie gets a new job then he will be off with him.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 09, 2018, 11:19:51 am by Bentley Bullet »
I was in Morrison's fruit and veg section earlier and I heard a conversation through the Grapefruit that Fergie was taking some time out of football.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 09, 2018, 11:30:47 am by The Red Baron »
Having considered the matter I think McCall is the best candidate. Hopefully Rovers will get the wheels moving next week.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 09, 2018, 11:53:27 am by phil old leake »
None of the above.  But it's a vote so Redfearn

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 09, 2018, 12:30:05 pm by Jim Dobbin »

What's he won?

What's Neil Redfearn won? what's Grant McCann won?; I think you'll find most men on that list haven't won anything, but if you look at achievements, McCall got Bradford to the League One play-off final in the same season that they went completely unbeaten at home; also, he achieved second spot in the SPL twice with Motherwell. These aren't the accomplishments of a crap manager, and I doubt that many Bradford fans would disagree with that.

Heckingbottom not only got there but won the play off final and the football league trophy, then finished comfortably mid table in the championship the following season. Much better than what McCall's ever achieved. Grayson has 4 league 1 promotions to his name, Rosler was also highly regarded before making a bad career choice. McCall's one of the shittest on that list.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 09, 2018, 12:43:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

What's he won?

The last permanent manager we appointed who had previously won a league was Steve Wignall. He had previously won the prestigious Isthmian League Division Three title in  1992-93.

The last one before him was Dave Mackay..!

But previously winning something must have meant they'd be good for Rovers...

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 09, 2018, 12:46:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

What's he won?

Wouldn't want Redfearn or McCann.
Grayson/Snodin won promotion from League 1 with three different teams.
How many of the names mentioned, including McCall, can compete with that?

And you think they'd be able to do the same on Rovers budget as they did with the budget they had at all three of the clubs they were managed to promotion do you?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on June 09, 2018, 01:25:13 pm by selby »
  Glyn, don't give up before anyone has started. what people have done elsewhere is just history.
   Even after intense interviewing, and someone ticking all the box's it is a lottery, and luck forms a large part of a managers reputation with a club and it's fans.
    The individual who gets the job does not really bother me who it is, what they do after they are appointed does though.
   Fergie leaving surprised me, but I think he had run his course, was getting frayed around the edges, and stale.
  We have a decent core of a young side, someone else could possibly build on that and get more out of them, who that is is up to the powers that be. Let's hope they make the right decision and we can push on.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 09, 2018, 05:49:19 pm by idler »
He

What's he won?

The last permanent manager we appointed who had previously won a league was Steve Wignall. He had previously won the prestigious Isthmian League Division Three title in  1992-93.

He did also win the League 3 play off final the year they beat us in the last game before the conference.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 09, 2018, 08:24:21 pm by scawsby steve »

What's he won?

Heckingbottom not only got there but won the play off final and the football league trophy, then finished comfortably mid table in the championship the following season. Much better than what McCall's ever achieved. Grayson has 4 league 1 promotions to his name, Rosler was also highly regarded before making a bad career choice. McCall's one of the shittest on that list.

Heckingbottom inherited Lee Johnson's side, and since that team broke up, he's done nothing, and neither has Rosler. Of course, the best on the list is Grayson, but I think he'll be out of our price range, and I'm sure he'd want a bigger playing budget than we'd be prepared to offer.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on June 09, 2018, 08:49:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
He

What's he won?

He did also win the League 3 play off final the year they beat us in the last game before the conference.

I said won a league. Winning a play-off means at least not being in the top two. Or three.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 09, 2018, 10:52:27 pm by idler »
I did read it Glyn. I merely pointed out that he had also won a play off final as we did. That is a further success for me. 
Your description of the Ithsmian League title as "prestigious" seems a little churlish to me.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 10, 2018, 10:09:33 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I did read it Glyn. I merely pointed out that he had also won a play off final as we did. That is a further success for me. 
Your description of the Ithsmian League title as "prestigious" seems a little churlish to me.

But Lifelong Supporter apparently only wants someone who's won something, not picked up a consolation prize!

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 10, 2018, 11:13:26 am by Lifelong supporter »
I just want the best man for the job.
Whoever that may be is anybody's guess.
In many ways I'd like to see Glynn Snodin involved, with or without Grayson.
He's got a great CV, had lots of success with different clubs and is Rovers through and through.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 10, 2018, 11:38:56 am by dickos1 »
Darren Ferguson has won f**k all in terms of trophies as a manager, unless he's won an EFL Trophy. I don't particularly care how other clubs get on in that so he may well have done and I've missed it, but certainly never won a league title... :whistle:
There’s only half a dozen clubs that can win anything unless you’re counting the Mickey Mouse cup. Therefore there’s 86 managers every year not winning anything. So not winning anything at this level is a terrible indication of whether they’re a decent manager or not.
Promotions, win percentages, infrastructure of club are much more poiniant at this level

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 10, 2018, 12:27:37 pm by RedJ »
I'm not the one who said it was important. I was just stating that our last manager also never won anything to demonstrate that whether or not you'd won anything in the past doesn't necessarily mean anything.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on June 10, 2018, 01:03:10 pm by dickos1 »
I agree

It means nothing at all outside of the top 6 clubs in the prem

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 10, 2018, 02:10:56 pm by RedJ »
I agree

Bloody hell. Never thought I'd see the day! ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012