Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:55:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What about the New Barnsley Manager?  (Read 3325 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
What about the New Barnsley Manager?
« on June 08, 2018, 02:49:06 am by Alan Southstand »
Bit of a curve ball, or what?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rtid88

• Forum Member
Re: What about the New Barnsley Manager?
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2018, 06:49:48 am by rtid88 »
They have a board that want a coach and not a manager. They chose the signings the club brings in, most English managers will not go along with this so their only option is to bring in obscure people.

Be thankful for the board we have that will allow our manager to control the team and the signings we make.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2018, 06:58:18 am by nice one rovers »
Stendel, Winkler & Stern. Sounds a bit like a 1980’s design agency.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2018, 08:05:36 am by idler »
That is the idea of the Bradford owners as well. DF moaned his budget wasn't big enough, but McCall at City was told it didn't concern him what the budget was as the owners would buy the players for him to coach.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 08, 2018, 08:32:33 am by Wiltshire Exile »

.......or a well known brand of piano!   :lol:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 08, 2018, 08:33:36 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Sounds to me like the cast of a US comedy series!

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2018, 11:10:10 am by Jim Dobbin »
Their last four have been "coaches" and not managers.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2018, 12:43:14 pm by Cantley Rover »
They have a board that want a coach and not a manager. They chose the signings the club brings in, most English managers will not go along with this so their only option is to bring in obscure people.

Be thankful for the board we have that will allow our manager to control the team and the signings we make.

Most European clubs employ coaches who pick the team etc. It seems to work pretty well for them. Its just a system we aren't used to.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2018, 12:51:07 pm by rtid88 »
Personally call me old fashioned but I would rather we stick with the method we have. Where a manager picks the players who we sign to fit into his systems, tactics and formations rather than be told. Just my opinion of course.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2018, 01:23:04 pm by RoversAlias »

Most European clubs employ coaches who pick the team etc. It seems to work pretty well for them. Its just a system we aren't used to.

And it's certainly worked wonders for Barnsley and Bradford so far, ey.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2018, 01:33:23 pm by Cantley Rover »

Barcelona, Real Madrid an PSG have been abject failures too.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2018, 01:36:19 pm by RoversAlias »

Barcelona, Real Madrid an PSG have been abject failures too.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you think the managers at Barca and Real Madrid have no say whatsoever in transfer dealings then I don't know what to tell you.

It seems the Bradford board just told McCall he had no involvement at all. They'll buy the players, you just coach them. Well I'm afraid the "Continental Model" does not mean that, it means the manager/head coach working within a team to devise a transfer strategy encompassing budget and targets. What Bradford are doing sounds about a step away from Ken Richardson.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2018, 02:50:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
Barnsley and Bradford both above us in the league standings, so something must be working?

Bantam in Peace

« Reply #13 on June 08, 2018, 02:54:02 pm by Bantam in Peace »
100% correct

We let go of our player of the year 2016/17 Mark Marshall. We also lost McArdle who was a solid pro to Scunthorpe. Meredith a brilliant left back went to Millwall and Clarke to Charlton. Steven Darby went to Bolton and we could not compete with Fleetwood for Hiwula due to finances. Interesting enough Mark Marshall has now been told he can leave Charlton. Amazing considering what he was like for us.

Our recruitment process is, Greg Abbott who is our scout and Edin Rahic (the chairman) is the head of football.

We replaced near 50% of the Wembley team that was undefeated at home and that had only lost 7 all season by cheap inferior players. We brought in players who were expected to challenge for positions who could not get a game for Harrogate town (lachlan barr) . German keepers and players who in all honesty would struggle to get into the national league north. Thanks Chairman. The best player was young development trainee Tyrell Robinson (left winger but had to play left back) the lad that scored that winner at Wigan.

I dont mind this European head coach way of running a club but it cant be the chairman.

Simon Grayson won 3 from 14 at City who is definitely a more dont loose manager and it just shows you how well McCall had done and how he was unfairly not backed in the transfer window when we needed players. A few weeks before he was sacked we were 1 point behind Blackburn and 8 above Rotherham yet the Chairman never backed him when recruitment was needed due to injurys. We even let Shrewsbury take our loaned signing Hendrie who was covering right back at the time when McMahon had a mystery injury after Scunthorpe failed to buy him. Crazy decision by our chairman.

Sorry for stealing your guys time but our last two managers seem high on your betting list and Your ex manager on ours.

Do you think Darren Ferguson could work with such a model.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2018, 02:55:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Barnsley and Bradford both above us in the league standings, so something must be working?

Well no, not really. Let's look at each club's aims for the season just gone.

Barnsley: Build on their consolidation in the Championship the previous year. Failed miserably, relegated.

Bradford: Aim for promotion after narrowly missing out in the Play Offs the last two years. Failed miserably, finished midtable.

Doncaster: Stay up in League One, consolidate the position. Achieved quite comfortably.

Not to mention the fact both Barnsley and Bradford have much better resources than ourselves from ownership through their respective stadiums and playing staff. If it was as simple as "they're above us in the league standings" I suppose Sunderland have had a successful season whilst Wigan have not?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2018, 02:57:04 pm by jonnydog »

Sounds to me like the cast of a US comedy series!

Bantam in Peace

« Reply #16 on June 08, 2018, 03:02:07 pm by Bantam in Peace »
RoversAlias we had a mid table to top 10 budget it was openly discussed at the fans forum.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2018, 03:30:53 pm by Jim Dobbin »

Barnsley: Build on their consolidation in the Championship the previous year. Failed miserably, relegated.

Probably down to them flogging half their team and posting a £13 million profit in their last accounts.

Probably down to them flogging half their team and posting a £13 million pound profit in their last accounts. Starting from scratch again with a new load of youngsters at the same level but with a lot more money behind them this time. Bradford just lost a bit of momentum after a decent start.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 08, 2018, 04:00:06 pm by Alan Southstand »
RoversAlias, read what I said - where did Bradford and Barnsley finish last season? They were both above us!

Are you questioning the league standings or just arguing for the sake of it?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 08, 2018, 05:10:11 pm by RoversAlias »
Neither Alan. Your insinuation is that they're both doing well at least to some degree as a result of adopting the model that they have, and I'm simply explaining why I don't believe they are. Your assertion that they finished above us in the league standings therefore they're doing better than us is too simplistic. Like I say, Sunderland can hardly count themselves as a success this season in relative terms compared to us yet are 'above us' in the league standings.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 08, 2018, 06:06:51 pm by Bessie Red »

Not at the moment they are not (unless its based on the alphabet) as we are all on 0 points.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 08, 2018, 08:38:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
I didn’t insinuate anything, merely stating a fact.

Oh no, not that again!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 09, 2018, 10:14:42 am by idler »
Living in Bradford I have quite a few mates that are City supporters and believe me they are very disappointed with how the club has been run recently.
This forum would be in meltdown if we followed the same model.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 09, 2018, 10:32:38 am by Jonathan »

Sorry for stealing your guys time but our last two managers seem high on your betting list and Your ex manager on ours.

Do you think Darren Ferguson could work with such a model.

Hard to tell. His detractors would always tell you that his successes at Peterborough were down to Barry Fry choosing and recruiting players, but I don’t think that’s completely accurate or fair. I sensed that Ferguson wanted some control over who comes in and out of the club, and rightly so. I’m not sure there would be a queue of British managers that would really relish working within the Bradford operating model, but at the same time it’s clearly a good club with big support so someone will take the plunge.

Ferguson is a decent manager and his name alone will always keep him in the running for good vacancies. Bradford could certainly do worse than Ferguson, and can probably do better. The same can arguably be said of us in truth.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 09, 2018, 02:46:18 pm by PDX_Rover »

Definitely a low-mediocre quality Jewish New York law firm. Probably ambulance chasers...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012