Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:22:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This is important & one reason why promotion would be good  (Read 1940 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
It's all about distribution monies and how much income a club can expect from the EFL. Streaming services, although in their infancy, can be groundbreaking in some ways;

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/june/efl-clubs-discuss-potential-new-distribution-model-from-201920-onwards/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: This is important & one reason why promotion would be good
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2018, 12:52:35 pm by RobTheRover »
Yep, and the landscape is already changing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396151

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2018, 04:48:03 pm by CottyRover »
What exactly could it mean to a club like ours, especially if we don't manage to get out of League One this season?

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2018, 05:59:16 pm by Roversfan1 »
Agreed in layman's terms what does this mean for us? I'm an idiot

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2018, 09:27:50 am by CottyRover »
Doesn't seem like so many people are bothered about this when we're taken up with the change of manager.  I do think this is important, but I would find it helpful if anyone who understands this stuff better than me  could spell out how we would be affected.

silent majority

• VSC Member
OK, here goes.

What they're talking about is central distribution of monies from the EFL to member clubs, and the split in % terms by division. As we know the Championship takes the lions share, currently 71% and the lower two leagues get somewhere in the region of 17% and 11% respectively.

Because of the new costs associated with full time referees in the Championship and the introduction of goal line technology the discussion has been around who pays for that. It looks like the EFL will pick that up as a central cost, effectively its a subsidy.

Throw into the mix the new streaming services which are coming on board, and the proposition that clubs will be allowed to keep their own share, and all of a sudden you have a new financial model based very much on the bigger, more successful clubs being better off financially than others. In some ways the disparity between the Premier League and the Championship will be replicated between the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2.

There is already a disparity in central funds and their distribution, this will just make it more evident. Its often been said that it's easier to balance the books in the Championship than it is in Lg1 and this will only make that more distinct. Streaming, like it or not, will change the landscape.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 09, 2018, 10:26:13 am by German Rover »
It seems to me the championship is going the way of the premier league and carrying out a bit of protectionism. The premier league big six bleat about how it's not fair they share their money with the smaller clubs. The sooner these big clubs disappear off to the global super league and leave us to play football the better it will be for the rest of us.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 09, 2018, 02:32:32 pm by CottyRover »
OK, here goes.

What they're talking about is central distribution of monies from the EFL to member clubs, and the split in % terms by division. As we know the Championship takes the lions share, currently 71% and the lower two leagues get somewhere in the region of 17% and 11% respectively.

Because of the new costs associated with full time referees in the Championship and the introduction of goal line technology the discussion has been around who pays for that. It looks like the EFL will pick that up as a central cost, effectively its a subsidy.

Throw into the mix the new streaming services which are coming on board, and the proposition that clubs will be allowed to keep their own share, and all of a sudden you have a new financial model based very much on the bigger, more successful clubs being better off financially than others. In some ways the disparity between the Premier League and the Championship will be replicated between the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2.

There is already a disparity in central funds and their distribution, this will just make it more evident. Its often been said that it's easier to balance the books in the Championship than it is in Lg1 and this will only make that more distinct. Streaming, like it or not, will change the landscape.

Thanks for that summary, a lot clearer now! In a way I suppose it is fair that more successful clubs get rewarded but I'm not sure that the situation where it becomes harder for lower clubs to progress is healthy. Better that the higher clubs are kept on their toes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012