Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:28:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rip Stan Anderson  (Read 4887 times)

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:09:25 pm by podrover73 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Rip Stan Anderson
« Reply #1 on June 11, 2018, 12:22:29 pm by since-1969 »
A well liked manger and had success taking Rovers to quarter final of League cup against Spurs.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 11, 2018, 12:25:50 pm by Cantley Rover »
RIP Stan, a nice man and a good manager. He made his home in Doncaster when he left the club too.

ROVERSBELLY

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 11, 2018, 12:36:36 pm by ROVERSBELLY »
R.I.P Stan , he was the manager at Rovers when I started watching them back in 76.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 11, 2018, 12:46:56 pm by Bollinger »
Genuinely sad news.

I know we have seen some great times in recent years and some sublime football, but when Miller/Kitchen/O'Callaghan clicked it was as good and exciting as anything I've witnessed.

He didn't see the fulfilment of the promise that side showed but the dramatic pull away from the re-election zone when he arrived was vital. We'd been bottom 4 so regularly those re-election votes were getting increasingly nervy.

MEGA1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 11, 2018, 02:23:18 pm by MEGA1879 »
RIP Stan Anderson,He was manager when I started watching Rovers in the mid 70s  RTWD

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 11, 2018, 02:39:42 pm by the vicar »
RIP Stan great manager for us he should of been here for many yeard for me

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 11, 2018, 02:45:00 pm by idler »
Rovers on song at his best were a great side to watch. He always seemed a very decent honest man as well.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 11, 2018, 03:17:01 pm by The Red Baron »
Rovers on song at his best were a great side to watch. He always seemed a very decent honest man as well.
RIP Stan great manager for us he should of been here for many yeard for me

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I loved the way he galvanized the team in 1974-75 when he took over. It was great to watch some real attacking football after the turgid fare served up under Maurice Setters.

The 1975-76 season was a rollercoaster. We played some superb football in the early part of the season, not just in the League Cup. However after we were knocked out our defensive problems became apparent. 76-77 was another exciting season and I really thought we should have got promotion but inconsistency let us down.

Once Peter Kitchen left Stan had a problem in that he was unable to replace the goals we had lost. He also had a crop of what seemed promising youngsters but none of them really kicked on (Glynn Snodin didn't do so until after Stan had left). So he ended up relying on old hands like Bobby Owen and Joe Laidlaw. I thought he was right to take the opportunity to go and work with Ian Greaves at Bolton because we were back near the foot of Division Four when he left. And his successor wasn't too bad, was he?

A decent manager and from what I've been told about him a really good man. RIP Stan.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 11, 2018, 04:37:36 pm by Silkscarf »
Sad to hear. Like many others on here, he was the manager when I first started going (Aug '76 in my case). Well-liked it seems.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 11, 2018, 04:53:59 pm by roversdude »
Gutted to hear this news, not heard of anyone with a bad word for him RIP Stan

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 11, 2018, 05:12:37 pm by Lesonthewest »
Gutted. Genuinely nice guy & always time for a chat about his times in football when I delivered to him & his wife in Cantley occasionally. As has been said he did a great job under his leadership at Rovers. RIP Stan.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 11, 2018, 05:45:59 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Spurs was my first year at university in London, and we were ahead if I recall for about 2 minutes 2-1, before a ghastly defensive error. Came up from London for the Hull night match before. Remember good football under Big Laurie, then as TRB says turgid stuff, followed by Stan. Certainly think he got the best out of Kitch and Bren but finances were always going to hamper creating a true winning side with promotion potential. Enjoyed attending as many matches as I could under his reign while living in London. RIP Stan. 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 11, 2018, 06:03:05 pm by drfchound »
Gutted. Genuinely nice guy & always time for a chat about his times in football when I delivered to him & his wife in Cantley occasionally. As has been said he did a great job under his leadership at Rovers. RIP Stan.

Was that Cantley or Bessacarr Les.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 11, 2018, 06:40:34 pm by Highland Rover »
Good player as well , saw him play a few times for Newcastle and maybe he should have played more for England

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 11, 2018, 07:06:50 pm by Draytonian III »
Like others have posted on here he was the manager when I first went to Belle Vue . In his playing career he’s the only man ever to captain Sunderland,Newcastle and Middlesbrough.
RIP Stan

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 11, 2018, 07:59:22 pm by essexrover »
To this day I still recall seeing "Stan Anderson's red & white army" graffitied on the wall of the cricket ground in Bentley (on The Avenue), when I  was a nipper. It was the first football related graffiti I remember & It made me think wow, who is this man & his army & triggered my interest in Rovers.
RIP Stan 😢

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 11, 2018, 08:29:24 pm by roversdude »
Think that was there for years essex

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 11, 2018, 08:53:10 pm by Jonathan »
Really sad news. He came to last season’s supporters club dinner dance and I had the privilege of meeting him there. A thoroughly nice guy - witty, knowledgable and loved sharing stories with the fans. I’m too young to remember his time with us, but my dad speaks very highly of him, as does everyone else that watched us then.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 11, 2018, 08:55:52 pm by Campsall rover »
Sad news. He was manager when I first started watching Rovers.
Miller, Kitchen and O’Callaghan were awesome to watch.
Great memories. R.I.P Stan.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 11, 2018, 09:17:19 pm by essexrover »
Think that was there for years essex
Yeah, that's right It lingered on the wall for quite a while after he'd left Rovers.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 11, 2018, 10:24:46 pm by Filo »
Like many others, Stan was manager when I first started goint to the Rovers, RIP Stan

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 11, 2018, 10:39:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Stan was the manager when I first really started getting into the Rovers. That front three... I was hooked for life. R.I.P.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 11, 2018, 10:51:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It could be argued that Stan Anderson had better foresight than Brian Clough if there's any truth in the story that Clough offered Tony Woodcock to Rovers for a nominal fee, but Anderson told Woodcock that he was wasted at Rovers and should fulfil what will be a great future at Forest.

R.I.P.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 12, 2018, 01:15:19 am by PDX_Rover »
Stan was the manager when I started watching Rovers in August 1974 as a wee nipper with my Dad and his mate Don Cook. Rest in Peace sir.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 12, 2018, 06:36:59 pm by Lesonthewest »

Was that Cantley or Bessacarr Les.

Yes drfchound, definitely Cantley.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 12, 2018, 07:09:37 pm by stuey »
RIP Stan. Barely a mention on Social media from DRFC. Plenty of mentions for Steps and Aha though. Poor show.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 12, 2018, 08:51:38 pm by Dutch Uncle »
R.I.P. Stan, and condolences to the family. Many thanks for all the memories you gave us at DRFC.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 12, 2018, 09:12:32 pm by tommy toes »
Remember going to Luton after Stan had been here for about 8 games and we'd been unbeaten, winning most of em.
We gave him a great reception as he took his seat which he played down modestly.
Needless to say we got tonked with Malcom McDonald getting a hat trick.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 12, 2018, 09:46:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
RIP Stan. Was also the manager when I first started going on my own with my mates, and enjoyed the attacking football. Not so keen on the defence although Brian Taylor was a tryer! Great memories of an improving team that just missed out on promotion after a great run of six straight wins around 1976?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012