Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:30:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: VAR in the World Cup  (Read 5475 times)

selby

• VSC Member
VAR in the World Cup
« on June 13, 2018, 08:11:01 am by selby »
  Is more or less going to give all offside decisions. Does anyone think that this will be the return of the old Arsenal one arm in the air well drilled, let them run on game.
  Done well it makes the field smaller, restricts a team from getting in your box, and is a very different tac tic to what modern forwards are used to, when defenders track runners towards their own goal.
  A team adapting to it well in this competition could do well.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: VAR in the World Cup
« Reply #1 on June 13, 2018, 11:32:56 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Didn't Roma try to do that against Liverpool (if a high line is what your on about) ok a few of the goals may have been ruled out by video ref by it was still a blood bath

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 13, 2018, 11:50:41 am by mjg »
They should stick var where the sun don’t shine and stop spoiling the game

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 13, 2018, 12:24:32 pm by DRNaith »
I'm sure Diego Maradonna would agree with you!    ;)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 13, 2018, 01:18:46 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I'm sure Diego Maradonna would agree with you!    ;)
Exactly - one of the most iconic, memorable and entertaining moments in World Cup history.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 13, 2018, 05:33:56 pm by mjg »
And your still talking about it . Var will destroy the fun of talking about the game after the game and you will have no controversy to talk about . Yeah fun that hey 😳 1966 did the ball cross the line ?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 13, 2018, 05:50:22 pm by selby »
  Yep, the man that mattered said so, that may change now, but it was all we had back then.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 13, 2018, 05:55:30 pm by mjg »
I for one will not watch football with var

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 13, 2018, 06:02:10 pm by German Rover »
And your still talking about it . Var will destroy the fun of talking about the game after the game and you will have no controversy to talk about . Yeah fun that hey 😳 1966 did the ball cross the line ?

German national football museum has a voting machine for this, funnily enough the Germans have a different outlook to what we do. The evil eye i got for pressing over the line was worth it!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 13, 2018, 06:05:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Yeah, this forum is going to be tumbleweed all through the World Cup.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 13, 2018, 06:31:52 pm by RedJ »
I for one will not watch football with var

Good thing you don't watch football anyway then eh Mick.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 13, 2018, 10:03:45 pm by RedJ »
Clear and obvious error isn't even in the official wording of how VAR is to be used is it? I'm fairly sure it's a phrase that's just crept into the narrative somehow, probably because the people moaning about it have had decisions go against them because of it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 14, 2018, 06:56:24 am by The Red Baron »
I saw the list of officials announced for the opening game. There are now NINE officials including the VAR crew. A referee, two assistants, fourth official, fifth official (in case one of the assistants is injured) and four on VAR (all in full referee kit).

Apparently there is a main VAR, who actually makes the decisions, plus three assistants. One assistant watches live play while the VAR is reviewing an incident, another watches offsides only and there is a reserve - presumably in case one of the others pulls a muscle watching the screen! Reminds me of one of those jokes about how many people it takes to change a light bulb.

I don't like to hold Rugby Union up as an example but they seem to manage fine with one TMO.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 14, 2018, 07:13:32 am by DRNaith »
You could see it as a positive. Jobs are being lost all over the place, these days. You can't get through a week without a major firm announcing redundancies. But not football, no, football is creating new positions!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 14, 2018, 07:34:51 am by The Red Baron »
I suppose that is one way of looking at it. It will eventually become a good job for retired referees. As someone who hung up my whistle a few years ago, maybe I should apply?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 14, 2018, 09:43:29 am by Cantley Rover »
Maybe most of us have a poor opinion of VAR because of the poor way in which it has been handled in this country?
VAR has been consistently poorly used but then we have some of the poorest referees too so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 14, 2018, 11:21:47 am by Superspy »
Not a fan of VAR at all, but linesmen keeping their flags down and letting technology make the decisions can only be a good thing.

As Collina's said in his interview yesterday, if a lino sticks his flag up and he gets it wrong, there's no way to rescind that. By keeping it down and allowing play to continue, you can review it after to correct something if there's been an error.

I'm not sure a tight offside call classes in the 'clear and obvious error' terminology, but there you go!

I'm inclined to agree...although I expect people will still complain as we're more likely to see more disallowed goals when offsides are picked up by VAR. I quite like that though...adds to the drama...and I expect it won't stop teams\fans celebrating as per usual until a goal is chalked off.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:03:01 pm by Superspy »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 14, 2018, 12:38:07 pm by RedJ »
I think the main problem is you've no idea what's being seen or said when there is a review if you're actually at the game. Compare that to rugby, and you get to see the review on the big screen and the official is microphoned - or at least the referee is, so you can hear what he's saying in relation to the decision and he then repeats the decision for the players on the pitch.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 14, 2018, 03:29:24 pm by drfchound »
I saw the list of officials announced for the opening game. There are now NINE officials including the VAR crew. A referee, two assistants, fourth official, fifth official (in case one of the assistants is injured) and four on VAR (all in full referee kit).

Apparently there is a main VAR, who actually makes the decisions, plus three assistants. One assistant watches live play while the VAR is reviewing an incident, another watches offsides only and there is a reserve - presumably in case one of the others pulls a muscle watching the screen! Reminds me of one of those jokes about how many people it takes to change a light bulb.

I don't like to hold Rugby Union up as an example but they seem to manage fine with one TMO.

“All in full referee kit”.

What difference would it make if they were just in, say, shorts, flip flops and tee shirts?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 14, 2018, 04:57:15 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

What difference would it make if they were just in, say, shorts, flip flops and tee shirts?

Discipline, focus, on the job. Proper workers - none of this cas, sofa sitting, chill out game of pinball, time out, new fangled sloppiness  :police:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 14, 2018, 05:09:43 pm by drfchound »

Discipline, focus, on the job. Proper workers - none of this cas, sofa sitting, chill out game of pinball, time out, new fangled sloppiness  :police:

They shouldn’t be doing the job if they were not all of the above though.
Will they have to wear their boots as well to enable them to meet the criteria.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 14, 2018, 07:02:01 pm by The Red Baron »
Having the VAR crew wearing a uniform shirt or jacket makes sense. The rest seems over the top.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 14, 2018, 07:24:19 pm by Metalmicky »
They are apparently wearing full referee uniform whilst sat in a studio in Moscow - be like me wearing a full England kit whilst watching the game....... bonkers

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 14, 2018, 07:34:05 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
They are apparently wearing full referee uniform whilst sat in a studio in Moscow - be like me wearing a full England kit whilst watching the game....... bonkers

Which kit are you wearing then?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 14, 2018, 07:36:10 pm by Metalmicky »

Which kit are you wearing then?

Clown

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 14, 2018, 08:11:18 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It would have been 2v2 at half time against Germany when Lampard scored. Please bring in VAR for crap decisions

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 14, 2018, 09:02:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
Controversial take here - if you are over 16 and wearing any part of a replica kit away from playing on a football pitch, questions need to be asked. Potentially by the police.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 14, 2018, 09:03:53 pm by GazLaz »
Controversial take here - if you are over 16 and wearing any part of a replica kit away from playing on a football pitch, questions need to be asked. Potentially by the police.

Hard drives definitely need confiscating.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 14, 2018, 09:51:36 pm by NickDRFC »

Looks like I’m getting arrested for having the temerity to wear an England shirt into work at my Edinburgh office on Monday.

Either that or I’m getting beaten up.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 15, 2018, 01:01:05 am by RoversAlias »
Totally agree, we were miles behind them. I think we'd have lost anyway but it certainly didn't help. It's also the thing that caused FIFA's about turn on video technology from "no chance we're doing that" to "okay we'll have to look at it".

TinyPortal © 2005-2012