Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Are we still looking for players  (Read 3912 times)

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
Are we still looking for players
« on June 13, 2018, 06:36:27 pm by elmsallrover »
Just wondering if we were looking to sign players now or wait till the new manager comes in or is it going to be like in seasons past where we wait till the last minute and get the players that no one wants

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Are we still looking for players
« Reply #1 on June 13, 2018, 06:40:34 pm by Metalmicky »
Any of your suggestions could be correct - the truth is, nobody on here will know...

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 13, 2018, 07:04:49 pm by CottyRover »
Presumably Russ Wilcox is still doing his job? But would make sense to get the new guy in, even if we might miss out on some targets.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 13, 2018, 08:32:51 pm by drfchound »
Presumably Russ Wilcox is still doing his job? But would make sense to get the new guy in, even if we might miss out on some targets.

Russ is still doing his job, I was speaking to him about it in the last few days.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 13, 2018, 09:08:11 pm by The Red Baron »

Russ is still doing his job, I was speaking to him about it in the last few days.

I suppose the question is does anyone have the authority to make a signing if one of our targets is available but being courted by other clubs?

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 13, 2018, 09:18:17 pm by Cantley Rover »
Surely there will not be any signings before the new Manager is appointed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 13, 2018, 09:21:21 pm by drfchound »
Probably not but players still need to be identified and agents spoken to by the CEO.

The big problem may be if the new manager doesn’t want any players that have been looked at.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 13, 2018, 10:55:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
Admittedly playing right players in right positions will help out squad balance immeasurably, but some problems solved already with Anderson and Copps signed.

I imagine that the new manager will be able to quickly deliver a player or two from past clubs ie Stock for SOD and Alcock for Ferguson.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 14, 2018, 06:33:34 am by les@donr »
Are we interested in Houghton, now he is a free agent?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 14, 2018, 06:44:12 am by Jonathan »
Are we interested in Houghton, now he is a free agent?

I think it’d be daft not to be interested in Houghton given that he’s been made available. But our problem is that we don’t yet have anyone in charge of team affairs that should have the final say. So there’s a risk we miss the boat while we go through the process. Same where other feasible targets are concerned I guess. Hopefully it all gets resolved very soon.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 14, 2018, 07:36:15 am by idler »
I would imagine Houghton's agent has already been in contact with the club. Even if only so he can compare our offer with others and have a bargaining chip.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 14, 2018, 08:12:48 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Exactly, it's Wilcox's job to keep dialogue open, no doubt passing on his portfolio of player profiles on to the new manager.

Of course, complete guess work. On the other hand, everyone could be on their jollies and don't give a toss! 😀

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 14, 2018, 10:21:47 am by chrisd_123 »
A slightly different twist on this, do out of work managers keep in touch with potential signings too?

For example, IF McCall is in for the Rovers job, would he be in contact with players who knows/thinks would be good for Rovers should be get the job? Using Houghton as an example, would a manager like McCall be in contact with Houghton saying that he's in for the Donny job and wants to bring him him should he get the job so keeps in touch to gauge interest?

So come interview day, he lets the board know his style of play and then can put down a list of players he already knows are interested in joining Rovers if he gets the job as opposed to, here's a few options I'd like to look at once I'm in the job.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 14, 2018, 11:48:03 am by idler »
I would imagine all out of work managers will have a list of potential players that can do a job for them.  Clough took O'Hare and McGovern when he moved and those two journeymen ended up winning titles and European trophies. He always said they weren't the most gifted of players but knew exactly what he wanted on the pitch and did it.
Unlike Alan Hinton who he berated after losing a European Cup semi-final.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 14, 2018, 01:08:51 pm by donnybel »
I bloody hope so  :lol:

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 14, 2018, 02:07:07 pm by bobbymax »
It was my understanding that terms were agreed with Houghton and his agent in January only for the player's personal circumstances to put a spanner in the works. I don't know if that situation could be resolved but, if it has, I'm sure we could still sign JH if we wanted him.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 14, 2018, 03:13:17 pm by Cantley Rover »
If the budget is tight I would rather we went for a decent striker to partner JM rather than sign Houghton who no doubt would cost a fair bit.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 14, 2018, 03:20:37 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If the budget is tight I would rather we went for a decent striker to partner JM rather than sign Houghton who no doubt would cost a fair bit.

We've got at least what we saved from Williams, Evina and Baudry. We should be fine.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 14, 2018, 06:18:06 pm by scawsby steve »

We've got at least what we saved from Williams, Evina and Baudry. We should be fine.

Dead right Donny, and from Alcock too.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 14, 2018, 09:13:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
A decent striker for the level we're at and, more importantly, where we want to be heading, will not come cheap! We still, then need at least a couple of midfielders and maybe another defender of some description (preferably one with pace). All those, and a new manager, will take a fair bit of support from the Board.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 16, 2018, 09:04:12 am by les@donr »
Houghton is a free agent so there is no transfer fee involved.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 16, 2018, 09:06:44 am by Chris Black come back »
Depends on what new guy wants to play but assuming (rarely case with Ferguson) that players play in something vaguely approaching their best positions, then we need definitely an experienced central striker, one defensive midfielder and one ball playing central midfielder and potentially a back up left back. 

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 16, 2018, 09:09:22 pm by chrisd_123 »

Yeah but that will be his wages/agent fee will be inflated instead.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 16, 2018, 09:21:08 pm by Cantley Rover »

Yes but he will want a signing on fee and his wages wont be cheap.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 16, 2018, 09:24:57 pm by phil old leake »
Rather than the question at the start of this thread   It maybe should be will some players be looking to move now DF has

TinyPortal © 2005-2012